• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen General Fairy discussion?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I looked for the general Fairy Type discussion and couldn't find it so I assume it went over the month allowance. So why do you like Fairy types?

I am doing a mono-fairy run and I am having the most difficult time playing the game. I have one Fairy that is severely over leveled and the rest are so weak that I can't even use them. I have had my EXP Share on the entire time and the gap is almost 20 levels between my highest level (65) and the next closest (49). Just beat Frost cavern and everything but my Azumarill (the 65) gets killed in one shot.

How is everyone else dealing with the fairy types? Anyone having better luck than me?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Only have three fairy-types at the moment--Togekiss, Mawile, and Sylveon. Togekiss' doing fairly well; currently, it knows Thunder Wave, Air Slash, Roost, and Nasty Plot. I've had plenty of success with this moveset. Mawile's not so bad, either. Been able to win quite a few battles thanks to its aid. As for Sylveon, I'm not too sure about it. Used it a few times before in-game, but I have no idea how well it'd be able to perform online. :P One Pokémon that I really wished to be re-typed to fairy is Celebi. Get instantly reminded of them every time I look at it, so, to me, it'd generally make a lot of sense.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Hard to build a fairy team early on, which is probably why you have one taking all the XP.

plus, there are just so few fairy sweepers. Mr. Mime and Gardivor are the only ones. Sylveon's non-bank movepool is shallow. Try Moon Blast, Shadow Ball

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
Fairies I've used so far are Gardevoir, Mawile, and Floette/Florges.

You really need to exploit TMs in order to give them well-rounded movesets for good coverage, I find.

Mawile- being Steel-type- has obviously been pretty useful as a wall (but does need some serious EV training to boost its mediocre defensive stats.

For the most part- I think it's obvious that Fairies are largely a support type. Great resistances- but for the most part they don't have the stats to abuse them (Dark and Fighting are primarily Physical- most Fairies have negligible Defense). Their weakness being Physical in nature also expounds that fact.

Florges has proven to be decent as a sweeper in-game, at least. Haven't tried her competitively yet.

Years
I used a Fairy-type on my League-winning team in X, a Sylveon.

It was my first time using an Eeveelution on my main team as well, and it surely is one of the better Eeveelutions on the competitive side of things, Pixilate-boosted Hyper Voices will allow it to not only do some pretty good damage due to its good Sp. Attack but allows it to break Substitutes as well.

Florges is also pretty good, even if she learns all those Grass-type moves despite being pure-Fairy. She's quite the special-based tank with that high Sp. Defense, and I just love how you can find her and her pre-evos in different flower colors. Oh, and her giggle reaction in Pokemon Amie is just one of the best!

I also used Azumarill, Mawile and Gardevoir briefly, and also Klefki. They seem to do a pretty good job in their preferred roles. This generation was extremely kind to the former three, such as Azumarill gaining some extra resistances and Play Rough, Mawile gaining a Mega (and also the aforementioned Play Rough) and also it and Klefki having what is said to now be the best defensive type combination. Gardevoir is now no longer weak to common Dark and Bug moves plus she also got a Mega that can hit really hard with Pixilate-boosted Hyper Voices.

Xerneas is also pretty great, it can really make use of the Geomancy + Power Herb combo to skip the charging turn of Geomancy and get the stat boosts immediately, plus its ability makes its STAB moves hit even harder. Fairy Aura + Moonblast after a Geomancy boost surely is gonna hurt.

Even some old faves like Clefable and Togekiss are now performing even better than they had previously since most damaging Fairy attacks are special-based and they clearly specialize more in special-based stats. Togekiss may have gained some additional weaknesses but it now gets two quadruple resistances and also immunity to both of Garchomp's STAB types.

Fairy does seem to be quite a supporter type since it has a lot of status moves and most tend to have good defensive stats, mainly Sp. Defense but some can turn out to be quite the powerhouse by not only taking some hits but dishing some out as well.

I had debated a while before playing the games on whether I would use a Fairy Pokemon and it turns out it was definitely worth it, because my Sylveon helped me a lot against some tough opponents.

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
Years
I personally have really mixed feelings about Fairy-type. Overall, it is very good type and balances nicely those Dragon-type Pokémon but the thing is there really isn't that many good Fairy-type Pokémon. Most of them either lack the speed or defenses and get 2HKOed almost every time and the ones that has decent defenses are Carbink and Slurpuff. But they aren't that good attackers on comparison because they mainly focus on defensing. In-game wise Fairy-type is brilliant and well suited for the game. I myself am running Y trough the second time since I managed to transfer my Pokémon to X and decided to take Sylveon with me. It's not EV-trained anyway and haven't even any Super Training with and it still manages to hold it's own in every battle (as long as you don't use it against Poison-, Steel- or Fire-type Pokémon because it's a suicide then). :P

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
during my game play, i had Xerneas, Sylveon, Lapras, Blaziken, Charizard, and Chestnaught.

Xerneas was my primary Pokemon and was able to deal with any situation, it had Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam, Thunderbolt, and Psyshock.

Sylveon had Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam, Shadow Ball, and Return

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I personally have really mixed feelings about Fairy-type. Overall, it is very good type and balances nicely those Dragon-type Pokémon but the thing is there really isn't that many good Fairy-type Pokémon. Most of them either lack the speed or defenses and get 2HKOed almost every time and the ones that has decent defenses are Carbink and Slurpuff.

You can't tell me that Xerneas, Azumarill, and Togekiss aren't good Fairies. And its a small type since its new, so there isn't gonna be a lot of anything Fairy-related, good or bad.

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
Years
You can't tell me that Xerneas, Azumarill, and Togekiss aren't good Fairies. And its a small type since its new, so there isn't gonna be a lot of anything Fairy-related, good or bad.

Xerneas is a good Fairy-type Pokémon but I didn't include it on my post because it's a legendary Pokémon so of course it is powerful and can hold it's own in battles. And the point was basicly that if they have power they lack something that helps them survive a bit longer in competitive battles. Azumarill is like a cannon ball if you EV train it well and use it wisely but it still gets usually 2HKOed pretty easily. Togekiss on the other hand is probably the only Fairy-type Pokémon that is rather well balanced and can stand on it's own (if we don't include Xerneas here again). And yeah, I know that the main reason for Fairy-type being rather mediocre at the moment is because they lack Pokémon on that type which is a reason I wished to begin with that GameFreak would give us more than just a few new Pokémon in these games. But no, instead they decided to give us a whole lot of Mega Evolutions and said: "Oh well, these ought to fill the rest of the PokéDex. No one will ever notice anything, right guys?!" :P

BasedNate

ImDaBes
Years
Dude, I was 95% positive when Fairy Types were announced, Celebi was gonna be a Fairy type. Everything about this little guy/gal screams 'Fairy.' I even made a $150 dollar bet with a friend on that and I lost. :(

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
Fairy Types.

Are there any other Pokemon that you feel should be the type Fairy?

I think Milotic and Gorebyss should be water and fairy since they both look majestical like faries.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I was thinking Jirachi should be Fairy type.

Also, Granbull/Snubull's species name is the "Fairy Pokemon", so it makes sense as to why its a Fairy type now.

...but why the hell is it called the Fairy Pokrmon in the first place? Granbull does not equal Fairy to me. Maybe I should just chalk it up to Game Freak logic.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Are there any other Pokemon that you feel should be the type Fairy?

I think Milotic and Gorebyss should be water and fairy since they both look majestical like faries.

Yeah, I definitely agree. These two do look a lot fairy-like, so turning them into one would pretty much make sense. :] Anyway, there's already a thread going on about fairy-type discussion; this topic would fit better there. If you don't mind, I'm going ahead and merging your thread.

Merged.

travisbrown

www.pwnagebureau.com
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 19, 2014
Fairy types are at most ok. None can be defined as op or very good. the best ones are togekiss, mahwile, sylveon and florgess. And the truth is that sylveon isnt all that good. Not much on them. The best are going to always xerneas and diancie :)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Florges is by far my favorite fairy-type. I haven't experimented Sylveon yet but I want to soon, but I feel Florges pretty much went over the top in terms of fairy-types. It has outstanding Special Attack/Special Defense, and if you have it learn Calm Mind, its stats will go over the roof and it become a powerhouse in your team.

In general, the thing I like about Fairy-Types is that it has very little weaknesses.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Fairy type is my 4th favorite type. Dragon used to be one of my least favorite types, but now that it's been nerfed, I like the dragon type a lot more. A lot of my top pokemon became fairies, such as Togekiss, Whimsicott, Clefable and Azumarill. :)

I think being completely immune to dragon is a little bit ridiculous conceptually and that I'd rather that it have been a resistance. (compare to a lv1 Pidgey dodging a lv100 Earthquake because it's not touching the floor at all) Furthermore, I dislike how fairy overshadows the Ice type (my 5th favorite type)... Ice was originally discussed as the go-to strategy to beat dragons, yet ice is such a horrible defensive typing. I would have rather that Ice and Fairy resist dragon and they share in the glory of nerfing dragons than one type being the reliable counter.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
In my first playthrough ive used a Gardevoir on my team, and i was really happy with it! its a great special attacker and has a good movepool to chose from imo. Also, ive experimented a little bit with Azumarill, and if you get one with Huge Power, you can seriously wreck house

Years
FAIRY SUCKS

How the ♥♥♥♥ can a stupid clefeble win my epic Dragonite???
And my dragon moves got no effect???

FAIRY MOVES AND TYPE SUCK ♥♥♥♥ THAT FAIRY IS POWERFUL AGAINST DRAGONS

Well atleast poison and steel types have finally a purpose to be in game

Back