• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
Is it too early to suggest they might beat Derby's point record?

Maybe not. They're now 25/1 to beat Derby's goal record from that season. Hard to make such a prediction at such a stage, but I think we will have a better idea in 6-8 weeks.

Years

That is pretty crazy.

Maybe not. They're now 25/1 to beat Derby's goal record from that season. Hard to make such a prediction at such a stage, but I think we will have a better idea in 6-8 weeks.

Well looks like Palace might be just fine after all. Very surprising win.

I wonder when Conte will try to get rid of Batshuayi, always avoids starting him and then when he does, he hauls him off before an hour as the team lose.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Arsenal have turned into mid-table mediocrity, it's tragic.

Just a smidge of decent enough players that carry them to a Europe tournament.

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 24, 2018
MIDSEASON PLAYOFF PREDICTIONS

We're halfway into the season, and already there's been major action. Of course, that's to be expected with the NFL's ever changing nature. I've come here to discuss with you guys, what are your midseason playoff predictions based off the games we've seen?

NFC
WEST: Los Angeles Rams
I'm picking the Rams to win this division based of how well they've been playing and the significant difference in the quality of play on both sides of the ball when compared to last years 4-12 record. They sure put on a good show shredding my poor Cardinals. With Jared Goff playing efficiently and a tough as nails defense, they'll be a tough opponent for anyone.

SOUTH: Atlanta Falcons
It can go without saying that they're the better team in the NFC South. Despite the fact that the teams now lost three in a row, I still think they have the edge over their inconsistent competitors in The Panthers and The Saints. The Saints have been showing good lately, but I still wouldn't pick them to win the division. Alas, an upset would be nice, Drew Brees deserves another playoff run.

NORTH: Minnesota Vikings
The Vikings are sitting atop the North division right now with a 5-2 record. I can't say I've been paying too much attention to them lately, but I believe they have the edge over a Detroit Lions team that always seems to start strong and sputter.

EAST: Philadelphia Eagles
Before the Cowboys fans pick up their torches, I think the Eagles have a legitimate shot at taking the NFC East crown. They played a fine game shredding my Arizona Cardinals and have shown great strides and improvement on the field when compared to last years performances. While I think Dallas will still be neck to neck with Phili, I still think the Eagles will come out on top.

WILDCARDS
Dallas Cowboys, Seattle Seahawks
Outside my predictions for division winners, these two teams are better than every other team in the league. As much as it hurts to say, I don't believe The Seahawks will lose out a second place spot in the NFC West to my Arizona Cardinals.

AFC
WEST: Kansas City Chiefs
The Chiefs have a really good shot at winning their division. Following the Bronco's shutout loss and the Raiders average play, I predict the Chiefs will own the division.

SOUTH: Houston Texans
I'm jumping on the Deshaun Watson hype. The dude is Dak Prescott 2.0. Even though their defense is without JJ Watt, Watson can lead them to the AFC South crown and a playoff spot.

NORTH: Cleveland Browns Pittsburgh Steelers
Provided the Browns don't win out and the Steelers don't lose out, The Steelers should have it easy in a division with an inconsistent Bengals team and The Ravens being their only actual contest. Browns 0-16, anyone?

NORTH: New England Patriots
Their most recent game shutting down The Falcons restored my faith that their defense can perform at a high level following a horrid start to the season on the backs of the defense. If the defense can continue playing this way, Tom Brady can take em back to the top again.

WILDCARDS
Jacksonville Jaguars, Buffalo Bills/Tennessee Titans
I like the look the Jaguars have been giving lately. They look like a lot stronger team than the one we've seen in recent years. I don't see any other teams besides the Bills or Titans having a real shot at limping into the wildcard round with a 6th seed than these two. It was a pretty tough pick.

SO what do you guys think? Do any of you have something you could add to this discussion? Let me know your thoughts! After all, an injury can change a season in a blink of an eye. The NFL is known as the Not For Long league for a reason-many things in the NFL are fleeting, unless your Bill and Brady.

Years
Good run of form for your lot, I'll be honest and say I haven't been looking at the league table much because it's depressing.

I have no idea how Sheff Utd are top, they honestly looked like pure relegation fodder when we played them. Glad to see Brooks contributing for them though, he only played ten minutes against us and he still looked like their best player.

Years
I suspect them and a few other teams (Bristol City) will fade before the end of the season.

It looks like we're back on track, but Sunderland have sacked their manager just in time to play us. Hopefully they're still useless without Grayson in charge.

-Izuna-

Banned
Years
I didn't watch all of that match but the part I was paying attention to, I think I remember us being 1-0 up and thinking "...how the hell did this happen?". We were weeeeeak from what I saw, but admittedly that was only part of it. How'd the match finish in any case?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 22, 2017
I suspect them and a few other teams (Bristol City) will fade before the end of the season.

It looks like we're back on track, but Sunderland have sacked their manager just in time to play us. Hopefully they're still useless without Grayson in charge.
Yes! We are def back on track man!!!{:3}

Years
So people, Italy missed out on FIFA World Cup qualification for the first time in 60 years, with a 0-0 draw against Sweden that saw the Swedes proceed 1-0 on aggregate.

First the Americans will be absent and now the Italians? Thoughts, anyone?

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
So people, Italy missed out on FIFA World Cup qualification for the first time in 60 years, with a 0-0 draw against Sweden that saw the Swedes proceed 1-0 on aggregate.

First the Americans will be absent and now the Italians? Thoughts, anyone?

As an Italian, I am very pissed off. It's been some years since the level of our players was decreasing and it was only a matter of time since something really big would happen and today it happened. We're out of the World Cup qualification for the first time in 60 years.
This time I think the fault relies mostly on the manager, wrong starting 11s, wrong subs, wrong tactics... a failure on every side of the spectrum.
Very sorry for Gianluigi Buffon as well who wanted to end his career partecipating in his last World Cup.

Years
As an Italian, I am very pissed off. It's been some years since the level of our players was decreasing and it was only a matter of time since something really big would happen and today it happened. We're out of the World Cup qualification for the first time in 60 years.
This time I think the fault relies mostly on the manager, wrong starting 11s, wrong subs, wrong tactics... a failure on every side of the spectrum.
Very sorry for Gianluigi Buffon as well who wanted to end his career partecipating in his last World Cup.

I do feel bad for Buffon, that he had to end his career on a sour note.

But you do have a point, the Italians have fallen from grace so badly in the last few years and I wouldn't be surprised if their coach got the boot. I am happy that there's some different faces playing this time around such as first-timers Panama and Iceland, as well as some nations that hadn't played a WC in a long time, like Sweden, Egypt and Morocco.

My nation Australia has its second play-off against Honduras tomorrow in Sydney, while Peru and New Zealand also have their second play-off. One country from both these play-offs will fill the final two spots, and my Aussies played well for what was a 0-0 draw on Honduran soil last week so hopefully fingers crossed that we beat them in Sydney to make it to our fourth consecutive WC.

Years
Italy are usually one of the teams I enjoy watching at the World Cup so it is a bit of a shame, but the quality of their squads has been decreasing since they won the whole thing in 06. Maybe this will inspire widespread changes in coaching at all levels like Germany experienced in the early 2000s. Things might get worse before they get better for Italy though, Insigne looks like the only true star for them after all the retirements.

Hopefully Buffon gets a Champions League medal next year to make up for it.

Years
Australia has proceeded to their fourth straight WC finals since 2006, with a 3-1 thrashing of Honduras.

Now it comes down to New Zealand vs Peru to decide that final qualification spot.

Edit: And Peru is in! 2-0 win over NZ sends the Peruvians to their first WC since 1982.

Last edited:
Years
Well looks like Palace might be just fine after all. Very surprising win.

I wonder when Conte will try to get rid of Batshuayi, always avoids starting him and then when he does, he hauls him off before an hour as the team lose.

Don't see them surviving. They'll manage to avoid the worst point records but I don't see how they're going to get to even 30 points.

And ridiculous performance in Seville yesterday. Moreno can't play at all against them. Feels like a loss.

Last edited:
Years
I figured I'd post because the groups for next year's World Cup have been drawn.

Group A:
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Egypt
Uruguay

Group B:
Portugal
Spain
Morocco
Iran

Group C:
France
Australia
Peru
Denmark

Group D:
Argentina
Iceland
Croatia
Nigeria

Group E:
Brazil
Switzerland
Costa Rica
Serbia

Group F:
Germany
Mexico
Sweden
South Korea

Group G:
Belgium
Panama
Tunisia
England

Group H:
Poland
Senegal
Colombia
Japan

So, what are your thoughts on the groups? How do you think your team will fare? Which group do you see as the dreaded "group of death"?

Desox

This account is inactive.
Years
I figured I'd post because the groups for next year's World Cup have been drawn.

Group A:
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Egypt
Uruguay

Yes! Yes! It's 2010 all over again, we may even stay till the final stages. What a time for the youth intakes will it be.

3-5-2, Valverde, Torreira, Nandez, Gomez, Suarez & Cavani, oh yes.

Will be a nice exit to Tabárez too, which is nice after all he achieved for us in general.

Group B is meh.

Group C is real interesting because all of the teams except for France qualified via repechaje (how did you say that in English?). Both Peru and Denmark can put some competition there, dunno for Australia.

For Group D, I'm surprised of argentinian media's overconfidence, seeing they barely qualified, and more seeing that when Messi isn't able to work things out, the whole team fails.

Group E's battle for second will be interesting, I hope.

Group F doesn't really excite me.

Then you got G, in which most people would expect both european teams to qualify, but England's always a box full of surprises.

And finally, group H. I like that group, alongside with D probably the most competitive.

Reactions: %
Back