Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

TrollandToad.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old February 12th, 2014 (1:34 AM). Edited February 12th, 2014 by Kakarot1212.
Kakarot1212's Avatar
Kakarot1212 Kakarot1212 is offline
Resident Programmer
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: Phillipines
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Adamant
    Posts: 552
    So I would love to know, would you like to have a Game Development Contest Event?

    Comment your suggestion below
    __________________
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old February 12th, 2014 (3:16 AM).
    tImE's Avatar
    tImE tImE is offline
    It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
       
      Join Date: Mar 2007
      Location: Somewhere in Scandinavia...
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 689
      I always like to show off my stuff in contests or competitions, but, usually, Game-Dev Contests involves making a game from scratch during a timeframe, soley for the contest, and I work really bad under pressure.
      But that's just me, and even if I don't enter, it's nice to have some coordinated community fun once in a while! :D
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old February 12th, 2014 (6:12 AM).
      Ultimo Spriter's Avatar
      Ultimo Spriter Ultimo Spriter is offline
      I'm back ...
         
        Join Date: May 2008
        Location: Australia
        Age: 22
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Sassy
        Posts: 81
        First thought, no.
        If its something that takes more then a couple of weeks of your time and their isn't a big prize at the end to compensate all that time used up, it isn't worth it in my opinion.

        Second thought, maybe.
        It would have to end up being something quick, simple and work for a either a novice or a pro.
        For example, a one map game contest.
        Set the size for the map at a maximum of 1002 and the entire story needs to be played out on this map, possibly with allowances for interiors of buildings if necessary. The game then becomes solely about how the story unfolds in this one space. It shouldn't even need a package like essentials to work from, just stock standard stuff in whatever developing tool is used. Would be good for the older guys here who enter to go back to the roots and would allow those head strong newbies to get some more practice with the tools.
        Reply With Quote
          #4    
        Old February 12th, 2014 (6:41 AM).
        Varion Bluefire's Avatar
        Varion Bluefire Varion Bluefire is offline
        A.K.A The Glitch
           
          Join Date: Apr 2013
          Age: 23
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Naughty
          Posts: 662
          I'd love a Game Dev Competition, but the last one was a make a game in short limit of time, which was very unpratical since it's hard to make even a small game in a month or so, and make it actually winning-worthy.

          Something small like making a map, or a special screenshot would be a better idea.
          __________________

          Just strollin' to my next destination...
          Reply With Quote
            #5    
          Old February 12th, 2014 (10:57 AM).
          Gexeys's Avatar
          Gexeys Gexeys is offline
          Location: Ilex Forest shrine
             
            Join Date: Dec 2013
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Adamant
            Posts: 70
            I think a screenshot would be best, providing it's not edited or mocked up in Photoshop. Making a faked image doesn't really count as game development. It would also be very cool to see something that includes all games rather than just Pokemon themed ones.
            __________________
            Reply With Quote
              #6    
            Old February 12th, 2014 (11:38 AM).
            Maruno's Avatar
            Maruno Maruno is offline
            Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
               
              Join Date: Jan 2008
              Location: England
              Posts: 5,185
              Making any kind of image doesn't really count as game development. It also promotes aesthetics above everything else, which is a bad thing.

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Ultimo Spriter View Post
              It would have to end up being something quick, simple and work for a either a novice or a pro.
              For example, a one map game contest.
              Set the size for the map at a maximum of 1002 and the entire story needs to be played out on this map, possibly with allowances for interiors of buildings if necessary. The game then becomes solely about how the story unfolds in this one space. It shouldn't even need a package like essentials to work from, just stock standard stuff in whatever developing tool is used. Would be good for the older guys here who enter to go back to the roots and would allow those head strong newbies to get some more practice with the tools.
              This sounds like a really interesting idea.
              __________________
              Go to the Pokémon Essentials Wiki

              | Downloads | Tutorials | Fangames |
              | All Animations Project |

              Follow me on Twitter: @maruno42


              Reply With Quote
                #7    
              Old February 12th, 2014 (11:43 AM).
              Worldslayer608's Avatar
              Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
              ಥдಥ
              • Silver Tier
               
              Join Date: Mar 2008
              Location: San Diego
              Age: 28
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Calm
              Posts: 892
              I could get behind a 1 map game contest. It is more in-depth than a simple map making contest and it actually means additional aspects of the game have to be implemented rather than just making a map in Photoshop or GIMP and submitting it.
              __________________



              SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
              HARDCORE EDITION
              To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
              Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
              Reply With Quote
                #8    
              Old February 12th, 2014 (5:17 PM).
              Radical Raptr's Avatar
              Radical Raptr Radical Raptr is offline
              #BAMFPokemonNerd
                 
                Join Date: Mar 2011
                Location: everywhere
                Age: 22
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Sassy
                Posts: 1,116
                A 1-map game would be a fantastic idea, It would allow contestants to utilize a small amount of resources and really make every scene, everyt object, ever inch of a map to it's fullest - it would be a great way to introduce new mappers to the way all maps of a game should be arranged, and also be a fun way to mess around and get some new "completed" games out there.
                I would love it, we definitely need this.
                __________________

                ~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

                Reply With Quote
                  #9    
                Old February 14th, 2014 (12:53 AM).
                Ultimo Spriter's Avatar
                Ultimo Spriter Ultimo Spriter is offline
                I'm back ...
                   
                  Join Date: May 2008
                  Location: Australia
                  Age: 22
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Sassy
                  Posts: 81
                  I have no idea how competitions are started on this site but if anyone wants to run with the one map idea, go for it. I'd personally like to enter it but it would have to have started like a week ago so I could have enough time to plan my game out better. I'm back at uni soon and will likely have no time to enter -__-
                  Apart from that though, I refined the idea a little bit to actually set up some framework.

                  Map Details:
                  - 100x100
                  - Extra tiles allowed for padding
                  - Extra map allowances for interior of buildings. This is nullified in the case of major environment changes, they must be on the main map. So for example, you can have a cave but if the cave is going to be a major part of the game or the player is going to spend a lot of their time there, then it has to be on the 100x100 map.
                  - Tilesets are not Pokemon specific.

                  Battle Scenarios:
                  - Not necessary
                  - If used, feel free to use what you prefer.

                  Story:
                  - Heavy emphasis
                  - Must be a short story. To test, write it out and answer these two questions. Can it be thoroughly explained in a few sentences? If yes, use it. If no, can the entire story with main dialogue be written in under 2000 words? If yes, use it, if no, try something else?

                  Time Span:
                  - I wouldn't be the best person to determine this, I always underestimate this. I feel 2 weeks though should be sufficient.

                  Software:
                  - What ever you feel comfortable with using. Considering that a lot of us here use RPG XP, it would probably be the go to program.

                  Judging:
                  I have no idea how it could be done but,
                  - If it's with judges, it should use a scoring system.
                  - If it's open to public for voting, All games entered should be put up on a Survey Monkey and each person voting gets either 5, 4, 3 and 1 points to vote for the games our just 1 vote for the game they like.

                  I personally like the idea of public voting. We have the whole website at our disposal and I'm sure we could advertise the competition if need be. I feel like a scoring system will however be more fair and harder to cheat. I think Survey Monkey uses IP address to see if someone has voted or not so all you need to do is keep resetting and vote for yourself again and again which would suck.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #10    
                  Old February 14th, 2014 (8:47 AM).
                  Kakarot1212's Avatar
                  Kakarot1212 Kakarot1212 is offline
                  Resident Programmer
                     
                    Join Date: Oct 2013
                    Location: Phillipines
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Adamant
                    Posts: 552
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Ultimo Spriter View Post
                    I have no idea how competitions are started on this site but if anyone wants to run with the one map idea, go for it. I'd personally like to enter it but it would have to have started like a week ago so I could have enough time to plan my game out better. I'm back at uni soon and will likely have no time to enter -__-
                    Apart from that though, I refined the idea a little bit to actually set up some framework.

                    Map Details:
                    - 100x100
                    - Extra tiles allowed for padding
                    - Extra map allowances for interior of buildings. This is nullified in the case of major environment changes, they must be on the main map. So for example, you can have a cave but if the cave is going to be a major part of the game or the player is going to spend a lot of their time there, then it has to be on the 100x100 map.
                    - Tilesets are not Pokemon specific.

                    Battle Scenarios:
                    - Not necessary
                    - If used, feel free to use what you prefer.

                    Story:
                    - Heavy emphasis
                    - Must be a short story. To test, write it out and answer these two questions. Can it be thoroughly explained in a few sentences? If yes, use it. If no, can the entire story with main dialogue be written in under 2000 words? If yes, use it, if no, try something else?

                    Time Span:
                    - I wouldn't be the best person to determine this, I always underestimate this. I feel 2 weeks though should be sufficient.

                    Software:
                    - What ever you feel comfortable with using. Considering that a lot of us here use RPG XP, it would probably be the go to program.

                    Judging:
                    I have no idea how it could be done but,
                    - If it's with judges, it should use a scoring system.
                    - If it's open to public for voting, All games entered should be put up on a Survey Monkey and each person voting gets either 5, 4, 3 and 1 points to vote for the games our just 1 vote for the game they like.

                    I personally like the idea of public voting. We have the whole website at our disposal and I'm sure we could advertise the competition if need be. I feel like a scoring system will however be more fair and harder to cheat. I think Survey Monkey uses IP address to see if someone has voted or not so all you need to do is keep resetting and vote for yourself again and again which would suck.
                    Its pretty much nice, but its kinda boring in some ways JK! . I recommend, 3-5 judges will judge the game, they will come from the members of the community. There will be a signup for the participants and the judges' .
                    The judges will be the one that don't want to participate but will love to judge
                    __________________
                    Reply With Quote
                      #11    
                    Old February 14th, 2014 (11:25 AM).
                    Gexeys's Avatar
                    Gexeys Gexeys is offline
                    Location: Ilex Forest shrine
                       
                      Join Date: Dec 2013
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Adamant
                      Posts: 70
                      I like the idea we have but it really excludes every other games that aren't pokemon or top down RPG's :/
                      __________________
                      Reply With Quote
                        #12    
                      Old February 14th, 2014 (3:38 PM).
                      Maruno's Avatar
                      Maruno Maruno is offline
                      Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
                         
                        Join Date: Jan 2008
                        Location: England
                        Posts: 5,185
                        Yes, it's strongly limiting the kind of games you could make, but to be honest, we're mostly all here to make Pokémon games anyway, which is a kind of top-down RPG. We'd at least be able to grasp the basics of how to make such a game, especially with the RPG Maker programs making it so easy. I doubt that this restriction would actually excluding anyone, because we're all familiar with the format.

                        How about an addendum to the "one 100x100 map", to let people instead use "four 50x50 maps" if they prefer? Same overall floorspace, but a bit easier to deal with events and possible lag.
                        __________________
                        Go to the Pokémon Essentials Wiki

                        | Downloads | Tutorials | Fangames |
                        | All Animations Project |

                        Follow me on Twitter: @maruno42


                        Reply With Quote
                          #13    
                        Old February 14th, 2014 (6:59 PM).
                        Ultimo Spriter's Avatar
                        Ultimo Spriter Ultimo Spriter is offline
                        I'm back ...
                           
                          Join Date: May 2008
                          Location: Australia
                          Age: 22
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Sassy
                          Posts: 81
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
                          How about an addendum to the "one 100x100 map", to let people instead use "four 50x50 maps" if they prefer? Same overall floorspace, but a bit easier to deal with events and possible lag.
                          I kinda just realised about wild Pokemon encounters too if people wanted to try and fit 2 or more routes/special areas in their games.
                          I think for me, the 100x100 is more of a design challenge. It sounds like a lot but once you start filling it, it can fill up pretty quickly so it soon becomes how you effectively use the space allocated to tell your story.
                          Four 50x50's sounds absolutely fine

                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Gexeys View Post
                          I like the idea we have but it really excludes every other games that aren't pokemon or top down RPG's :/
                          I'm not entirely sure of what you mean. I guess the notion of battle scenario brought this up? Like I said it isn't necessary. The main point is that you have a restricted space to use for any kind of world and some kind of plot. You could make a game about tetris as long as their is a plot to it. Want to do an FPS too, as long as you can do it in whatever is equivalent to a 100x100 tile map, it'll be all good.The reason I reference RPG XP is that I figured one of the entry requirements might be to also include a copy of your game folder so as to allow the judges to see that you haven't cheated and since the majority of us here have that program, it would be the most logical one to use.
                          Reply With Quote
                            #14    
                          Old February 15th, 2014 (4:26 AM).
                          Kakarot1212's Avatar
                          Kakarot1212 Kakarot1212 is offline
                          Resident Programmer
                             
                            Join Date: Oct 2013
                            Location: Phillipines
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Adamant
                            Posts: 552
                            The idea of the 4 50x50 map is nice since you will be no longer be limiting yourself on a single map. And it will be an ease on the creators side.

                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Gexeys View Post
                            I like the idea we have but it really excludes every other games that aren't pokemon or top down RPG's :/
                            Well, if you would like to make/code another game, that will still be okay. As long as it meets the necessary requirements. :D
                            __________________
                            Reply With Quote
                            Reply

                            Quick Reply

                            Join the conversation!

                            Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                            Create a PokéCommunity Account

                            Sponsored Links
                            Thread Tools

                            Posting Rules
                            You may not post new threads
                            You may not post replies
                            You may not post attachments
                            You may not edit your posts

                            BB code is On
                            Smilies are On
                            [IMG] code is On
                            HTML code is Off

                            Forum Jump


                            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:48 AM.