• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite main female companion

Who is your favorite main female companion in the anime?

• Misty (OS)

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • May (AG)

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Dawn (DP)

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Iris (BW)

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Serena (XY)

Votes: 22 22.9%
  • Lillie (SM)

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
Years
latest

and

tumblr_inline_o2wuieSJxl1tiaul6_500.gif

Hard to say if Misty or Dawn was "better" imo, as I kind of like them for different reasons. Both were very enjoyable on their own and less uber dependent on Ash to be the main focus and hero (from what I remember watching these seasons in the show, it's been a while).
Best comment i've read in a long while tbh.
You can be fan of them both at the same time something fanbase doesn't understand lol.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Best comment i've read in a long while tbh.
You can be fan of them both at the same time something fanbase doesn't understand lol.
ngl the fanbase does seem a bit polarized haha. But doesn't have to be like that :) The world isn't black and white.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
ngl the fanbase does seem a bit polarized haha. But doesn't have to be like that :) The world isn't black and white.

It all goes back to the way the show views these girls as disposable "eye candy." As long as they keep swapping them out every new saga, fans will only continue to fight over them and pit them against each other. :(

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
I've always been partial to Iris...basically just because I loved the fact that our main girl liked to spend her time roaming through the woods, flitted about the treetops with ease, got described as a "wild child" (not to mention mistaken for a Pokemon) and kept her Pokemon tucked inside her ridiculously long hair. ^_^ What can I say? I'm drawn to more eccentric characters...

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
I liked May the best until Serena happened. They're pretty even now, and maybe I like Serena's character more, but May has sentimental value because Hoenn kinda pulled me back into Pokemon some years ago.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
As I look at this, I'm almost tempted to request that this be expanded or changed to favorite female character. That way we could include characters like Macy, Angie, Anabel, Korrina and more. Heck include Professors like Burnet, Ivy and Juniper. Plus this poll leaves out Bonnie/Eureka and you'd be surprised how popular her character is.

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Dawn/Hikari. Her bond with Ash was special, also her girly and cheerful personality was super cute and awesome to me :D She's a strong female, too. Even though she love's contests and girly things, she's not afraid to fight when she needs to. She really was a great character IMO.

I'm happy to see she's the most popular in this poll, too! :D

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Dawn/Hikari. Her bond with Ash was special, also her girly and cheerful personality was super cute and awesome to me :D She's a strong female, too. Even though she love's contests and girly things, she's not afraid to fight when she needs to. She really was a great character IMO.

Back when I posted a long time ago, Serena had the lead. What surprises me is the sheer lack of support for May.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I think Dawn and Serena seem to equally be viewed as the best female companion, which fits since both XY and DP are praised a lot for their more serious tone, and the development both girls went through.

Yeah but my point about May still stands. Misty's support is understandable due to her being the first one. Yet Iris(a companion many fans didn't like, although I attribute that to the writers not giving her character the proper respect or attention she deserved) and Lillie(a Female protagonist in a series that will go down as the worst one to date) have more support than May. That to me is what confounds me.

Cariad

world.search(you);
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 25, 2023
equally misty and dawn! i grew up with may as the main pokegirl but i never really saw much of myself in her or felt she was the kind of person i looked up to, whereas i saw myself in misty a lot and felt dawn was an interesting and unique character especially after her massive character development. recently i also think serena is cute, but i haven't watched any of the XY series so that's just from secondhand knowledge.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Misty/Kasumi, the first ever pokemon loli (no, i'm not talking about the cut, (+18 ) )

Also Dawn for her polish Minnie mouse voice in the polish version (and for having Mamoswine) and Serena for having an Eeveelution

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Nov 2, 2022
May is my favorite due to her character growth as a big sister, friend, teenage girl crushing on a boy, contest coordinator, and trainer. If contests were in XY with that artwork, contests could have been super awesome and I'd like to see that over the beauty pageant contests that Serena was in... (and she had an Eevee / Glaceon). I enjoyed some characters in DP and XY, but I miss contests. Dawn was too confused all the time and Serena was crushing on Ash too much to get better as a character. Sun and Moon artwork is odd and it doesn't feel like the characters have clear goals, which May, Brock, and Ash did. I would not mind Serena in contests, but I don't know if they would bring her or contests back.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 19, 2018
I voted Dawn.
She is the only Pokemon character other then Ash to have the role of co star.

She was such a great battler and always showed great determination

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Awww, I really like May, too. She's nostalgic of my Pokemon watching days around 2004 for me X3; She's also funny and sweetly attractive looking.

Eh, suit yourself. Unfortunately, I'm not at all fond of those two. They reminded me too much of the Fiorello Fangirls from the Pok?mon episode Princess vs. Princess, and the Love Hina girls, not to mention, which I have been taught to at the very least dislike, if not hate (heck, the Fiorello Fangirls and Love Hina in particular are the reason I gave the Female Anime Stereotype the name "Hina stereotype", Love Hina's pretty obvious, but the Fiorello Fangirls' ties dealt with the fact that the setting of the episode was called O-Hina Town in the Japanese version.). I also wasn't fond of the whole overpromotion of Pok?mon Contests (especially when they were little more than side-quests in the games. I mean, what, should we make Secret Bases an actual goal as well?). And as far as May, I really am not fond of the fact that she went on a Pok?mon journey when she outright hated Pok?mon. Here's my view: Regardless if you're girly or a tomboy, if you dislike or hate Pok?mon, DON'T go on a Pok?mon journey. It's that simple. Doesn't help that she is the daughter of a Gym Leader, meaning she most likely would have spent her entire LIFE up to that point being exposed to Pok?mon constantly, and thus she has absolutely NO reason to dislike or hate Pok?mon in the first place (not to mention, Misty and Brock, heck, Jessie and James even, had pretty bad family relationships, and none of them hated Pok?mon as a result. Heck, Jessie and James are especially notable since they're members of an organization that has no qualms with outright murdering Pok?mon to satisfy their goals.). And then there's the fact that May just let what amounted to her own son be abducted by a psychotic pirate in the climax and stood there like a dang coward in what was supposed to be HER movie, thus resulting in Ash having to save the day yet again. And Dawn... look, I was never a big fan of girls basically obsessing over the mirror (heck, anyone of any gender for that matter), so I was not fond of seeing her do that. Another thing I dislike about them is that they were oversexualized, especially for them being 10 year olds (which Masamitsu indicated was very much deliberate). If they were 16, or 18, heck, 20 even, while I wouldn't necessarily like them being subject to sexual fanservice, I'd at least be a bit more tolerant since at least they are, if not actually of the age of consent, then pretty dang close to it, and certainly aren't explicitly prepubescent children). Probably another thing I dislike is that they literally had no reason to join up with Ash, especially when they were doing fine enough on their own. Misty, Iris, heck, even Serena at least actually HAD a reason to join up with Ash (and I'm not even fond of Serena either). I suppose I could respect Dawn for being able to fight if she has to, though.

Don't get me wrong, I have little problem with girly girl characters as long as they're done right (I liked Ariel from The Little Mermaid and in Return to the Sea, and while I'm not too fond of the triplets from Beauty and the Beast, I actually am aloof to them right now, and in fact trust them far more than Belle right now. Heck, I don't even mind Princess Peach from the Mario games. Heck, Misty had plenty of girly moments as well. In fact, Princess vs. Princess, the episode where Misty earned my immense loyalty, literally had her participating in a very girly holiday.), but when they enter territory of them being outright fetishized and go beyond merely girly and come across as being... pardon the bluntness but... bimbos, I am not fond of that at all. And unfortunately, May and Dawn come far too close to that than simply being girly from what I can tell. But, hey, that's just what I think. Won't force you to adopt my line of thinking if you don't want it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Dawn, great development, I really liked her personality and her bond with Ash.

And she is the only character to get the role of co star along with Ash.

You know, I always get deeply irritated when people claim that Dawn's the only one who got "co-star status" with Ash. ALL the characters were co-stars (yes, even Brock)! Do I really have to remind you that several of the episodes, as early back as Kanto as a matter of fact, literally open up with the narrator specifically referring to the main characters as, and I quote, "our heroes"? Such a description would not make sense if Ash had no "co-star" besides Dawn, as the term heroes, aside from it meaning people who are aligned with good, is also a term that refers to the actual stars of the series, the characters who receive the most focus, in other words. If they really wanted to emphasize that there were no co-stars until DP, they would have specifically worded them as "our hero and his sidekicks", specifically to make clear they aren't actually co-stars, or even the main characters at all. Words have meaning, after all. Besides, a lot of the main characters got openings and endings to themselves, even Misty got one (if I remember correctly, it's the one with the characters being on a Lapras).

Back