• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey, Dude! Check out my new tat!

εcho.

The silver ninetales
Years
I think tattoos are extremely personal and reasons behind them are very different on a person to person basis.

I don't have any myself, and likely never will, but have a few friends with them, each with very valid reasons.

One friend suffers from some anxiety and had two tattoos done, one on the inside of each arm, of words that help her to relax and steady herself. I think they are beautiful and are a wonderful thing that she did. Another friend plans on being a tattoo artist herself and has some beautiful tattoos that she designed.

I have no problem with people getting random tattoos (after all, they are the only ones who will suffer any consequences if they regret them later). I do think that they are something that should be taken seriously, with considerations into what sort of future career opportunities you want to have, as they can (unfortunately) cause problems in different career paths depending on their placement. Same goes for piercings of different kinds.

Years
For a lot of people, the tattoos they get are highly symbolic and meaningful to them, and I think that's really cool. It's also an art form, and should be treated as such. I don't have any currently, but I would perhaps a get a few if I could find something worth getting (and keeping on my body somewhere for forever, haha.)

If you want to get random ones for the hell of it, be my guest, but you'll have to explain to your children why you have a scorpion on your chest one day. Have fun with that.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I dislike it when people get tattoos impulsively of silly or commonplace things. By all means get something of importance, but do you really need three stars on your neck or your boyfriend of a month's name on your wrist? No... no.

I also don't get the appeal in sleeve/large tattoos. But I guess, most of the time, people put some thought into those.

I know someone with a Jolteon up their side.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Please step forward for IDENT scan, koff~

"This one doesn't have the proper markings. . . step forward and prepare for immediate disposal."

Personally, tattoos are something that I'm leery of; they're something that can ID you from a glance. I don't like it; however, you can do whatever it is that you want to do with your face, body, skin, liver, or something or other. So go hog wild and get those face piercings, tattoos, gauges, etc.

Hey, Malal knows I'd change out my eyes for a wolf's eyes in a second if it was possible. Err, clarification: a wolf's eyes, for it's low-light predatory night-vision. Great for. . . midnight snacking, koffi~

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 6, 2014
I personally think it doesn't make sense to do random tattoos. Unless you are a masochist.

I do think it make sense to do tattoos that means something, because it shows the passion towards that thing. Other then that, I don't find the logic behind doing painful tattoos.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Tattoos are not for me. I don't find them particularly attractive on others and I certainly don't want one on me. That being said, however, who am I to dictate to another what people should do to their body? If someone wants to put a tattoo of a naked woman on their arm, which will end up looking like a wrinkled old prune when the person grows older, go for it. Just don't expect me to compliment you on it.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
I LOVE tattoos. I'm not old enough to get a tattoo (now that my stupid state raised it 18 now instead of 16....my mom promised me a tattoo :( )
But i'm a pro-tattoo guy, i love the ones with a meaning, that will remind you of past stuff or to mark something you'll never wanna forget. The ones that you'll love even 20-25 years later. I have a notebook and i'm trying to draw up some tattoo art for my first tattoo because i thought "Hey, if i want to make it have a meaning, why not also design it myself?" I do respect other opinions. My dad and grandpa used to hate tattoos and now my father has the initials of all of the kids' names on one of his biceps and my grandad is gonna do a tattoo later this year. My mom has 3 tattoos and my grandma has one and we are (exept my younger brother) a pro-ink family.

Ibraihim the Betrayed

You are not prepared...
Years
I personally think it doesn't make sense to do random tattoos. Unless you are a masochist.

I do think it make sense to do tattoos that means something, because it shows the passion towards that thing. Other then that, I don't find the logic behind doing painful tattoos.

I have six tattoos, a pointless scarecrow on my wrist, a pointless cross on one ankle and a pointless upside down cross on the other ankle, then I've got a three roses on my shoulder (one for my deceased Granddad, one for my Nan [his wife] and one for my country [England]), the word 'family' underneath that and just above the scarecrow I have Oogie Boogie from A Nightmare Before Christmas.

I love tattoos, personally. What I have on my body is there for me, and too an extent if other people enjoy looking at them it's for them too. I don't judge what others have on their bodies at all, either. I'm going for my seventh tattoo in a week or two, and then an eight next month. Don't want too stop until I'm covered (aside from my face, for very obvious reasons :P).

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Yeah, no, still does nothing for me. I don't think I could be in a relationship with a person who has a tattoo. It's that much of a turn-off. Especially since knowing as we age our skin looses its elasticity which makes tattoos loose their definition and they begin looking like dull blobs of discoloured skin and the person ends up looking like they went 3 rounds with Mike Tyson without boxing gloves. Yuck.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
Yeah, no, still does nothing for me. I don't think I could be in a relationship with a person who has a tattoo. It's that much of a turn-off. Especially since knowing as we age our skin looses its elasticity which makes tattoos loose their definition and they begin looking like dull blobs of discoloured skin and the person ends up looking like they went 3 rounds with Mike Tyson without boxing gloves. Yuck.

You've clearly never tried to look for old people with tattoos have you?
Hmmm

I also think not dating someone with a tattoo is a ridiculous criteria but w/e I'm not going to dictate what you can and cannot find attractive in a person.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Hmmm

I also think not dating someone with a tattoo is a ridiculous criteria but w/e I'm not going to dictate what you can and cannot find attractive in a person.

I don't have to look for any. My uncle has several and all of them have lost their definition over the years. What once were clear words are now blurry blobs that only remotely look like letters. The only thing stopping him from getting rid of them is the cost. But he's told me he would if he could. Even he doesn't like the way they look as he got older.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
Ok so you're just going to ignore the old people I've linked who have objectively well-detailed tattoos (the colour on that one guy's is astounding) because you once saw a tattoo that your uncle had which faded (probably because his artist was ♥♥♥♥ as a fyi)

Cool beans.

Years
Hmmm

Hey, I found at least one thing we agree with.

Attractive person + tattoos = attractive
Unattractive person + tattoos = unattractive

I'd love to get one. Though I need to have two things in mind.

1. Longevity-will I always like this, or is this a fleeting interests/fads? (I feel bad for the 90's tribal tattooed folks :/)
2. Artist Quality-Only the best of the best are allowed to perform artistic surgery on this body. The money would be worth it to have it done right.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Ok so you're just going to ignore the old people I've linked who have objectively well-detailed tattoos (the colour on that one guy's is astounding) because you once saw a tattoo that your uncle had which faded (probably because his artist was ♥♥♥♥ as a fyi)

Cool beans.

Yes, I'm going to ignore those images because they almost made me sick to my stomach. Gross that someone would do that to their bodies. Their choice, obviously, but around me, wear a turtle neck. Please.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
Ok now you're just being unreasonable lmao. Telling people what to wear when they're around you. If you honestly expect people to not display artwork they're proud of then you have some growing up to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Well, my first Mod opportunity.

This thread is designed to discuss the art of tattooing.

It doesn't seem constructive to describe disgust within the realm of the art form in the fashion above. There are other ways of expressing criticism to tattooing.

Let's try to be civil in our disagreements please.

Also, the picture posted by moogles demostrates at least one examples that line work and contrast can remain intact with age. I also have family members with both faded and clear/clean/distinct tattoos. It depends on the tattoo and the artist's quality, among other things.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Ok now you're just being unreasonable lmao. Telling people what to wear when they're around you. If you honestly expect people to not display artwork they're proud of then you need to grow up, and I'm not sorry to point that out to you. How pathetic.

No, not expect, just a request. I don't presume to tell people how they should dress. But that wouldn't stop me from voicing my preference. I don't think it's unreasonable to request that people dress appropriately in their presence. If someone were to come into my house I would not expect that person to show off their body art (and you're right, it is art) unless specifically requested to do so. There are just some things you don't do in some one else's home.

Out in public, that's different. If you show off like that, I'll just look the other way. Like I said, who am I t to tell people what to do with their bodies? Just don't expect me to appreciate it if you feel the need to show off.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
Years
Do those who are tattooed judge those who are not?

Should those who are not judge those who are?

I don't have any myself. I don't want any. That's my choice, and nobody questions it. People are free to wear whatever tattoos they wish to as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to question them if they aren't going to question me! It's of no harm to anybody else, really. If it was a profane tattoo on show around young children, yeah, okay, you'd have a case. But I've yet to see a tattoo like that.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
Years
I've never liked tattoos for pretty basic reasons. I think injecting ink under your skin is pretty gross. I still think that the right art done the right way on the right person for the right reasons can be beautiful, though I also had pet maggots in high school so I'm usually okay with gross things.

Way too many people need to think harder before they tattoo themselves yes, but who are we to judge tattoos? My brother-in-law has A1 tattooed on his upper arm, it was done himself when he was a teenager and it was his first tattoo, you'd think it was a mistake but he's still pretty proud of it and he's almost 40. I'd love to know how many people got a tattoo for/because of another person and that other person didn't like it. When my soon to be ex-husband and I decided to split he said to me "I've been thinking about getting a tattoo to remember our time together, do you have any suggestions?" and I just looked him dead in the eyes and said "Don't"

Back