• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Code: Mega Evolutions and Primal Reversion

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
UPDATE:
So I'm basically done. It works perfectly in doubles and the AI can now Mega Evolve. However, The priority of Mega Evolution isn't exactly like it is in Gen 6 and Mega Stones can be stolen, knocked off, etc. But those will all soon be fixed. Also, I haven't added a part that checks if you have a keystone or not. So there's no way of disabled Mega Evolutions yet. Lastly, I haven't added Primal Evolutions. But anyway, this is a huge amount of progress.

Essentially the only limiting factor now is the fact that we hardly have any sprites for Mega Pokemon :P

Good going Touched! Cant wait to see the finished project!

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
UPDATE:
So I'm basically done. It works perfectly in doubles and the AI can now Mega Evolve. However, The priority of Mega Evolution isn't exactly like it is in Gen 6 and Mega Stones can be stolen, knocked off, etc. But those will all soon be fixed. Also, I haven't added a part that checks if you have a keystone or not. So there's no way of disabled Mega Evolutions yet. Lastly, I haven't added Primal Evolutions. But anyway, this is a huge amount of progress.

Essentially the only limiting factor now is the fact that we hardly have any sprites for Mega Pokemon :P

I would say a more public announcement is probably in order. Just something to get these images going. I know dollsteak was collecting them, but it doesn't look like he's having much luck on getting them.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I would say a more public announcement is probably in order. Just something to get these images going. I know dollsteak was collecting them, but it doesn't look like he's having much luck on getting them.

I don't know how you would make a "more public announcement". I was going to make a sort of mini hack (single area with items and Pokemon inserted, and a couple of trainer battles) with a few Megas and film a video of that, but it doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to get anyone to insert the Pokemon for me, map the area out, etc. I would rather not do that myself because it's time consuming and I'm lazy.

The main issue with the sprites is sizing. Megas are more detailed and often bigger (sometimes absurdly bigger, like Mega Rayquaza), making it difficult to fit in a 64x64 image. Additionally, many of the sprites are of poor quality or they don't fit the style of MrDollSteak's resource. This just compounds the issue. I'm not sure if more publicity will fix this.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years

I don't collect them... I draw them from scratch.

The issue is very accurately described by Touched, that most of the submissions I get aren't of the necessary quality. I would agree that making a video is better than an announcement, because it shows people the sprites that should be used.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 17, 2016
Hi, I'm having some trouble installing this... I downloaded devkitarm and put all the files in a folder, then all of the files from the mega evo zip from the github in the folder, and finally i put the python3 contents in. I made an empty folder called build, and then put a fresh firered named BPRE0.gba in the directory. I could not find a make.exe.. So I downloaded a gnu make (make.exe) and put it in the root. I went to cmd and went to the main root directory and typed in make && ./insert.py and at first it just said that there were no targets specified and no makefile found, so I made a file called makefile. What belongs inside the makefile? Some directory?

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
This will be later avaible for Emerald?
I will port to Emerald when it's completed.

I should add, "if I feel like it" to that.

I will at least make it easier for others to port. I.e. all the offsets needed in one file, so you can easily port. This will be done at the end, after I add all the configuration settings and documentation.

However, I am now taking what I think is a well deserved break; you don't want me getting sick of this, now do you :P

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
I don't know how you would make a "more public announcement". I was going to make a sort of mini hack (single area with items and Pokemon inserted, and a couple of trainer battles) with a few Megas and film a video of that, but it doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to get anyone to insert the Pokemon for me, map the area out, etc. I would rather not do that myself because it's time consuming and I'm lazy.

The main issue with the sprites is sizing. Megas are more detailed and often bigger (sometimes absurdly bigger, like Mega Rayquaza), making it difficult to fit in a 64x64 image. Additionally, many of the sprites are of poor quality or they don't fit the style of MrDollSteak's resource. This just compounds the issue. I'm not sure if more publicity will fix this.

I wouldn't mind doing it for you. I basically have 8 hours of free time each day. I wouldn't mind making a small demo area. What I meant by more publicity is turning it into a sticky, placing it in more places that deal with art. Possibly talking to smogon about it. Just doing small things to get people that wouldn't normally be on this site to send in sprites. I'm sure we would get a lot of garbage ones, but possibly reaching out to deviantart or places like it, we might have luck.

Also I'm looking at the install instructions; I'm not seeing anything about items or anything about linking certain pokemon to this, so is it easily customizable? I'm sure it is, just curious before I start messing around with it.

And Dollsteak I know you draw them as well as receive them from people, and you and I have talked about the quality of the sprites you have received, I was basically just reiterating.

For anyone that's using Windows to install this, I've updated the readme on Github to make the instructions more clear: https://github.com/Touched/MegaEvolution/blob/master/README.md

Is it possible to send actual links to these required tools?

Last edited:

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
A quick Google for them should be sufficient, so linking is really unnecessary.

Just tiny things are off. DevKitARM seems to just return DevKitPro. Same thing? Who knows. I have nothing to base anything off of, so when googling, there are always doubts. I have installed DevkitPro, as well as Python. Not sure if I have the correct versions, etc.

Just tiny things like that would help ensure that things go smoothly, and for someone like myself I just want to make sure I'm following everything to a T. Not meaning to be anal or anything; I've just never used these programs and there are way too many assumptions.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
devkitArm is part of devkitPRO, that's why I mentioned just that.

Will give it a try, I appreciate the quick responses.

EDIT:
sB9yPvY.png

I see no ARM. I might wait for a comprehensible guide.

Last edited:

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Hm. Usually when I do a fresh install I have the option for devkitARM alongside devkitPPC and whatnot .-.

Well, fwiw here's the standalone devkitARM installers: http://sourceforge.net/projects/devkitpro/files/devkitARM/

Download Python: Check
Download DevkitPro: Check
Download DevkitARM: Check
Create a directory called 'build' in the project root, to go along with the 'assets' and 'src' folders: Using what program? I assume DevkitARM, but when I open the directory, and look for anything that resembles an exe, I get a whole bunch of iconless programs that don't seem to have to do with what I'm trying to do. No graphical interface or anything I could possibly reference from here. The rest of the devkit seems to have exes that function like standard programs, but the arm does not.
o0L0Nrf.png

The mental image I get when reading your instructions is that we're supposed to download python to ensure that the Dev Kit works properly. The Dev Kit already includes MAKE (which we don't technically ever use in the creation of this gba file other than in the code), used to make sure we can't copy the way you created the files, see the source code etc. (at least that's what I read that MAKE does)

From there, we are supposed to open the devkitARM and a graphical interface pops up, and we are supposed to create a directory with the interface called build, and we are supposed to place everything from the files we downloaded into the root. We are supposed to throw our rom into the root as well, and then we are supposed to press shift + right click in order to open a cmd prompt type thing and then we are supposed to copy and paste the code you provide in order to make the devkit spit out a working rom.

My problem is the devkitARM. If I'm missing anything else in my understanding of this, I would appreciate you filling me in. If this is something that is purely cmd prompt based, and the roots and directories are physical folders somewhere on our computer, I would appreciate if that was explained as well.

Also sorry, this has all probably come off as snappy. I'm overly joyed for all of this stuff to be out, and I guess I'm a bit excited to see it all play out. I might be getting a bit impatient with the instructions, so just know no ill will is intended. I'm just stoked at what all of you have done; Excited to see it work.

Last edited:

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Also, while on the topic of command prompt windows, you can't simply paste into the window unless you're on Windows 10. You'll have to either type it out long hand, or use a hidden little control panel to paste in (Right click in the top-left of the window -> Edit -> paste), then hit Enter.

You should be able to right click the black box in cmd and paste. I'll try to follow your instructions, and I appreciate you clarifying more. I'm still a little iffy on what exe / program I should run in order to pull the prompt up to run the commands given, but I'll try to figure it out. Thanks!

EDIT:
It appears that I have successfully created the test.gba. What should I be looking for when ensuring that this has been properly created? How would I go about linking the items to the pokemon, and the pokemon to the certain megas?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Nice work, Touched! I haven't tried this myself yet, and I'd love to make the thread a sticky, though a think a video showing this off first would be nice.

As for getting more sprites done, I doubt stickying the thread would actually help with that, though perhaps posting a separate thread about it in the Art section instead of having a general Gen VI resource thread might help.

But for now I'll enjoy using MrDollSteak's Mega Charizard and Venusaur sprites. :p

Exodrake

The Manliest Chick that Ever Manlied
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
I followed the instructions and keep getting this error:
commandnotfound_by_exodrake-d8zgki9.png

Exodrake

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
mega_evo_syntax_by_exodrake-d8zgmg5.png

Would this be the correct syntax to Mega Evolve while holding a Fire Stone? (the item index number for it is 95, the instructions say to make that the level argument) Because nothing happens when I press Start with the move selection screen up, no sound effect plays and it just executes the move. Unless I need to set a variable to enable it like in the vanilla games where you require a key item to use mega evos?

Before anyone points out that I'm supposed to patch a clean ROM, I have the same problem when I do that too, the Mega Evolution just won't work. So that error in the command prompt has to be significant, because just double-clicking the insert.py seems to produce a test.GBA that is unmodified.

Last edited:

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
The error means you probably didn't add devkitarm to your path properly.

Exodrake

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
The error means you probably didn't add devkitarm to your path properly.
It doesn't seem to matter where I put the binaries, I put them in every folder possible, I still keep getting the same error. I also put the contents of devkitARm and the folder itself in every folder within the github download package. Doesn't matter, still getting the error.

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
but but but but but
Did you actually add them to your path?

Back