• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[Developing] BRAILLEMON: Pokémon port accessible for the blind and visually impaired

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 9, 2014
Hi, i am a moderator over at audiogames.net. Feel free to jump over there and register, at least to talk about the game, and it's progress. Personally, this type of project has been a long time comeing, and i love what you have done with it thus far. I can't wait to see more pokemon, towns, legindarys, jim leaders, that kind of thing. It's been my drea, for a long time to have an accessible pokemon game to play, so let me ixtend my appreciation, and also say, keep up the amazing work. Also, try not to lose motivation for this project, there are enough blind gamers out there who will eat this up, and love it. So, thanks again.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vk5ly6lqcpjqk94/BRAILLEMON0.0.0.7.zip

bond-007-deluxe-large1_full.jpg

Looks like release 007 is here. (rather, 0.0.0.7). I'm tired as balls so I don't wanna update the first post but you can download it and HAVE FUN. Let me know what you guys think.

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Hello guys! Long time no post. I forgot to post the last public release here, specifially release 0.0.0.9, the last public release. I do plan on releasing another quick beta to show that work has been made on the project. I'm basically a one-man team so it goes slowly, but it's definitely going.

Beta 0.0.1.1 will have up to Viridian City done as well as minimal graphics for those who are visually impaired and can see somewhat, as well as a transcription of the text for sighted players.

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
Well, its about time somebody started this sort of thing. :) Hopefully it comes along greatly in the end, so good luck!
I have some suggestions though, if its possible to implament them that is.

If you're making encounters based on sound so the player can know where the trainer or whatnot is, then take this idea into consideration.
- Utilize panning(if its to the left, pan sound fx to the left, if to the right then right, and if there's any possible way to do that for forward and back that I'm unaware of then use that too XD but otherwise just leave it at the middle) and variable scoring(distance = volume, farther away = quieter, closer = louder) )
- If you can, include the same idea of pan and variables coring for things like water too!

Another thing to try is this: try testing this with screenreaders like Jaws. Some formats (like some forms of Java) lack accessibility for screenreaders like Jaws, even if the screenreader is recent. Make sure the tabs, menues, comboboxes, dialogue boxes, etc can be read and accessed with a screenreader.(preferably of higher quality than Microsoft Narator, which in my opinion and experience sucks lol)

I know this goes without really needing said, but include detailed descriptions of the pokemon and environment, something at least on the same quality level as Bulbapedia in terms of pokemon. Because not all blind people were born that way. :P

I'll probably drop by and post again if I can think up anymore good/decent suggestions. lol Sorry if I seemed like a jerk or anything here. Anyway, good luck again. And I hope there's a port of R/S/E or later gens for the blind/visually impaired too~!

Last edited:

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
Years
I'm not going to play it, because I'm obviously not blind but I do however love this. I support this all the way.

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Well, its about time somebody started this sort of thing. :) Hopefully it comes along greatly in the end, so good luck!
I have some suggestions though, if its possible to implament them that is.

If you're making encounters based on sound so the player can know where the trainer or whatnot is, then take this idea into consideration.
- Utilize panning(if its to the left, pan sound fx to the left, if to the right then right, and if there's any possible way to do that for forward and back that I'm unaware of then use that too XD but otherwise just leave it at the middle) and variable scoring(distance = volume, farther away = quieter, closer = louder) )
- If you can, include the same idea of pan and variables coring for things like water too!

Another thing to try is this: try testing this with screenreaders like Jaws. Some formats (like some forms of Java) lack accessibility for screenreaders like Jaws, even if the screenreader is recent. Make sure the tabs, menues, comboboxes, dialogue boxes, etc can be read and accessed with a screenreader.(preferably of higher quality than Microsoft Narator, which in my opinion and experience sucks lol)

I know this goes without really needing said, but include detailed descriptions of the pokemon and environment, something at least on the same quality level as Bulbapedia in terms of pokemon. Because not all blind people were born that way. :P

I'll probably drop by and post again if I can think up anymore good/decent suggestions. lol Sorry if I seemed like a jerk or anything here. Anyway, good luck again. And I hope there's a port of R/S/E or later gens for the blind/visually impaired too~!
Actually a lot of these things are currently included in the game. The panning, for example. The current game even has images for people who have some vision. Descriptions for the Pokemon have been included for a long time. I appreciate your knowledge though, yay!

There's issues with compatibility with JAWS due to issues with GM which are non reconcilable but NVDA seems to not have issues. We will be upgrading our speaker so that it is compatible with NVDA and is used if NVDA is active.

How our speaker works is this - it simply sends strings to the TTS software to speak. It only is functional with SAPI right now, but we will be implementing it so that it is diverted to NVDA if it is active. We've been busy with other stuff at the moment though lol. We eventually also want to get braille implemented as well. JUST IN CASE you know!

I won't be making a release until the save system is in place and that will be a while's away, but I've added all sorts of little clean ups here and there both to the main engine as well as the accessibility parts, adding a few features and fixing some audio glitches.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
Years
This is so awesome! And although I do not personally know a blind person, I would be more than happy to be a betatester of this inspiring project! I will try to play the current version when I get home ;)

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I'm going to warn you - this is a version where I disabled the graphics, bar those I put in for visually impaired players for seeing the pokemon. Therefore I highly suggest that you wear headphones. It will take a little getting used to but you will get the hang of it. As you approach objects you will hear certain sounds (beeps are people ect.), and certain ambiance sounds will help you lead you along your way. You also have certain buttons that can help you, ones that point out your current position, the location of important areas, ect.

I'm updating the link because I just realized I forgot the documentation >.> I HIGHLY suggest you read if and have it for reference so you can figure out how to play.

One note since I forgot to implement a sound for it this version - In the pokemon center, as you enter, directly north is Nurse Joy. If you go all the way up to Nurse joy, and go to the right, you will approach the computer.

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Braillemon has been updated.

Download it here!

Some updates:
A FEW IMPORTANT NOTES:
-End turn report toggle has been changed from F10 to F8.
-Music Volume Reduction is now F9 for lower, F10 for higher. Note: It's still a bit buggy in battles but should work in the overworld.

NEW STUFF:
-More stuff on Route 4
-Mount Moon
-Cerulean City
-Route 24/25/Bill's House
-You can get the Cascade badge now!

FIXES:
-some AI stuff
-Abiltiies
-Deposit glitch
-some text errors
-other stuff

Years
I tried this with closed eyes.

Navigation can be a bit hard but otherwise this is an awesome project. You always know exactly what's going on during Pokemon battles, which is awesome.

I stopped playing after beating Brock because i'm not blind so i rather play the original game(obviously), but i'm sure blind people will really appreciate this.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I have to say, this is really cool. Always great to see games being brought to those who don't normally have the chance to play them. Good luck. I really hope to see this one finished. :D

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I'm still working on the project, but I'm working on something that's extremely tedious that will probably push back development a month. I'm also really busy at work so I can't squeeze much time working on it at the exact moment.

But this new update will support translations, which is exciting! Also, field moves have been programmed.

Hopefully I will be able to add NVDA support but it's been put on the backburner for a while. Probably not in next release.

I'm still working on the project, but I'm working on something that's extremely tedious that will probably push back development a month. I'm also really busy at work so I can't squeeze much time working on it at the exact moment.

But this new update will support translations, which is exciting! Also, field moves have been programmed.

Hopefully I will be able to add NVDA support but it's been put on the backburner for a while. Probably not in next release.

Back