• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Idea Recycling Thread

Years
three_colored_recycle_bin_stock_photo_Slide01.jpg

Have you ever thought of ideas but just have too many? Are you having an idea block and need some inspiration?

You've come to the right place! Here is where you can share ideas you've had for games, mechanics, or even just a character or two. Just post what your idea is, and tell us all about it! Keep in mind that anyone can use any idea posted here, and you don't have to abandon it by posting it here, you're just allowing other people to use it too!

Have fun!

Years
Well, since nobody else has posted yet I'll just drop some stuff here:

Some sort of Game-show style mafia, where the people not playing/dead players vote in polls that effect gameplay/cause events.

A Dr. Who mafia game with a zygon twist, it would be really cool to have the Osgood box theme in there and make for interesting gameplay.

A game where the dead people count against the town, so if there's less than half of the villagers alive then the town loses. Clearly this would require a major re-balance of the game, thus why I haven't done it XD

A role that every time they shoot a gun they also hit one other random target.

A role that can start a private chat with anyone in the game, however they won't know anything about the other player's role or alignment.

A role that "revives" dead players so they can talk but not vote or use actions.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
Dropping an idea for a role here. It was the secret role of dropper in Toontown, and the person who got it was never active as well as the person who replaced them. I'll put the role PM here.

You are the Dropper!​
Congratulations! You're not a bad guy, rejoice! Or not. I'm not your mom. Or am I?!

A mysterious toon which is often seen lurking in the shadows and dark alleys of the streets. You have a one-time use button. You know what that button does? It starts a night phase. Get it? Nightfall? Dropping? Falling?

...sorry.

During that night phase, nobody but you (and another player you have selected) can perform their actions, and you have the opportunity to either:
  • Expose the role of a particular player to the public
  • Protect yourself for the following (Real) night phase
  • Kill a player
(have fun hehe)

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
Years
So in the game I'm trying to put together, I know for sure I want to make use of the HP/Attack system over the lynching system.

However, I was wondering if it would be balanced/reasonable if I added a defense stat in, as well as maybe a few other stats? I'm still in the alpha/very rough stages of planning this out. So regardless of feedback, I think I'm going to test out some of these stats in private and hopefully get a good idea and report back here with my findings?

My initial concern, before testing, would be if some characters had a low attack value (since 1 damage did exist in both TDD and RI), than any non-zero amount of defense is immune to said player's attack.

Of course, this is where my testing would come in handy and I can find a way to make sure that no defense stat is higher than any attack stat. But I still think it would be amusing (and make some logical sense) that some players just don't have the damage to hurt another player. :)

So, I would really appreciate thoughts and feedback on this :D

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
I think you'd need to be careful with balancing and that's tough. It's why I utterly avoided them in tDD, as well as status effects (save a few that were easy to manage). The solution would be to ensure no DEF is higher than any attack, but that also throws balance askew.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
I tried to do stats in CONNECT: Act One, but I found it really hard to balance it out so in the end, I scrapped the idea and just kept the CONNECT ability lmao

Ullion

Years
Aye, after doing some role write-ups I think I found more of a comfort zone with some roles having a form of damage reduction in their own ways. Makes more sense for the game as a whole, if I were to make a guess :)

Thanks for the response and feedback!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 25, 2023
Aye, after doing some role write-ups I think I found more of a comfort zone with some roles having a form of damage reduction in their own ways. Makes more sense for the game as a whole, if I were to make a guess :)

Thanks for the response and feedback!

Hey I might be a little late to this party, but we are on a Pokemon themed site, so why not look at the formula used in the games!?
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Damage#Damage_formula

Now I know that you'd need to tweak it a bit (such as removing the attacker's level, STAB bonus, etc.) but this way someone with 1 atk can still possibly do damage to someone with def>1.

Ullion

Years
This may sound horrible on my part, but I'm going to go ahead and say that looks like way too much work. I don't want to have to run that calculation 20+ times every phase or something. D: A very cool suggestion though! I feel like it's a tad too complex and unnecessary though.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
Still, if you're a bit handy with Excel, the calculations shouldn't provide a lot of trouble if you're doing it right. The biggest concern is moreover that the game should be clear and understandable, both towards the players and the GM himself and I was afraid adding more detail in the system wouldn't do it any good, that's why I left it out in RI.
You could always just use an absolute defense, like taking 2 damage less from each attack. (Optionally with a minimum of 1.)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I believe me and Cathy are going to do a simplier way to handle "defence" in our game. Not so much that people have a defense stat, but certain roles will have magic attack and other roles will have physical attack. vise versa there will be characters with a strong MD and PD so if say a magic attacker attacks someone with high magic defense it would inflict less damage (perhaps 25% less? we're still in development stage ourselves) than if they used a magic attack on someone that takes physical attacks well but magic attacks not as much.

then maybe a role or two with extremely high physical defense but low magic defense we're not 100% sure yet, i believe. haven't been able to work on it in the 2 weeks i've been without a laptop. :U

but a thought, i suppose! but we'll be able to do this because magic/physical split. which, ofc, would be the only split that we'll do. adding elemental attacks and so forth on top of that would be too much work for a mafia game, imo.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
My initial concern, before testing, would be if some characters had a low attack value (since 1 damage did exist in both TDD and RI), than any non-zero amount of defense is immune to said player's attack.

What I did for the FDL battle arena event (which had both physical and magic defense stats) was make it so each defense stat removed a percentage of damage, rather than the actual value of the defense stat, so that no damage was ever reduced to zero, but higher stats still provided significantly higher reductions.

Back