• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Day Twelve] - Happy Anniversary, Pokemon Yellow!

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
30C3E2s.jpg

It's the Anniversary of Pokemon Yellow today, as this day marks the first time it's been released outside Japan!

Much like in other Generation I games, players start their journey across Kanto from their hometown, Pallet Town, eventually defeating the eight Gym Leaders and the Elite Four. Unlike other games, the player starts off with a Pikachu and the rival with an Eevee.

Pikachu also walks behind you, as long as it's in your party. You can check how it feels about you by talking to it. In that regard, have you guys ever played Pokemon Yellow? How easy or hard did you think Pokemon Yellow was, compared to Red and Blue? What did you think of it in general? What were your favorite memories of the game?​

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Yellow was my first Pokemon game, and to think that it's been two decades since then.....

man I'm old

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
Years
I never actually played thru it. My older brother did, but it.didn't work gud by the time it fell to my hands. My sister has it on VC, so I did start up a run. it just... it is the same as B\R in nearly everthing...

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I know I had the game when it first come out along with the guide book to beat it easier...lol. I also downloaded it again on my 3DS when we could. I loved Yellow and the fact that Pikachu could walk behind you. I wish they would have kept with that for the rest of the games.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Yellow version is indeed different than Red/Blue. Whether its harder is up to interpretation. I will say that Gym Leaders in Yellow have far tougher teams. Lt.Surge has a level 28 Raichu with Mega Punch and Mega Kick so a Ground Type Pokemon can't avoid all of its attacks like in Red/Blue while Erika's Grass Pokemon are much higher in level(30 Tangela, 32 Weepinbell, 32 Gloom compared to 24/29/29 and fully evolved too). The real difference is from Koga onward. Koga has his entire team replaced with Venonats and a Venomoth as opposed to Grimer/Koffing line. This makes him more vulnerable to Fire moves being that he has Bug Pokemon while countering anyone who might think Bulbasaur or a Poison Type is worth using because each of his Pokemon knows Toxic and Psychic. To make matters worse, Koga's Ace is level 43 in Red/Blue while in Yellow, his first Pokemon starts at level 44, hence there's a huge jump from Erika to him. Sabrina's line is also redone at are all at level 50 too(again a huge jump in level). However, Sabrina's Abra is shall we say a convenient exploit in that it only knows Flash and Teleport. Therefore anyone knowing that can use a Pokemon with stat changing moves like Double Team to basically charge up while using X-Accuracy to repair any changes to Accuracy from Flash. In doing so, a player can beat Sabrina easily(especially when combined with Generation 1's flawed coding where badges boost your stats while you raise your Evasion). As for Blaine, his team was reduced to three but his team starts out at level 48(one level above his Arcanine in Red/Blue. Speaking of Arcanine, he tops out at level 54 in Yellow). Finally Giovanni... yeah... he's much harder in Yellow. Same deal with Elite Four.

If Nah would ever publish the FAQ already, you'd see this in Generation 1!

Years
Yellow was amazing for me. I struggled a lot with Brock since I was always adamant about beating him with Pikachu like Ash did, and hell it was a struggle haha. Lots of Potions and Quick Attack spams. A few times I tried out Butterfree's Confusion, but getting Metapod to evolve was never very fun. ): Didn't bother with Nidoran line or Mankey as a kid for some reason. thank you for the memories <3

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
Never played it myself, but I always thought having your Pok?mon follow you was really cool! (It's part of the reason I loved Amity Square so much, haha.)

Now if Eevee was a starter option, younger me would have snatched it up in a heartbeat!

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Never played it myself, but I always thought having your Pok?mon follow you was really cool! (It's part of the reason I loved Amity Square so much, haha.)

Now if Eevee was a starter option, younger me would have snatched it up in a heartbeat!

So I take it LGE is in your crosshairs? It also annoyed me that we couldn't have an option to demand that Eevee that our Asshat rival stole. Its like the Grandpa didn't want to put a foot up his grandson's ass.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
So I take it LGE is in your crosshairs? It also annoyed me that we couldn't have an option to demand that Eevee that our Asshat rival stole. Its like the Grandpa didn't want to put a foot up his grandson's ass.

Yeah, when I eventually get a Switch it's possible I'll pick up a copy! The thing is, several other games take priority, and by the time I can purchase LGE Gen 8 will undoubtedly be available. :P

Back