• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] NPCs Following the Player in Fire Red?

Cuprite (Kyu)

Formerly TheGoldenRiolu
Years
Is it possible to have an NPC follow you throughout most of the game, similar to Pokemon following you in HG/SS? Can you make it so you just walk through the NPC so it doesn't break the game?
This NPC would be following you for a majority of the game.
Also, if you can do this, is there a way to have points in the game where they don't follow you?

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
Is it possible to have an NPC follow you throughout most of the game, similar to Pokemon following you in HG/SS? Can you make it so you just walk through the NPC so it doesn't break the game?
This NPC would be following you for a majority of the game.
Also, if you can do this, is there a way to have points in the game where they don't follow you?

Currently it's not possible. A couple elite members on this site started research into the HGSS following routine, but it's never been finished. I believe something might be achieved where they can follow you on one map, but there's always a problem with warps/connections to other places. It's just not possible to have them do it throughout the whole game at the moment. I don't know if it ever will be, to be honest.

Cuprite (Kyu)

Formerly TheGoldenRiolu
Years
Currently it's not possible. A couple elite members on this site started research into the HGSS following routine, but it's never been finished. I believe something might be achieved where they can follow you on one map, but there's always a problem with warps/connections to other places. It's just not possible to have them do it throughout the whole game at the moment. I don't know if it ever will be, to be honest.

Aww... That's a bit disappointing. Well, if I ever do get the time to make the ROM hack I want to, I guess I'll have to stick with the whole party member entering your body to join thing.
XD

(You do understand what I mean by that, right?)

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
Aww... That's a bit disappointing. Well, if I ever do get the time to make the ROM hack I want to, I guess I'll have to stick with the whole party member entering your body to join thing.
XD

(You do understand what I mean by that, right?)

Kinky.

Sounds like a plan. Hope it works out for you.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Aww... That's a bit disappointing.

What, no, it's totally possible to have it follow you throughout the game, it's just a pain in the butt right now because you have to redo the script for every map, but if you're changing every map anyway that's not too awful. I've done this myself. It's just really tedious. You also have to despawn before you go to new areas with map connections unless you want to risk your spawn accidentally summoning two of the sprite, I think - although that might be because I was readding the sprite to every map, pretty sure there are better ways I just didn't learn them. So with just two scripts you call (and no scripts at all inside houses) you can have follow me throughout the game.

edit: *by redo, I mean add the script again, not type up a new script, my bad for being vague.

edited again: Here, I'll even give you a patch for followme, because I know compiling in python is a pain for newbies. Keep in mind this is 2 years old so I dunno if there have been any updates, I know it was buggy with ledges, but it does in fact do the ghosting so it works fine.

Attachments

• followme.ips
    848 bytes · Views: 62
Last edited:

MM980

"You said you have a dream...That dream...Make it
Years
What, no, it's totally possible to have it follow you throughout the game, it's just a pain in the butt right now because you have to redo the script for every map, but if you're changing every map anyway that's not too awful. I've done this myself. It's just really tedious. You also have to despawn before you go to new areas with map connections unless you want to risk your spawn accidentally summoning two of the sprite, I think - although that might be because I was readding the sprite to every map, pretty sure there are better ways I just didn't learn them. So with just two scripts you call (and no scripts at all inside houses) you can have follow me throughout the game.

edit: *by redo, I mean add the script again, not type up a new script, my bad for being vague.

edited again: Here, I'll even give you a patch for followme, because I know compiling in python is a pain for newbies. Keep in mind this is 2 years old so I dunno if there have been any updates, I know it was buggy with ledges, but it does in fact do the ghosting so it works fine.

How to use this after patching

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 27, 2022

Hello, thank you for sharing and making a patch this, especially since I can't install python and or devkit arm on an old computer (mine is win7 32bit).

I just wanted to ask though. What are the offsets used in this patch? And is it viable to use it on a hacked fire red already?

Nvm, figured it out exactly.

It's using 0x800000+

Last edited:
Back