The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Off-Topic
Video Games DCC

Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1726    
Old January 31st, 2014 (11:49 AM).
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher's Avatar
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher DavidtheDeadPhilosopher is offline
     
    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Location: Somewhere next to your motherboard
    Age: 28
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Modest
    Posts: 480
    I would want it for the same reason that I like downloading digital 3DS titles, for the convenience of having all my games on one console. I think that having DS carts digitally would be an fantastic option.
    __________________

    Relevant Advertising!

      #1727    
    Old January 31st, 2014 (2:54 PM).
    Ozymandias Ozymandias is offline
    i'm going on a journey
     
    Join Date: Jun 2013
    Location: under your bed
    Nature: Relaxed
    Posts: 1,026
    Meh all this VC stuff doesn't really matter to me seeing that I don't own a Wii U and barely play my 3ds XD
      #1728    
    Old February 1st, 2014 (7:18 AM).
    Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
    Pinkie-Dawn Pinkie-Dawn is offline
    Vampire Waifu
       
      Join Date: Dec 2012
      Location: California
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Quirky
      Posts: 9,501
      The main reason for the DS VCs is so they can utilize the gamepad more often for the Wii U.
      __________________
        #1729    
      Old February 1st, 2014 (9:26 AM).
      Mr. X's Avatar
      Mr. X Mr. X is offline
      It's... kinda effective?
       
      Join Date: Oct 2006
      Location: London
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Quiet
      Posts: 2,388
      The reason for the DS VC's is that the WiiU is selling very poorly, and Nintendo wants to try to add something to generate sales.

      It's hard for the WiiU's sale number to falter though - They were terriable already so it's kind of hard for them to get even worse. Dec's numbers had it selling 5.86 million units. At the same time, the PS4 sold 4.2 million and the XB1 (Jam 6) 3 million. The WiiU was released a year before either of them, and in a little more then a month the PS4 almost outsold it. So no, it's not the PS4/XB1 making the WiiU's sales falter - It just didn't sell good.
        #1730    
      Old February 1st, 2014 (9:38 AM).
      Evil Stud Muffin's Avatar
      Evil Stud Muffin Evil Stud Muffin is offline
      I like kitties
       
      Join Date: Jan 2013
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Lax
      Posts: 2,742
      Sales aside, I still don't see the point of not giving it to both. Of course thats an issue for the Virtual Console in general, not just DS....
      __________________

      #328 Trapinch
      Supporter Collab January 2015
      Doctor Who Fan Club


        #1731    
      Old February 1st, 2014 (10:30 AM).
      skyluigi2's Avatar
      skyluigi2 skyluigi2 is offline
      L-let's a-go...!
       
      Join Date: Sep 2009
      Location: United Kingdom
      Age: 22
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Jolly
      Posts: 964
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Evil Stud Muffin View Post
      Sales aside, I still don't see the point of not giving it to both. Of course thats an issue for the Virtual Console in general, not just DS....
      Yep, exactly. It's even the same with the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console...! The Wii Shopping Channel has so many VC games but Nintendo insist on releasing them very, very slowly over months and months on the Wii U eShop. I don't get it! What's wrong with just releasing everything on every system?
      __________________
      This signature has been disabled.
      Your CSS is floating up to the top left of the page. Please fix it so it stays within the signature boundary!
      Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

      You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

      Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
        #1732    
      Old February 1st, 2014 (11:02 PM).
      Nakala Pri Nakala Pri is offline
      Banned
         
        Join Date: Nov 2012
        Nature: Naughty
        Posts: 2,381
        Okay, I've just picked up Eternal Sonata, put it in the Xbox and i've been transported to the world I love once again.

        One problem....

        I'M STUCK ON A PIRATE SHIP!! D:

        And worst of all, all of my healing herbs and reviving herbs have been eaten by the weakest of the bunch, which is Frederic, not Polka, surprisingly.

        I'm on Dolce's ship and their are OP pirates everywhere and I need to get back to the main ship so i can buuuuuuuuy some damn herbs! :C HELP!! ;-;
          #1733    
        Old February 2nd, 2014 (9:34 AM).
        Evil Stud Muffin's Avatar
        Evil Stud Muffin Evil Stud Muffin is offline
        I like kitties
         
        Join Date: Jan 2013
        Age: 25
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Lax
        Posts: 2,742
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by skyluigi2 View Post
        Yep, exactly. It's even the same with the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console...! The Wii Shopping Channel has so many VC games but Nintendo insist on releasing them very, very slowly over months and months on the Wii U eShop. I don't get it! What's wrong with just releasing everything on every system?
        Nothing at all, Nintendo's planning on that from what I can gather from the Investor meeting. Just we have till wait for the next platform which would also give us unified accounts, both things they can easily achieve now, but won't. \
        __________________

        #328 Trapinch
        Supporter Collab January 2015
        Doctor Who Fan Club


          #1734    
        Old February 2nd, 2014 (1:07 PM).
        Satoshi Ookami's Avatar
        Satoshi Ookami Satoshi Ookami is offline
        Memento Mori
         
        Join Date: Jul 2008
        Location: Abyss of Time, Great Seal
        Age: 25
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Calm
        Posts: 14,528
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by ๖ۣۜTiara View Post
        Okay, I've just picked up Eternal Sonata, put it in the Xbox and i've been transported to the world I love once again.

        One problem....

        I'M STUCK ON A PIRATE SHIP!! D:

        And worst of all, all of my healing herbs and reviving herbs have been eaten by the weakest of the bunch, which is Frederic, not Polka, surprisingly.

        I'm on Dolce's ship and their are OP pirates everywhere and I need to get back to the main ship so i can buuuuuuuuy some damn herbs! :C HELP!! ;-;
        Pirate Ship? Damn, that's more popular in JRPGs than I thought =D
        Hmm... Eternal Sonata, I always wanted to try it but the PS3 version simply doesn't exist in my country or on EU PSN =/
        __________________
        ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack.

        Anime List | PSN Trophy List
          #1735    
        Old February 2nd, 2014 (8:05 PM).
        Nakala Pri Nakala Pri is offline
        Banned
           
          Join Date: Nov 2012
          Nature: Naughty
          Posts: 2,381
          Eternal Sonata is such a magical game, it transports you into another world with fast-paced action, unforgettable characters and a head full of mystical lands! ^^

          Honestly, it can get pretty hard tho. And some of the puzzling landscapes you have to get passed take up a lot of your time but it's pretty awesome! :D

          Right now i'm stuck on a pirate ship run by OP pirates which must have anxiety issues, since they keep rocking back and forth. xD
            #1736    
          Old February 3rd, 2014 (10:08 PM).
          Hyzenthlay's Avatar
          Hyzenthlay Hyzenthlay is offline
           
          Join Date: Nov 2012
          Location: Aloft on my Loftwing
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 3,363
          Luckily you quit, so now it should be easier to get back to the Captian's ship. You should let me help you out, I'm better at fighting those anxious pirates. xD

          So, speaking of RPGs, I hear Xenoblade Chronicles is a game somewhat similar to ES, no? Has anyone played this game? I'd like to see everyone's opinion on it, because being the RPG fan that I am, I was thinking of giving it a go. :D
            #1737    
          Old February 3rd, 2014 (10:26 PM).
          Cerberus87's Avatar
          Cerberus87 Cerberus87 is offline
          Mega Houndoom, baby!
             
            Join Date: Jul 2012
            Location: Dream World
            Age: 30
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Lonely
            Posts: 1,637
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
            The reason for the DS VC's is that the WiiU is selling very poorly, and Nintendo wants to try to add something to generate sales.

            It's hard for the WiiU's sale number to falter though - They were terriable already so it's kind of hard for them to get even worse. Dec's numbers had it selling 5.86 million units. At the same time, the PS4 sold 4.2 million and the XB1 (Jam 6) 3 million. The WiiU was released a year before either of them, and in a little more then a month the PS4 almost outsold it. So no, it's not the PS4/XB1 making the WiiU's sales falter - It just didn't sell good.
            Nintendo making DS titles available on the Wii U VC is a sign they're desperate and don't know what to do. I mean, you have the 3DS for that...
            __________________


            Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
              #1738    
            Old February 5th, 2014 (12:09 AM).
            jigglypuffisaduck's Avatar
            jigglypuffisaduck jigglypuffisaduck is offline
            [
             
            Join Date: Oct 2013
            Nature: Rash
            Posts: 3,806
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
            Nintendo making DS titles available on the Wii U VC is a sign they're desperate and don't know what to do. I mean, you have the 3DS for that...
            Agreed. Although Nintendo is still doing well on the Nintendo 3DS it is obvious to see that they are hurting on the console side. The Nintendo DS was probably Nintendo's best selling game platform period. Adding Nintendo DS games to the Wii U will boost sales a lot, but still probably won't be enough to get them out of the hole.
            __________________
            ]
              #1739    
            Old February 5th, 2014 (12:32 AM).
            Luck's Avatar
            Luck Luck is offline
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
               
              Join Date: Nov 2007
              Posts: 6,782
              I doubt that it'd help Wii U sales a lot. If people really wanted to play DS games, they'd play it on their DS or 3DS. Having digital DS games available is nice, but it's hardly a good enough incentive to buy a Wii U.
                #1740    
              Old February 5th, 2014 (12:41 AM).
              Hiatus's Avatar
              Hiatus Hiatus is offline
               
              Join Date: Jul 2012
              Posts: 12,233
              I think it'd be pretty sweet if they could make a mini version of Wii U, where you could play just play games and nothing else... y'know, sort of like Wii mini. It'd cost less; a lot more people would be able to purchase it.
              __________________
                #1741    
              Old February 5th, 2014 (1:21 AM).
              Luck's Avatar
              Luck Luck is offline
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                 
                Join Date: Nov 2007
                Posts: 6,782
                As much as I'd like Nintendo to drop the social integration stuff, it's not going to ever go away. That's just the current state of the video game industry unfortunately.

                The most they'll do with a Wii U Mini is the same thing they did with the Wii; axe the backwards compatibility to save a few bucks. It's really not worth it at all.
                  #1742    
                Old February 5th, 2014 (8:20 AM).
                Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
                Pinkie-Dawn Pinkie-Dawn is offline
                Vampire Waifu
                   
                  Join Date: Dec 2012
                  Location: California
                  Age: 25
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Quirky
                  Posts: 9,501
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
                  Nintendo making DS titles available on the Wii U VC is a sign they're desperate and don't know what to do. I mean, you have the 3DS for that...
                  Many people said the same thing with the 2DS despite the 3DS's option to turn off the 3D, and look how well that's selling.

                  I blame people's lack of confidence in Nintendo for being spoiled by the AAA titles from the western media, even though the AAA market is currently unhealthy at the moment.
                  __________________
                    #1743    
                  Old February 5th, 2014 (8:59 AM).
                  Evil Stud Muffin's Avatar
                  Evil Stud Muffin Evil Stud Muffin is offline
                  I like kitties
                   
                  Join Date: Jan 2013
                  Age: 25
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Lax
                  Posts: 2,742
                  No, No, the 2DS was shunned by idiots because it simply did not fit their age group demographic/really short sighted. DS on Wii U though is much like the rest of the VC, in which it makes ABSOLUTELY NO GOD DAMN SENSE.
                  __________________

                  #328 Trapinch
                  Supporter Collab January 2015
                  Doctor Who Fan Club


                    #1744    
                  Old February 5th, 2014 (9:32 AM).
                  jigglypuffisaduck's Avatar
                  jigglypuffisaduck jigglypuffisaduck is offline
                  [
                   
                  Join Date: Oct 2013
                  Nature: Rash
                  Posts: 3,806
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Nymphadora View Post
                  I think it'd be pretty sweet if they could make a mini version of Wii U, where you could play just play games and nothing else... y'know, sort of like Wii mini. It'd cost less; a lot more people would be able to purchase it.
                  They did that with the Nintendo Wii. I thin kit would be more of a hassle than anything if they decided to incorporate that right now.
                  __________________
                  ]
                    #1745    
                  Old February 5th, 2014 (9:49 AM).
                  donavannj's Avatar
                  donavannj donavannj is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Mar 2005
                  Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
                  Age: 27
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 21,515
                  The 2DS is actually a pretty brilliant iteration, I've found. The only awkwardness is that the triggers are all the way at the top while the Start, Select, and Power buttons are on the bottom right side of the system, as well as the sleep switch being on the very bottom right itself. Every other button is on the top half of the system. It fights into your hands quite well and there's very little fumbling with the top half of a clamshell since it's in a tablet form-factor.

                  Nintendo makes no sense with its VC decisions, other than creating it as a thing in the first place.
                  __________________
                  well that was unexpected
                    #1746    
                  Old February 5th, 2014 (10:39 AM).
                  jigglypuffisaduck's Avatar
                  jigglypuffisaduck jigglypuffisaduck is offline
                  [
                   
                  Join Date: Oct 2013
                  Nature: Rash
                  Posts: 3,806
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
                  The 2DS is actually a pretty brilliant iteration, I've found. The only awkwardness is that the triggers are all the way at the top while the Start, Select, and Power buttons are on the bottom right side of the system, as well as the sleep switch being on the very bottom right itself. Every other button is on the top half of the system. It fights into your hands quite well and there's very little fumbling with the top half of a clamshell since it's in a tablet form-factor.

                  Nintendo makes no sense with its VC decisions, other than creating it as a thing in the first place.
                  Agreed. While Nintendo has made a god amount with their VC games they need to be focusing more on developing quality games which will sell. They also need to focus more on their media outlets because it's not just the game which sell a console anymore. If anything, they should work on their DSware and WiiWare over VC. Keep the past in the past imo, they are focusing on the wrong things.
                  __________________
                  ]
                    #1747    
                  Old February 5th, 2014 (6:43 PM).
                  Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
                  Pinkie-Dawn Pinkie-Dawn is offline
                  Vampire Waifu
                     
                    Join Date: Dec 2012
                    Location: California
                    Age: 25
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Quirky
                    Posts: 9,501
                    Well according to these charts, Nintendo is absolutely dominating the Japanese market. It's the western market that's the real challenge due to pressuring the company to go the way of Sony of Microsoft (microtransactions, sponserships from other companies to advertise their games, edgy titles, etc.). Not even wanted-titles like Metroid, Star Fox, and F-Zero saved the GCN back then, which is what the Wii U is being compared to. Nintendo's fine the way they're on right now, and starting with Tropical Freeze, they will surely drop the bomb in the western market.

                    As for DS virutal consoles, wasn't it already explained that they wanted to provide more use of the gamepad's mechanics?
                    __________________
                      #1748    
                    Old February 5th, 2014 (7:48 PM).
                    Mr. X's Avatar
                    Mr. X Mr. X is offline
                    It's... kinda effective?
                     
                    Join Date: Oct 2006
                    Location: London
                    Age: 25
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Quiet
                    Posts: 2,388
                    Perhaps, but the timing for it was bad - Coming right after the announcement of them cutting sales expectations, it's easy to see that move as being made to generate more sales.
                      #1749    
                    Old February 6th, 2014 (2:10 AM).
                    Satoshi Ookami's Avatar
                    Satoshi Ookami Satoshi Ookami is offline
                    Memento Mori
                     
                    Join Date: Jul 2008
                    Location: Abyss of Time, Great Seal
                    Age: 25
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Calm
                    Posts: 14,528
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
                    Well according to these charts, Nintendo is absolutely dominating the Japanese market. It's the western market that's the real challenge due to pressuring the company to go the way of Sony of Microsoft (microtransactions, sponserships from other companies to advertise their games, edgy titles, etc.). Not even wanted-titles like Metroid, Star Fox, and F-Zero saved the GCN back then, which is what the Wii U is being compared to. Nintendo's fine the way they're on right now, and starting with Tropical Freeze, they will surely drop the bomb in the western market.

                    As for DS virutal consoles, wasn't it already explained that they wanted to provide more use of the gamepad's mechanics?
                    Because Japan Nintendo game collection is something else =)
                    And Japanese gamers don't care about FPS that XBox offer and there's not enough otaku to counter Nintendo sales with PS and its JRPGs =D
                    __________________
                    ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack.

                    Anime List | PSN Trophy List
                      #1750    
                    Old February 7th, 2014 (7:56 PM).
                    Cerberus87's Avatar
                    Cerberus87 Cerberus87 is offline
                    Mega Houndoom, baby!
                       
                      Join Date: Jul 2012
                      Location: Dream World
                      Age: 30
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Lonely
                      Posts: 1,637
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
                      Well according to these charts, Nintendo is absolutely dominating the Japanese market. It's the western market that's the real challenge due to pressuring the company to go the way of Sony of Microsoft (microtransactions, sponserships from other companies to advertise their games, edgy titles, etc.). Not even wanted-titles like Metroid, Star Fox, and F-Zero saved the GCN back then, which is what the Wii U is being compared to. Nintendo's fine the way they're on right now, and starting with Tropical Freeze, they will surely drop the bomb in the western market.

                      As for DS virutal consoles, wasn't it already explained that they wanted to provide more use of the gamepad's mechanics?
                      One of the comments was true about Capcom... Ever since the PS1 was around, they keep making gazillions of Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom revisions. And for some reason people keep buying them.
                      __________________


                      Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
                      Closed Thread

                      Quick Reply

                      Join the conversation!

                      Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                      Create a PokéCommunity Account

                      Sponsored Links
                      Thread Tools

                      Posting Rules
                      You may not post new threads
                      You may not post replies
                      You may not post attachments
                      You may not edit your posts

                      BB code is On
                      Smilies are On
                      [IMG] code is On
                      HTML code is Off

                      Forum Jump


                      All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:54 PM.