• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Missing Mega Stones - event only?

Years
Read the article!

Today we got a bit of a development into how we could end up eventually obtaining those missing Mega Stones for non-Alola Dex Pokemon in Sun & Moon, and it's not exactly the way we wanted.

The Pokémon Company has spoken about the fact that Mega Stones for various Pokémon are not currently available. Giving an explanation, it then went on to say that the Mawilite and Beedrillite will be distributed through an entry gift for an Online Competition in late February. It is stated that the other missing Mega Stones will be distributed through similar means as time passes. We'll bring the information for all future Mega Stone distributions as it comes so be sure to keep checking back.
- Serebii.net

So, how do you feel about this? Are you happy that these missing Mega Stones will eventually be made available again, or not so happy that they are event-only?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
It's good to hear that we'll be getting the other stones somehow, but....why this way? Why are some stones now going to be event-only when last gen all of them except Diancite were available to everyone in-game? It shouldn't be that way imo.

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
If they were to be ported over via Mystery Gift as event items on a consistent basis sure, but if they're going to go down more of an battle competition route that's going to turn some people away. To some these folks, that's an unnecessary requirement they have to do to get items that were readily available for the most part a generation earlier. We're getting them anyway, so at least they went to address the issue sooner rather than later.

td;lr ayylmao Game Freak

Years
Because Mega Evolution was the major new mechanic in 6th Gen, having them all easily available was definitely easy to explain. Since Mega Evolution is now pushed aside in favour of Z-Moves you can see why it was locked to postgame, and for some odd reason the Alola Dex only, until now.

Game Freak had made so many questionable decisions in this generation, and this is one of them. I would have preferred a Mystery Gift event (since I know GF are against DLC) rather than having to sign up for a tournament like this.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Seriously? Of all the ways to get the Missing Mega Stones in the game THIS is what they went with

Not everyone asking where the Missing Mega Stones are is a competitive battler they may just want their favourite Pokemon's Mega in the game so they can use it for fun.

So to get Gardevoirite and Sceptilite I'm going to have to sign up for an Online Competition which I otherwise have no plans of entering just to get something that should be in the game already. And then it won't be until some unspecified point in the future and if I miss it for whatever reason too bad.

Were QR codes for the items making them available such a bad idea? Have the Receptionist at the Battle Tree give them out if they were worried getting say Gardevoirite early on would stop the game being challenging.

Seriously why this way?

Years
Seriously? Of all the ways to get the Missing Mega Stones in the game THIS is what they went with

Not everyone asking where the Missing Mega Stones are is a competitive battler they may just want their favourite Pokemon's Mega in the game so they can use it for fun.

So to get Gardevoirite and Sceptilite I'm going to have to sign up for an Online Competition which I otherwise have no plans of entering just to get something that should be in the game already. And then it won't be until some unspecified point in the future and if I miss it for whatever reason too bad.

Were QR codes for the items making them available such a bad idea? Have the Receptionist at the Battle Tree give them out if they were worried getting say Gardevoirite early on would stop the game being challenging.

Seriously why this way?

You have a strong point because not everyone is a competitive battler yet Game Freak thinks everyone who plays Pokemon games does competitive battling. Some of us like using Mega Evolutions for fun and limited methods like this make fans of the affected Megas upset.

First we have postgames of recent Pokemon games being very shallow because they want people to turn to competitive. Game Freak should not be forcing stuff like that down our throats, because it hurts the more casual players like myself.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
hell, I'm into competitive battling myself and I'd rather they hadn't done this

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
While this is certainly one way to get people interested in online competitions, I'm not sure if they should have done it with Mega Stones, which can be crucial in whether a certain Pokémon is viable or not. Hopefully this is just for SM and future titles go back to having all Mega Stones available in-game.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
To be fair, previous online competitions had cool prizes like "Lance's Dragonite" which had Barrier in commemoration of Lance's cheating unique moveset. Still, mostly competitive players were interested in those competitions despite the unique reward. But since Mega Stones are really versatile even outside of competitive play, locking certain ones behind online competitions may deter and frustrate non-competitive players.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Doesn't it look kind of bad if tons of people sign up for the competition, but only a handful actually participate in the end? Seems like a weird strategy to boost some statistics imo.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
I don't think this is a huge deal. Sure, a more preferable way would've been distributing them through Mystery Gift, but as Rivvon already said, Mega Stones might be a way to draw up interest in online competitions, which in itself isn't a bad thing. I'm curious to what these onine competitions are though since I've never participated in one, myself.

Is it really a way to draw interest in online competitions though? Personally I'll only be entering the completions with the Mega Stones I want. (Gardevoirite, Sceptilite and maybe the other Hoenn Starters). I'm certainly not going out of my way to build a team for said competition.

There's no good reason that the Mega Stones should not be in game already. If you want a Fire Mega in Sun/Moon at the moment you have Charizard or nothing, for a Grass Mega the only choice is Venusaur until whenever they release Sceptiles and Abomasnows Megas and so on.

This feels like a way to force people to battle online competitively which a lot of Pokemon players I can see not bothering with or reluctantly registering and throwing out anything to battle with. I can see a lot entering for just the Mega Stones meaning a lot of nothing teams in the early rounds of the tournament.

I'm normally against Cloning but hopefully there is a way to clone items so that people who miss out on the Mega Stone they want or lose their save for whatever reason can get their favourite Mega Stone.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Perhaps, perhaps not. People who haven't participated in these online competitions would now have an incentive to do so. And who knows? Maybe after participating they'll actually like participating in these competitions because they're fun and participate in more in the future.

A bit of devil's advocacy here.

As I mentioned, it could be worse -- TPC can very well make Mega Stones an exclusive item that you'd have to win and be on top for -- and that I can understanding being a huge bummer for competitive and non-competitive players alike. Don't hold your breath just because TPC made Mega Stones an entry gift now doesn't mean they won't switch the requirements and make it a first place prize or something later.

While I do agree that it's ultimately better to have these Mega Stones in the games in the first place, that's unfortunately not the case and I don't think Bank allows you to transfer Mega Stones over, so this is the cards that we're dealt with for now.

Whilst it's possible this might attract a few more to competitive battling and I could understand Game Freak wanting to move away from Megas. (Some of which are still fairly broken) but some Pokemon need their Mega to be viable. One in particular fittingly is Beedrill.

I can possibly see Game Freak upping the requirements for some of the Mega Stones for the more popular Pokemon but it's unlikely as it would alienate everyone. (Casual Players will be frustrated at not getting the Mega Stone for some arbitrary reason, competitive players would want a better reward for doing well). And then if they do that it's just asking for hacking and cloning.

It is what it is and I'm just going to have to hope that one of my favourite Megas comes out soon. As it stands though this is probably the worst decision Game Freak have made this Gen.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
All I can say here is this decision is dumb and stupid. There are some Pokemon that depend on their Mega Stones for their competitive viability (like Beedrill, Mawile, and Lopunny) and this is such a huge blow to anyone who wants to use these Pokemon to their fullest, but aren't interested in doing battling competitions/can't even do them in the first place.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
This is effectively an event that requires half an hour of effort to receive, needs to be signed up for in advance, and only lasts 3 days. Well done Game Freak, well done.

Sirfetch’d

i'll be signing up for whatever gives me my lopunnite

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
i'll be signing up for whatever gives me my lopunnite

Given this one is Baedrill and KAWAII MAWILE, I'd assume Lopunny is soon. They seem to be giving out the ones that were hugely important to the viability of certain pokemon first, and this is possibly more true for Lopunny than any other.

Years
It's great that they're distributing the remaining Mega Stones, but disappointing that they're event only. I mean, I suppose it's to try and get more players involved in the online competitions and competitive play, but I feel the Mega Stones are quite important and shouldn't be given out this way.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Looking forward to embarrassing myself competitively so I can get a hold of these Mega Stones. That'll be fun.

I can see this getting a lot of people to take part....but that doesn't mean they're going to EV train Pokemon or breed for it. Some people may even forfeit battles. (I believe you can still get entry rewards even if you forfeit)

I read somewhere that in previous contests you have to battle three times in order to get the entry gift. Though you don't have to win any of them and as I said before, forfeiting is an option. It would be nice if Pokecommunity (and hopefully other Pokemon websites) will keep us up to date on the requirements. (in case the Pokemon company don't do a good job of making things clear)

Last edited:

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
Years
This is just stupid. The moment the mega-stones are distributed people are going to hack them in/clone them and distribute them anyway. It's already bad that we had to wait 2 months for pokébank. It just hurts when I see the NPC's in battle tree or battle royal use mega's that aren't even accessible and there is no point in making us wait so long for things we had access to in the previous gen. Just release a freaking patch that makes us able to purchase them.

Back