• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever play as the opposite gender PC?

How often do you play as the character who's the opposite gender as you?

• Often

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Depends on game and/or type of playthrough

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • On occasion if i'm bored

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • (Almost) never

Votes: 16 37.2%

• Total voters
Years
Yeah, as the title says, do you ever play as the character who's the opposite gender as you?

For me, it depends on the game, but I really like doing so because I get a kick out of it. I recall first playing as the girl in I think one of the Hoenn games, and i've played as the girl every time playing through both Emerald and Platinum. The girl in HGSS I don't mind, but i've played as the boy more times (although my HG version, which has a lot of IV breeding material, has the girl). And I played as the girl in my main file in White before erasing it, and a couple times through Black. Although I love BW2, i've only played as the girl there twice, since i'm not the biggest fan of her.

But as for XY, i've played as the girl three times out of the five playthroughs i've had so far, because I really like her design and she has more clothing options. I just like being different, so i've chosen the girl several times in some of my playthroughs for kicks.

How about you guys? Discuss.

Years
I usually always play as the female character as far as main playthroughs are concerned, like on the game I classify as my "main version" I always have to have a female character because I am female in real life.

I might try out the male character in Pokemon Y (if I do get around to that) and see how different his customization options are compared to the "better" options the female character gets.

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
I have a male character in X and a female in Y, and Serena seems to have a LOT more options of fashion than the male.

Silri

Kimono Girl
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 26, 2018
I almost always play as a female. Most of the time it's because I find the male designs tend to be very similar to each other (which gets dull after a while). If I ever get Y, I might play through as a guy just to see what some of the fashion differences are. I hear the guy's clothing options are a bit more limited than the girl's though, which is a shame.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I always play as the male, never have tried the opposite gender. I have to admit though, the designs for the male have been similar ever since Black/White. At least you can customize how you look in X/Y, but I prefer Red, Ethan and Brendan's style.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Not really. Done it only once, and if I remember correctly, it was Ruby. I was a fan of May, but I really liked the male character as well, so I ended up choosing him. xD Chose May in Emerald, though. I was planning to pick the male player in Pokémon Y, but heard he had limited customization options, so I decided not to.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I usually play as a female. The only time I've played as a guy were times when I bought the second version of a game in the same generation. I also play as a guy occasionally when I play ROMs. But my main game files are usually female :)

Shhmew

Years
Ever since it's been possible, I've been consistently playing as the female. I did play as a boy randomly once in Sapphire ages ago because I liked the male sprite, but that's it, so I picked (Almost) never. I don't really see much of a reason, the male sprite is usually more boring to me anyways. In X&Y it seems the girl had much more clothing/customizing options as well. Plus I just like expressing my femininity ;P

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Guilty of living vicariously through female characters. In a way, it's helped me to figure out certain mental and gender-related stuff irl, which I never thought something like Pokemon would do haha.
/sorryforsobstory

But yeah probably about 95% of the time I'll play as the girl. Many of the times, I feel like the guy's design is just plain ugly, no offense (BW2, XY, wasn't aware of haircuts lol).

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
Depends on what level of character customisation a game allows. If I can get something reasonably close to me, I'll play as a guy.

But that will never be the case in Pokémon, and so it's been Krystal, May, Dawn, Hilda, and Serena each time.

The age difference may make this kinda creepy- but I like the Pokégirls. I find them particularly appealing in terms of design; being an artist myself, I always tend to go overboard with detail. The pok.verse reminds me that simple and minimal designs can work wonders.

And for the most part, they're quite refreshing in contrast to the skankier fare that is standard amongst females in videogames. My penis need not be alert for me to care about girls. Videogame developers seem to forget this.

Years
So far the only time I've played the other gender is in Pokemon X, mostly because I wanted to see the different customizing options.. though it feels a bit weird sometimes playing the game mostly to play dress up with a female avatar. <_<*

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
Years
Sometimes but it almost appeals me just as much as playing as a male, but if I really had to choose which gender I wanted to be then I would obviously be male.

Sometimes playing as a girl looks pretty cool but that's about it.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
I've used the female character in at least one playthrough of every generation it's been possible. It's usually a matter of the female being much more aesthetically pleasing than the male.

With XY, however, somewhere between the customization factor and the fact that my profile is broadcast to everyone via the PSS, playing as the female isn't nearly as fun. Besides, I love the male character's fashion options more anyways. XD

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I typically always play as a guy, except on occasions where I'm either replaying, or if I dislike the design for the male character. Like, for Black and White 2, I played as female. I loved her design so much. -w- Normally I'm the male, though. My trainer for X and Y is also a dude. lol

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I almost never for some reason as I usually don't care for the design of the characters, plus I've always liked playing a male characters in Pokémon better for some reason.

In Monster Hunter however.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
The answer for me is "I want to" but "I don't know". I always wanted to play the opposite gender but I'd feel awkward sometimes and will revert back to female. xD I'm just always used to me playing the female protag. lol

Back