• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Christian Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
I enjoy Acts a lot with the stories of the early church, I find it quite enlightening. I also like Romans a lot, Romans 12 is my favorite chapter in the Bible.

The Void

hiiiii
Years
I never liked the stories in which Philistines were killed. I drew a lot of parallels between that and the Holocaust and other ethnic cleansings.

The hatred was mutual, though. The Philistines were the ones who wanted to kill the Hebrews.

So I don't know about the Holocaust; it's not as if the Jews had an army of their own to fight Hitler. Maybe think of it more as a crusade?

Years
Didn't the Hebrews migrate into Canaan? -oh I think I meant the Canaanites. Some people living in the Promised Land had to be removed for the Chosen People.

Violence is violence. But religiously justified? Ick. Anyways, I'm sure the Bible presents such a glorified presentation of history that would make professors want to rip their own heads off.

The Void

hiiiii
Years
Ohh, I see what you're getting to here. During the time of the Exodus, the Israelites had an immature understanding of God -- they believed him to be a God of wrath and self-righteousness, someone who loved punishing people. Thus there may have been misinterpretations regarding the will of God.

Plus the Canaanites constantly defiled God through wicked rebellions and rituals. Their blood sacrifices caused unrest and widespread retribution across the nation, so Canaan was never even stable to begin with. I'm not using this to justify the Canaanite genocide, but to say that they would have destroyed themselves anyway.

Yukari

Didn't the Hebrews migrate into Canaan? -oh I think I meant the Canaanites. Some people living in the Promised Land had to be removed for the Chosen People.

They didn't have to be removed. The two could have lived in harmony. But they rebelled against God and... well we all see how people can be blinded by their religious beliefs. The Canaanites were terrible people and, as The Void said, would ultimately have destroyed themselves. So if you think about it the genocide of the Canaanites was a form of mercy, and it kept them from falling victim of their own vices.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
It'd be EPIC to hang out with other video-game loving christians...

Username: Stoney the Togekiss
Are you christian?: I have been for as long as I can remember...
Denomination:
Um... I don't mean to be disrepectful, but does this really matter?
Isn't the improtant thing is that we are ALL brothers & sisters in christ?

The Void

hiiiii
Years
It'd be EPIC to hang out with other video-game loving christians...

Username: Stoney the Togekiss
Are you christian?: I have been for as long as I can remember...
Denomination:
Um... I don't mean to be disrepectful, but does this really matter?
Isn't the improtant thing is that we are ALL brothers & sisters in christ?

Hey there Stoney the Togekiss!

It sort of does -- different denominations have different beliefs, and some of those differences can be really big. So in order for members to better communicate and improve understanding with one another, it makes sense for them to know the others' beliefs first.

However, if you're unsure of, or uncomfortable in providing your denomination then I completely understand. Indeed, what matters is that you are a brother in Christ :) Welcome!

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Welcome Stoney! I agree with you to an extent cause since we all believe in the same God and have similar teachings (but of course with differences). We should all get along together and not hate each other cause one of us does it slightly different than the other.

Though for the sake of the club, I'd also agree with The Void that it can be needed just so we can each other here more since not all Christian denominations are exactly the same.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
Thanks The Void & Kouzan!

I did ask my grandmother about what denomination I'd be under & she said that our family is of the non-denominational type.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
I actually saw this a while ago and thought about joining, but I haven't been on so I haven't joined..

Username: Venitardus
Are you Christian?: Yes
Denomination: I'm not sure, actually.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
Speaking of killing and scary stuff, Revelation has always scarred me when I was younger and still does to an extent. All the violence and apocalypse prophecies are just horrifying (though I never expected it to be rainbows and sunshine but still) . I just really hope I'm not alive when the world ends. D:

And given I don't have a favorite book, I should probably read the Bible more. I never have time to read anything with school and everything. I used to have a Bible app on my iPod which made it easier, but since iPod broke, finding time to read a Bible has been difficult.

Yes, but us Christians will be in Heaven before it starts. It's also a good time because hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people will be converted and go to Heaven. :)

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Yes, but us Christians will be in Heaven before it starts. It's also a good time because hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people will be converted and go to Heaven. :)

Well that definitely makes it a little less horrifying. :) Even if it's scary in words, it will probably be positive too. I honestly can't wait to see what Heaven looks like. I'm sure it's not the clouds and golden roads that artists interpret it as, but it's definitely probably gonna be pleasant and beautiful.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
Well that definitely makes it a little less horrifying. :) Even if it's scary in words, it will probably be positive too. I honestly can't wait to see what Heaven looks like. I'm sure it's not the clouds and golden roads that artists interpret it as, but it's definitely probably gonna be pleasant and beautiful.

I think the Bible actually describes it as made of gold. When the end of the world is finished, I think God creates a new earth, and that is where Heaven will be located.

I have always imagined Heaven as a large city with Gods throne at the end of it. There are houses all over customized to our liking. I really don't. All I know is that it will be better than whatever anybody can imagine.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
I think the Bible actually describes it as made of gold. When the end of the world is finished, I think God creates a new earth, and that is where Heaven will be located.

I have always imagined Heaven as a large city with Gods throne at the end of it. There are houses all over customized to our liking. I really don't. All I know is that it will be better than whatever anybody can imagine.
What I've been told is that J.R.R. Tolkien's part of heaven looks like Middle Earth & that the author of the Narinia series part of heaven looks like
Narnia... So it sounds like we each get not just houses but also large amount of land that is customized to our liking...

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
What I've been told is that J.R.R. Tolkien's part of heaven looks like Middle Earth & that the author of the Narinia series part of heaven looks like
Narnia... So it sounds like we each get not just houses but also large amount of land that is customized to our liking...

Sounds great! Unfortunetely, however, we don't actually know all that much about Heaven. We do have the books "Heaven is for Real" and stuff, but how do we know they are legit?

The Void

hiiiii
Years
Speaking of killing and scary stuff, Revelation has always scarred me when I was younger and still does to an extent. All the violence and apocalypse prophecies are just horrifying (though I never expected it to be rainbows and sunshine but still) . I just really hope I'm not alive when the world ends. D:

And given I don't have a favorite book, I should probably read the Bible more. I never have time to read anything with school and everything. I used to have a Bible app on my iPod which made it easier, but since iPod broke, finding time to read a Bible has been difficult.

tbh I don't take the whole Revelations thing literally. I think it's merely a metaphor foreshadowing the collapse of the Roman Empire, but I could be wrong of course.

That is true. Narnia and LOTR are two of my favorite book series.

JRR Tolkien was this super devout traditionalist Catholic, so even his creation lore in Silmarillion could remind you of Genesis and Lucifer's rebellion. His best friend CS Lewis' works were much more obvious when it came to parallelisms to Christianity. They even literally mention a Tree of Youth where apples that grant immortality grow.

I got this mirror for helping my grandma today. A little off topic but I've had my eye on it for about 10 years.

Are you planning to display it? That'd be cool considering you're agnostic.

Sapphire Dragon

Let go of the scars that define you.
Years
Username: Sapphire Dragon
Denomination: Non-denominational

I'd be glad to join!

What challenges do you face when identifying as a Christian?:

Being too silent about it around my peers. I don't mean constantly pushing it on them, but even bringing it up at all is definitely something I shouldn't worry about. I just dislike debating people so much, and you can't really tell who will be fine with it and who will try to pick at your faith because of it.

Years
Hey,
someone suggested I come here so I did... not sure if I will fit in but I will try ;P
Username: Dodo Hunter
Are you Christian?: Depends who you ask? Technically I am Jewish but I understand other religions...
Denomination: I have no idea xD
Well... thanks?
-Dodo Hunter ^^

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Username: Sapphire Dragon
Denomination: Non-denominational

I'd be glad to join!

What challenges do you face when identifying as a Christian?:

Being too silent about it around my peers. I don't mean constantly pushing it on them, but even bringing it up at all is definitely something I shouldn't worry about. I just dislike debating people so much, and you can't really tell who will be fine with it and who will try to pick at your faith because of it.

I know that feeling all too well. I know family members who are so into their religion that they use to back up their facts in debates. I understand that, but it's pushing it a little, ya know? For myself, I'm a strong catholic believer and I intend to stay that way, but I don't like to rub it in towards others, like most of my family does. I respect everyone's opinions and beliefs, and I think every denomination of Christianity is interesting and well worth learning about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back