• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PoryMap | Map Editor for the Disassembly and Decompilation Projects

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
-Small Introduction-
PoryMap is the first and only usable map editor that is compatible with the disassembly and decompilation projects of the GBA Pokémon Games, Pokeruby and Pokeemerald.
If you don't know what am I talking about, please click here.

-Pictures-
Spoiler:

-Links-
Pre-Compiled Build: https://github.com/huderlem/porymap/releases
Source Code: https://github.com/huderlem/porymap

There are pre-compiled builds for Windows and MacOS. Linux users are expected to compile the source code by themselves.

-Credits-
Padz created PoryMap and ShantyTown/Yenatch is the one who's currently developing it.
All the credits are absolutely theirs.

And that's it.​

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Nice. I didn't realize Advanced map wasn't compatible with the github projects. I like a lot of your tutorials and applications. Keep 'em coming!

I also noticed platinum is on github. Do you know how functional it is? I'd like to rewrite the EXP/Level up formula for that game, which I saw was easily doable.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Nice. I didn't realize Advanced map wasn't compatible with the github projects. I like a lot of your tutorials and applications. Keep 'em coming!

I also noticed platinum is on github. Do you know how functional it is? I'd like to rewrite the EXP/Level up formula for that game, which I saw was easily doable.
PokePlat isn't related to Pret and the rest of Disassembly or Disassembly and Decompilation Projects. This is what Jim told me some days ago when I asked him about it:
di99qFx.png

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
I wanted to bump this so easily forgotten thread to tell y'all that I just compiled the latest commit, so yeah, new build.
It's in the main post.

Years
I tried playing around with it the last hour or so but the maps aren't loading. It has to be an error or misunderstanding on my part. I have Pretmap open, but when I select pokeruby-master, nothing happens and nothing loads. I even go into the file structure and select data > maps but still nothing.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
I tried playing around with it the last hour or so but the maps aren't loading. It has to be an error or misunderstanding on my part. I have Pretmap open, but when I select pokeruby-master, nothing happens and nothing loads. I even go into the file structure and select data > maps but still nothing.
Maybe you're trying to open the Raw Directory, which would be a mistake.
You have to compile a ROM with Pokeruby first, and then load Pokeruby's folder with PretMap.

ON: Surprising that I'm here, I know. I mean, I updated this just like 2 days ago.
But you know, guys? This'll be worth it.
I updated the build in the main post again, because PretMap is now compatible with Pokeemerald!
All right, that's pretty much it. Enjoy. Bye.

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Here's the latest version of pretmap, this time it comes from ShantyTown himself.

Changelog:
-Add ability to right-click+Drag to copy chunks of tiles directly from the map
-Use palette 12 when displaying secondary tileset metatiles
-Fix bug where undo/redo didn't update the collision attributes view

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/417wmi1dir1u2gg/pretmap-1.0.2.zip

Years
You think you could update the first post Lunos?

Right now it says:
Right now, it is only compatible with Pokeruby but sooner than later it'll also be compatible with Pokeemerald too, I'm sure.

And we know that it is no longer the case. :D

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 4, 2019
I take it there isn't a way to edit blocks in this? (like with A-Map).

if there isn't, how would one do that?

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 4, 2019
untitled_by_lilbluedemon-dchhjjk.png

No, I mean how to actually change how these tiles look?

untitled2_by_lilbluedemon-dchhjov.png

In Advance-Map there's an editor to do so.
You pick some tiles, and assemble them into a block.
Blocks are then used to build the maps.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
untitled_by_lilbluedemon-dchhjjk.png

No, I mean how to actually change how these tiles look?

untitled2_by_lilbluedemon-dchhjov.png

In Advance-Map there's an editor to do so.
You pick some tiles, and assemble them into a block.
Blocks are then used to build the maps.
Sorry, I don't know why I immediately thought about the Block Borders, hahaha.
It looks like PretMap doesn't have a Block Editor yet. Maybe you could suggest it on the GitHub Repo's "Issues" Section and it'll get implemented :)

ON: New build, it comes from ShantyTown again.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zxcj87xv30aojzw/pretmap-windows-1.0.3.zip
Just like before, you can check the PRs Section in PretMap's GitHub Repo to see the latest changes or additions.

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
It's really awesome that we've got a map editor now that works just like a development environment!

Now that we've got PoryMap, PretMap and other tools that run with disassembly projects on GBA and GBC, it's only a matter of time before Pokémon B/W/B2/W2 (and the Gen IV games too) become so much more documented that disassembly projects will proceed on with the DS titles.

For Nintendo DS and 3DS, it'll be more longer, take more time, but more organised, since the ROMs can be unpacked, and most files can be reconverted back into their source format (eg. SSEQ into .midi) and so fourth. So for DS games, it won't be harder, it'll just be more time consuming, due to the amount of files needed to disassemble. And when a map editing tool for those games gets made, it's likely to work with both disassembled and compiled binaries, due to the ROMs being in a file system-like structure.

It's really great how far we've all come to this, and I'm really looking forward to more disassembly projects and map editors like this one being made, it makes ROM Hacking development a whole lot easier. Best of luck! I'll also do everything I can to document as many findings as possible in newer games.

Last edited:

Delta231

A noob
Years
It's really awesome that we've got a map editor now that works just like a development environment!

Now that we've got PoryMap, PretMap and other tools that run with disassembly projects on GBA and GBC, it's only a matter of time before Pokémon B/W/B2/W2 (and the Gen IV games too) become so much more documented that disassembly projects will proceed on with the DS titles.

For Nintendo DS and 3DS, it'll be more longer, take more time, but more organised, since the ROMs can be unpacked, and most files can be reconverted back into their source format (eg. SSEQ into .midi) and so fourth. So for DS games, it won't be harder, it'll just be more time consuming, due to the amount of files needed to disassemble. And when a map editing tool for those games gets made, it's likely to work with both disassembled and compiled binaries, due to the ROMs being in a file system-like structure.

It's really great how far we've all come to this, and I'm really looking forward to more disassembly projects and map editors like this one being made, it makes ROM Hacking development a whole lot easier. Best of luck! I'll also do everything I can to document as many findings as possible in newer games.

Actualy Pretmap is now Porymap due to change in ownership.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
v1.2.0 was released just now and it's a mandatory update, as the data of the maps in Pokeruby/Pokeemerald are now represented as .JSON files.

Also, don't forget that you can always find the latest download in the Releases section of PoryMap's Repository, linked in the main post :)

Back