The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Seventh Generation
Journal Steve's Alola Travel Journal

Seventh Generation Alola, trainers! Come discuss the latest generation in the Pokémon series with us! This includes Sun & Moon as well as Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon.

Old January 8th, 2018 (9:07 PM).
Still working on Sun & Moon...

Nature: Quiet
    December 13, 2017

The first group of the new rotation will be Persian, my female Snorunt, Castform, and Grimer.

The first order of business was evolving my Snorunt. I have several Dawn Stones from my Pokémon searching the caves on Isle Aphun (as well as a ton of other evolutionary stones), so I gave one to Snorunt and it evolved into Froslass!

“Froslass, the Snow Land Pokémon, and an evolved form of Snorunt. An ice and ghost-type. Froslass are souls of women lost on snowy mountains that possessed icicles. When they find humans or Pokémon they like, they freeze them and take them to their chilly dens, where they become decorations. The food they most relish are the souls of men.”

173. Froslass

Geez, Rotom. That description sent a shiver down my spine…

I headed over to the Aether House on Route 15. As I approached, I saw Acerola and Hau battling some Team Skull grunts! When I ran over to help, a familiar Team Skull Admin stopped me. It was Plumeria. She sent out her Golbat, so I sent out Persian to battle. Golbat won that battle, thanks to Confuse Ray and some critical hits with Air Cutter. So I sent out Froslass and it defeated her Golbat with some super effective ice-type attacks. Next she sent out her Salandit… which, actually, seems to have evolved into a Salazzle since our last battle! A single Flame Burst was all it took to knock out Froslass. Thankfully, my Castform was able to cool things off with a Rain Dance and won the battle with a rain-powered Weather Ball.

Despite winning the battle, Team Skull was successful in their objective. They stole the Yungoos that belong to the kids at the Aether House. Plumeria said that if I want it back, I’d have to come to Po Town. According to Plumeria, Team Skull has pretty much taken over Po Town, which is located on the northwestern part of Ula’ula Island. So I went back to the Pokémon Center to rest and plan my next move.

The next morning, I returned to Route 15. I used the Ride Pager to call a Lapras to surf around the Route, but there were several large rocks blocking the way to the next route. I heard someone calling out to me from the beach. I returned to land and saw a familiar face. It was Grimsley, one of the Elite Four from the Unova region! He specializes in dark-types. I remember my pair of shiny bug-type partners during my Unova journey, Joltik and Karrablast, did extremely well against him. They battled alongside my Braviary and Larvesta, who evolved into Volcarona after the battle. He was the final member of the Elite Four I challenged. Someday, I’m going to return to Unova, and re-challenge the Elite Four, and have a proper battle against Alder, the Unova Champion.

Memories aside, Grimsley was able to help me out by registering Sharpedo to my Ride Pager. Sharpedo can surf faster than Lapras, and can also destroy rocks that may be in the way. I thanked him, and left with a promise to battle again someday.

As I journeyed the waterways of Route 15, I battled an Ace Trainer who used a Vulpix, Haunter, and Wigglytuff!

“Wigglytuff, the Balloon Pokémon, and the evolved form of Jigglypuff. A normal and fairy-type. Wigglytuff expand as they inhale, and complete to see which one can inflate itself the most. They shed their fine fur when the seasons change. The fur is gathered and spun into a luxurious yarn.”

I stuck around the route, training my team. I also tried out my Psychium Z with my Staryu, and got to see it use the powerful Z-Move Shattered Psyche! After a while of battling, I returned to Tapu Village and swapped out my Pokémon for Wishiwashi, Klefki, Bruxish, and Clefairy. I think the Abandoned Thrifty Megamart would be a better place to train this group.

December 14, 2017

That was a fun group to train. Bruxish impressed me with its high attack power, and its Strong Jaw ability made its Crunch attack pretty devastating. And Wishwashi still amuses me with its Schooling ability. Once I finished with them, I had Araquanid, Dugtrio, Poliwhirl, and Minior sent over to me.
    Later that evening, I rotated in Poliwag, Tentacruel, Sandile, and Ledian.

December 18, 2017

After a few long days at work, I continued my training with Slowpoke #1, Gumshoos, Ribombee, and Blissey.

In the morning, I brought out the next group of Pokémon: Vanillite, Sandshrew, Mimikyu, and Oricorio. I decided it was time to finish exploring Route 15. I battled a lot of wild Pokémon and Pokémon trainers, including a pair of trainers on a beach who challenged me to a tag battle. They used a Golduck and a Slowbro!

“Golduck, the Duck Pokémon, and the evolved form of Psyduck. A water-type. Golduck swim along the banks of lakes and catch fish Pokémon. They take them to the shore and quietly eat them up. It is said that the red part of their forehead grants supernatural powers to those who possess one, so they were over-hunted in the past.”

“Slowbro, the Hermit Crab Pokémon, and an evolved form of Slowpoke. A water and psychic-type. Slowbro space out while gazing at the sea. With Shellder’s poison flowing through their body, they become even spacier. Whenever this Shellder bites down hard on their tail, it gives them a flash of inspiration, which they forget a moment later.”

After that I finally proceeded to Route 16. Outside the Pokémon Center, I found a Zygarde Cell (55%), and then I went in and gave my Pokémon to Nurse Joy for some treatment.

While my Pokémon were being healed, I stopped by the Aether Base that was just outside the Pokémon Center. Inside were my old friends Sina and Dexio, who were eager to see how many Zygarde Cells were in my Zygarde Cube. The Aether Base had a Reassembly Unit, which would help make use of what I gathered.

“The machine is capable of assembly and separation of Zygarde,” Sina instructed.

“For your information,” Dexio added, “According to Professor Sycamore’s research, Zygarde is divided into 100 Cells and Cores. But if Zygarde is said to maintain the order of the Kalos region, then why is it in Alola?”

After showing me how to use the machine, the pair left to continue their research in Alola. Meanwhile, I inserted the Zygarde Cube into the Reassembly Unit, and… a new Zygarde was assembled before my eyes! Surprisingly, it’s even in the Alola Pokédex!

“Zygarde, the Order Pokémon. A dragon and ground-type. This is Zygarde’s form when it has gathered 50% of its cells. It wipes out all those who oppose it, showing not a shred of mercy. It’s thought to be monitoring the ecosystem. There are rumors that an even greater power lies hidden within it.”

174. Zygarde

The three Cores I found also have a special effect. If one of those Cores makes up part of Zygarde, it grants it a new move. The Cores I have so far allow Zygarde to use Extreme Speed, Thousand Arrows, and Dragon Dance. Thousand Arrows is an interesting move, because it’s a ground-type move that can apparently hit flying-type Pokémon! It also knows its signature move of Land’s Wrath.

December 19, 2017

After checking out the small area of Route 16, I continued along a path that led to a huge meadow of red flowers. This is Ula’ula Meadow. I used the Poké Finder to take some pictures, and spotted a new form of Oricorio. Rotom, what type is this one?

“Oricorio, the Dancing Pokémon. Baile Style. A fire and flying-type. This Oricorio has sipped red nectar. They beat their wings together to create fire. As they move in the steps of their beautiful dance, they bathe opponents in intense flames. Their passionate dance moves cause their enemies to combust in both body and mind.”

Soon after that, I battled a dancer who used a Baile Style Oricorio. It was an intense battle between her Oricorio and my Pa’u Style Oricorio. After I won the long battle, she showed me where to find some red nectar. I had my Oricorio try some, and it changed its form!

I found two more Zygarde Cells in the area (57%). After a bit more battling against wild Pokémon in the meadow, I rotated in Charjabug, Trubbish, Metang, and Lumineon.

December 31, 2017

After a few long weeks at work and a really fun Christmas, I spent some downtime on New Year’s Eve catching up on my Pokémon training. I rang in the New Year in Ula’ula Meadow, relaxing among the red flowers. I also got to relax and read a little more of Fate/Stay Night: Heaven’s Feel, because it’s one awesome visual novel!

January 1, 2018

Happy New Year, trainers! What do you think my Pokémon-related New Year’s resolution is? To finish my Alola journey and catch all 300 Alolan Pokémon, of course! I have a second, more “Ultra” journey to complete once this one is done, so I don’t want to take too much longer!

While I was in Ula’ula Meadow, an office worker wanted to challenge me to battle to celebrate the New Year. Nothing too exciting in her line-up, but it was the first Seaking I’ve seen in Alola.

“Seaking, the Goldfish Pokémon, and the evolved form of Goldeen. A water-type. Seaking react to the weather growing colder, as their whole body flushes a deep red. The sight serves as a poetic reminder that autumn has arrived. Trainers who are crazy for these Pokémon are divided into horn enthusiasts and fin enthusiasts. The two groups do not get along.”

Time for the next group of Pokémon! I took Absol, Crabrawler, Slowpoke #2, and Torkoal with me. I battled another trainer in Ula’ula Meadow, and this one had a Komala and a Sneasel! Apparently, Sneasel are native to Ula’ula Island. Probably up on the cold Mount Lanakila, which I can’t get to yet because they’re building the Pokémon League there.

“Sneasel, the Sharp Claw Pokémon. A dark and ice-type. Sneasel have a cunning yet savage disposition. They wait for parents to leave their nests, and then they sneak in to steal their eggs. They use their claws to poke holes in the eggs so they can slurp out the insides. Breeders consider them a scourge and will drive them away or eradicate them.”

After a bit of training that group, I rotated out for Gible, Toucannon, Pelipper, and Vulpix before heading out for the night.

January 4, 2018

I battled a golfer who had a pair of Pokémon that battled using a strategy using a Flame Orb. His Hariyama was able boost its attack with the Flame Orb due to its Guts ability, and the Alakazam used Trick to pass the Flame Orb to its opponent. My Toucannon was still able to easily defeat them.

“Alakazam, the Psi Pokémon, and the evolved form of Kadabra. A psychic-type. Alakazam are said to have an IQ of approximately 5,000. Their overflowing psychokinetic powers cause headaches to anyone nearby. Their brain cells continue to increase in number until their death. The older the Alakazam, the larger their head.”

I then rotated in Snorunt, Elekid, Ditto, and Komala.
    Ula'ula Pokédex: Obtained 93 Seen 101
    Old January 14th, 2018 (12:06 AM).
    Still working on Sun & Moon...

Nature: Quiet
      January 9, 2018

While training my team in the Ula’ula Meadow, my Fomantis learned a new move. Leaf Blade just wasn’t packing enough punch, since my Fomantis does better with special attacks than physical ones. So instead it learned to focus its energy and use Solar Beam! The one-turn delay may be a challenge, but if it can hang in there, it will do a good deal of damage.

I made a quick stop at the Pokémon Center, had Nurse Joy treat my Pokémon, and then had Psyduck, Skarmory, Togedemaru, and Trapinch sent to me. Time to move on to Route 17!

Route 17 is the path that leads to Po Town. There seem to be a lot of Team Skull grunts that like to hang out along this route. There is a police station on the route, but all I found inside were a bunch of Alolan Meowth. One of them seemed fascinated by something glowing… it’s a Zygarde Core! I used the Zygarde Cube to absorb it. This Zygarde Core allows Zygarde to use the move Thousand Waves, a ground-type move that keeps its opponent from escaping. As I explored the route, I found two more Zygarde cells (60% total).

As I walked around, I battled some Team Skull grunts that were around, and checked out the wild Pokémon in the area. At first all I found were wild Gumshoos, and then I saw a wild Alolan Graveler for the first time! It looks like it has yellow rocks on its body, signifying its electric typing. Rotom, is there anything else different about this type of Graveler?

“Graveler, the Rock Pokémon, and the evolved form of Geodude. A rock and electric-type. Graveler eat rocks and often get into a scrap over them. Their preferred food is dravite. After they have eaten this mineral, crystals form inside them, rising to the surface of part of their body. The shock of them smashing together causes a flash of light and a booming noise.”

When I returned to the Pokémon Center, I looked up “dravite” on one of the PC’s. Interesting.

Before returning to Route 17, I stopped by the Aether Base with the Zygarde cube. There seemed to be enough cells to assemble another Zygarde. This one looked like a large dog! Rotomdex, do your thing!

“Zygarde, the Order Pokémon. A dragon and ground-type. This is Zygarde’s form when about 10% of its cells have been gathered. It runs across the land at speeds greater than 60 mph. Its sharp fangs make short work of finishing off its enemies, but it’s unable to maintain this body indefinitely. After a period of time, it falls apart.”

I went back to Route 17, having my team battle the wild Fearow, Skarmory, Gumshoos, and Graveler, and it helped my Psyduck evolve into Golduck!

175. Golduck

After defeating a pair of Team Skull grunts blocking the entrance to Po Town in a double battle, I was approached by a middle-aged man who cautioned me not to go into Po Town. He said if I was determined to go inside, I should be prepared to either join Team Skull or defeat Team Skull. Of course it’s to defeat them! But he scoffed at that idea, and said he’ll pull my remains out when Team Skull is through with me. That’s a little savage!

I hustled back to the Pokémon Center to give my Pokémon a rest and to get some sleep. I asked to have Fomantis, Masquerain, Geodude, and Fearow sent to me for later.

That evening, I started to explore the desolate town of Po Town. The town looks like it’s been deserted for quite some time, and graffiti covers nearly every surface. Even the Pokémon Center is abandoned; except for a pair of Team Skull grunts that allow people to use what’s left, for a small fee to cover their rent. I explored the whole town, and battled a bunch of Team Skull grunts (including one with an annoying Grimer who spammed Minimize and knocked out all six of my Pokémon because every attack missed). There’s only one place left to explore in Po Town, and that’s the giant mansion at the far end of town. I have some things to do today, so I decided to save that for tomorrow.

January 10, 2018

I’m almost done with the current rotation of Pokémon. But I still have so much more to go in my Alola journey! I can’t wait to finish up exploring Ula’ula Island, but… I wonder where the Kahuna is? I need to figure that out if I want to have my Grand Trial and earn another Z-Crystal! Just eight more to go, not including Pokémon-specific ones. I’m predicting the Ula’ula Grand Trial will be ground, poison, or maybe even dark-type.

I decided to do some more training along Route 17, and my Fomantis evolved into Lurantis! It feels like years since I had my trial where I fought that Totem Lurantis…

176. Lurantis

In the evening I rotated out my team for Goldeen, Haunter, Parasect, and Ariados. I want to stay around Route 17 for a while longer before finishing my exploration of Po Town.

January 11, 2018

The rainy weather and wild Graveler on Route 17 made conditions perfect for my Goldeen to evolve into Seaking!

177. Seaking

Then I took Porygon, Petilil, Pancham, and Raticate out, and my Pancham evolved into Pangoro!

178. Pangoro

Since I was on a good roll, I finished the Ula’ula training rotation with Goomy, Turtonator, Magneton, Cottonee, Gyarados, Golbat, and Mudsdale. And my Golbat evolved into Crobat!

“Crobat, the Bat Pokémon, and the evolved form of Golbat. A poison and flying-type. Crobat are silent and swift in their four-winged flight. Both their legs became wings, and as a result, they can’t move well on the ground. All they can do is crawl around. They bite down on their prey before they realize what’s happening. In a heartbeat, they drain their blood.”

179. Crobat

To finish things off, I found two more Zygarde cells outside the Shady House in Po Town (62% total).

January 12, 2018

As I sat in the Pokémon Center, I thought about how I wanted to proceed from here. I know I need to battle Team Skull to recover the Pokémon stolen from the Aether House. I also need to find out where they hold their Grand Trial on Ula’ula Island, not to mention find out who the Kahuna is! And, I have tons of Alola Pokémon to train and evolve.

Nurse Joy called me to the Pokémon Center counter and handed me my two Poké Balls, telling me that my Fomantis and Staryu are in excellent health. It’s time to start a large rotation of all my Pokémon, so to start, I had Dartrix, Torracat, Pikachu, and Munchlax sent to me.

January 13, 2018

I entered the Shady House in Po Town, which was very clearly Team Skulls main headquarters… er, hangout. I battled many grunts inside, and eventually found the room where Team Skull’s boss Guzma was. I told him I was here for the Yungoos, and he immediately challenged me to a battle! His line-up hadn’t changed from our battle in Malie Garden. He led off with his Golisopod, and I sent out my Fomantis. That was a bad move, and I made the same mistake as last time. I forgot about Golisopod’s First Impression, which slammed into Fomantis and sent it flying across the room. But my Pokémon hung on! It came back at Golisopod with a super effective Hidden Power, and was able to knock it out before it activated its Emergency Exit ability. With that out of the way, my Staryu was able to easily defeat Guzma’s Ariados with Shattered Psyche.

After being defeated, he had one of his grunts had over the Yungoos, and then he stormed out of the room, with a promise to “beat me down one of these days” as he put it. Before I left the room, I noticed a chest overflowing with Z-Crystals. They were all the same. I picked one up and Rotom identified it as Buginium Z! Another Z-Crystal to add to my collection. I’ll have to try it out with my Fomantis once it has recovered from its battle.

After leaving the Shady House, I was approached by the somber guy who greeted me when I first arrived in Po Town. He congratulated me on defeating Team Skull. Acerola showed up too, and referred to the man as “Uncle Nanu.” Despite his dismissal of Acerola’s cheerful comments, I get the feeling the two of them are fairly close. Nanu lives here in Po Town and watches over the Pokémon, keeping Team Skull in check. Acerola took the freed Yungoos, and said to meet her back at the Aether House.
      Ula'ula Pokédex: Obtained 93 Seen 101

Quick Reply