• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 23, 2016
Which third generation game to get for Mew?

Hello all,

I am in the Process of acquiring all the required games that I need in order to complete "without trading" and actually capturing all the Pokemon by myself.

So far I have:

Pokemon X / Y,
Pokemon Black 2 / White 2

So as I have been reading it appears I need:

Heart Gold OR Soul Silver "Do I need both?"

Is this all I need? Its very hard to get a clear answer and the longer I wait to figure this out the less likely I am to be able to buy any of these games or find working copies.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I believe you do need both, yes, as they have version-exclusives. Also, you've posted this in the wrong forum; I'll move it to the correct one for you.

Thread moved.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Personally, I've always liked Piplup, but from a practical standpoint, I would recommend Chimchar. Assuming you can't trade to get more fire-types during your playthrough, Chimchar is one of the only available fire-types you can get (aside from Ponyta), so it's a great option for rounding out your team. Statistically, Infernape's speed is useful, though it doesn't take hits too well, but that doesn't really matter for in-game anyway (if that's what you're asking about). As for the others, I've always found Empoleon versatile, and its typing prevents it from having too many major weaknesses, though it's kind of slow. Torterra's 4x ice weakness hurts, and it's slow, too.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 22, 2016
Save data needed

Hi everyone i need a save file of pokemon platinium after beating 2nd gym i request to give me a save file

Years
I have been levelling up a Buneary since level 11. I gave it a Soothe Bell straight away and it is now level 28. In the Poketch Hapiness App (Platinum) It has zero hearts next to it.

Also I hatched Togepi and gave it EXP. Share. It is now level 25 and I have not even used it in a battle (other than switching it straight out). It has TWO hearts.

Why is my Buneary not levelling in hapiness? It has fainted roughly 8 times give or take because of those pesky selfdestructing geodudes. What is going on?!!!!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
I have been levelling up a Buneary since level 11. I gave it a Soothe Bell straight away and it is now level 28. In the Poketch Hapiness App (Platinum) It has zero hearts next to it.

Also I hatched Togepi and gave it EXP. Share. It is now level 25 and I have not even used it in a battle (other than switching it straight out). It has TWO hearts.

Why is my Buneary not levelling in hapiness? It has fainted roughly 8 times give or take because of those pesky selfdestructing geodudes. What is going on?!!!!
When a Pokémon faints, it loses happiness. This might explain why your Togepi has more happiness then your Buneary, as it has never fainted due to never being in battle (Exp. Share). And yes, levelling does give happiness, but fainting decreases happiness a lot too. I'd recommend sending Buneary out in battle first, then switching it into another Pokémon. With the Soothe Bell, it should be a Lopunny in no time ^_^

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Value of a completed SoulSilver?

Okay, so when I was in getting my copy of Emerald fixed, the guy at the shop told me they're getting a completed copy of SoulSilver - as in, got all the pokémon on it. He said they would probably be retailing it at around £50. My question is, to anyone who knows...is that decent value?
And more importantly, do you think if I left it alone (i.e. just used it to breed rare pokémon, kept it completed) would it rise, fall or stay constant in value?

I'm no expert in this, but I'm trying to justify the purchase to myself as something other than "now I can finally have a Glameow in my pokédex without wi-fi", as I'd have to take out savings to buy it (I have plenty, just all my money coming in is clearing off debts).

Hope this was the right place to put it

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
This is just my opinion, but no pokemon is worth actual money, regardless whether it's legitimate, shiny, perfect IV, whatever. At the end of the day pokemon are just files in a cartridge. Like, if you're against hacking or genning pokemon, is buying a pokemon not essentially the same thing? I don't know, maybe it's just the way my mind works, but pokemon have pretty clearly established their own little economy where actual money plays no part. You want a Pinsirite, you give up your Heracronite, etc.

So if it's me, I pay whatever the cart is worth, not extra for whatever pokemon the guy who owned it before had.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Aug 16, 2014
What Starter Should I Use?

I am doing a lets play On Youtube On Pokemon Platinum And i Need To know which starter pokemon you guys like!

Turtwig------Chimchar------Piplup

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
A second DS system isn't going to break the bank though I will admit not everyone has access to £30/$45 and I've always eventually bought both copies of every game version (Diamond and Pearl) eventually. I'd say you're better doing that. Also if your DS breaks, you already have a replacement.

Soul Silver/Heart Gold do seem to be quite expensive though it's mainly because of the PokéWalker.

Is it one of those cartridges complete with Pokémon that have been AR'd in to the game and sold twice its value because it's 'finished'? Where is the fun in that?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Games have more value if they include all the original stuff -box, instruction manuals, and the PokéWalker in this case. I saw a sealed box for SoulSilver at the secondhand shop I frequent that was going for $50.

The cartridge by itself seems to be going for around $40. Save files or lack thereof don't have any influence on the value.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Is it one of those cartridges complete with Pokémon that have been AR'd in to the game and sold twice its value because it's 'finished'? Where is the fun in that?

That is my fear - I just don't imagine there being many people obsessive enough in my area to have collected the likes of Darkrai from legitimate events, held on to them for years, and then sold them to an independent shop.

I get the general idea that what you're all saying is value's affected more by having all the original parts than what's on the save - that's just something that can sell me on it?

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
Unless you're set with using emulators when you want to play Pokemon, you should look into selling it. But because all that's old is new again, that cartridge is worth a lot more than you think.

For example, just a few years ago, one could easily purchase a new Ruby or FireRed for $30. You're lucky to find these games for double the price on EBay that's real. Considering this, I suggest you wait (and continue to play the game!) as its value increases.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Piplup man...Piplup. Empoleon is just awesome. They're all good to be honest, one of the harder decisions, but in my personal opinion, go for Piplup.

Years
So according to Serebii, there are trainers that can be rematched on the Pokégear at night, but it lists them as 8 PM - 5 AM. I attempted to call Lass Dana, who can be battled Thursday nights (because i'm trying to get in training for Red), but it's Friday now, and she wasn't wanting to battle. If a trainer can only be battled at a certain day in the night time, can they only be rematched for the four hours it's still the specific day?

Years
So according to Serebii, there are trainers that can be rematched on the Pokégear at night, but it lists them as 8 PM - 5 AM. I attempted to call Lass Dana, who can be battled Thursday nights (because i'm trying to get in training for Red), but it's Friday now, and she wasn't wanting to battle. If a trainer can only be battled at a certain day in the night time, can they only be rematched for the four hours it's still the specific day?

I believe what you said near the end might be the case here, so that means 8PM-12AM would be what's counted as "night" in the game. Anything between 12AM-6AM is what might be considered a "mid dawn" and that's counted as the next day, not the day before.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah, I believe 00:00-06:00 is a sort of in-game dead zone - Gamefreak's way of saying "get to bed kids, you'll never work for us if you stay up late!"

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 30, 2014
Pre 8th Gym Training?

Hey guys, I have beaten all the trainers before the 8th gym in johto. However, the 8th gym is pretty tough and has been causing me some issues. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on where I can train my pokemon before challenging the gym again

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 24, 2018
What Pokemon are on your team man? I would suggest finding areas where your Pokemon have type advantages against with their movesets so you can make it quicker, of course at the highest available level and don't forget to bring your items as well; sometimes I like to train against the odds when my Pokemon get strong enough in tougher areas for it's type.

As for specific areas, I'll train fighting, fire, and electric types over in Ice Cave right there. I'll train my grass and water types in the route below Blackthorn City. Other than that, I guess try to find a water area with decent level Pokemon and grind against those, at least that's what I would normally do. And a good place I usually train before the Elite Four is the grass area by the healing house around the trainer that has a Blastoise and a Pikachu, and of course Victory Road.

May you have good tidings on your league conquest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back