Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.

Draconius GO

Old May 28th, 2016 (4:14 PM). Edited May 28th, 2016 by Rabbles the BInx.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reclaimer Shawn View Post
    Hey guys, may I please get some help on this? Whenever editing my bitmap image, my MSPaint always switches the color palette out with something odd, and I don't know why. I'm using the basic paint program that comes with Windows 10. Goes from the normal version to this whenever I save my edit(although it isn't finished yet):
    imgur.com/13q4EwN
    Would've posted it in picture form, but for some reason it glitched...
    MSPaint has a tendency to reassign colors to its own palette. I'd recommend using GraphicsGale, or any similar program with a palette editor, should fix the recoloring issue.

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 25th, 2016 (2:38 AM).
    Draconian Dragon Prince

Nature: Serious
      Reading up a bit at my work
      But i think i am missing something
      How in the type effevtive chart can you put up an type immunity?
      Old August 24th, 2016 (5:36 PM).

Is there a way to edit A-tack so you can use custom types? Or some attack editor that works with custom types?
        Old December 29th, 2016 (5:02 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
          if u do change the palette is there any way to make it have more colours like the 256 colour palettes or is it set in stone that its gotta be 16? (obviously i wouldnt use 256 colours thatd be too much but itd be nice to make it look nicer with more variety of colours)
          Old December 29th, 2016 (6:07 PM).
          Unprofessional Unprofessional

Nature: Adamant
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by xRyanp92x View Post
            if u do change the palette is there any way to make it have more colours like the 256 colour palettes or is it set in stone that its gotta be 16? (obviously i wouldnt use 256 colours thatd be too much but itd be nice to make it look nicer with more variety of colours)
            As far as I know, you're stuck with a 16 colour palette. Any more would require ASM to allow the game to read past the 16th colour.
            Living Pokedex Complete: LG, E, Pl, B, B2, Y, OR, M
            Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X, Elements1 and ~RNC~

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
            Old December 29th, 2016 (7:25 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by ShyRayq View Post
              As far as I know, you're stuck with a 16 colour palette. Any more would require ASM to allow the game to read past the 16th colour.
              ok thanks im tottaly crap at asm seeing as i just started it like 2 days ago so i wouldnt have any idea about that lmfao :p
              Old January 12th, 2017 (5:37 AM).

I've been trying to get this adding new types to work, and I've currently gotten to the point where I need to search for and change 942C4508 in Hex, but whenever I search for it, Hex says it can't be found.
                Anybody know what might be wrong or have any potential solutions?
                Old January 14th, 2017 (1:48 AM).
                The_Learner

Nature: Brave
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by ArcherNeedsFood View Post
                  I've been trying to get this adding new types to work, and I've currently gotten to the point where I need to search for and change 942C4508 in Hex, but whenever I search for it, Hex says it can't be found.
                  Anybody know what might be wrong or have any potential solutions?
                  Remove the 08 from the last....

Want to showcase your hack on discord server ??? Click here to get the dask done.

My works:
                  TOOL: TL's Quick Enhancer
                  TUTORIAL: Fire red habitat editing
                  TUTORIAL: Fire red Transparent text-box

| |
                  Old April 13th, 2017 (1:32 PM). Edited April 15th, 2017 by Christos.

The attacks do super effective damage but it doesn't say "its super effective".

when i use an attack it does super effective damage but doesn't say "its super effective".
                    Old April 22nd, 2017 (4:06 AM).

Spoiler:
                      Quote:
                      Hello Gentlemans and Ladywomans! I am here to bring you this very special tutorial.
                      With a new type being added in Gen VI, hackers want to stay up to date and add this new type. However, they usually just replace the ??? type but this messes up Struggle and eggs. So, here I am with this tutorial, complementing DestinedJagold's and MrDollSteak's tutorials. Check them out if you're using Ruby or Emerald respectively.

For this tutorial, you need:
                      1. NSE 2.X
                      2. A hex editor, I have HxD
                      3. A Fire Red 1.0 rom
                      4. Paint XP/Vista

Has been updated as of 31/01/2015

This comes in 3 parts, The Icon, The Chart and The Name.
                      HERE WE GO! LETS'A GO!

PART 1: THE ICON
                      Spoiler:

First, open up your Fire Red rom in NSE 2.X

Now, press navigate and a window will pop up. On the right, press the + next to "Pokemon", then "BPRE" which the code for Fire Red, then "Hud", then "PKMN" then finally, click "Status"

You'll get something like this:

Now, the palette is wierd as, so in the Palette section, type in E95DBC. Now press Open, and close the small window as you'll no longer need it.

Now export it. Go to "File", "Export" then "Export Bitmap" or just press "Ctrl + Shift + E"

Save it somewhere, then edit.
                      Now when you edit your image, only edit the height if you're changing dimension, also if you do edit it, THE DIMENSIONS MUST BE DIVISIBLE BY 8, IF NOT YOU WILL MESS UP THE ICONS. Also, it's suggested that you do not change the colour scheme as it'll make the process easier, but if you have to, be warned that it'll mess up the palette of a couple of other things.

So open up NSE 2.X again, and go to the image but this time, change the "Height" to however tall your image is, divided by 8.
                      Now, click "File", "Import", "Import Sprite Data" or just press "Ctrl + I".
                      Press "Load Sprite", click your sprite now.

In this example, I added 3 types, but theoretically, you could add up to ~250 types, but you'd be a mad man if you did.

Now, if you changed the palette, you have to change the dropbox to "Image+Palette". Otherwise, just press 'Save'

Now, you have to insert it into a different part of the rom, as it is now bigger than the original image.
                      So go to "Insert" than "Image Data". You'll get this window.

Now, if its a new rom, you'll probably get the same offset as me, but if not, it doesn't matter anyway. Once you have an offset you're okay with, press Save.
                      If you changed the Palette, do the same thing for the "Palette Data"

Close NSE and open up the rom in a hex editor.
                      Now find DC5DE908 by using Ctrl + F or whatever your program uses.

Press okay, then you get it. Now replace it with your pointer. But first, we need it in a format the game understands. Don't know how to change it? Look below!
                      Spoiler:

First, take any offset > ABCDEF
                      Split it into sections of 2 > AB CD EF
                      Reverse the 3 sections > EF CD AB
                      Then slap 08 on the end of it > EF CD AB 08
                      There ya go!

So in my case, I've got 00 00 80 08, which is quite bland. Anyway, now replace the original pointer with the new one. There's only 1 case so that's the only one.

Then, find the palette pointer, which is BC5DE908, and replace it with the reformatted pointer of your palette data.

Anyway, you may think you're done, but now the hardest part comes.

Go to the offset 452C94 using the Ctrl + G or Go to option.
                      You'll come to a bunch of hex. You need to copy 0x60 bytes.

Go and paste that into free space, preferably right under the image data. You can use a paste-insert option like the one in HxD.

Make a note of the offset. Now, what exactly is this?

This is actually code that assigns a type to an icon. It uses the type icon image, and using a co-ordinate, links a type to its icon. The way this works is complicated so I made a simple image that should help.

Here's how to find the co-ordinate of an icon.
                      1. Go from left to right. Which column is it in? Look at the top and assign your icon the number of the column, either 0, 4, 8 or C.
                      2. Go from top to bottom. Which row is it in? Look at the side and assign your icon the number of the row, from 0, 20, 40, 60, 80, A0 and onwards.
                      3. Take those two numbers and add them together. That's your co-ordinate!

E.g./ In my image, the Fajro Icon is in the column labeled 4 and the row labeled 20.
                      20+4 > 24. Fajro's co-ordinate is 0x24. Why 0x? Because this is all in hex.
                      Now what's the co-ordinate of my new icon, Lumo? It's in column 0 and row 100. Therefore, it's co-ordinate is 0x100.

Now how do we add this to the table? The table is made up of 4 bytes.
                      Byte 1 is the width of the icon. Type icons have width 0x20 which the other icons are width 0x28.
                      Byte 2 is the height of the icon. All icons have height 0x0C.
                      Byte 3 and 4 are the co-ordinate, but flipped similarly to the pointer.

E.g/ Take Fajro's co-ordinate. First make it 4 digits by adding 00s to the front if you have to:
                      24 > 0024. Split it into groups of 2.
                      0024 > 00 24. Now flip the order around.
                      00 24 > 24 00. This is the final co-ordinate of Fajro's icon.
                      For Lumo, it would be 100 > 0100 > 01 00 > 00 01.

Using these rules, we can now add in the co-ordinates of our new icons. Go to the end of the table and add them in: The height, the width, and the formatted co-ordinate. Here's mine for my 3 new icons.

Now we have to repoint. Search for 942C4508 in your hex editor.

Replace it with the reformatted pointer to your new co-ordination table. In my case, it'd be 00 24 80 08.
                      There's only 1 case so just replace that one.

Now to test it out ingame! You can use a hex editor by going to 0x254784 and editing the type byte of a pokemon. But, what's the type byte of your new type?
                      In your co-ordinate table, the first NEW entry would be 0x17, the next entry would be 0x18 and so on.
                      In my case, Lumo would be 0x17 as it is the first new entry in my table.

Success! The Icon has now been added!

Make sure to test out all of your new icons.

PART 2: THE CHART
                      Spoiler:

Now we come to the hardest part: changing the type effectiveness of your new type.
                      Okay, we're gonna need to open up our hex editor.

Now go to your "Goto" function and type in 24F050
                      You'll have a bunch of hex here. Copy 150 bytes.

Now move all this data into freespace. You can put it after the co-ordinate table if you want, as its space-saving. So go there, select 150 bytes and paste.

Hooray! Now, it is time to edit in our new type effectiveness.
                      First let's examine this data. Take the first entry:
                      00 05 05

Type effectiveness is placed in 3 bytes.
                      The first byte is the attacking type, the second the defending type, and the third, the effectiveness.
                      The types in hex are :
                      Spoiler:

Normal = 00
                      Fighting = 01
                      Flying = 02
                      Poison = 03
                      Ground = 04
                      Rock = 05
                      Bug = 06
                      Ghost = 07
                      Steel = 08
                      ??? = 09
                      Fire = 0A
                      Water = 0B
                      Grass = 0C
                      Electric = 0D
                      Psychic = 0E
                      Ice = 0F
                      Dragon = 10
                      Dark = 11
                      The new type is 0x17 (In my case Lumo)
                      Any new type after this begins at 0x18 and onwards...

Now using this data, you can see that 00 05 05 translates into Normal, Rock, 05.
                      If you know pokemon, you'll know that the 05 represents 0.5x damage as Normal is not very effective against Rock.
                      The other damage multipliers are:
                      05 = 0.5x
                      00 = 0x
                      14 = 2.0x

But you're not restrictly stuck with these. You can go all the way FE or 25.4x damage which is insane! How to figure out new damage multipliers?
                      Take your multipler, e.g. 5.6x
                      Multiply by 10 e.g. 56x
                      Now convert into HEX e.g. 0x38
                      Be warned as doing this won't bring up a 'It's not very effective!' or 'It's super effective' message. You need ASM for this. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to do this.

Okay, so you've figured out the way the chart works, now to edit right? Before that...
                      Let's look at this piece of data at the end.
                      FE FE 00 00 07 00 01 07 00 FF FF 00

Now the "FE FE 00" signifies that anything after this point is affected by Foresight.
                      So the 00 07 00 which is Normal Ghost 0x and 01 07 00 Fighting Ghost 0x are affected by Foresight.
                      Then we have FF FF 00 which signifies the end of the chart.
                      WE HAVE TO KEEP THESE PARTS AT THE END.

Okay, so to add a new effectiveness, just copy that piece of code, and move it down however many new effectivesnesses you'll add x3. For an example, I'll only move them down 3 spaces.
                      Now the actually adding. Using the info above, I'm sure you can make your own weaknesses and strengths on your own.
                      But here's an example.

I want Lumo to hit Super Effectivie on Fire
                      Okay so this new type is 0x17 and Fire is 0A and 2x/Super Effective Hit is 14.
                      So my code is 17 0A 14. Insert it into the new space and done!

Hooray!

Now if you want you're new effecvtiness to be affect by Foresight, just move the FF FF 00 at the end 3 bits and add it in.
                      But make sure the damage multiplier is 0x, which is 00.
                      Okay save your rom and you're finally done....kinda.

We're gonna have to repoint the chart.
                      So now, find the pointer: 50 F0 24 08
                      Now, replace it with your pointer, in my case: 70 24 80 08

There's a 5 occurrences, so keep finding the old pointers and replacing them.

Okay. Once you've replaced all of the pointers. You're done! Now to test it in game. You first have to change a move into your new type. You can go to 0x250C04 and change the type byte of one of the moves.
                      In this case, I made Tackle into a Lumo type move.

Now to test:

Success! We're now done with the second part!

PART 3: THE NAME
                      Spoiler:

Now what we're editing here is hard to explain. So here's an Image.

Here, you can see a bunch of gibberish in the corner, even though the move Tackle is now Lumo type. We're gonna change this.

So open up your hex editor again and go to the "Go To" function. Go to 24F1A0
                      The data we're concerned with is here:

As before, you're gonna have to move this to free space. Again, putting it under the previous data can save space, so do that.

Okay, so now we've got a bundle of random hex. Except that it isn't. It's actually letters.
                      Using this reference:
                      Spoiler:

A = bb
                      B = bc
                      C = bd
                      D = be
                      E = bf
                      F = c0
                      G = c1
                      H = c2
                      I = c3
                      J = c4
                      K = c5
                      L = c6
                      M = c7
                      N = c8
                      O = c9
                      P = ca
                      Q = cb
                      R = cc
                      S = cd
                      T = ce
                      U = cf
                      V = d0
                      W = d1
                      X = d2
                      Y = d3
                      Z = d4

We can see that these are the names of the types. In this order:
                      NORMAL, FIGHT, FLYING, POISON, GROUND, ROCK, BUG, GHOST, STEEL, ???, FIRE, WATER, GRASS, ELECTR, PSYCHC, ICE, DRAGON, DARK.
                      The "FF"s represent the end of the name and the "00"s are for alignment.

Now what happens next is that, Dark is type 0x11, and Lumo is type 0x17, so we need some space between the entries. This is because the "Type", "Power", "PP", "Accuracy" and"Effect" icons are technically types as well, but they don't get used in battle so they don't need names. So, what you need to know is that each entry is 7 bytes long. So, just create a string of 7 bytes that contain 6 00s and 1 FF and that will be alright. Do this 4 more times.

Now add in the new name. Use the hex values for the letters in the spoiler above.

Now, we have to repoint. The original pointer is A0F12408, and replace it.
                      My new pointer is D0258008 by the way. There are 5 cases so its a short task.

Now to see the results:

Success!
                      You've now successfully added a new type!

If you wanna edit pokemon or moves using programs, you're gonna have to edit the inis.
                      There should be 2 things you want to edit.
                      1. typenames or typenameoffset or something along those lines.
                      Change the address in this line to the address of where the name table is.
                      2. number of types.
                      To change this, first take 22 and add the number of new types you added. In my case, I added 3 new types, so I would change this to 25.

And that's it. If you read all of this, you should be able to create many new types, if you leave enough space. If you see any mistakes, please post it in the thread. Or just comment.

Credit:
                      coolboyman for the original thread on the type chart
                      MrDollSteak for his patch that includes the new Fairy type added in, and allowing me to look through the rom.
                      destinedjagold for his thread, which kind of convinced me to make my thread

I think there's a mistake in this tutorial, why did u set the width of your 3rd new type to 0x28?
                      All type icons have width 0x20...
                      Maybe u need to edit it...
                      Old April 22nd, 2017 (4:59 AM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Nisarg View Post
                        Spoiler:

I think there's a mistake in this tutorial, why did u set the width of your 3rd new type to 0x28?
                        All type icons have width 0x20...
                        Maybe u need to edit it...
                        Yep, you're right. I'll mention it in the tutorial.

Old May 7th, 2017 (6:57 PM).

Howdy! I've followed this tutorial to a T and it works really well! My only issue is that I'm adding two types, I've gotten them to function perfectly, resistances and whatnot, however my 2nd type I added refuses to appear in text form next to a move in battle. I don't know what exactly I'm typing in between my first type ("Fairy") and my second type ("Shadow") to make that text appear. The Fairy type text appears when Tackle is made a fairy type move but the shadow version is simply blank. Thanks for any help. :)
                          Old May 9th, 2017 (7:51 PM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by chaseithink View Post
                            Howdy! I've followed this tutorial to a T and it works really well! My only issue is that I'm adding two types, I've gotten them to function perfectly, resistances and whatnot, however my 2nd type I added refuses to appear in text form next to a move in battle. I don't know what exactly I'm typing in between my first type ("Fairy") and my second type ("Shadow") to make that text appear. The Fairy type text appears when Tackle is made a fairy type move but the shadow version is simply blank. Thanks for any help.
                            I'm assuming the names are right after one another. When you write the names, the length of the string has to be 7, so you have to add filler bytes after the name.
                            In your case, Fairy has 5 charactrers so add 2 filler bytes such as FF and 00. Then for Shadow, just 1 filler byte after it should work, like FF.

Old May 10th, 2017 (8:19 AM).
                            Meme Lord

Nature: Lax
                              Thanks for this tutorial. I was able to add 5 new types into my hack

Currently working on my Fire Red Rom Hack Pokémon Bismuth
                              Hit me up on Discord if you have any questions: Matthew™#9890
                              Old July 2nd, 2017 (1:25 AM). Edited July 2nd, 2017 by Forexal.

edit: Woops, forget about this one
                                Old July 2nd, 2017 (4:14 AM).

Quote:
                                  (icon) Press okay, then you get it. Now replace it with your pointer.
                                  What do you mean? What is a pointer and what is my pointer? How do I replace it?

I feel like you missed out a step.
                                  Old July 2nd, 2017 (3:43 PM).

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Forexal View Post
                                    What do you mean? What is a pointer and what is my pointer? How do I replace it?

I feel like you missed out a step.
                                    Sorry, by pointer i mean the offset you inserted your new image at. In the image before, I have an offset of 800000. This is also my pointer. They're kind of interchangable in this context. I'll update the tutorial to reflect this.

Old July 3rd, 2017 (2:11 AM). Edited July 3rd, 2017 by Forexal.

Quote:
                                      Sorry, by pointer i mean the offset you inserted your new image at. In the image before, I have an offset of 800000. This is also my pointer. They're kind of interchangable in this context. I'll update the tutorial to reflect this.
                                      Thank you, it makes sense now.

I've ran into another problem though.

With the way you get your type coordinates, you list 20, 40, 60, 80, A0, C0, E0, 100.

What is the next one below 100 if I were to say, add in 2 extra lines of types rather than one.

edit: also, C column is confusing as to how to get the coordinates.
                                      With fajiro, you added 20+4 because it was 4 across and 20 down. How would you add something which is C across and 100 down?
                                      Old July 4th, 2017 (12:13 AM).

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Forexal View Post
                                        Thank you, it makes sense now.

I've ran into another problem though.

With the way you get your type coordinates, you list 20, 40, 60, 80, A0, C0, E0, 100.

What is the next one below 100 if I were to say, add in 2 extra lines of types rather than one.

edit: also, C column is confusing as to how to get the coordinates.
                                        With fajiro, you added 20+4 because it was 4 across and 20 down. How would you add something which is C across and 100 down?
                                        After 100, you continue on: 120, 140, 160... just like in decimal.
                                        So when adding something in column C, you add C to 100 to get 10C.

Old July 12th, 2017 (11:45 PM).
                                        freddy f1shf1nger freddy f1shf1nger is offline

So, I was trying to insert just a single type into a rom but upon completion of step 1 I went to test the game and after the initial cutscreen at the beginning the game cuts to black.
                                          {The screen at which this happens is where the charizard should pop up}
                                          I was wondering what I might be doing wrong and/or if there is any way to fix this?
                                          I have a backup copy if I can't fix it - but I have tried doing this method in two Hex editors and it has failed both times.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307291 = Pokemon Hollow Mysteries
                                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHJ9ykRYbWQbvFeviqqz6Gw = Youtube Channel
                                          Old July 13th, 2017 (12:48 AM).

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by freddy f1shf1nger View Post
                                            So, I was trying to insert just a single type into a rom but upon completion of step 1 I went to test the game and after the initial cutscreen at the beginning the game cuts to black.
                                            {The screen at which this happens is where the charizard should pop up}
                                            I was wondering what I might be doing wrong and/or if there is any way to fix this?
                                            I have a backup copy if I can't fix it - but I have tried doing this method in two Hex editors and it has failed both times.
                                            Whats the size of your rom? Look in a hex editor and go to the bottom. If it is not FFFFFF, then you accidently expanded your rom. When you paste the new data, you need to paste over the FF bytes, but what you're doing is inserting it in, changing the structure of the rom.

If that's not the case, I'm not sure without more information.

Old September 2nd, 2017 (10:56 AM).

Thanks for the tutorial! Took a couple tries to get it right, and I had to start over half a dozen times, but I managed to add three new types to one hack, and add Fairy to the other! Here's a patch for anyone who just needs to add fairy:
                                              Attached Files
                                              File Type: ips Fairy type.ips‎ (10.9 KB, 2 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                                              Old September 9th, 2017 (11:55 PM).
                                              Mr.Pendragon Mr.Pendragon is offline

Hey. Can I ask some one for help my add fairy type to my hack. I afraid brak the game if I do it myself. So very please for help guys. If you want help send a mesegge
                                                Old September 10th, 2017 (12:47 AM).
                                                Mr.Pendragon Mr.Pendragon is offline

I aplly patch thx
                                                  Old 4 Weeks Ago (4:42 AM).
                                                  A noob

Nature: Bold
                                                    Quote:
                                                    sniff
                                                    The images are down. Please update them.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.

Quick Reply