• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Dex Holders' Challenge

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
This is a Challenge meant to be difficult, but customizable. Make it whatever difficulty you'd like, with whatever rules you'd like! Read on....

The Dex Holder's Challenge

The idea for this challenge is to play through a series of quests by the Dex Holders from the Pokemon Adventures/Special manga! Don't worry, you don't have to have read it before to play. Each Dex Holder will have given you a challenge of either beating the game or a side quest to fulfil, some very simple, some incredibly challenging.

Rules:
1 You may choose however many challenges you are doing, including multiple ones from different regions.
2 You can choose whether or not you want to post screenshots, but please at least update even with just the final results of each Challenge.
3 The challenges do not have to be in the order I wrote them in for National etc, it's just easier to follow if you go by this so you can mark them off. But its fine to do them in any order.
4 Concerning the ones that say 'No HM Slaves', think carefully about your team. It does not need to be only 6 Pokemon, since some people prefer more than 6 to train, but do be careful to follow that. If you decide to only use 6, and end up forgetting a certain HM was needed, use it in the next Gym/Rival Battle! >8D (Or just train it lol.)
5 Follow all the normal Pc rules. :)
6. Hexoc has been doing more than one challenge at once, dunno why I didn't think of that, but it's a reccomended choice if youre up for that!

The Challenges go by each Region, and not all the Challenges strictly follow their Ability, it may follow their personality.

Kanto
Spoiler:

Johto
Spoiler:

Hoenn
Spoiler:

Sinnoh
Spoiler:

Unova
Spoiler:

WHEN YOUR CHALLENGE IS FINISHED:
RGBY: Capture/Beat Mewtwo
GSC: Beat Red
RS: Capture/Beat Rayquaza
FRLG: Clear Island 5 of Team Rocket
E: Beat Steven and Rayquaza
DP: Capture/Beat Giratina
PT: Capture/Beat Dialga and/or Palkia
HGSS: Beat Red
BW: Capture/Beat Kyurem
BW2: Capture/Beat N's Dragon
XY: Capture/Beat Zygarde
ORAS: Complete Delta Episode

Of course, as an easy mode alternative(suggested for multiple challenges):
RGBYFRLG: Beat Champion
GSCHGSS: Beat Lance
RSORAS: Beat Steven
E: Beat Wallace
DPPt: Beat Cynthia
BW: Beat Ghetsis
BW2: Beat Iris
XY: Beat AZ

Lack-Two(Rakutsu), Whi-Two(Faitsu), X, Y, Sun, and Moon have no Challenge as of yet, so they will get one when more Arcs are revealed. National Challenges will be counted as Former National Challenges until their's are also completed once they have more story in English.

No specific games need to be played. Not every Challenge can be done in every game, RBY for example has no Contests or happiness stat. So feel free to use Emerald for all if possible but you can also use each game from the Dex Holder the challenge belongs to. :) It would be nice if you state which game you played for which challenge, hacks are allowed too if they fit with the criteria stated in said challenge. :)

Spoiler: Your application should look like this:

National Application:

Username: PCUserlol3
Mode: National
Challenges: National

National means all the challenges.

Regional Application:

Usename: Wynautplay
Mode: Regional
Challenges: Kanto, Sinnoh

Regional means certain Regions.

Single Application:

Username: Pokemanz4Evah
Mode: Single
Challenges: Battler

Single means any one Challenge.

Just-For-Fun Application:

Username: What'sanotherusername
Mode: Just-For-Fun
Challenges: Trainer, Breeder, Healer

Just-For-Fun means any random Challenges you want.

My application:
Username: DyingWillFlareon

Challengers!
Spoiler:

Champions!
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Ok - I like the idea of this so I am going to do all the challenges yay :D

Username: AoTora

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I wanted to do an update after I finished the first challenge but I'll go ahead and update anyways.
Battler: FireRed ROM. I chose Charmander, because Charizard is the most popular of the three. He evolved after the fight with Brock, which took one try. We caught a NidoranM outside of Pewter and he evolved in Mt. Moon. We also caught an Abra putside of Cerulean Cape, and Nidorino evolved again after learning Horn Attack. Abra evolved soon after. Hoping for an easy battle against Misty.....

Team:
IMG%5D

Char the Timid Charmeleon
Level 22 Male
Scratch
Smokescreen
Ember
Metal Claw

IMG%5D

Nido the Mild Nidoking
Level 22 Male
Horn Attack
Peck(exchanging for Rock Slide or Megahorn later)
Focus Energy
Double Kick

IMG%5D

Abby the Serious Kadabra
Level 16 Female
Teleport
Confusion.

Last edited:

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Took some time to find my tablet for challenges but we finally did it.
Short Update:
I grinded Abby a little til I got bored, wasted all my money on potions, and went to beat Misty.meat Bisty
She killed us off too many times but I already had mo money anyways, so I used Abby against her Staryu for quick experience. Eventually we killed her Starymie and packed up for Vermillion City.

Team:
Char the Timid Charmeleon
Level 22 Male
Scratch
Smokescreen
Metal Claw
Ember

Nido the Mild Nidoking
Level 23 Male
Horn Attack
Peck
Focus Energy
Double Kick

Abby the Serious Kadabra
Level 21 Female
Teleport
Confusion
Disable
Psybeam

Last edited:

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Not sure whether or not it's ok to triple post as owner and it's been over a month but if not please tell me. -.-
I added the When Your Challenge is Finished part and rewrote some of the blurb.

BUMP?

Years
Username: James169

On a FireRed ROM on my phone, won't be doing nicknames because I find them annoying.

Years
Username: CanadianBaconX

Gonna start with Battler on Red. When you say Overused you mean the Smogon OU or like popular Pokemon? Also if we talking Smogon do you want current OU or Gen 1 OU :P

Years
At the moment I only have my starter Pokemon. Beat Brock first time, now just getting ready to beat my rival so I can fight the trainers in the north of Cerulean before I fight Misty

Team:

Charmeleon (Mild)
Lv24 Male
Scratch
Growl
Ember
Metal Claw

`Rse

新月
Years
Username: `Rse
Challenges: Charmer (Ruby)

I actually really want to try this, I never competed in contests before.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
It's been 3000 years.....

Username: `Rse
Challenges: Charmer (Ruby)

I actually really want to try this, I never competed in contests before.

At the moment I only have my starter Pokemon. Beat Brock first time, now just getting ready to beat my rival so I can fight the trainers in the north of Cerulean before I fight Misty

Team:

Charmeleon (Mild)
Lv24 Male
Scratch
Growl
Ember
Metal Claw

Username: CanadianBaconX

Gonna start with Battler on Red. When you say Overused you mean the Smogon OU or like popular Pokemon? Also if we talking Smogon do you want current OU or Gen 1 OU :P
I meant like popular Pokemon but if someone wants to use Smogon OU etc then that's cool. XD

Username: James169

On a FireRed ROM on my phone, won't be doing nicknames because I find them annoying.

I managed to forget this for too long. Updated!

Years
Slightly skipped Misty's Gym as Charmeleon on his own would struggle, so went down to Vermilion City and got the old rod, I now have a Magikarp and a Diglett from Digletts Cave.

Team:

Magikarp (Gentle)
Lv7 Female
Splash

Diglett (Naive)
Lv21 Female
Growl
Magnitude
Dig
Fury Swipes

Charmeleon (Mild)
Lv29 Male
Scratch
Growl
Ember
Metal Claw

I saved a few trainers to use to get Magikarp up a bit, will use those and then take on Misty, even though Diglett and Charmeleon are both weak to water type, they should be strong enough to get the win.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Went to SS Anne, killed rival's pokemon beat rival, taught CUT to Nidoking, (Char needs Fly later on sooooo he couldn't learn it!) and beat Lt Surge. BUT WAIT. I got pumped for the battle because I went in to the gym, beat the trainer for exp, then got the first AND second lock on the first try and I'm so pleased with myself~. Then I used Nido because everyone uses Ground types at his gym. XD Eveyone is almost level 30 I believe.

Years
got distracted from this with the task of making an all Rotom team to battle a friend, only update is that I still haven't gone back to fight Misty, but I have caught an Abra which means I'm grinding a Magikarp and Abra up to the point where they can learn an attack which is by far the most tedious thing I have ever done.

Hexoc

Azumarill Lover
Years
Update 1: Beginning to Dewford
Note I am doing both of my Challenges at once for a huge challenge
Selected Starter, choice between Larvaitar, Treeko, and Zubat, chose Larvaitar, now known as Vivian. May has Treeko to counter Vivian later on, but it was useless against me now. Caught Web Browsr the Pidgey and Aquarion the Lotad before heading to Petalburg. After Petalburg, caught I the Diglett just outside of PB, and Rao the Vulpix right after starting PB woods. Removed Web Browsr from the team for now to make room for Rao. Skipped gym to get a bit of extra training done and caught our lead, President the Slakoth. Finished training and faced Roxanne. Roxanne had a nasty surprise in the form of a Selfdestructing Pineco, Vivian barely survived. Her ace, a Nidorino, KO'd I before the final blow could land, but Rao finished it off. Her remaining Mareep was no trouble. Aqua Grunt and May 2 were no trouble. Currently in Dewford.

The Team

Active Members
-President the Relaxed Slakoth
-Rao the Naive Vulpix
-Vivian the Serious Larvaitar
-I the Modest Larvaitar
-Aquarion the Quiet Slakoth

Permanent Members
-President the Relaxed Slakoth

Long Term Members
-Vivian the Serious Larvaitar
-I the Modest Diglett
-Rao the Naive Vulpix

Short Term Members
-Aquarion the Quiet Lotad

Reserves
-Web Browsr the Bashful Pidgey

Also, let me know if I should use Spoiler tag for future updates to conserve space in the team section.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
Years
Usename: jessluvstolaugh
Mode: Regional
Challenges: Johto

UPDATE

Just defeated Jasmine

Aquadile the Feraligatr
level 33
moves:
bite
leer
dig
surf

WatTheFuck the Weepinbell
level 32
vine whip
cut
acid
sleep powder

Zuzu the Golbat
level 32
leech life
super sonic
bite
wing attack

Snoop Dogg the Granbull
level 32
strength
bite
tail whip
charm

Gucci the Sudowoodo
level 31
Rock Slide
Mimic
Mud-slap
Low kick

IDK the Nidorino
level 32
Poison Sting
Tackle
Horn Attack
Double Kick

Last edited:

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Ok guys if you're doing National/Unova(I don't remember how many are doing what....) please reread them as I've updated them because they sounded like a regular game. Just a little update. ^^

Hexoc

Azumarill Lover
Years
Since I don't have regular access to the internet right now, I make my updates in advance, so this means DOUBLE TROUBLE!!!!
Update 2
Spoiler:

Update 3
Spoiler:

Hexoc

Azumarill Lover
Years
Powered through the game, and my pre-prepared updates somehow got deleted, so I'll do this as fast as possible. Firery Path, Caught Kazammle the Alakazam. Beat Maxie and Flannery Easily. Norman fell easily as well. Route 118, Caught Elaine the Wailord. Removed Buddy and Sahara from the team, added Kazammle and Elaine. Winnoa easy. Went Through Mt. Pyre and Magma Hideout with not trouble. Caught Casey the Quilava in Safari Zone, replaced Vivian with Casey. Had much training before Liza and Tate, and beat them easily. Ploughed through the Rest of the main game with ease. Challenged and beat Rayquaza easily. Cleared out Match Call and went to steven, Fair Challenge, but I came out on top. Run Over.
Proof of Steven Defeat
Spoiler:

Final Team
Spoiler:

Hexoc

Azumarill Lover
Years
Gonna take some time off from this challenge for a few Others(Hunger Games Challenge and Slakoth Only runof Emerald) but will be back and will likely do a Regional Challenge next. Have one question for future runs, do ROM hacks just need to be capable of fulfilling a challenge requirement to be used in a run? It looks like that is what you have in the rules, but never hurts to be sure.

Back