• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Nerketur's Pile of Tools

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 29, 2015
I already did Option A. And the error still appeared. ...But maybe that was caused by me directly copy and pasting the edited lines from the first one.

And I'm new at this. So I don't know how to accomplish Option B.

Perhaps I'll try tinkering with it more.

Well. I tried everything I could. And it's still errored.

I'll just wait for your beta to come out. In the meantime, I'll just ignore that particular folder as I create my edit.

And thank you for your help.

I've encountered the exact same error. But this time, in a different folder. It seems to appear when a certain error message pops up. No matter what I click, the error contaminates the folder. Also, I haven't told you that it's PMD Sky that I'm editing.

By the way, I'd like to edit things such as gameplay messages (like the things partners say in dungeons), bosses (I'd like to make some Pokémon female), and dungeon names. Screwing around with positions and portraits would be cool too. So will changing the Pokémon's names~. You already have a lot to work on, so I'll understand if you can't do everything.

Thanks for everything~

Last edited by a moderator:

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
Explorers of Sky, huh? That shouldn't be a huge issue, but my program will not parse Sky as completely as it does Time/Darkness. Even so, I'm in the process of making sure Sky is processed as good as I can make it :D

As for the error, which error are you getting? Now I'm curious. I already know the bug, but its been so long I don't remember the errors caused, and it might point to a new bug I haven't fixed. I mainly do all my testing on Explorers of Time, after all. Only every so often going back into Sky.

That said, however, hopefully this new thing I'm doing will make testing for both much easier, and I might start learning more about Sky, too. Who knows? Maybe soon you'll be able to edit the special missions :D

A lot of work has been done already, with a few bonus features, but right now I'm working on making everything easier to manage from a developers point of view. I'll probably end up releasing something by new years. If for no otther reason than to fix the bug you're experiencing. Because trust me, such an annoying bug makes hacks almost impossible :(

So yeah, expect something by new years. Might not be a full beta, but it should be pretty cool, nevertheless.

By the way, I'd like to edit things such as gameplay messages (like the things partners say in dungeons), bosses (I'd like to make some Pokémon female), and dungeon names. Screwing around with positions and portraits would be cool too. So will changing the Pokémon's names~. You already have a lot to work on, so I'll understand if you can't do everything.

Everything you're asking for is in the works. Some are very close to being realized, like portraits and positions. (you can already mess around with positions if you know what you're doing with my unrealeased version), some are already there, but in limited ways (gameplay messages, dungeon names), and others I will not stop until I see them complete (boss editing). Given enough time, I'll be abe to do everything... but my focus will still be on scripting. Thats why my team is so important. People that are very good at other things like psy_commando! Working together, everything will be done far faster than working on our own :)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 29, 2015
Sorry it took me so long, but I have finally aquired the pesky error message.
But of course, the darn website won't let me insert the image in the post! I dunno what to do about that...

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
Did you thought in a Sprites Editor and a YAPE Like Editor? D:
That would be pretty nice.

Cya~
Yes, actually! Thought has been put into that, and we know enough about the sprites that this is possible now! But actually implementing the sprite changer will take a bit more time.
Sorry it took me so long, but I have finally aquired the pesky error message.
But of course, the darn website won't let me insert the image in the post! I dunno what to do about that...
You could always use imgur, or photobucket, or any other image upload site and post the link to it. :)

In other news, a pre-beta is now out!!! This version fixes the error that makes it impossible to make a playable hack, and it will open the borked rom. Saving it will (I think) fix the issue!

Not much else to say, other than I feel like a lot of what we don't know, we will soon know! :D

PS: I'm a bit late on expected release of this pre-beta, no telling when full beta will be out, but hopefully it will be out in a few months at max!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 29, 2015
Problem is, the site wouldn't let me post the link either. I attempted it now, but the site still won't let me display images or post links. Hopefully I'll aquire the ability in the future,

By the way, thank for for getting the pre-beta up. I already downloaded it. Will I be able to fix my screwed up rom file just by editing it in the pre-beta? Or is there more to it? Looking forward to running the program and seeing the full beta! Can't wait!

Edit: You just said it'll fix the issue (hopefully) by simply saving it. Guess I glossed over that. Oops.

Another edit: I opened up the program and attempted to save in it. I could not. Tried to change a small bit of script to see if that'll work. Could not save. The save command is simply grayed out. This confounds me. Do you know what is going on?

Too many edits: Ah. I just switched that box I never mess with to hex, then I was able to save. I was worried I couldn't save. Well, this is helpful to know for people who wish to use the tool. I'm just glad I discovered it! Let the world know!

Edit abuse: Oh dear. For some reason, I can't save a certain file in the pre-beta for some reason. That all-too-familiar error stops me every time I try. I attempted to just edit the file in alpha 3. I successfully edited it, but now I can't save that file at all in the pre-beta.
87e015693c.png

Seems that I can display the error now. About time, too. Now look at it. What are these shenanigans?

Ugh: Seems that I was incorrect on the error being the same error. They look the same, but if ya compare 'em...
d719a4eb77.png

They're different shenanigans. This is the one that pops up in the pre-beta. The one that prevents me from saving a certain file.
...I just want to work on my stupid edit...

Last edited:

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
Found the bug and fixed it! Redownload and the error should be gone! And thank you for the report :D

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 29, 2015
Thanks, son! I'll go download it! Again, thank you!

Edit: Oh noes. When I went and tested the file, it does not load in the game. I checked the gotos and compaired them with the unedited file. They're the same. I just don't know what's going on...

Last edited:

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
Try from a fresh ROM. I do know that it might be the ROM you're using, and it also might be a problem with the groups. I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, but I did test my program by saving a file in the script, and the game did load it. So I don't think my program is the issue. Do test and tell me your result :)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 29, 2015
Oh dear. Whatever file I edit in the program, it does not load in the emulator. :[

Edit: I also found this.
ce8bfb72d8.png

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
The only reason that would normally happen is if your dict.txt file is incorrect. try redownloading or making sure that dict.txt is in the same directory. If neither of those are the issue, then what does it say under details?

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
As a small quick update, I'm now also an editor of the Project Pokémon Wiki! Working on the script commands page which is also helping me clarify a few commands and which commands go for time and which go for sky! Plan to update my program again soon, once I have the dict file updated, though I might release just that file sooner than the program. Long story short, once I fix a few other bugs, the program will be able to parse every command correctly! At least, in Time. Sky will take a bit more research. Thank you for your patience, everyone :D

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 29, 2015
I can't wait, son. For now, I've given up my rom edit, because it's impossible to not run into an error. Thank you for your dilligence.

Also, is there a way to replace music and other files (such as the title) in the game? I've seen one guy replace the music before, but he said that he couldn't play the game without it crashing.

I've also seen one dude edit the menu and dungeon text, but he needed to unpack the rom to do so.

I await the day where PMD will be fully editable.~

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2018
Good work Nerketur! One request I have for a future update is for your program to open a file (ssa, ssb, etc.) passed to it through a command line argument.

I'm the developer of Sky Editor* and I think it would be cool to reference your program, so as many PMD tools are together. If I was able to integrate your tool into mine, I would open an individual SSB (or other relevant file) in your program, passing the filename as a command line argument (in whatever format you choose), let the user change things, have the user save and close, then the user would be able to work on other things, or simply test in the emulator.

I look forward to the next release. In the mean time, keep up the good work!

*I was going to post a link, but I don't have enough posts to give one. So you'll have to do a web search if you need a link.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 29, 2015
Good work Nerketur! One request I have for a future update is for your program to open a file (ssa, ssb, etc.) passed to it through a command line argument.

I'm the developer of Sky Editor* and I think it would be cool to reference your program, so as many PMD tools are together. If I was able to integrate your tool into mine, I would open an individual SSB (or other relevant file) in your program, passing the filename as a command line argument (in whatever format you choose), let the user change things, have the user save and close, then the user would be able to work on other things, or simply test in the emulator.

I look forward to the next release. In the mean time, keep up the good work!

*I was going to post a link, but I don't have enough posts to give one. So you'll have to do a web search if you need a link.

Sky Editor? I'm hooked. To Google!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 29, 2015
I really hope people haven't forgotten about this. And that this doesn't count as double posting.

Last edited:

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
A lot of you are probably wondering when the next version of this tool will be out! Well I have updates! But they aren't too big.

Updates on the tool:
Sadly, none yet. I'm trying something new to figure out more information and actually fully understand the scripting system. More on that below.​
There has been a lot of work done these past few months. Most of it not even by me! Reverse engineering is hard work and I never truly thought I'd be forced to learn ARM assembler to figure out how the system works, but alas, that is exactly what happened.

Instead of my normal guess and check system, since I now know a lot about what the scripting system does, its time to dig deeper and actually figure out how it works. This will be a long process, but learning this system will allow me to better understand how the game itself works, since 90% of the game uses it!

I'm now in the process of reverse engineering the entire scripting subsystem, and when I figure out how it works, I'll be able to update my notes on the commands to include every command and its info! This, by itself, is a big undertaking, but I'm determined to see it through.

Once I do figure everything out, I will update my program to the first beta release! There will probably be a couple more alpha releases as I learn more and more, but I can't give an expected timeframe. Hopefully I'll have at least something by the end of the year!
One request I have for a future update is for your program to open a file (ssa, ssb, etc.) passed to it through a command line argument.
I will consider this request. This is something that I do want to be able to include, but the way it's currently coded my program would also need to know which version of the game it came from (in full), so it can successfully parse quite a few things. I'm still thinking on whether or not to remove this restriction, since it wouldn't actually impede anything, (in truth it would only need the arm9, + overlay 4) but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 10, 2021
I'm not sure if i'm allowed to bump an old thread like this one but does anyone have a working download link? None of them work anymore. :(

Back