• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Gabri

m8
Years
If all we came for in this World Cup was to do such a pile of ♥♥♥♥, it would have been better to let Sweden go instead. Zlatan would have done better alone than this whole squad+manager combined.

It was shaping up this way ever since the squad was announced. Calling players that had long injuries, not having a backup for the left back, not calling players that should have been called, then going to the US for a vacation instead of Brazil to get used to the weather (they got there like what, two days before the first match?), letting everyone watch the training sessions and not having a single one on closed doors, not even trying to play football and going instead for the "get the ball to Ronaldo and let him do the rest"... That midfield has been a disgrace for the last year and yet it's still made of the same players.

We won't even get a win against Ghana, much less a 5-0.

Years
Éder seems like a much more dangerous player than the two idiots Portugal have been fielding for what seems like a decade (Postiga/Almeida if not obvious), he's still not good enough but I don't get the reluctance to play him if those are the other options.

But yeah chances are slim for my newly adopted WC team. Honestly I think the US spirit has been good and Klinsmann has got them playing well above their ability so they deserve a place in the next round.

Colombia might be my option in terms of someone to root for, but by now I really don't have any vested interest in anyone if Portugal go out.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Even with England's no-show I really am enjoying this World Cup. I do have a feeling that Germany won't be out to hurt the US goal difference too badly, not that I'm sure Portugal could get a win anyway.

Snodgrass showing up again in another kit tease image. Trying not to get my hopes up but I'd sure feel better about our chances next season if he's still here.
Spoiler:

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
This World Cup has been full of surprises. Own goals, excellent shots, excellent keepers, terrible referees, and so much more.

Also a lot of goals at the 11th minute. It might be my OCD, but I find it amazing.

Hitsushiro

someone
Years
Ronaldo's performance today has so far been underrated. It sucks that Portugal was met with some injuries and a bit of bad luck.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing Australia beating Spain 2-0. Watch out for Aussies in the next world cup, these guys have so much potential.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Spain really have nothing to play for, so I think Australia will beat Spain later on today.

I'm really nervous for Croatia though... they need to win against Mexico to guarantee a place in the last 16. A draw ain't good enough; Brazil would go through on head to head, regardless if they did (somehow) lose to Cameroon.

I'm hoping that Chile beats Holland because I want to see Brazil v Holland again. That would be interesting.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
Even though the final matches of Group G are not until Thursday, here are four likely scenarios:

The US beats Germany: The US advances to the Round of 16 as the Group G winners. Germany would advance as well unless Ghana or Portugal wins and passes Germany on goal differential

Germany beats the US: Germany wins the Group. The US would still advance unless Ghana or Portugal wins and passes the US on goal differential

Germany and the US tie: Germany wins the Group and the US comes in second. Ghana vs Portugal match is meaningless

Ghana and Portugal tie: Germany and the US advance. Germany wins the group unless it loses to the US.

Years
I'm not even upset about that match. It was disappointing how poor Korea played in the first half, but they came back with fire in the 2nd half. They played their hearts out and never gave up no matter how bleak it looked. It was an unfortunate result for them, but they should be proud of how hard they played. I know I am.

If it wasn't for Heung-Min Son it would've easily been a 0-4. Our approach to the game was completely wrong, pretty much as always.

There's no way we were going to win the thing anyways so I'm not too bothered except the team that did us for 4 goals isn't a powerhouse. I guess it's no worse than Uruguay losing 1-3 to Costa Rica, though.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
If it wasn't for Heung-Min Son it would've easily been a 0-4. Our approach to the game was completely wrong, pretty much as always.

There's no way we were going to win the thing anyways so I'm not too bothered except the team that did us for 4 goals isn't a powerhouse. I guess it's no worse than Uruguay losing 1-3 to Costa Rica, though.

Yeah Son was definitely the highlight of the team. He played really well in both games and is clearly very talented. I honestly believe those first 3 goals were a fluke. South Korea looked lost in that first half, but once they put their head down and focused on playing smart in the second, they started making a comeback. They easily could have won that game if they didn't give the ball away every time they passed in the first half. Such a bummer =/

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
So, Mexico move on to the last 16, and I say they deserved it. Croatia were very piss poor, and I'm disgusted to be a Croatia fan after that performance. Wanted a much more competitive game than that. Even if Croatia hadn't gotten through and had really tried tried hard, then I wouldn't have been too bothered about it because Croatia had lost to the better team tonight. But that, was just absolutely disgraceful.

Now, I'm pulling for France, Mexico and Costa Rica.

Hitsushiro

someone
Years
So, Mexico move on to the last 16, and I say they deserved it. Croatia were very piss poor, and I'm disgusted to be a Croatia fan after that performance. Wanted a much more competitive game than that. Even if Croatia hadn't gotten through and had really tried tried hard, then I wouldn't have been too bothered about it because Croatia had lost to the better team tonight. But that, was just absolutely disgraceful.

Now, I'm pulling for France, Mexico and Costa Rica.

They deserved it more than scum Brazil.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Lost 3-0 to spain, which isn't very surprising. Never mind a depleted squad to begin with - take out four starting players from our first match, two being Cahill and Bresc, and we were always up against it. Kinda toothless in attack with Taggart, seemed to offer more in the second half but missing Kennedy or Kruse, who were both injured before the WC started!

Defensive errors costs us too. Davidson has otherwise played well, but I think poor positioning of him lead to three goals in the tournament. =/ And Mcgowen just isn't up to it, even if he was the second pick (and had some nice crosses), Spain attacked our RB all game.

Ah well. Avoid any real thrashing, and were actually competitive in two of the games. More than I could have hoped for, all things considered. Hopefully we get some players back for the Asian Cup early next year. Let's hope if we get to the next world cup that we don't get such a painful group again.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
So I'm guessing this will be yet another second round exit for Mexico. :/ If they can pull off an upset and topple the Netherlands, I'll be so ecstatic, but I'm not sure that's possible, especially since they lost another good player for the next game.

Years
Although it was expected, a great win for Brazil. Neymar looks like an absolute superstar out there, having already scored 4 goals in a span of three games. Quite impressive, if you ask me, especially looking at other players who haven't performed as well but are considered high, high above him in skill level. Would like to see them make the final! :]

Years
I was expecting Spain to win, but wow Australia failing to win a single match wasn't surprising in the slightest, especially given the very pitiful group we got. Pretty much this is to me Australia's worst WC campaign ever, but I guess we can focus on the upcoming Asian Cup next year which we are the host nation and even if we were to make it to the next WC in 2018 we can only hope we don't get drawn in a "group of death" again.

Still, the first two matches decided for the Round of 16 were what I was expecting - Brazil vs Chile and Mexico vs Netherlands. I know I'll be supporting the Dutch from here on, given how they managed to win all their group matches.

Looking back on this World Cup, I guess it meant Group G wasn't the true group of death like many Americans first thought, in my opinion Group B was the real group of death given how Australia got whopped in all their games there.

So, we've had Brazil, Mexico, Chile and Netherlands advancing but here's how I think the remaining groups will end up:

Group C: Colombia wins group, Ivory Coast runners-up.

Group D: Costa Rica wins group, Italy runners-up.

Group E: France wins group, Ecuador runners-up.

Group F: Argentina wins group, Nigeria runners-up.

Group G: Germany wins group, Portugal runners-up.

Group H: Belgium wins group, Algeria runners-up.

Costa Rica was a real surprise factor, they did good but good enough to top their group. Algeria were like really surprising, that thrashing against South Korea made me think of them as a good contender. Sorta like how that changed my views towards Chile after they beat Australia. And yeah I guess America, your dream is over since you lost to Portugal. But still, the Americans did really good in their match against Ghana (despite it being a draw) so yeah not all too bad. That's my predictions on how the remaining ones to advance would be, but yeah can't wait to see where it all goes from here.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I was expecting Spain to win, but wow Australia failing to win a single match wasn't surprising in the slightest, especially given the very pitiful group we got. Pretty much this is to me Australia's worst WC campaign ever, but I guess we can focus on the upcoming Asian Cup next year which we are the host nation and even if we were to make it to the next WC in 2018 we can only hope we don't get drawn in a "group of death" again.

Still, the first two matches decided for the Round of 16 were what I was expecting - Brazil vs Chile and Mexico vs Netherlands. I know I'll be supporting the Dutch from here on, given how they managed to win all their group matches.

Looking back on this World Cup, I guess it meant Group G wasn't the true group of death like many Americans first thought, in my opinion Group B was the real group of death given how Australia got whopped in all their games there.
In that sense, it wasn't a group of death for the Dutch because they won everything. =p Some other groups are tough too, we were just unlucky that ours was probably the hardest on ourselves, among other things. Ghana I would personally rate below Chile,
And yeah I guess America, your dream is over since you lost to Portugal. But still, the Americans did really good in their match against Ghana (despite it being a draw) so yeah not all too bad. That's my predictions on how the remaining ones to advance would be, but yeah can't wait to see where it all goes from here.
Actually I'm pretty sure that USA beat Ghana and drew with Portugal, putting them in a good position. A point gets them to the next stage, and even if they lose to Germany, unless they get thrashed then Portugal have to win by a significant amount to get through (while Ghana just needs to win + USA to lose - unlikely they'd overtake Germany on goal difference imo, and Portugal can only hope to overtake the USA's goal difference).

Back