• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Confirmed Switch title

blue

gucci
Years
Sinnoh/Kanto remake or gen 8 then if it is a mainseries game. I can't see them starting on a new console with a remake so we'll probably get a new generation starting on the Switch which means gen 7 will only be around two years long assuming this game does get released at the tail end of 2018. Though it's probably more likely that it'll be a 2019 release.

Last edited:

TequitoClown

Swim swim. Swim sw- Tentacool
Years
I'm fine with this, as long as they give people time to pick up the Switch. I personally won't have the money for a while, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's dirt broke. Give everyone a few years to enjoy Sun & Moon/US & UM and let them pick up a Switch in that time. Cool.

I am worried though. Some people may not buy a new console just for their pokemon games. They may lose business due to this, and a lot of sales. This could be a bad idea on a marketing standpoint. "Oh, you have the 3DS to play your favorite franchise? Well time to buy a Switch too!" I am sure this will get a backlash when it comes out.
I've never held a Switch in person, but if I may ask, how portable is it? Can you stick it in your bag? How quick does the battery drain? If it's not too much of a battery hog and you can put it in a small bag, I'd say it's fine.

pkmin3033

I am bitterly disappointed and utterly disgusted with Nintendo for this. So much for supporting the 3DS alongside the Switch. They may as well have announced they're discontinuing production of it next year right now. Without core Pokemon titles it's a dead machine. Nothing they or anyone else can make will ship as many units to make up for the loss of that.

We can say goodbye to annual Pokemon games with this too, because it will take them a lot longer than a year to make a new game. I suppose Nintendo's allergy to money is spreading beyond their shit handling of their Virtual Console to include their annual releases now too.

I knew this was coming, but I'm still annoyed. I suppose that puts me in the minority, but the Switch is not a viable replacement for a dedicated handheld system and I can't see it improving Pokemon as a franchise in any way.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
Years
I'm calling Generation 8 in 2018. It was 100% bound to happen as soon as we found USUM would be 3DS. Confirmation is nice though.

I am bitterly disappointed and utterly disgusted with Nintendo for this. So much for supporting the 3DS alongside the Switch. They may as well have announced they're discontinuing production of it next year right now. Without core Pokemon titles it's a dead machine.
The fact that you personally feel a lack of Pokemon makes the 3DS a dead machine doesn't mean they somehow lied about supporting the 3DS. They're still supporting the 3DS, what you're saying is "this support isn't good enough for me". There is no duplicity.

Also, the fact that you think they're somehow hurting their own profits by releasing on the Switch beggars belief.

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
I'm fine with this, as long as they give people time to pick up the Switch. I personally won't have the money for a while, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's dirt broke. Give everyone a few years to enjoy Sun & Moon/US & UM and let them pick up a Switch in that time. Cool.

I am worried though. Some people may not buy a new console just for their pokemon games. They may lose business due to this, and a lot of sales. This could be a bad idea on a marketing standpoint. "Oh, you have the 3DS to play your favorite franchise? Well time to buy a Switch too!" I am sure this will get a backlash when it comes out.
I've never held a Switch in person, but if I may ask, how portable is it? Can you stick it in your bag? How quick does the battery drain? If it's not too much of a battery hog and you can put it in a small bag, I'd say it's fine.

This.

This x1000.

If they give us a couple of years to be able to afford the system, that would be nice. Because if PokeSwitch releases too quickly, you bet your ass I can see only a small amount of prior Switch owners picking it up upon launch. Most of the people that I talk to can't afford a Switch right now, and won't for a while. Myself, I'd like to keep playing Pokemon, but if the Switch hits us with the new games too quickly, I might just not bother. Gonna have to live with my US/UM until I stop playing it and call it quits for awhile.

Money issues aside, I do like the concept for the Switch, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Pokemon goes with the new games!

User19sq

I'm too dirt-poor to be happy about this. I still play Gen III for entertainment, damnit!

Looks like Gen VII is the end of the line for me. Lemme know how future titles fair, will ya?

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 22, 2019
I am bitterly disappointed and utterly disgusted with Nintendo for this. So much for supporting the 3DS alongside the Switch. They may as well have announced they're discontinuing production of it next year right now. Without core Pokemon titles it's a dead machine. Nothing they or anyone else can make will ship as many units to make up for the loss of that.
... Are you seriously saying that only Pok?mon can sell the 3DS? Really?

Regardless, the 3DS dying was pretty obvious. The system is already six years old, and Sun and Moon was already pushing the system to its limits. Not to mention, GF probably made this decision, not Nintendo.

We can say goodbye to annual Pokemon games with this too, because it will take them a lot longer than a year to make a new game. I suppose Nintendo's allergy to money is spreading beyond their **** handling of their Virtual Console to include their annual releases now too.
Allergy to money? What? If anything this will make them a ton. Sure, no annual releases, but I can't imagine they'd be losing that much just because the games would be released every other year.

and I can't see it improving Pokemon as a franchise in any way.
Bigger regions? More Pok?mon? HD textures?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
There's a chance that it's not actually going to be a main series title, literally all we know is that Game Freak is working on a Pokemon game for the Switch, nothing more. It's likely a small chance though, a main series game seems more likely at the moment.

The 3DS was going to die eventually, like its predecessors, as have every old console in a line of them. Honestly I think that Nintendo's talk about supporting the 3DS/having it co-exist alongside the Switch was, while maybe partially true, largely just talk. When I look at the Switch, I see a console-handheld hybrid, and I think that this will be the norm for Nintendo from now on. Why make or continue to support a separate handheld system when you have something that basically does both?

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Am I pleased Pokemon is coming out on the switch? Yes and No.

Yes because it will mean better graphics and in theory bigger games with more content.

No because of the fact I am not buying a Switch solely for one game. I simply do not have the money to do that. There is nothing on the Switch I personally want to play enough to buy a Switch for. A 3DS is significantly cheaper than a Switch and I can see some leaving the series if they (or their family) being unable to afford getting a Switch if they haven't already especially if they already have another Home Console like a PS4 or like me an Xbox One.

I'll still follow the Pokemon series. White 2 is still one of my favourite games and I play it a lot but even if the Switch games end up being the best in the series I'm unlikely to play due to being unable to justify buying a Switch for one game.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I was really upset about this, but once I heard the game won't be out this year my anger calmed down.

If this truly is generation 8 being put on Pokemon Switch, I really can't see sales doing too awesome. I really hope it's just another one of those Pokemon Stadium RPGs that way I don't feel super anxious to buy a Nintendo Switch.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
Years
If this truly is generation 8 being put on Pokemon Switch, I really can't see sales doing too awesome. I really hope it's just another one of those Pokemon Stadium RPGs that way I don't feel super anxious to buy a Nintendo Switch.

Nah. I think pretty much everyone with a Switch would buy this, similar to BotW. And BotW sold very well. Not to mention that the game itself will be enough for others to buy the Switch.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
There's a chance that it's not actually going to be a main series title, literally all we know is that Game Freak is working on a Pokemon game for the Switch, nothing more. It's likely a small chance though, a main series game seems more likely at the moment.

The 3DS was going to die eventually, like its predecessors, as have every old console in a line of them. Honestly I think that Nintendo's talk about supporting the 3DS/having it co-exist alongside the Switch was, while maybe partially true, largely just talk. When I look at the Switch, I see a console-handheld hybrid, and I think that this will be the norm for Nintendo from now on. Why make or continue to support a separate handheld system when you have something that basically does both?

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Ishihara called it a 'core game' which is what GF tend to call 'main games'.

I plan to one day buy a Switch so I don't mind as much.
There's also the chance that Nintendo will release a cheaper handheld only version like how they made the 2DS. There were rumors of a handheld planned. Though irc that was the backup should the Switch flop... so they might not do it anymore.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Let's keep it chill guys. No need to get mad about this, it's not the end of the world. I'm pretty sure we all knew it would end up on the Switch eventually, so this isn't a surprise.

As for me I just kinda feel indifferent either way haha. I was probably getting a Switch for Pokken anyways, so it's not a big deal. I suppose if I enjoyed the 3D core Pok?mon games as much as I do the older 2D ones I would probably be more enthusiastic, but I'm still curious to see what they can pull off with a new system - bigger regions and more Pok?mon would be cool. Really hoping that if Gen 8 does begin with a DPPt remake on the switch, they use all that extra processing power to add a bunch of interesting nooks and crannies and hidden areas to Sinnoh, rather than just pasting the Gen 4 rendition into Gen 8. Exploring interesting hidden areas is a large factor in why I still play the Pok?mon games.

Years
Less concerned with what console it'll be on and more concerned with whether or not people will actually be able to find the thing. It'll get really messy really quick if this comes out and Nintendo is still only stocking two or three (if even that many) Switches per store every other month.

Also, there's nothing saying they can't make games for both the 3DS and the Switch. Not that that's likely, but it's not impossible either.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
On one hand the Switch is large and clunky. Not easily portable like the 3ds. On the other hand Sun and Moon sucked so I probably won't have to worry about buying a Switch since I don't even know if I'll buy the next gen.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Less concerned with what console it'll be on and more concerned with whether or not people will actually be able to find the thing. It'll get really messy really quick if this comes out and Nintendo is still only stocking two or three (if even that many) Switches per store every other month.

Also, there's nothing saying they can't make games for both the 3DS and the Switch. Not that that's likely, but it's not impossible either.

Well Nintendo did announce that they'll be increasing production a few weeks back. So hopefully they'll figure out a good number of how many to produce to meet demand by the time it comes out.

Years
There's a chance this new Switch game could be 8th Gen, and if prices do drop low enough over time I may actually consider getting one. Especially since it's already gotten some good games like ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which have all proven to be hits with the console, so I'm sure this new Pokemon game will get the sales going for sure.

Back