Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

TrollandToad.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old February 17th, 2014 (4:25 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
Pinkie-Dawn Pinkie-Dawn is offline
Vampire Waifu
     
    Join Date: Dec 2012
    Location: California
    Age: 25
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Quirky
    Posts: 9,484
    Whenever I hear the term "dysfunctional family," This pops into my head: a lazy father, an overprotective mother, a naïve son, and a rebellious daughter, and in pop media, are accompanied by a baby and/or a talking animal. Normally, their purpose in entertainment is to give us a good laugh, but are usually intended to poke fun of today's society and modern family. This has me thinking, if this is how families are nowadays, then why haven't we done something about this? We hear a lot of news stories regarding rape and murder on couples and friends, but not what's happening in families. Why haven't we take advice from our Lisa Simpsons to fix our world or put our Peter Griffons to jail for not raising their children correctly. Dysfunctional families in pop culture are more than just satire, they're messages to make better families if we don't want be stereotyped by most foreign countries. What are your thoughts on dysfunctional families in general?
    __________________
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old February 18th, 2014 (8:55 PM).
    Apollo's Avatar
    Apollo Apollo is offline
    怖がらないで
       
      Join Date: May 2012
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Hasty
      Posts: 1,334
      As for me, whenever I hear the term "dysfunctional family", I think of this premade family in The Sims 2. Not the best reference, but that family is an accurate representation of a dysfunctional family in the neighborhood they live in. :P So basically, the dad sleeps with the maid. The mom is a workaholic -- not spending any time with her family, which is the reason why the dad looks for love to others. The two twins are completely opposite from each other. The elder twin is better at everything, high grades, obedient, patient, dutiful, lots of friends and her family loves her (except for the other twin). However, she's dating some teenage delinquent trailer guy. The younger twin is rebellious, and the complete opposite of her other twin, rebellious, failing in school and she's dating some smart guy who's the son of a starving artist.

      I can't say much about dysfunctional families. All I can say is that I agree that there should be something done to rebuild (or build) and to fix these families. They shouldn't refuse, because what they're doing isn't just affecting themselves. It's not "none of our business", because it is more than business. It's a responsibility, because what they are currently doing right now could possibly affect society due to children growing up in harsh environments. You don't need to visit some shrink or psychologist (unless if your family is dysfunctional to the point in which it's totally insane). Even a dinner meeting could help. They should pay attention to what everyone feels, what everyone wants and what everyone needs, especially for the isolated, the lost child of the family.

      Just throwing my two cents.
      __________________

      there is no fire like passion
      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old February 18th, 2014 (10:02 PM).
      stell's Avatar
      stell stell is offline
      a proiectura
         
        Join Date: Feb 2014
        Location: toronto
        Age: 24
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Careful
        Posts: 19
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
        Whenever I hear the term "dysfunctional family," This pops into my head: a lazy father, an overprotective mother, a naïve son, and a rebellious daughter, and in pop media, are accompanied by a baby and/or a talking animal.
        don't those archetypes seem a bit odd to you? i don't really know many examples of 'naive sons,' for one.

        in terms of the whole trope, well, it has this kind of normalising effect. in terms of popular media, the idea of a family that "isn't perfect" is pretty much required for some amount of verisimilitude.

        i mean, like, if you have a perfect family on television, it isn't going to be a hit. characters have to be easily relatable to the lowest common denominator if they're going to safely hook in money (the exceptions are all marketed to niche demographics). so we see more underdogs than any actual successful, dominant teams; we see people triumph to be led into believing we can triumph, that it is possible to triumph. and, like, the idea that families are 'dysfunctional' puts the idea into our heads that the people related to us can fail us constantly, can fight with us every day, and still love us...even if this same idea leads us to, for example, excuse emotional abuse from our parents. after all, the average family is dysfunctional, so my parents must be okay, even if they make me feel awful.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #4    
        Old February 18th, 2014 (10:44 PM).
        Raine's Avatar
        Raine Raine is offline
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Jan 2014
        Location: Ontario, Canada
        Age: 24
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Gentle
        Posts: 3,737
        When someone mentions a dysfunctional family, from my perspective, that means having problems within the household, not necessarily the social roles that the family members represent. In other words, there could be addiction, child neglect, domestic abuse or conflicts that are regular occurrences that are signs of a dysfunctional family. Would that mean every family is dysfunctional if they have conflicts from time-to-time? Not at all, like couples, there are occasional quarrels that are eventually resolved. On the other hand though, if these arguments are constant and occur everyday, then it becomes a problem.
        Reply With Quote
          #5    
        Old February 23rd, 2014 (4:34 PM).
        an illegible mess.'s Avatar
        an illegible mess. an illegible mess. is offline
        i'm still the bad guy
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Aug 2011
        Location: ivanovo, russia
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Rash
        Posts: 442
        my kind of dysfunctional family isn't a kind with small problems, such as general laziness of the father or whatnot. every family has its issues; however the dysfunctional ones are family's that have taken these issues to the extreme.

        i for one consider myself as living in a dysfunctional family. my father has very bad anger issues, and tends to take out his anger on me in verbally abusive and even physically abusive ways. my mother works so much that i never see her besides on the weekends. my sister has always ignored me, convinced earlier on by her friends that i wasn't worth her time, even as a sibling. my friends are scared of coming over to my house, because my dad can start something up at any time, and is rather unpredictable with his emotions. if you say anything out of line, you're dead.

        im constantly cooped up in my room because even i'm afraid of facing my family. every time i come out of my room i'm always insulted; told how much of a failure i am, how much of a horrible son i am. i remember when i told my dad once that i legitimately wanted to kill myself because i couldn't stand living in this family. he told me to go on ahead and kill myself and that he wouldn't care what i did.

        now, im very sensitive to certain things that remind me of my family. a slam of the door can make me flinch because it reminds me of the beginnings of my dad's anger. certain words trigger me because it's what i've been told i was. if someone yells at me, i completely lose it and i cry instantly. it's rather embarrassing.

        so yeah, i think something does need to be done about dysfunctional and abusive families. i know there's a lot of kids who are in such situations and don't even know. and when they do know, they don't know how to get out of it. it's a very important issue, especially to me who has been through crap like it.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #6    
        Old February 23rd, 2014 (5:54 PM).
        zakisrage's Avatar
        zakisrage zakisrage is offline
        In the trunk on Highway 10
           
          Join Date: Aug 2013
          Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia
          Age: 22
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Impish
          Posts: 502
          I wouldn't consider Family Guy or The Simpsons to be truly dysfunctional. Dysfunctional families in real life tend to be much more depressing than the ones on TV. I've had a few friends who came from such families. One of my Turkish friends comes from a very nasty family. His father is very strict, conservative, and controlling and he always beats his wife and sons. My friend was the youngest and he got the worst of it. The father actually once grabbed my friend and slammed him against the wall. What's worse is that my friend gets yelled at for crying. I can't even go to his house anymore because of his father - the last time I went, the father was cursing at his wife. The mother outright does not care about her son's problems. I am deeply worried about him and want to help him.
          Reply With Quote
            #7    
          Old February 24th, 2014 (7:28 PM).
          TheHelix's Avatar
          TheHelix TheHelix is offline
             
            Join Date: Feb 2014
            Posts: 10
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
            This has me thinking, if this is how families are nowadays, then why haven't we done something about this? We hear a lot of news stories regarding rape and murder on couples and friends, but not what's happening in families.
            Rape and murder are typically seen as things that happen to "other people" and isn't very personal. Family matters are just about as personal as you can get and can become a very touchy subject. News outlets probably don't touch upon in fear of upsetting audiences and losing viewership. It's also very subjective. For instance, what constitutes abuse? Some parents are all for spanking, some think that just raising your voice at a kid is abusive. Often abusive parents that are inflicting real abuse onto their child refuse to believe that they are in fact abusive. It's not something that can be easily discussed on a news network on a nation-wide scale.

            But why haven't we done anything about it? From what I know, families have always been like this. The only difference between now and then is the social acceptance of divorce and communication. It's easier today to talk about family problems without repercussions because of the internet. Before, you could only talk to people you knew in person and there was a chance it could get back around to the family.

            Education can help, but education mainly reaches the willing. Dysfunctional people tend to not be aware of their dysfunctions (or blame everyone else).
            Reply With Quote
              #8    
            Old February 25th, 2014 (5:05 AM).
            Dominick AKA Dom Dominick AKA Dom is offline
               
              Join Date: Feb 2014
              Gender: Male
              Posts: 33
              When I hear that term this kind of family pops to my head -
              A violent father who's abusing his son and his wife.
              A scared mother [aka wife] who's too afraid from everything.
              A son who's getting bullied because of rumors about his father / He is the bully.
              And a talking fish.

              What they show us in the media [like family guy or cleveland show] are completely NORMAL AND FUNCTIONING families~
              __________________


              Writer.
              I like fire type pokemon~ And Pichu&Pickachu.

              Seeking for hackers who are willing to help me~
              Reply With Quote
                #9    
              Old February 25th, 2014 (11:35 AM).
              Raine's Avatar
              Raine Raine is offline
              • Silver Tier
               
              Join Date: Jan 2014
              Location: Ontario, Canada
              Age: 24
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Gentle
              Posts: 3,737
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by zakisrage View Post
              I wouldn't consider Family Guy or The Simpsons to be truly dysfunctional. Dysfunctional families in real life tend to be much more depressing than the ones on TV. I've had a few friends who came from such families. One of my Turkish friends comes from a very nasty family. His father is very strict, conservative, and controlling and he always beats his wife and sons. My friend was the youngest and he got the worst of it. The father actually once grabbed my friend and slammed him against the wall. What's worse is that my friend gets yelled at for crying. I can't even go to his house anymore because of his father - the last time I went, the father was cursing at his wife. The mother outright does not care about her son's problems. I am deeply worried about him and want to help him.
              That's an unfortunate story; it's scary to imagine that this kind of behaviour from parents happen to teenagers and even young children. Regarding dysfunctional families, the dysfunction becomes a vicious cycle because most individuals learn their behaviours from their parents, who are generally looked up to as role models; I've mentioned that in the bullying thread as well. Unless they are taken from their abusive household(s), the potential for the cycle to continue throughout future generations. Also, abuse is not only physical, but there's also emotional abuse, which can be equally if not more painful and lasting than the former.
              Reply With Quote
                #10    
              Old March 2nd, 2014 (7:28 AM).
              zakisrage's Avatar
              zakisrage zakisrage is offline
              In the trunk on Highway 10
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2013
                Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia
                Age: 22
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Impish
                Posts: 502
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Vanille Sky View Post
                That's an unfortunate story; it's scary to imagine that this kind of behaviour from parents happen to teenagers and even young children. Regarding dysfunctional families, the dysfunction becomes a vicious cycle because most individuals learn their behaviours from their parents, who are generally looked up to as role models; I've mentioned that in the bullying thread as well. Unless they are taken from their abusive household(s), the potential for the cycle to continue throughout future generations. Also, abuse is not only physical, but there's also emotional abuse, which can be equally if not more painful and lasting than the former.
                Thankfully, my friend does not see his father as a role model - or his mother. If your parents are abusive, then you shouldn't look to them as role models. I tell him that he should try to be a better person than his parents. (He even vowed that one day he will never speak to his parents again.) Unfortunately, his oldest brother seems to be following in his parents' footsteps.
                Reply With Quote
                  #11    
                Old March 5th, 2014 (3:05 AM).
                Goo's Avatar
                Goo Goo is offline
                Fiction is an improvement on life
                • Gold Tier
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2010
                Location: United Kingdom
                Age: 27
                Gender: Other
                Nature: Naughty
                Posts: 388
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by TheHelix View Post
                Education can help, but education mainly reaches the willing. Dysfunctional people tend to not be aware of their dysfunctions (or blame everyone else).
                This is so incredibly true. People in those situations just believe everything is normal and okay. I remember when I was about 14 talking to a friend who also was from a dysfunctional home about my family and asking her if it was normal for my father to insult me and to slap or knock me to the ground when I'd defend myself, and she said everyone's family is like that and not to worry so I didn't. I had no idea how truely dysfunctional my family was until I was an adult and would casually say stuff about my family with friends online and they would act like it was a pretty big deal. I still slip up occasionally; once I was pretty tired and talking about my childhood bedroom with the manager of the shop I volunteer at and I had said "Oh my uncle designed it, he was a pretty cool guy but I wasn't allowed to see him anymore after he threatened to kill me" and she was pretty shocked. I had forgotten legitimate death threats don't happen in "normal" families. The public needs more education on what is a healthy family relationship because any situation you're raised in can become "normal" to you.
                __________________


                You know what? This isn't about your feelings. A human life, with all its joys and all its pains, adding up over the course of decades, is worth far more than your brain's feelings of comfort or discomfort with a plan. Does computing the expected utility feel too cold-blooded for your taste? Well, that feeling isn't even a feather in the scales, when a life is at stake. Just shut up and multiply.
                Paired with Josephine
                Reply With Quote
                Reply

                Quick Reply

                Join the conversation!

                Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                Create a PokéCommunity Account

                Sponsored Links
                Thread Tools

                Posting Rules
                You may not post new threads
                You may not post replies
                You may not post attachments
                You may not edit your posts

                BB code is On
                Smilies are On
                [IMG] code is On
                HTML code is Off

                Forum Jump


                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:38 PM.