• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Three New Pokémon: Yungoos, Pikipek & Grubbin

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Apr 23, 2017
Mongoose have a natural enemy to snakes.. I wonder if we will get a new snake-mon this time..

Also woodpeckers and grubs/ termites are natural enemies, too. Interesting idea about Grubbin getting an Electric typing in evolution..hmm

Pikipek has is one of the more interesting starting bird types. I see it either having fantastic evolutions or disappointing like gen5's .

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
They are were awesome! The game looked great as well when they played it! I really can't wait for more!

And expect the kola and dog tomorrow.

Years
Yungoose looks like Donald Trump. Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees it.

The others are nice enough. Standard bird, standard bug. I'm hoping they'll evolve into something more unique though.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I also think that they will show Nyakkoala and Iwanko tomorrow after corocoro is already out. I wonder if they'll show more info tomorrow early on at their Treehouse live @ E3.

@ Esper Yeah, I thought of that too. That fur looks like his hair, and then there's the growling teeth...

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
So we finally see the bird from the teaser trailer in full animation, and what do you know, it really is a woodpecker.

Looks we were wrong about Kekoala, because Yungoos is the real early route Pokémon we'll be encountering. Grubbin came out of nowhere, as it wasn't part of the CoroCoro leak nor did we encounter it from the demo unlike the previous two.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
So we finally see the bird from the teaser trailer in full animation, and what do you know, it really is a woodpecker.

Looks we were wrong about Kekoala, because Yungoos is the real early route Pokémon we'll be encountering. Grubbin came out of nowhere, as it wasn't part of the CoroCoro leak nor did we encounter it from the demo unlike the previous two.

Wait, who thought Nekoala was going to be early route? I was defiantly thinking mid/mid-late.

Defiantly agree about Trump. :P I want it off this planet, really dislike the design, its so un-natural.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Wait, who thought Nekoala was going to be early route? I was defiantly thinking mid/mid-late.

The people who were first introduced to this month's CoroCoro leaks, because the early route Pokémon are usually the first to be shown after the starters and legendaries.

Years
Looking at an Asian Hornet Larvae and a Termite Larvae, Grubbin look more like a Termite than an Hornet.

But it seems to be based on a Grub who are tied to Beetles.

I had similar thoughts myself but searches for bioelectric beetles only resulted in stuff about cars.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 12, 2016
I found the yungoose entry interesting so I did a quick Google search and found mongoose were introduced into Hawaii to control rat population so I think we will get a new mouse/rat Pokemon along with it. Or it could just be pikachu and pichu are probably available around the early routes

Bobbylicious

Banned
Years
I like them but I wish their names were better. They al just look like they're direct romanizations from the Japanese names (which I don't think we know yet, but just feeling that from knowing their English names is enough for me to think they're unoriginal)

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
These descriptions are nice! I really hope to see Grubblin becoming an electric type :3 And Popplio a fairy type, really? I accept it gladly!
But now I have a question about Yungoos : where this Pokemon comes from? It's not "Kalos native".

Years
Mongoose have a natural enemy to snakes.. I wonder if we will get a new snake-mon this time..

Also woodpeckers and grubs/ termites are natural enemies, too. Interesting idea about Grubbin getting an Electric typing in evolution..hmm

Pikipek has is one of the more interesting starting bird types. I see it either having fantastic evolutions or disappointing like gen5's .
They might as well make Yungoos a pre-evo of Zangoose if we're to get another Mongoose snake rivally. Interestingly both Yungoose and Zangoose names are the same in Japanese as they are in english.

Likely the Pokémon Yungoose is meant to get rid of (described in the dex) will be a rat Pokémon to mirror how Mongoose were introduced to Hawaii to curve the rat population.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Pikipek is my favorite of the three. We finally have a woodpecker Pokémon. Yungoos also has a very interesting description and a nice ability. Grubbin, though... Its design is the only thing that keeps it going.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
Years
I like the designs of the new pokemon! I am slightly disappointed at Pikipek being Normal/Flying though. I thought they'd deviate from the pattern and give it something like Grass/Flying (I know we have Rowlet but it suits the woodpecker concept). Yungoos' ability Stakeout is really good. Imagine if it learns Pursuit omg. Grubbin is just so derpy cute and it's such a fitting cousin to the Joltik family. It's probably gonna get Solar Power as a hidden ability like Helioptile given the sunlight connection.

Years
I like them but I wish their names were better. They al just look like they're direct romanizations from the Japanese names (which I don't think we know yet, but just feeling that from knowing their English names is enough for me to think they're unoriginal)

Here are their Japanese names if you're wondering:
- Agojimushi (Grubbin)
- Tsutsukera (Pikipek)
- Yangousu (Yungoos)

Years
- Agojimushi (Grubbin)
- Tsutsukera (Pikipek)
- Yungoos (Yangousu)
Yungoos is actually 'Yanguusu' or alternatively spelled 'Yangūsu'. There's no 'go' or 'u' hiragana in it's name at all, there is a 'gu' with a — after it indicating a drawn out 'u' sound. At least that's the hiragana for it's name that I've seen online.

Speaking of 'Yanguusu' I found out that the Mongoose imported into Hawaii was the Small Asian Mongoose. So if we take the heavy real life inspiration SM seems to have then Yungoos might appear in a future mainland Asia based region.

Years
Yungoos is actually 'Yanguusu' or alternatively spelled 'Yangūsu'. There's no 'go' or 'u' hiragana in it's name at all, there is a 'gu' with a — after it indicating a drawn out 'u' sound. At least that's the hiragana for it's name that I've seen online.

Speaking of 'Yanguusu' I found out that the Mongoose imported into Hawaii was the Small Asian Mongoose. So if we take the heavy real life inspiration SM seems to have then Yungoos might appear in a future mainland Asia based region.

I was going by its name as written on Bulbapedia, it seems to be what I look at for some reason. I do love your Yungoos theory there, maybe it could be a Pokemon that actually shows up in a future generation region we don't know yet and a bunch of Yungoos were sent to Alola to deal with a common pest, and the Yungoos population bred heavily and expanded their numbers.

Years
I was going by its name as written on Bulbapedia, it seems to be what I look at for some reason. I do love your Yungoos theory there, maybe it could be a Pokemon that actually shows up in a future generation region we don't know yet and a bunch of Yungoos were sent to Alola to deal with a common pest, and the Yungoos population bred heavily and expanded their numbers.

Someone mentioned on this site that Grubbin reminded them more of a kind of termite and how termites are eaten by Woodpeckers. Well the Small Asian Mongoose has decimated native bird populations in Hawaii instead of the rats it was meant to. So with that in mind we have a small little ecosystem going on.

Fun Fact: The Small Asian Mongoose was also introduced into Okinawa Japan alongside another kind of Mongoose. Evergrande island, Battle Tower/Frontier island, Pacifidlog, and other islands on the right side of the Hoenn map are based on Okinawa prefecture. Zangoose was introduced as a Hoenn Pokemon. Ironically Zangoose is on the left side of the map...

Bobbylicious

Banned
Years
- Agojimushi (Grubbin)
- Tsutsukera (Pikipek)
- Yangousu (Yungoos)

Thanks babe.
I gathered Grubbin would contain the word mushi in it's JPN name somewhere. The other two still feel like direct translations, even though Pikipek's is completely different.

Years
I'm not overly wowed by these three yet but I don't dislike them either. I am stoked that they seem to be setting up a new Pokemon rivalry though!

Back