In-Game Team Help Can't defeat the Elite Four with your current team? Well then, this is your place! Ask for team help concerning in-game play. Any teams meant for battling other people must be posted in the Battle Center's main forum instead.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old March 7th, 2014 (11:25 PM).
ClawShotter ClawShotter is offline
     
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 3
    Hey Guys! So I do a Let's play on Pokemon FireRed and I have a few questions. My subs have said Nidoking was alright, but I need more opinion. Because I myself have NEVER used him! And I really want a Poison type! And also, Lapras vs Gyarados? I really want Lapras, but really which do you guys prefer? It'd be amazing to get some opinion and advice! Thanks!

    If you guys are interested in checking it out, my channel is the same as my name. ClawShotter. Idc if you do or not, but I seriously need opinions it'll really help in my LP! (btw I just beat misty so i'm in the beginning)
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old March 8th, 2014 (2:13 AM).
    Jehowi Jehowi is offline
    Your Master Superior
       
      Join Date: May 2009
      Location: Belgium
      Age: 26
      Gender:
      Nature: Careful
      Posts: 62
      Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jehowi
      I used to pick Nidoking all the time back in the red/blue days, since Nidoran (m) could be found in that grassy spot west of Viridian City. I'd say he's a good choice to play through the game. He has high offensive stats and can be used in many different ways, as he can learn a lot of different attacks. He has STAB earthquake, that's a plus, and his Poison Point ability can come in handy sometimes as well. Make sure you've got his weakness to water and ground covered, though. Perhaps by some grass type? Was your starter Bulbasaur?
      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old March 8th, 2014 (6:51 PM).
      RiverStyxx's Avatar
      RiverStyxx RiverStyxx is offline
      - Vaporeon Rules The Styxx! -
         
        Join Date: Mar 2014
        Location: Woodland
        Age: 24
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 16
        Nidoking is great, good diverse movepole to work with! Also with Lapras vs Gyrados here are the stats:

        Lapras: 130 HP, 85 Attack, 80 Defense, 85 Special Attack, 95 Special Defense, 60 Speed.

        Gyrados: 95 HP, 125 Attack, 79 Defense, 60 Special Attack, 100 Special Defense, 81 Speed.

        Lapras is great staller and wall and Gyrados is good sweeper!

        Your choice honestly!
        __________________
        Currently Playing: Pokemon Y
        Pokemon Y IGN: Styxx
        Pokemon Y FC: 1263.7544.6559
        My Friend Safari Pokemon: Fairy Type


        Reply With Quote
          #4    
        Old March 8th, 2014 (6:59 PM).
        Shadeh's Avatar
        Shadeh Shadeh is offline
        KABOOM!
           
          Join Date: Nov 2013
          Location: The Shadows
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 141
          I LOVED Nidoking. Don't use the moon stone on him until you get good moves for him. Because once you evolve him, say goodbye to good moves that he will learn earlier on.
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #5    
          Old March 8th, 2014 (9:29 PM).
          RoreyG's Avatar
          RoreyG RoreyG is offline
          Lizardon Man
             
            Join Date: Oct 2012
            Location: Atop Mount Silver
            Age: 25
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Adamant
            Posts: 412
            Nidoking's probably one of the best and easiest Pokemon to use In-Game. Whenever I use Nidioking In-Game in FR/LG, I tend to use this Moveset:

            - Earthquake
            - Brick Break
            - Strength/ Thrash
            - Megahorn (which is one of the few moves Nidoking learns naturally after you use the Moon Stone).

            If you want, you could put Toxic on him or You can put the Thunderbolt/ Ice Beam Combo on him. However, Earthquake is a MUST regardless of what you choose to do. You can use Dig until you get Earthquake after you beat the Viridian City Gym.

            Sludge Bomb is another option but you don't get it until the Post-Game when you beat Team Rocket in their Base on Five Island.


            Regarding the Lapras vs Gyarados issue, it depends on what you want to do. The Physical/ Special move split doesn't exist in Gen 3 and whether a move is Physical or Special depends on the Type. Water Type is Special based so if you want to maximize your use of it, go with Lapras. I find that the most useful ones have the Shell Armor ability.

            I usually tend to go with this Moveset for Lapras:
            - Surf
            - Ice Beam (particularly helpful against Lance)
            - Body Slam
            - Psychic (particularly helpful against Agatha)


            If you decide to go with Gyarados, choose one with a nature that raises Special Attack to maximize your use of Surf (you'll need the extra help, even with STAB and it's base power). Your best Moveset would be:
            - Surf (STAB)
            - Earthquake (for Coverage against Electric Types)
            - Dragon Dance (to set up for a Sweep)
            - Return/ Hyper Beam (Neutrality)

            Keep in mind that if you go with Gyarados, you NEED to put Earthquake on it, thus, depriving Nidoking of it.
            __________________

            Reply With Quote
              #6    
            Old March 9th, 2014 (1:19 AM).
            classiccartoonsftw's Avatar
            classiccartoonsftw classiccartoonsftw is offline
            Nintendo is for awesome people
               
              Join Date: Jul 2011
              Gender: Male
              Posts: 9,246
              As others have said, Nidoking is a great Pokemon. It has a good typing, good attacking stats, and a great movepool. Personally, I'd recommend to evolve your Nidorino as soon as it has learnt Poison Sting.

              As for Lapras vs Gyarados, I'd go with Lapras. Since this is a 3rd generation game, the Physical/Special split doesn't exist, and Gyarados doesn't get any Flying moves aside from Hidden Power. And then again, you could most likely end up getting the wrong HP type. In other words, go with Lapras.
              __________________


              Come play The Great Pokemon Battle 4!
              Reply With Quote
                #7    
              Old March 10th, 2014 (1:51 PM).
              ClawShotter ClawShotter is offline
                 
                Join Date: Feb 2014
                Gender: Male
                Posts: 3
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Jehowi View Post
                I used to pick Nidoking all the time back in the red/blue days, since Nidoran (m) could be found in that grassy spot west of Viridian City. I'd say he's a good choice to play through the game. He has high offensive stats and can be used in many different ways, as he can learn a lot of different attacks. He has STAB earthquake, that's a plus, and his Poison Point ability can come in handy sometimes as well. Make sure you've got his weakness to water and ground covered, though. Perhaps by some grass type? Was your starter Bulbasaur?
                No STUPIDLY I picked Charmander. I know I should have picked bulbasaur because I want a Lapras, AND I want an Arcanine. Didn't really think it through to well..
                Reply With Quote
                  #8    
                Old March 10th, 2014 (1:54 PM).
                ClawShotter ClawShotter is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Feb 2014
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 3
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by RoreyG View Post
                  Nidoking's probably one of the best and easiest Pokemon to use In-Game. Whenever I use Nidioking In-Game in FR/LG, I tend to use this Moveset:

                  - Earthquake
                  - Brick Break
                  - Strength/ Thrash
                  - Megahorn (which is one of the few moves Nidoking learns naturally after you use the Moon Stone).

                  If you want, you could put Toxic on him or You can put the Thunderbolt/ Ice Beam Combo on him. However, Earthquake is a MUST regardless of what you choose to do. You can use Dig until you get Earthquake after you beat the Viridian City Gym.

                  Sludge Bomb is another option but you don't get it until the Post-Game when you beat Team Rocket in their Base on Five Island.


                  Regarding the Lapras vs Gyarados issue, it depends on what you want to do. The Physical/ Special move split doesn't exist in Gen 3 and whether a move is Physical or Special depends on the Type. Water Type is Special based so if you want to maximize your use of it, go with Lapras. I find that the most useful ones have the Shell Armor ability.

                  I usually tend to go with this Moveset for Lapras:
                  - Surf
                  - Ice Beam (particularly helpful against Lance)
                  - Body Slam
                  - Psychic (particularly helpful against Agatha)


                  If you decide to go with Gyarados, choose one with a nature that raises Special Attack to maximize your use of Surf (you'll need the extra help, even with STAB and it's base power). Your best Moveset would be:
                  - Surf (STAB)
                  - Earthquake (for Coverage against Electric Types)
                  - Dragon Dance (to set up for a Sweep)
                  - Return/ Hyper Beam (Neutrality)

                  Keep in mind that if you go with Gyarados, you NEED to put Earthquake on it, thus, depriving Nidoking of it.
                  AMAZING REPLY! You are seriously awesome. Taking time out of your day to answer with that much detail. You sir. Are awesome.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #9    
                  Old March 10th, 2014 (2:41 PM). Edited March 10th, 2014 by RoreyG.
                  RoreyG's Avatar
                  RoreyG RoreyG is offline
                  Lizardon Man
                     
                    Join Date: Oct 2012
                    Location: Atop Mount Silver
                    Age: 25
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Adamant
                    Posts: 412
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by ClawShotter View Post
                    AMAZING REPLY! You are seriously awesome. Taking time out of your day to answer with that much detail. You sir. Are awesome.

                    No Problem man. It's cool.

                    Charmander's a great starter too. He's usually my choice for the Kanto Games.

                    Catch a Mankey in the route left of Viridian City (that'll take care of Brock) and a Pikachu in Viridian Forest (that'll take care of Misty) and it'll be smooth sailing for You and Charizard.

                    Use this moveset for Charizard:
                    - Flamethrower (STAB, unstoppable)
                    - Fly (STAB)
                    - Dragon Claw (good Special based coverage move in Gen 3, use Slash until you get the TM in Victory Road)
                    - Steel Wing (for those pesky Rock Types, you get the TM in the Safari Zone

                    It'll be worth it too because Primape and Raichu are AMAZING!!!
                    __________________

                    Reply With Quote
                    Reply
                    Quick Reply

                    Sponsored Links
                    Thread Tools

                    Posting Rules
                    You may not post new threads
                    You may not post replies
                    You may not post attachments
                    You may not edit your posts

                    BB code is On
                    Smilies are On
                    [IMG] code is On
                    HTML code is Off

                    Forum Jump


                    All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:45 PM.