• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Audio] Showing off some Sappy skills(anyone can flex here too)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 8, 2018
I did import the instruments, it's kind of a hard process though, but to sum it up

Make a wav sample with low size (no more than 30kb or something, 10 is fine)
then you need to convert the kb size to bytes, which if it was 10kb it'd be 10000 bytes (kb to b is kb*1000) (add more just to be sure, maybe 20000), use Freespace finder on your rom to find free space of 20000 bytes, then go into sappy, then go into Tasks > Import Sample. Load the wav sample, copy the freespace address from FSF (for example 1AFDCD), and put the address you got, with a 0x at the beginning, example : 0x148595. Then set the loop if needed, and import. To actually play the sample, edit a instrument to be Direct Sound, then set the 0xXXXXXX address to be from the sample you just imported, once that's done, It should play. Make sure to backup ROM!

Edit : There are more steps to adding samples though, like tuning it, lowering the sample rate (8000 for example). But these are just the basics to inserting it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 8, 2018
"a minute-long song" You mean you're trying to insert a wav of a full song? That's a bad idea. It's only meant to be used for small instrument files (mostly lasting 2-4 seconds)

SlowbroMusicyo

Kumquat
Years
I did import the instruments, it's kind of a hard process though, but to sum it up

Make a wav sample with low size (no more than 30kb or something, 10 is fine)
then you need to convert the kb size to bytes, which if it was 10kb it'd be 10000 bytes (kb to b is kb*1000) (add more just to be sure, maybe 20000), use Freespace finder on your rom to find free space of 20000 bytes, then go into sappy, then go into Tasks > Import Sample. Load the wav sample, copy the freespace address from FSF (for example 1AFDCD), and put the address you got, with a 0x at the beginning, example : 0x148595. Then set the loop if needed, and import. To actually play the sample, edit a instrument to be Direct Sound, then set the 0xXXXXXX address to be from the sample you just imported, once that's done, It should play. Make sure to backup ROM!

Edit : There are more steps to adding samples though, like tuning it, lowering the sample rate (8000 for example). But these are just the basics to inserting it.
Thanks man, I have a problem when it comes to frequency and loop points, after following a tutorial that required a frequency calculator by ipatix

SlowbroMusicyo

Kumquat
Years
"a minute-long song" You mean you're trying to insert a wav of a full song? That's a bad idea. It's only meant to be used for small instrument files (mostly lasting 2-4 seconds)

I noticed that games like super Mario advances which works in sappy uses 1 instrument when using voices so I'm pretty sure it's possible if you let it play long enough insert it in a lot of space

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 8, 2018
I should mention that for getting the frequency of stuff and sample rate I use openMPT (music composing tool) to tune the samples. And edit midis. It's a lot of work, but it works for tuning samples and replacing instruments, it's totally optional but it's the procedure I do.

Also expand your rom to 32MB to make more music, It's what i did.

Last edited:

SlowbroMusicyo

Kumquat
Years
I should mention that for getting the frequency of stuff and sample rate I use openMPT (music composing tool) to tune the samples. And edit midis. It's a lot of work, but it works for tuning samples and replacing instruments, it's totally optional but it's the procedure I do.

Also expand your rom to 32MB to make more music, It's what i did.

Thanks, but I''m talking about this screen

As in the ones labeled 3 and 5

Attachments

• is1.png
    is1.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 8, 2018
For the loop thing, I use openMPT, i just look at the "Start" and "End" of the sample, then copy the Start of the loop to the part labelled 5 (which is loop), Frequency can also be done with openMPT, as it lets you tune sample to notes (C-5, G-3 for example), Just save the wav after doing it. That's how I do it. It's not that hard, but if you don't like installing extra programs, you might need to try freq/sample rate settings yourself and fiddle with them till you get a good freq/sample rate

also i've been making more stuff

Last edited:

SlowbroMusicyo

Kumquat
Years
For the loop thing, I use openMPT, i just look at the "Start" and "End" of the sample, then copy the Start of the loop to the part labelled 5 (which is loop), Frequency can also be done with openMPT, as it lets you tune sample to notes (C-5, G-3 for example), Just save the wav after doing it. That's how I do it. It's not that hard, but if you don't like installing extra programs, you might need to try freq/sample rate settings yourself and fiddle with them till you get a good freq/sample rate

also i've been making more stuff

Thank you! I'll try doing that soon

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Man this is so sick, would love to see something with Cynthia's battle theme or the generic Pokemon Colosseum battle music in RSE.

Last edited:

RoadToCerulean

A Ordinary Kanto Lover
Years
I've made a lot of custom music via Anvil Studio, Sappy and Notepad++. All my songs are extended to 12 minutes except for extremely short ones and non-looping ones.

Tips:
Spoiler:

Here's my list (Most recent update: 08/13/2020):
Spoiler:

Last edited:

SlowbroMusicyo

Kumquat
Years
I've made a lot of custom music (mainly Kanto, Johto and Hoenn) via Anvil Studio, Sappy and Notpad++. All my songs are extended to 12 minutes if you enjoy listening to them.

Tips:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 4, 2019
Wow, that one is sounding so cool!

You've definitely improved over the last month or so of this post, it's so nice to see~

RoadToCerulean

A Ordinary Kanto Lover
Years
Thanks for the tips, and those are some impressive songs you got there. In my opinion my biggest problem is modulation, even observing the original game files and everything doesn't help too much. :(

Please delete the "list" portion in your quote of me because I have replaced the videos in them all. Also, too many videos may make the loading of the page slow.

I finally made something worthwhile and small
I've also added Route 26 themes to my list. I think orchestrated remixes sound better. You can compare yours with mine.

Back