• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Saiken (UPDATE! New Year's Eve. Happy 2015!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2016
Saiken (債券) means "Bond" in japanese.

157648c45c.PNG

Rom Base:Pokémon FireRed

You are just an ordinary teenager, and like all of them, your greatest dream is to become a Pokémon trainer. Unlike yourself, your brother already is one. But not a normal trainer: he's the local Pokémon League Champion. Albeit you get along with him, you two don't see each other for a long time, and you miss him.

One day, the Pokémon researcher of your town decided to give to you and your neighbour your very first Pokémon. And that was the opportunity you needed. Now, like your brother, you'll travel around the region battling, collecting badges, and most importantly, experiencing entirely new things. Maybe you could even challenge him to a battle for the title of Champion? But only seeing him would make you happy.

In your journey you'll encounter many extraordinary things, and will form a very strong bond of friendship with all kinds of Pokémon and people. What this adventure reserves for you?

-

This is a hack made to give the player a retro feeling, with the graphics based on the Generation II of pokémon. But this only applies to the art style. Many things from the more recent Pokémon games will be implemented in the game, and even the art style won't be attached to the graphic limitations of the Gen II, only based on.

Features:

-Retro graphics based on the GSC era
-Pokémon from gen I to VI
-Brief visits to other regions, like Hoenn and Kalos.
-Storyline doesn't involve a legendary Pokémon, although some of them will be part of subplots that doesn't interfere with the principal plot.
-And many other things. Some of them are obvious, others not too much.
-8-Bit Music!

Characters:

Sanders/Leafia
o7ns.png
vw90.png

An ordinary trainer. Your brother is the Pokémon League Champion.

RIVAL
ce22b611fa.png

Your neighbour. She's a person who isn't afraid to do whatever to accomplish her tasks. Although cold and with questionable ethic, she's not a bad person, only needs to learn things such as kindness and reliance.

BROTHER
nu4d.png

The Pokémon League Champion. Lacking information.

PROFESSOR
nu4d.png

Young and clumsy, but with a strong sense of responsibility.

Eshipi Region:

Spoiler:

Screenshots (NEW!):

Spoiler:

Screenshots (OLD):

Spoiler:

Support bar:

3cd08d1402.png

HTML:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=320530"][img]http://puu.sh/9LNut/3cd08d1402.png[/img][/URL]

Production Team:

me

Note that names and terms are subjects to change. I work on this hack on my spare time, so I'm sorry if I don't update this too much. I hope you guys liked what I have to show for now.​

Last edited:

Heather

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2021
Nice. Can't wait to see it all progress. :D Looks good thus far :)

qaz015393

pokemon revenge developer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
wow looks good. really like the features & am going to look forward to more updates

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
When I saw the graphics, I was like, "is this a mistake?, is this really FR based?" but when I stared at the screenies for a long time, the trainer card confirms it. :)

Very well, good luck!

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I really like what you're doing here; many people update their graphics to more recent ones when creating hacks, but for you, though, it seems to be the other way around--very creative. :] There's still some things that you need to change, such as trainer cards, text boxes, and some indoor tiles, but I'm sure you'll get around to them. When you have time, you should try making some video so that we could watch your scripts in-action. Good luck; I'm really looking forward to playing it.

Yuuki_Asura

Rom Hack Lover as of 2009... XD
Years
Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Nov 22, 2016
why use gbc graphics in fire red is there any reason for it.it looks better in fire red graphics i mean attacks and pokemons its my opinion.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2016
I really like what you're doing here; many people update their graphics to more recent ones when creating hacks, but for you, though, it seems to be the other way around--very creative. :] There's still some things that you need to change, such as trainer cards, text boxes, and some indoor tiles, but I'm sure you'll get around to them. When you have time, you should try making some video so that we could watch your scripts in-action. Good luck; I'm really looking forward to playing it.

Thanks! I'll make a video when I have time.

If you're having GSC styled graphics, you should also have GSC music IMO.

I plan to add gbc-style music for the majority of the hack, but some of them I want to be really detailed (like the Champion Battle one). Maybe something like the Legendary Kanto battle from XY.

why use gbc graphics in fire red is there any reason for it.it looks better in fire red graphics i mean attacks and pokemons its my opinion.

Dunno. It's something i always wanted to do on a rom hack, maybe because of the nostalgia factor!

GBC graphics in 3rd gen games are being more common now...

Anyways... why is the protagonist monochromed?

Because of the "pallete limit" from the GBC hardware (I know, i'm hacking a GBA game but still I want it to be faithful in aspects like this)! Look at this sprite of Red from GSC

pokemon_trainer_red_sprite_by_jamesrayle-d49b1km.png

It has 4 colors: Black, white, and two tons of red. I could use the palette style of the Female protagonist from Pokémon Crystal (Black, White, one color for the skin and other for clothes), but I like the monochromatic style more.

Looks nice! Hopefully we'll get a beta release soon

I plan to release a beta with at least one gym. More or less 30% remaining for a beta.

-

Thanks for the positive feedback! More informations and screenshots will come soon.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Well I certainly like come of the ideas presented here.
The tiles look nice. I especially like how you re-did the flowers.

My only graphical problem is the heroine's sprite. Seems off, especially the legs.
Not much to say about the story, because yours seems pretty generic.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Whilst I like your general graphics, I'm really not feeling your mapping. There is an overuse of flowers (SO MANY FLOWERS).

Perhaps you could make/find some larger GSC-style trees to help mix up the mapping a bit, and give you an alternate option.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2016
Well I certainly like come of the ideas presented here.
The tiles look nice. I especially like how you re-did the flowers.

My only graphical problem is the heroine's sprite. Seems off, especially the legs.
Not much to say about the story, because yours seems pretty generic.

The heroine sprite is based on Lyra from HG/SS:

7kjiD

Maybe this will help identify her legs position. If it stills seems off, let me know.

About the story, I plan to develop it more, but for now it's ok. I want to keep it simple, though. Nothing too extravagant, just a trainer who leaves his/her house to be a pokémon trainer and occasionally runs into not so usual things.

Whilst I like your general graphics, I'm really not feeling your mapping. There is an overuse of flowers (SO MANY FLOWERS).

Perhaps you could make/find some larger GSC-style trees to help mix up the mapping a bit, and give you an alternate option.

Oh, it's on purpose. Honey Path is a route supposed to have bug-type Pokémon, so it has honey trees and a huge amount of flowers. Don't worry, i'll not fill every route and town with flowers everywhere.

the green tiles look too bright man

It is the original GSC palette.

So, I want to say some things. First of all, dunno if someone noticed, but i'll not use only GSC tiles. I'm creating some new from scratch and devamping others. Here's an example:

7kjCs

And i made the tiles in a way that you can walk behind some of them. But I blocked some tiles that you should be able to get behind, because it'll be more convenient for map design. I hope you don't care too much about it.

7kjPb

And a little update. I think everyone remembers the old RBYG pokémon center:

7kjkg

Well, here's Pokémon Saiken Pokécenter! Based on the old design, but with some aspects based on later designs (like the PC and palettes inspired on the XY center).

7kjnv

Here's an ingame screenshot. It doesn't look too good because of the GBA overworlds, but i'll change them soon.

7kjov

That's it for a while. Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back