Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Old July 8th, 2018 (12:44 PM).
In too deep inside these streets aligned.

Nature: Lonely
What do you think constitutes as a "filler episode" in the Pokemon anime?
Old July 8th, 2018 (1:15 PM). Edited July 8th, 2018 by Enpatsu Shakugan.
Banned

Nature: Hasty
You can't use the term 'filler' when it comes to the Pokemon anime, because a show needs a plot first to *have* filler.

Apparently the whole point of the show is just to waste time and dick around, so thus none of the show would really count as filler.
I feel if counted the opposite way, the show would be literally 95% filler, as the tournament episodes are so few and far between and characterization is virtually nonexistent.
Old July 8th, 2018 (2:50 PM).
Mon Amour

Nature: Quiet
    Episodes which have nothing to do with the main story, I guess. Like episodes which dont include progression of Ash towards the league, you know. Episodes that dont include meeting a new pokemon, evolution, special training, etc.

Or atleast in my opinion that's what filler is.
    Old July 8th, 2018 (3:20 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Sloxy View Post
      Episodes which have nothing to do with the main story, I guess. Like episodes which dont include progression of Ash towards the league, you know. Episodes that dont include meeting a new pokemon, evolution, special training, etc.

Or atleast in my opinion that's what filler is.
      Don't forget episodes that deal with character development in some way, like them learning a valuable lesson or delving into a main character's backstory in any way. Oh, and releases as well.
      Old July 8th, 2018 (4:40 PM). Edited July 8th, 2018 by CodeHelmet.
      Just your average Spaceball

Nature: Relaxed
        To me a filler episode was any episode in which there wasn’t any of the following:

1) Gym Battle, Pokemon League Battle, Tournament battle(this applies mostly to Unova with the various Tournaments), Pokemon Contest or Pokemon Showcase
        2) Capture of a Pokemon or addition of a Pokemon via Egg or Trade for a Protagonist. Also applies to releases(those were rare though).
        3) Evolution of a Pokemon for any Protagonist

If it doesn’t meet any of those 3 conditions, it’s filler in my book. An example are all of the “Pokemon of the Day” Episodes. Granted, some “Filler” Episodes were still worthwhile to watch.

Want to raise Pokemon? Check out VPP
        Old July 8th, 2018 (5:55 PM).

There is none in Pokemon. This isn't a battle shonen.

There is no overarching story in this anime, it's an episodic kodomo (children's) anime like Doraemon and Hamtaro.
          Old July 8th, 2018 (9:09 PM).
          In too deep inside these streets aligned.

Nature: Lonely
          To me, a filler episode is any episode where:

-There's no important things happening: ie, a gym battle, tournament, Pokemon league, Pokemon evolving, Pokemon being released, Pokemon learning a new move, some sort of character development, etc.

So, for example, the episode "You See We Want an Evolution," where none of such occur, I consider to be a filler episode.

Also, I'm fully aware that Pokemon isn't a battle shounen....
          Old July 8th, 2018 (9:18 PM).
          Banned

Nature: Hasty
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Palamon View Post
          To me, a filler episode is any episode where:

-There's no important things happening: ie, a gym battle, tournament, Pokemon league, Pokemon evolving, Pokemon being released, Pokemon learning a new move, some sort of character development, etc.

So, for example, the episode "You See We Want an Evolution," where none of such occur, I consider to be a filler episode.

Also, I'm fully aware that Pokemon isn't a battle shounen....
          Not sure what point he was even making. Filler isn't exclusive to shonen.
          Old July 9th, 2018 (11:29 AM). Edited July 9th, 2018 by weedle_mchairybug.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by CodeHelmet View Post
            To me a filler episode was any episode in which there wasn’t any of the following:

1) Gym Battle, Pokemon League Battle, Tournament battle(this applies mostly to Unova with the various Tournaments), Pokemon Contest or Pokemon Showcase
            2) Capture of a Pokemon or addition of a Pokemon via Egg or Trade for a Protagonist. Also applies to releases(those were rare though).
            3) Evolution of a Pokemon for any Protagonist

If it doesn’t meet any of those 3 conditions, it’s filler in my book. An example are all of the “Pokemon of the Day” Episodes. Granted, some “Filler” Episodes were still worthwhile to watch.
            Wouldn't character development, of any sort, technically be of some importance, at least enough to not qualify as filler? After all, technically, under that definition, "Holy Matrimony" qualifies as Filler precisely because it doesn't match any of those three conditions, despite the fact that the episode revealed James' backstory.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Rad Dudesman View Post
            There is none in Pokemon. This isn't a battle shonen.

There is no overarching story in this anime, it's an episodic kodomo (children's) anime like Doraemon and Hamtaro.
            Eh, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Pokémon's entire premise dealt with a kid trying to become stronger and having the explicit goal of becoming the world's greatest Pokémon Master, which, in past seasons anyways, involved outright winning at least one league by beating out other trainers and Gym Leaders in combat (of course, why the writers don't count the Orange Islands as a league, I do not know). That sounds like a battle shonen anime a'la Dragon Ball to me (besides, I don't think using 10 year old girls, girls who are prepubescent in other words, is even remotely appropriate for the Kodomo series' target age). Probably the only real difference between Pokémon and Dragon Ball is that the latter was taken from a manga, so there's a bit more strict of a definition of what qualifies as filler (namely, anything that isn't in the manga originally but added to the anime to give "padding"), while in Pokémon, there's more of a looser definition due to being an adaptation of the games, which, given the nature of them and having very loose plots, there's a fairly looser definition of filler there (personally, I'd consider AG to be nothing but filler, especially when there's no increase in Ash's rank, May gets replaced with Dawn only for her to do the same goal as her, and even the one major accomplishment Ash had in AG, winning the Battle Frontier, ended up being treated like a joke when Gary beat Ash despite not only Pikachu beating Regice effortlessly earlier, but also Gary being retired from training).
            Old July 9th, 2018 (11:34 AM).
            Just your average Spaceball

Nature: Relaxed
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
              Wouldn't character development technically be of some importance?
              You’d be correct, hence the comment that some “filler” were still worthwhile to watch. I just happen to weigh those 3 things above everything else and even then, character development doesn’t matter all too much when there’s very little, if any, plot to begin with.
              Old July 9th, 2018 (11:44 AM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by CodeHelmet View Post
                You’d be correct, hence the comment that some “filler” were still worthwhile to watch. I just happen to weigh those 3 things above everything else and even then, character development doesn’t matter all too much when there’s very little, if any, plot to begin with.
                I'm pretty sure the premise of Ash fighting to become a Pokémon Master and advancing (or decreasing, in one case) in rank would technically count as plot. Granted, there's no tight plot around it, but still...
                Old July 9th, 2018 (3:41 PM).
                Mon Amour

Nature: Quiet
                  Could the movies also technically count as fillers?
                  Old July 9th, 2018 (4:37 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Sloxy View Post
                    Could the movies also technically count as fillers?
                    That's in the gray area, depending on the context. If they have an explicit reference to a movie in the anime (eg, Ash and to a certain extent James directly referencing Manaphy and/or Lugia from their respective movies in certain episodes), or otherwise have something that can only have appeared in a movie and it plays a key role in at least the episode (eg, Dawn using the Lunar Wing she got from the events of Movie 10 to stop Darkrai in one episode), or directly foreshadowed the movie in certain episodes (showing Mewtwo in certain episodes leading up to the first movie, as well as some elements in the leadup to Movie 10-12) or in the case of Drew, a major character hails from a movie location, or even being part of a series of movies where at least one of them was referenced in one way [eg, the Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Arceus trilogy movies] it's not actual filler by definition. Otherwise, it could qualify as filler if there's nothing contradicting it or showing it happened either. And then we get into stuff like Movie 20 and 21 where they are clearly non-canon to the anime (manga tie-ins aside), as well as very ambiguously canon movies like Movie 14 (which as you know is a two-for-one feature, a choose your own adventure set of movies if you will).

Quick Reply