• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Blood and Tears - Complete Nuzlocke

derrekbertrand

PKMN Haxxor
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 19, 2017
Firstly, hi. I'm new here.

I've searched far and wide on the googles, the yahoos, and the bings. I've skimmed this site. I've asked friends. Yet, I've never seen a 100% complete Nuzlocke hack. So as a belated 20th birthday present to one of my favorite franchises, I made one.

Now I know! There are some "Nuzlocke" hacks that go part-way. This is not those. This is complete with all 3 rules of Nuzlocke forced upon you, because if you're like me, you have the self control of a 4 year old.

1. Nicknames This is forced upon you; you must nickname things.
  2. Faint = Death This is what most people mean when they say they have made a Nuzlocke hack. If you TKO, the game resets, and you can load your last save. Save often!
  3. Catch the First or Nothing This was the biggest ... to code. I have a whitelist of 48 maps and map groups that are subject to these rules. Pokemon not caught via balls are not screened for. Didn't figure most people would care. I was even nice enough to wait until you can buy pokeballs to start blacklisting maps, so you can even catch things on route 1!

This video goes into further detail and has a demo. This video contains mild swearing; NSFW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccaqv0uyCmE

IPS patches for Red and Blue
http://derrekbertrand.com/files/blood_tears_01.zip

Last edited:

derrekbertrand

PKMN Haxxor
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 19, 2017
I just want to point out that Nickname rule IS NOT one of the main rules, created by Nuzlocke.
It's very common, but it's not required rule.

It only took an hour to do that part, and I much prefer that rule added.

derrekbertrand

PKMN Haxxor
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 19, 2017
Given my current schedule, it might take me a while, but I believe yes. All the data I need should be sitting in RAM already. I'd just check the Pokedex data to see if you have ever had that one before.

Years
Wait what about dupes clause? Or did you give new mons to each area? Because if you find a pidgey on first route and your first encounter on the second route is also a pidgey and you don't want to catch it do you get a new enounter or not? Just curious- I will defenitely play this hack once it's completed because it sounds really interesting :3

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
Hey, just testing the game and I noticed that on Route 2 (the patch of grass between the Viridian Forest and Pewter City), you are locked out of catching your first encounter. It's a small bug (no pun intended), but I could use a Pidgey right now.

someguy.fromnevada

I don't know anymore...
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 17, 2016
So, I'm completely re-editing my post and going to use this as a UPDATE post in regards to how it works and what it can be used with, as well as bugs I've encountered and so forth. This is by far one of the most intriguing hacks and I intend on seeing that it becomes popular, since after all, what is a Nuzlocke if the people doing it have the option to break the rules? Well, with this... I don't see that happening anymore.

UPDATE 1: This works with the Blue Kaizo patch as well, in order to do both at once, patch Pokemon Blue (UE/U) with Blue Kaizo, then patch Blue Kaizo with Pokemon Blood and Tears [Blue Version]. If you patch it with Blood and Tears first, then Blue Kaizo, it'll only go to the white loading screen and freeze there.

Spoiler:

UPDATE 2: Works just fine with a randomized Blue/Red ROM, haven't noticed any problems besides those which have already been mentioned above. Even with items randomized, all REVIVE and so forth are still missing as required. Must be applied to an already randomized ROM, not randomizing a ROM patched with this.

UPDATE 3: This breaks the Mew Glitch, so catching all Mew isn't possible without a ROM hack if you use this or if you have somehow avoided all Pokemon encounters in the area next to Nugget Bridge.

UPDATE 4: This breaks capturing static Pokemon, such as Mewtwo, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. Interestingly enough, it doesn't always break capturing them, but can do so. Also breaks capturing Voltorb in Power Plant, as only one can be caught and capturing one would prevent capturing any others as well as preventing the capture of Zapdos.

All and all, this is an amazing hack/patch and I hope to see this expand out into other Pokemon games, such as Gold/Silver/Crystal, FireRed/LeafGreen, and Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. I can only imagine how many downloads this will get when people can then combine this patch/hack with other patches and hacks.

Last edited:

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
I tested this game and managed to finish it, and I'm impressed with how it turned out. I had seven deaths in total so I had an incredible amount of grinding to do, especially later in the game when I had to level up a replacement to Lv.50 to match the rest of my team.

By grinding my team to Lv.65, I was able to sweep the Elite Four and Champion without any deaths. This was a whole lot of fun.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Nice work! Very thorough, good attention to details like waiting until you can get Poké Balls. Funny video too. You're the inspiration for my own Nuzlocke mode in Polished Crystal.

sykotiksonik

Amateur YouTuber/Pokémon Master
Years
Very interested in this! With your permission, I'd like to play this on my Youtube channel as a playthrough! I'll play it regardless, however!

derrekbertrand

PKMN Haxxor
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 19, 2017
I didn't realize that people had continued to find and play this. {XD} I guess if people are actually going to play it, I'll compile a newer version with some bug fixes.

@sykotiksonik - Please do. Just keep in mind there are some bugs, which I'll look into fixing. (SEE BELOW)

@CelticsPhan - I'm glad you played it all the way through! Nothing is harder than losing a major part of your team! I lost a level 45 Haunter and about cried! See below about Route 2.

@someguy.fromnevada - Thank you for testing this! I'll keep compatibility in mind in the future! See below about the static pokemon issue.

@Del - Are all my views from you?

KNOWN ISSUES - FEB 2017
Spoiler:

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Oh god i hate Nuzlocks, but maybe someone will love this hack

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 23, 2020
hello I'm new to ROMs and nuzlockes in general, how would i be able to play this because every time i try and load it up it says it isn't in the right format

Back