• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The Music.

Best OST?

• Gen 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gen 2

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Gen 3

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Gen 4

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Gen 5

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Gen 6

• Gen 7

• Total voters

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
Years
I'm here to reminisce about the music of the third generation of Pokémon and answer why it is my favorite in the series. If you're going to read all of this, I hope it changes your mind on what generation has the best OST. I'll also include the Gen 1 Remakes, but I will not include the scrapped/unused music of Gen 3.

If you were in my perspective, you would reminisce the heck out of it and play it everytime. (Like seriously, Littleroot/Pallet Town is my alarm and I love it). But, if you were in the perspective of a normal player playing through the game, either: 1) You would care but not like the music. 2) You would care and like the music. 3) You wouldn't care at all since you just want to have a good time. Because of it, we have arguments/debates that's been going for years. It also sparked a few questions that I'm going to answer.

1) Why the trumpets?
There is also French horns, not just trumpets. Other Gen also base their music to one style. Gen 1
and 2 has 8-bit, Gen 4, in my opinion, has jazz, Gen 5 has a very electric OST, and Gen 6
has some guitars and very 'Euro'.

2) Why is it (the OST) overrated?
What the h e c c ? Can't we all just agree that there are no overrated Generation of
Pokémon because, as I said, each generation has their own style (except Gen 1 and Gen 2, but you
get the point right? Hopefully.)

3) Last but not the least, do I like it because of the nostalgia?
To be c o m p l e t e l y honest with you, n o . I love it for its relaxing vibe
and some of the songs in the OST is epic (especially FireRed/LeafGreen's Trainer and Champion
music which is my most favorite of all time). But then again, people have different tastes.

In conclusion, generation 3's OST is, in my opinion, amazing and will always be amazing. Nuff said.

Last edited:
Years
I think gen 3 has the best music for me, yes there are other gen that has great music too like gen 1, 2 and 4, but i think gen 3's music is just so great.

Years
I personally prefer the 4th gen music. My main issue with gen 3 is the MIDI instruments they used... I like the Hoenn remake music, but in gen 3 it just doesn't sound right to me.

Now, gen 4. Route themes, Town themes, Cynthia theme, I could go on, but it's just so great, and frankly, I can't wait to hear the music from the inevitable Gen 4 remakes.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Gen 5's music, no doubt, had the coolest soundfont, and the music itself was kickass. Gen 3 also had some great, nostalgic music, and, to an extent, Gen 6. Gens 2, 4, and 7 also have some decent music, but I don't really care as much about them as I do the other three gens mentioned earlier.

Gen 1's music was OK.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
My fellows, it's not "generations" the ones we should
type about : there's the remakes' rearrangements,
there's the animé, and there's the often forgotten
side-games, and wherever you look you'll find something
worthy of contemplation.
As for the soundfonts(and VSTi), I don't think there's
a set better than others either : an instrument from
a certain game can and will go along nicely with one from an other. Many people also enjoy to rearrange OSTs with soundfonts from other games,
a thing I also did myself.
In synthesis : it's all good.
Of course, I have to admit a few things :
-Not quite into 4 and 8 bit music
-PMD:R&B RTs have just too many saws, which are also fairly recurrent
-As you might have assumed, accordingly to my timpani ear drums, orchestra>synths
-Because I started on Sapphire, I developed a bias for the Kalosian horns and the stereotypical trumpets. I had this silly idea of combining every
single trumpet heard in pokémon games(cores and sides) into a section, or have each panned to shape
a "timeline"(from the early n64 ones to the 7th gen
ones), but I doubt that will ever happen : nobody has ripped sfs from n64 pokémon games, and I still have to figure how to do that, nobody seems to know how to rip Colosseum soundfonts, and the
VSTi of GTI, PSMD and a few other modern side-games
are unknown and I doubt anyone will bother figuring which they are.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Hoenn's music was the best, most certainly. it had a really good choice of instruments & soundfront which I really enjoyed.

Gen 4 had good music, but not as good as gen 3 before it.... Gen 5 had good music, too but some of it is....eh to me. I also don't really care for gen six or seven's music, won't lie. Also gens 1 & 2 have great music but it's....repetitive, you know?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
My loyalties are all over the place. Case in point:

Wild Pokemon Encounter: Kanto and to be frank the Anime did a superb job at it
Gym Leader: Debatable but I have to go with Kanto again(where Anime outdid itself)
Trainer Battle: Got to give Kalos props on this one as I find its variant to be my favorite
Elite Four: I'll give Alola some love on this one(and Acerola is best LOLI!)
Champion Theme: As I said elsewhere, I'm partial to Iris and Unova
Routes: Difficult choice but Sinnoh is actually pretty good
Evil Faction: Ugh... seems every region is a gauntlet but I'll give Hoenn some love here

All in all, I don't really show particular favor to any one region.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
The soundtracks in Gen 3 and Gen 4 are my favourites, although Gen 3 just edges it for me. All Gens have several decent soundtracks.

Back