• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Coming out as an Otherkin

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Otherkin is a somewhat underground culture of those who believe that they, in spirit, mentality or otherwise, are something else rather than Human, despite being Human anyway. This belief almost always requires a belief in reincarnation (though nothing is definitive, and everyone who follows this sort of belief has their own thoughts and views on it, so I'm trying my best not to step on any toes) and varies from people believing they are everything from animals, to otherworldly or fantasy creatures, to angels, demons, gods, demigods, and even fictional characters. Whether others believe it or not, it has a surprisingly large following (and should not be confused with the furry community, though there are people who follow/support both, they are very different things) and most everyone I've met within it keep it to themselves. And this is understandable. People are brash and judgemental, and society give people a hive-mind of negativity and discrimination that, whether it is true or not, is not right to act like. Otherkin as a whole is not something that can be proven or disproven, mostly because people who claim to P-Shift (physically shift their body, for example, growing fur or changing skeletal structure) are lying and do not have proof to back it up. It's all about the mental process, the emotional toll it carries, and everything relating to those past lives or other spirits inside. I tend to believe in the otherkin who have had a hard time in their lives because of the fact; the community is also, unfortunately, full of roleplayers (not like on this site, which is creative writing, which I'm also a part of) who fake it for attention or people who just come in to harass or troll the Otherkin community. It's not the type of thing one would expect others to easily believe, but it is definitely something easy to mock if admitted.

That said, I've seen some good people in this community, and I feel like this one may be more understanding of the qualms related to the topic, whether they believe it is possible or not. PokeCommunity has always been kind and fair, as far as my RPCorner experience has been, and I have no reason to believe any other section is any different. Hi, by the way. I almost never diverge from RPCorner, but I figured, if I'm going to do this, this would be the best place.

I am part of this community, if it wasn't inherently obvious. I know the massive, crippling hindrances to being a part of it, and I've felt them many a time before now. At this point, I honestly don't care what others think of me, how believable my story is, any of it. But despite being a loner and introvert beyond belief, I feel better just putting them out in the open, whatever happens. My story is actually probably one of the less believable of the bunch, but either way, I'm going to put it out here. First, because laziness, here's a little excerpt of what Wikipedia says about Otherkin:

Otherkin are a community of people who see themselves as partially or entirely non-human. They believe that they are, in spirit if not in body, not human. This is explained by some members of the otherkin community as possible through reincarnation, having a nonhuman soul, ancestry, or symbolic metaphor. According to Joseph Laycock, "scholarship has framed this claim as religious because it is frequently supported by a framework of metaphysical beliefs." Not all otherkin necessarily share these beliefs; some may simply prefer to identify as non-human.

Otherkin largely identify as mythical creatures, with others identifying as real-life creatures or creatures from fantasy or popular culture. Examples include: angels, demons, dragons, elves, fairies, sprites, and plants. Many otherkin believe in the existence of a multitude of parallel/alternative universes, which would explain the existence and the possibility to relate to fantastical beings and even fictional characters.

With regards to their online communities, otherkin largely function without formal authority structures, and mostly focus on support and information gathering, often dividing into more specific groups based on kintype. There are occasional offline gathers, but the otherkin network is an almost entirely online phenomenon.

Some otherkin (such as elvenkin) claim they are allergic to iron (and products of modern technology), whilst other otherkin (such as dragonkin) claim that having no allergies is a sign of being an otherkin. Some otherkin also claim to be especially empathic and attuned to nature. Some claim to be able to shapeshift mentally or astrally—meaning that they experience the sense of being in their particular form while not actually changing physically.

The therian and vampire subcultures are related to the otherkin community, and are considered part of it by most otherkin, but are culturally and historically distinct movements of their own despite some overlap in membership.

Here's my Otherkin story, memories I've collected after years of awakening, for those curious. I'm "coming out" here and now.

Spoiler:

I've opened up, purely for the sake of opening up, and spreading awareness that this is in fact a thing that numerous people believe in, myself included. If there are others here, I hope to help you to be open as I have. Otherwise, I only ask that criticism is constructive and that conversation that may arise here is rational and open-minded. We can't prove that any of this is real, just as much as others cannot disprove anything spiritual or mental. Just be mindful of feelings and beliefs and try to be more open than judgemental.

Last edited:

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Hey cool! I'll be honest that I've had the thought cross my mind a lot. I would definitely say that I have a close affinity to corvids. I dunno if I'm actually otherkin though. I'm honestly just some sort of hobbly bobbly jobbly wobbly something that I just call me.

Anyways, glad that you could come to terms with yourself.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Thank you. Though I have come to terms long ago, I just decided I am going to be open about it in this community, despite what happens.

On a side note, your sig-gif is so freaking precious.

Monophobia

Already Dead
Years
I'm not quite sure I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong - you basically consider yourself to be partially non-human because you have memories and such from a past life where you were such a thing?

I actually find this extremely interesting (I have a journalistic heart). More information would be amazing, if you can dig up some more examples or something!

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I'm not quite sure I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong - you basically consider yourself to be partially non-human because you have memories and such from a past life where you were such a thing?

I actually find this extremely interesting (I have a journalistic heart). More information would be amazing, if you can dig up some more examples or something!
More or less completely nonhuman at this point, minus a small portion of a previous life being Human, and my own being physically human. I have the mentality of my first two lives, I feel that shape and feeling in spirit, that sort of thing. "Phantom Limbs" is another thing; meaning to feel a ligament or body part you do not have; like wings, paws, and other features.

I can only provide as much information as is specifically asked about, though hopefully there are others here willing to discuss their own thoughts and information as well.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
Years
For some reason I can't help but feel this is a very elaborate troll of some kind or a fiction gone a wee bit far... but I'll keep an open mind and ask a few questions before I draw anything from this.

First of all, how did you collect these memories, exactly? Can you explain the process of collecting said memories in some degree of detail?

Then, what do you want to do in life? Like, is this something you feel you can apply to some significant purpose in your life? Would being a demon in a past life have influenced your personality and who you are today, in your opinion? Would a law abiding view go out of the window when it came to usage of drugs and such, as a result of your past influences?

This is definitely the most peculiar thing I've seen on this forum to date and I really don't think this is one I'll wrap my head around. I'll try, I suppose.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
For some reason I can't help but feel this is a very elaborate troll of some kind or a fiction gone a wee bit far... but I'll keep an open mind and ask a few questions before I draw anything from this.

First of all, how did you collect these memories, exactly? Can you explain the process of collecting said memories in some degree of detail?

Then, what do you want to do in life? Like, is this something you feel you can apply to some significant purpose in your life? Would being a demon in a past life have influenced your personality and who you are today, in your opinion? Would a law abiding view go out of the window when it came to usage of drugs and such, as a result of your past influences?

This is definitely the most peculiar thing I've seen on this forum to date and I really don't think this is one I'll wrap my head around. I'll try, I suppose.
A lot of people tend to make those sorts of assumptions. but the best I can do is assure you I am serious about this.

Memories can be discovered in many ways. I'm probably not the most common type, but I at least know some about most of the more common 'kin types. Otherkin generally have an 'awakening' at some point in their lives, when these memories begin popping up in their minds. Once the awakening happens, they start gaining these memories in succession. Some dream of them, some meditate and can more likely trigger them, some just have certain triggers that need to be pulled first. Personally, I get mine through my sleep, though I'm not one to call them dreams. I have not had a single dream in all of my childhood to this day; my sleep is almost always just a black void of sleep and nothing more. I assume it was what most people feel when they clear their minds and meditate; especially since I /cannot/ meditate no matter how I try. After my awakening, these memories all came with time, I began to piece them together, try to dig deeper into them, try to understand everything and how they correlate with one another. The story provided is the result. The best I can describe it is vivid, but not lucid, with an overwhelming sense of deja vu.

Personally, while it does toll on my personality, and make it much harder to fit in (I've sort of made a human facade that I fall under with near everyone) or be myself, it hasn't affected my this-life goals in terms of career or anything of that sort. I've recently sort of achieved my top-goal already, but as far as career I'd say I want to animate. For me, my only significant focus in life is my mate whom I recently found, and I'm perfectly happy focusing all on her. RAIKEN are all born with one thing that they cannot be happy without, but they can be happy with no matter the circumstance. In my case, it was love with the twinflame (a relationship belief that two people are just halves of one soul waiting to find one another), so even in the worst scenarios, she will make me happy. It definitely /is/ my personality, though I'm very much adaptable (though not so much in various places) so I'm trying to fit in and be more morally correct. I'm not sure how to answer the last question exactly, but I've been working perfectly fine within the rules of the world and my country of origin, so there have been no issues on that front; and I've never done or had the desire to do any drugs, personally.

Years
You mention that you feel non-human - how would you describe being human? In your understanding, what are the characteristics that would qualify one to be human? Why do you believe you are something other-than-human yet still describe yourself as being human anyways (as in the OP)?

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
You mention that you feel non-human - how would you describe being human? In your understanding, what are the characteristics that would qualify one to be human? Why do you believe you are something other-than-human yet still describe yourself as being human anyways (as in the OP)?
Boy, I should've been a little more prepared for Q&A than I was... I don't mind it much, just kinda lazy.

I would describe human as... I guess feeling a more proper fit in this body, feeling actually related to my blood, having the common sense that nearly everyone else seems to have while I lack. It's very difficult to put into words past saying something simple like "it just doesn't feel right". When I describe myself as Human, I refer to one previous past life (though it made very little mark on my soul, I think), or I refer to myself in this life. Because I can't say that I'm physically not human, that would be flat-out untrue. The act of being nonhuman means that while you reside in a human body, you come from elsewhere. I don't know if this explained much, but I've always had an issue with proper wording and the result has been a lot of unintended negative conflict.

Years
I would describe human as... I guess feeling a more proper fit in this body, feeling actually related to my blood, having the common sense that nearly everyone else seems to have while I lack. It's very difficult to put into words past saying something simple like "it just doesn't feel right".

Could you expand on the first sentence? Especially because I'm not sure what you mean when you say "feeling actually related to [your] blood". As for the second, are you familiar at all with the psychological concepts of dysphoria and dissociation?

Is this "otherkin" identity your only outlet for these feelings? Are you aware of and have you considered others? What led you to otherkin over what could be argued to be a world of other possibilities?

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Could you expand on the first sentence? Especially because I'm not sure what you mean when you say "feeling actually related to [your] blood". As for the second, are you familiar at all with the psychological concepts of dysphoria and dissociation?

Is this "otherkin" identity your only outlet for these feelings? Are you aware of and have you considered others? What led you to otherkin over what could be argued to be a world of other possibilities?
By blood I meant people who are related to me in this life by blood. I'm stillnot sure how to explain it any better because I really don't know any words good enough to properly describe it, if they exist. I'm familiar with the terms, but I sincerely don't feel like either apply.

I wouldn't really call it an outlet, either. I questioned many things as it started, but pieces continued fitting together, I met others with their own experiences (a lot of people actually), and when I met the person who was my sister from my first life, it became all the more definitive, especially because she awoke with a memory that I also had, that we had both been there for; despite my not even telling her anything about it. I mean, I'm not expecting others to believe it, and I was somewhat anticipating that others might try to diagnose it to a mental condition, but I don't think doing so would solve nor prove/disprove anything either. I started out full of doubt, but kept an open mind to it all. My thoughts and reasoning in piecing everything together were logically made and now, after all of it, I feel I've some stable footing, so to speak, on who and what I am or was.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I don't really know what it is that you want to discuss about this. You're free to believe whatever you want to believe and no one's got a right to stop you if you aren't hurting anyone. I mean, that won't stop me from believing you're some rather large number of cards short of a full deck, but hey, I'm pretty tolerant of crazy as long as it's not obnoxious.

That said, trying to start a public discussion about it kind of makes you like the guy who asks you on the street if you'd like to take a minute to hear about Jesus. It's just awkward. Beliefs like this are a personal thing and you usually only discuss them with others already interested in them (usually fellow believers). Talking about your particular set of beliefs to people who don't share them and haven't sought out information about them... I'm not seeing the point. Like I said, it just seems weird. If they wanted to know, they'd Google it. So I guess I'm not seeing the reasoning behind it. I just think a general discussion of uncommon beliefs would be more appropriate for this forum (but it's not my call).

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I don't really know what it is that you want to discuss about this. You're free to believe whatever you want to believe and no one's got a right to stop you if you aren't hurting anyone. I mean, that won't stop me from believing you're some rather large number of cards short of a full deck, but hey, I'm pretty tolerant of crazy as long as it's not obnoxious.

That said, trying to start a public discussion about it kind of makes you like the guy who asks you on the street if you'd like to take a minute to hear about Jesus. It's just awkward. Beliefs like this are a personal thing and you usually only discuss them with others already interested in them (usually fellow believers). Talking about your particular set of beliefs to people who don't share them and haven't sought out information about them... I'm not seeing the point. Like I said, it just seems weird. If they wanted to know, they'd Google it. So I guess I'm not seeing the reasoning behind it. I just think a general discussion of uncommon beliefs would be more appropriate for this forum (but it's not my call).
While I feel that statement could have been softened a little more than that, I do respect your right to believe what you will. And hey, I am crazy, just not in the way one might think.

It's more of an awareness sort of thing. Most people have never heard of anything of the sort before, and they couldn't google something that they'd never heard anything about. I wanted to just throw it out there (so to speak) to let people know that it is in fact a thing that exists and has a cultured following behind it. Discussion is pretty much free reign from there.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
I don't know if this is related, but sometimes I feel like I'm an African-American. The discrimination I face daily wounds me deeply - people just assume I'm some sort of "wigger", but the truth is that inside I really feel that I am black on the outside.

twocows

Years
While I feel that statement could have been softened a little more than that, I do respect your right to believe what you will. And hey, I am crazy, just not in the way one might think.

It's more of an awareness sort of thing. Most people have never heard of anything of the sort before, and they couldn't google something that they'd never heard anything about. I wanted to just throw it out there (so to speak) to let people know that it is in fact a thing that exists and has a cultured following behind it. Discussion is pretty much free reign from there.
I probably came off a bit more of a jerk than I meant to be, since I've been drinking tonight and I tend to be a lot more blunt and a lot less tactful when I am. But I did mean what I said, I just didn't mean to be as much of a jerk as I probably was.

I'm fine with discussions on a specific, well-known topic that a lot of people can contribute to, and I'm fine with discussions about general topics that there isn't much knowledge about. But this seems like a discussion of an obscure, specific topic that not many people can really contribute to. It's kind of an odd distinction to make, but I think it's important. A thread like this doesn't really have much chance for other people to add anything other than "oh that's interesting, tell me more" unless they're already "in" on it. With a more general thread, people can share their own experiences with off-beliefs and what they think about the topic in general, I think there's a lot more insight and discussion to be had in a thread like that.

But that might just be me. Like I said, it's not my call to make. This is just my two cents on the whole thing. This is kind of going into meta territory here, though, so I'll drop it. This isn't the place for meta discussions, and I shouldn't be trying to talk about it when I'm drinking, anyway.

Last edited:

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I don't know if this is related, but sometimes I feel like I'm an African-American. The discrimination I face daily wounds me deeply - people just assume I'm some sort of "wigger", but the truth is that inside I really feel that I am black on the outside.
How the ♥♥♥♥ does that even work. I know it sounds rude, but come on, there's no measurable difference between being a person who is black as opposed to someone who is white or whatever colour you are, outside of the physical amount of melanin there is in your skin.

Otherkin at least is linked to ideas like spirit animals, animal symbols and a connection to nature. You're basically saying that you feel like you were born the wrong colour, which doesn't mean anything outside of colour. Go to Detroit, you will see plenty of people who "act like African Americans" and aren't, because there's no such ♥♥♥♥ing thing as acting like "African Americans". You're all ♥♥♥♥ing homo sapiens, get over it.

I please hope that this is a troll post, and even then, you should feel ashamed. The sad thing is, people play this ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ straight with being Japanese or whatever and it's just like... urgh.

twocows

Years
How the ♥♥♥♥ does that even work. I know it sounds rude, but come on, there's no measurable difference between being a person who is black as opposed to someone who is white or whatever colour you are, outside of the physical amount of melanin there is in your skin.

Otherkin at least is linked to ideas like spirit animals, animal symbols and a connection to nature. You're basically saying that you feel like you were born the wrong colour, which doesn't mean anything outside of colour. Go to Detroit, you will see plenty of people who "act like African Americans" and aren't, because there's no such ♥♥♥♥ing thing as acting like "African Americans". You're all ♥♥♥♥ing homo sapiens, get over it.

I please hope that this is a troll post, and even then, you should feel ashamed. The sad thing is, people play this ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ straight with being Japanese or whatever and it's just like... urgh.
It was a joke post. Ray does a lot of joking.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I probably came off a bit more of a jerk than I meant to be, since I've been drinking tonight and I tend to be a lot more blunt and a lot less tactful when I am. But I did mean what I said, I just didn't mean to be as much of a jerk as I probably was.

I'm fine with discussions on a specific, well-known topic that a lot of people can contribute to, and I'm fine with discussions about general topics that there isn't much knowledge about. But this seems like a discussion of an obscure, specific topic that not many people can really contribute to. It's kind of an odd distinction to make, but I think it's important. A thread like this doesn't really have much chance for other people to add anything other than "oh that's interesting, tell me more" unless they're already "in" on it. With a more general thread, people can share their own experiences with off-beliefs and what they think about the topic in general, I think there's a lot more insight and discussion to be had in a thread like that.

But that might just be me. Like I said, it's not my call to make. This is just my two cents on the whole thing. This is kind of going into meta territory here, though, so I'll drop it. This isn't the place for meta discussions, and I shouldn't be trying to talk about it when I'm drinking, anyway.
As I said, really the only intention was to spread some awareness about something most people have never heard of and may never. I mean, there's always the possibility that others are here, and could reveal themselves, but I don't expect them to. Just thought I'd "come out" with it and be open rather than be is an almost entirely friendly community and fake being someone else.

There are a lot of people who feel that way. I figure he was just screwing around, but it's always possible. It's much like how some people feel they aren't the right sex, or born in the right country, or something of that sort. You obviously aren't that anymore, but you very well cold have been in a previous life, and there's the additional possibility (that is more common than not) that it could have an effect on something like personality or mentality. Not always, but possible.

On a side note, I love how PC replaces swearing with hearts.

It was a joke post. Ray does a lot of joking.
I figured as much, but I still try to keep an open mind. I think I recall a quote someone told me a while ago... "Keep your mind open, but not so open that your brains fall out."

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
This is pretty interesting, actually. I wouldn't associate myself with otherkin or anything, but I'm very cattish in nature. The way I cuddle and nuzzle my boyfriend's neck with my own head and neck, the way I like to poke his nose with mine, how I feel affection by having behind my ears scratched and petted (and the fact I enjoy doing this to him). I'm big on head tilts, too, when I'm curious or just being silly. Another thing would be sound-making: rather than talking, I'll make sounds that indicate how I'm feeling or what I need. After almost a year, he understands what they mean lol and I try to convince myself that other people use noises to communicate, too, but I'm just fooling myself :( I'm the only one we both know that does it. He thinks it's cute, though.

He even bought me kitty ears and a bell collar :$ so cuteee <3 /purr

Back