• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Update v170709 released. Also...

First off, the update. It fixes that longstanding issue that's been irritating me since Throwback's inception. The tune that plays when you beat the Pokémon Champion is supposed to keep playing when transitioning back to the overworld. It didn't do that properly for the 8-bit version of the track.

Well, now it does! tkim posted a fix for it earlier in the thread, and that's what I'm using here. This was just too big a thing for me to keep hanging in the official release.

Changelog

With that out of the way, here's the big news:

You know how I stated in the OP that I'm taking a break from hacking? Well, I was serious. I haven't been compelled to return to hacking since my absence, and it's probably going to stay that way. Does that mean Throwback's done?

Nope. In fact, I'd like to announce a new phase of Throwback's lifespan.

From this point onwards, tkim will be maintaining a new branch for Pokémon Throwback. You may have seen that he's been preparing some tweaks of his own to the hack. As you all can now witness, it's actually working towards far more than just a few fixes and changes. This edition of Throwback includes some extra changes that augment the game into something with its own flair. It also looks like it could become more ambitious than my own work! It might be classified as unofficial, but that means nothing outside of the fact that I didn't oversee these changes.

The official version will always remain available from the OP in the same place it's always been. I might even come back from time to time to add some new features and fixes to it. As of today, though, this new edition will appear first in the post. Any updates to either version will be posted in this thread. tkim will post update information via a new post for future changes he makes to the modified edition of the hack. If I make any changes to the main hack, I'll make an update post and edit the OP, just as I have throughout this hack's life.

I can't thank tkim enough for the support he's given me throughout the life of this hack. He's helped me with it more than even he knows. This is the least I could do to repay him. I see this as a passing of the torch. No matter what happens with regards to my work on the hack, I'm now certain that the future of Throwback is in good hands.

NoMoreStars

Trying
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 3, 2024
It's a modified version of the latest official patch. Why don't you try patching it again? I see the changes on my end.

Odd... Didn't seem to work for me either. I tried patching it twice and it still didn't work. I didn't get an error message or anything and I'm sure I'm using a vanilla Fire Red rom.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Not to be a bad guy but... the Unofficial patch just gives an unchanged Fire Red. Wasn't it based on a recent patch?

Odd... Didn't seem to work for me either. I tried patching it twice and it still didn't work. I didn't get an error message or anything and I'm sure I'm using a vanilla Fire Red rom.

Oh jeez, there is definitely error on my part. I'm terribly sorry about this, I'll post an updated link pretty soon.

edit: The download link has been updated. Turns out I made an error when creating the patch, as I compared my ROM to the wrong unmodified ROM, leaving everything else unaltered. It should now work as a stand-alone patch. Thanks nemesish and NoMoreStars for letting me know!

Last edited:

NoMoreStars

Trying
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 3, 2024
Oh jeez, there is definitely error on my part. I'm terribly sorry about this, I'll post an updated link pretty soon.

Hey, these things will happen! Thanks for the updated link, it works like a charm now. Although I'm new to this hack, I'm super excited to see what ambitious changes you have for it in the future!

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
On the Nidoran trade, I performed this one and I didn't run into any crashes. I'm unsure why GBA4iOS would do that, but I'm running mGBA's latest from RetroArch.

This unofficial patch looks to be shaping up pretty nice tkim! Say, since you're moving TMs around how about making Sludge Bomb available before the E4? It's not a gamebreaker by any means, and it would make other Poison types more useful through the later parts of the game (especially single type ones). Given the large amount of that type in Kanto, it sounded like a sane choice to me anyway.

EDIT: OK, here's an oddball: with a certain setup of individual patches Bulbasaur's menu icon assumes the wrong palette. I've looked at this in an icon editor, all is fine but it just has the wrong palette number. It's not one of the main patches, perhaps a decap patch is doing it?

Anyway, here's a small patch that fixes that. Dunno if it's material for the unofficial one or not... I can probably throw it into mine for archival's sake if it's needed that badly.

Attachments

• Palette Fix.ips
    14 bytes · Views: 3
Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
On the Nidoran trade, I performed this one and I didn't run into any crashes. I'm unsure why GBA4iOS would do that, but I'm running mGBA's latest from RetroArch.

This unofficial patch looks to be shaping up pretty nice tkim! Say, since you're moving TMs around how about making Sludge Bomb available before the E4? It's not a gamebreaker by any means, and it would make other Poison types more useful through the later parts of the game (especially single type ones). Given the large amount of that type in Kanto, it sounded like a sane choice to me anyway.

EDIT: OK, here's an oddball: with a certain setup of individual patches Bulbasaur's menu icon assumes the wrong palette. I've looked at this in an icon editor, all is fine but it just has the wrong palette number. It's not one of the main patches, perhaps a decap patch is doing it?

Anyway, here's a small patch that fixes that. Dunno if it's material for the unofficial one or not... I can probably throw it into mine for archival's sake if it's needed that badly.

I hadn't noticed any errors either regarding the in-game trades, and I haven't tested GBA4iOS. What I use is either the basic VBA emulator or product placement here that runs on native hardware.

Thanks for the compliment! I moved TM10 (Hidden Power) from Sevault Canyon to Route 2 because in the vanilla ROM, Meowth (which can be encountered as early as Route 6) with its Pickup ability could potentially give the player TM10 pretty early on. If the move was to remain at Sevault Canyon, the player wouldn't have access to it for quite some time. I am only planning on moving TMs around if the vanilla ROM had allowed the player to obtain TMs early on that the official Throwback had changed. Sludge Bomb is in the same location in both vanilla/Throwback, so I won't change that.

There were some problems with the various Decap patches in the past and I wouldn't be surprised if those were the cause of the error. I myself won't look into the problem since I've tested Unofficial Throwback and I didn't run into that problem. It must've been a real headache for RichterSnipes to create all those various decap patches- and this is due to him providing individual patches to fit everybody's needs. At the moment I'll only provide a full patch for Unofficial Throwback. If I decide to release individual patches later on, I most likely won't include decap patches simply due to the amount of manual edits that would be required (I won't use a tool for that).

edit: Oh and I'm sorry for taking up the same offset your patch used- wish I had seen your post earlier!

Last edited:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
Ah I see! Thanks for the explaniation.

I know the feeling of that. The method I used for modular setups (one base patch and then lots of addons to build from that) alone was dificult to manage. I don't blame you for wanting to keep it singular one bit.

Blegh. Error noted, I've logged it into the readme and put it in the queue. That optional thing was the only one that would ever be effected. I'll look into repositioning that patch later on but no promises currently.

NoMoreStars

Trying
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 3, 2024
Hey! Could I make a quick suggestion for an added feature? Would it be possible to make it so that Hoenn Pokemon can be traded into the game before the national dex and the Ruby and Sapphire quest? Or would that deviate too much from the original? I really like that the game has connectivity with the other Gen 3 games (or from what i've seen thus far, at least a vanilla copy of Leaf Green) and it would be really neat to use Pokemon outside the Kanto dex during the main bulk of the game.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Hey! Could I make a quick suggestion for an added feature? Would it be possible to make it so that Hoenn Pokemon can be traded into the game before the national dex and the Ruby and Sapphire quest? Or would that deviate too much from the original? I really like that the game has connectivity with the other Gen 3 games (or from what i've seen thus far, at least a vanilla copy of Leaf Green) and it would be really neat to use Pokemon outside the Kanto dex during the main bulk of the game.

I guess I could allow that and also include so that GenII evolutions can be possible, but I'll release a separate patch for it. Completing the Ruby/Sapphire quest will still be required to trade with R/S/E.

edit: I'll just add it to the full patch.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Unofficial Throwback v170714 released! Check the main page for the new link.

Changes:

Wardrobe:
- Fixed an issue where the rival's OW in the nicknaming entry did not reflect his in-game OW. (credits to ghoulslash for finding the offset)

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Any plans on fixing the Rival's OW in the Nicknaming Screen for the standalone Wardrobe patch?
Also, some extra notes would be appreciated. I applied the Wardrobe and GB Sounds patches to my ROM and while they seem to be working fine at the moment, I'd like to know if they use any free space. I wouldn't like them getting in the way of the other modifications that I applied to my ROM.

EDIT: Yep, it seems that the GB Sounds patch unfortunately uses the free area starting in 0x71A250 so the patch could kill any hack in progress that have already used that space.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Any plans on fixing the Rival's OW in the Nicknaming Screen for the standalone Wardrobe patch?
Also, some extra notes would be appreciated. I applied the Wardrobe and GB Sounds patches to my ROM and while they seem to be working fine at the moment, I'd like to know if they use any free space. I wouldn't like them getting in the way of the other modifications that I applied to my ROM.

EDIT: Yep, it seems that the GB Sounds patch unfortunately uses the free area starting in 0x71A250 so the patch could kill any hack in progress that have already used that space.

Unfortunately RichterSnipes is taking a break from ROM hacking and I am not in charge of making changes to the official Throwback. I can however help you fix the Rival's OW in the nicknaming screen issue. Here's all you gotta do: change the bytes at 0x3E23C0 from 80 19 3E 08 -> 28 A4 38 08

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
For those of you struggling with RHDN for my downloads, I've backed up all of my stuff (plus one that is not my stuff) to MEGA in response to the not-so-pretty recent goings on with the site: https://mega.nz/#F!OI91hCTb!07Tsx9_auVpG1ksRFUDgsA

I doubt anyone here is looking for Chrono Trigger textual bugfixes, so to make it short the file relevant to your interests is FRoback. Readme included.

Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2023
Unfortunately RichterSnipes is taking a break from ROM hacking and I am not in charge of making changes to the official Throwback. I can however help you fix the Rival's OW in the nicknaming screen issue. Here's all you gotta do: change the bytes at 0x3E23C0 from 80 19 3E 08 -> 28 A4 38 08

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I just don't see it: what glitch exactly does this fix? Both locations (the original and the new one the pointer was changed to) are filled with $00s. What exactly about the OW naming the rival is broken? Thanks.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I just don't see it: what glitch exactly does this fix? Both locations (the original and the new one the pointer was changed to) are filled with $00s. What exactly about the OW naming the rival is broken? Thanks.

The fix is for those using the Wardrobe/full patch from the official Throwback, or my patch. The issue was that the rival was still wearing his default clothes in the naming screen instead of the wardrobe patch outfit. Nothing was actually broken, but the OW shown in the rival naming screen uses a different offset that for some reason contains duplicates of the original OW.

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2021
Hey! I'm about to download this for a zigzagoon solo (most likely).
I heard that not much is documented as far as modulation for the GB player item. I've done a lot of work on the music format for the Pokemon games in Gameboy, If you're interested, shoot me an email and I'll try to explain it better (I probably won't remember to check this for replies).
As a side note with the stereo panning, I think Yellow actually has a headphone option for stereo tracks

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
Unofficial Throwback v170714 released! Check the main page for the new link.

Changes:

Wardrobe:
- Fixed an issue where the rival's OW in the nicknaming entry did not reflect his in-game OW. (credits to ghoulslash for finding the offset)

Extras:
- Trade/evolution restrictions involving Pokemon outside the Kanto Dex has been lifted. Ruby/Sapphire quest will still be required for trading between R/S/E. (credits to Sagiri for the fixes)

Since you've taken over Throwback and Richter is, for all intents and purposes, MIA for now, perhaps you can answer a question for me? I'm wondering if Throwback is compatible with this patch from Mr. Doll Steak without breaking a ton of things.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326301

Looking at Throwback and the patch, it doesn't look like they touch any of the same things, but I was just curious for an answer from someone actually working on Throwback. Having Throwback with the physical/special split, modern moves, etc. would be amazing.

Last edited:
Back