• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Hopeless Trainer Editor

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
This looks fantastic. Would love to see a few features:

Customizable item presets:
Next to the items list, have a "save set as preset" button and then a drop down list. When clicking the save set as preset it lets you type in a name for the preset, and then at any time you can click the drop down list on a trainer and click the saved set to apply all 4 items, cutting your time into a 1/4th.

Randomize Pokemon by Type:
When you set up most of the trainers, you don't really care what pokemon you give them. A lot of the time you know the bug catcher will be using bug pokemon, but what specific bug pokemon isn't always important. It would be nice to see an option next to the pokemon to just click a type, and it randomizes the pokemon the given trainer has based on that type. You would still have to set all of the other things for it, but it would save time scrolling through them. This would also help with people not familiar with all pokemon. (however if they are hacking it they are probably knowledgeable with most)

Might also be nice to have a randomize trainer that matches up the image with the title given.

Hopefully everyone enjoys my ideas!

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Actually i wouldnt mind seeing this too. Maybe add a section to the ini to allow for customization regarding what pokemon are used?

Yeah, would also be nice.

Depends on how advanced you would want to get with a feature like this, but you could also do it based on evolution tier. IE base, 1st evolution, 2nd evolution etc. Or rather have an option for "highest evolution" so it includes pokemon without evos.

But yeah, having features like these I think would really set this apart from others and it would make creating so much easier. Editing huge lists of trainers for complete hacks is so time consuming. The amount of hours saved from features like this would be nuts.

Jaizu

Average rom hacker
Years
Hi!
I tested it and it works really good, grats for your job.
Just a little suggestion:
Attack names(maybe trainer names too?) don't support characters like: ó ñ ú etc

And a question about the ini; I repointed my attack and attack name table, is this tool complatible with it? I mean, I can only specify the name of attacks and attacknames not their offsets.
Thanks for the tool and keep the good work!

Years
Hi...can someone plz tell me how to change the backsprite of the trainer? I mean the sprite at the sprite at the beginning of every battle. Thx:)

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
This looks fantastic. Would love to see a few features:

Customizable item presets:
Next to the items list, have a "save set as preset" button and then a drop down list. When clicking the save set as preset it lets you type in a name for the preset, and then at any time you can click the drop down list on a trainer and click the saved set to apply all 4 items, cutting your time into a 1/4th.

Randomize Pokemon by Type:
When you set up most of the trainers, you don't really care what pokemon you give them. A lot of the time you know the bug catcher will be using bug pokemon, but what specific bug pokemon isn't always important. It would be nice to see an option next to the pokemon to just click a type, and it randomizes the pokemon the given trainer has based on that type. You would still have to set all of the other things for it, but it would save time scrolling through them. This would also help with people not familiar with all pokemon. (however if they are hacking it they are probably knowledgeable with most)

Might also be nice to have a randomize trainer that matches up the image with the title given.

Hopefully everyone enjoys my ideas!

Actually i wouldnt mind seeing this too. Maybe add a section to the ini to allow for customization regarding what pokemon are used?

I'm not exactly opposed to making a trainer randomizer, but is it really necessary? Going through and just setting Pokémon isn't really all that difficult. I want to maintain tool simplicity, and loading a bunch of Pokémon data would really complicate things unnecessarily. Same thing for the saved items. It's really not that necessary. Though I wouldn't be opposed to including a few basic item presets.

Hi!
I tested it and it works really good, grats for your job.
Just a little suggestion:
Attack names(maybe trainer names too?) don't support characters like: ó ñ ú etc

And a question about the ini; I repointed my attack and attack name table, is this tool complatible with it? I mean, I can only specify the name of attacks and attacknames not their offsets.
Thanks for the tool and keep the good work!

Thanks a bunch! That's not really an issue with my coding but more an issue with Windows stuff. But, I think there is a solution so I'll hopefully get that sorted out right away.

This is so great tool for beginners though.

Thanks! I wanted it to be easy to use for all levels. :)

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
I'm not exactly opposed to making a trainer randomizer, but is it really necessary? Going through and just setting Pokémon isn't really all that difficult. I want to maintain tool simplicity, and loading a bunch of Pokémon data would really complicate things unnecessarily. Same thing for the saved items. It's really not that necessary. Though I wouldn't be opposed to including a few basic item presets.

Thanks for the response! The reasoning is that while its easy enough to make your own, doing things like randomizing pokemon on type would inspire the use of pokemon that aren't normally used. Most of us are chalk full of habit. We would only be using a select few, mostly favorites. This would just help out a lot.

When doing full conversions, you're looking at changing tons of trainers. Doing things like randomizing might seem like a small thing to begin with, but the amount of time it would save when editing say 200+ trainers is crazy.

I'm glad you like the item presets idea. Still though, wonderful program. I'm having a good time using it!

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Hey, apparently this bug is still in 0.9.1:

I know Advance Map doesn't completely hog the file, however XSE does and that wasn't open. Hopefully you can fix this :)

You know, I could've sworn that I had it set up to share the file whenever it wants read/write access. I guess I'll need double check it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
This is a fantastic tool, great work! I've got one suggestion, though: Could you allow the Trainer AI value to be set higher than seven? According to a thread in Research and Development it's actually a 32-bit bit field (although only the first nine bits actually matter), so allowing it to be set to up to 0xFFFF instead would be nice.

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
This is a fantastic tool, great work! I've got one suggestion, though: Could you allow the Trainer AI value to be set higher than seven? According to a thread in Research and Development it's actually a 32-bit bit field (although only the first nine bits actually matter), so allowing it to be set to up to 0xFFFF instead would be nice.

Thanks! Do you think you could link me to the thread? I'd really like to read about that. :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Does this trainer editor show their location in the game? The hack that I'm working on is meant to have different Pokemon for all of the gym trainers, but I can only locate the gym leaders with trainer editors already in my collection.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
Hi, i have tried the tool, and it work great for editing the pokemon for the current trainers, but there is no option for adding new trainer, there is a way to create extra trainers slots (356 for me on emerald), that do not replace original or existing ones..??

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Does this trainer editor show their location in the game? The hack that I'm working on is meant to have different Pokemon for all of the gym trainers, but I can only locate the gym leaders with trainer editors already in my collection.

No, it does not show the location of the trainers in the game. You can find a specific trainer by looking at the script for said trainer, then going to the ID specified in the script.

Hi, i have tried the tool, and it work great for editing the pokemon for the current trainers, but there is no option for adding new trainer, there is a way to create extra trainers slots (356 for me on emerald), that do not replace original or existing ones..??

I'll answer your question by quoting myself:
Lost Heart said:
This is actually impossible right now. The game has pretty strict limiters in the memory that limits the number of flags available for trainers (which store win/not encountered status), and the process of adjusting said memory is beyond our (meaning the community's) capabilities because of how much space is needed. Or something like that. If/when this becomes possible, you can bet that I will include such a feature!

Basically you're stuck replacing the existing spaces.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
Basically you're stuck replacing the existing spaces.

Ok, thanks for your help, now i have a different idea, there is a way to create script to randomize the current pokemon a trainer owns. Eg. Each time you battle the trainer the pokemons will be selected from a random list of choices...

Back