• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2017
I will give a Roleplay a try soon. I don't know if my writing is any good, but I'll try my best :).

It seems there's a lot of reading involved in RP as well, but it should be okay as long as I find the RP interesting.

Any general advice for posts and character design?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Don't make orphans ;) haha, well ok but don't make all your character orphans. It's such an overused cliche to have dead parents.

Regarding posts, just make them as vivid and easily readable as you can and always try to not rush past other players who might have wanted to act or react near where you did.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2017
Are there any fairly simple Roleplays that I can sign up for that would be good for a beginner to learn about how it works?

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Are there any fairly simple Roleplays that I can sign up for that would be good for a beginner to learn about how it works?

My first RP was gunpowder, which is about magic cowboys being assholes, and that's been really fun. The system is quite easy to understand, and the GM Gimmepie is very helpful with everything. Stars of Sinnoh may be a good one if you want a pokemon RP in the style of the games. A big share of those players are new to RP'ing. Another RP, which seems to be quite active is begin again, which is also GM'd by Gimmepie. A lot of roleplays are, haha. If you don't feel like joining an RP which has already started, I would look at maybe The Race, which seems to be a smaller pokemon RP. There may be some others that peak your interest, so I recommend reading some of the other Out Of Character threads as well.

I made the RP names links :)

Also, have a free tip from me: SU stands for Sign-Up. It took me way too long to figure that out, haha.

Limbo

Basically, I love glasses
Years
Hey there~ Yet another noobie here, aaand I'm going to piggyback off GreenFlame and take all the advice you gave him. ;D

I've taken the time to read the rules through and take a look at several different roleplays to get the hang of it, so I think I'm nice and set. I've done roleplaying before, just not in a forum, but I don't think this should be too too hard to get used to.

You can still go ahead and sacrifice me if you like though. ;]

Blarzigord

B͉̭̦͓̲̩̦L̘͉̺̩? ?͙A̖̬̜̞͇R̢ͅG̛̭? ?Ḫ̨̯̭͕̯̙̮A͞B̗? ?͍͇
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2017
Hey there~ Yet another noobie here, aaand I'm going to piggyback off GreenFlame and take all the advice you gave him. ;D

I've taken the time to read the rules through and take a look at several different roleplays to get the hang of it, so I think I'm nice and set. I've done roleplaying before, just not in a forum, but I don't think this should be too too hard to get used to.

You can still go ahead and sacrifice me if you like though. ;]
Thank you, most willingly dark lamb. Thy spine shall burn fiveever in the airless dephts of alien hell. Blarghh.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2017
I like the look of Stars of Sinnoh, but where can I come into it? Do I need to post a sign-up and a first post at the same time? Do I start from the beggining (Sandgem)?

Geras

Roleplayer
Years
I like the look of Stars of Sinnoh, but where can I come into it? Do I need to post a sign-up and a first post at the same time? Do I start from the beggining (Sandgem)?

I'm not in it, but in my experience the process for most RPs is usually this:
  1. Check if there are spots open
  2. If yes, make your SU and post it to the OOC thread
  3. Wait for your SU to be accepted, which might take more than one try
  4. Once accepted, make your first post in the IC thread

Some might do things a bit differently, but they don't usually deviate too much from this. As for where to start, you can ask questions specific to the RP in its OOC thread and await a response from the GM. Actually, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to ask this there too, since I'm no authority on it.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023

If you make a SU, you can jump in at the place where we are now in the story. The story objectives that we've past already will be assumed for your character has done. So you'd jump in at the point where your entering Jubilife, and your character will have already done the talking with professor Rowan, although you're free to add it to the post.

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
*twirls in*

After a few weeks of stealthily slinking about, I figured I ought to come and actually say hi! I'm an old face (so old that most of you probably have never heard of me) but I always seem to find my way back here.

Think of me as the decrepit newb. xD

*twirls back out*

Years
*twirls in*

After a few weeks of stealthily slinking about, I figured I ought to come and actually say hi! I'm an old face (so old that most of you probably have never heard of me) but I always seem to find my way back here.

*twirls back out*

Go away we don't want you here.

I jest, you seem to be pretty well re-accustomed to it all again anyway but nevertheless I'm hoping you're enjoying your return and that I'll see you around for a while longer.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
*twirls in*

*twirls back out*
Finally you join your dysfunctional family in our true home. Welcome back ;3

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
Finally you join your dysfunctional family in our true home. Welcome back ;3

Knowing you're not called Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers anymore and seeing it are apparently two different things. This is like the final nail in the coffin to my past existence here. xP

Jokes aside, thank you! I am actually so hyped about being back. This place has changed quiiiite a bit, but everyone's still as friendly and awesome as always. :D

Go away we don't want you here.

I jest, you seem to be pretty well re-accustomed to it all again anyway but nevertheless I'm hoping you're enjoying your return and that I'll see you around for a while longer.

Welp, looks like I'll have to leave, then. *exits dramatically*

I am enjoying my return! Thank you, and yeah I'm hoping to stick it out for a while yet! This place is probably never going to be completely rid of me, if I'm being honest.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
It's been a good long run, dear RPD. But all eras end eventually.

For questions about how the roleplay forums work, and for new people who want to say hi, The Starting Pad is the place to go from now on!

~<3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back