• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Dreary [100% Complete, 1/28/2019] (v1.4, 3/26/2019)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 19, 2019
Updating this thread to alert that Pokémon Dreary is now 100% complete!
I hope you enjoy playing! :)

Mosmero

Hey, it's me, the Mos!
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen yesterday
fogal22 said:
Updating this thread to alert that Pokémon Dreary is now 100% complete!
I hope you enjoy playing! :)
People already know that the game is 100% completed, you didn't need to point that out

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Aug 24, 2020
Best rom hack I have ever played since ever, yet the ending so many question in my mind that I want to know and please make more of this

Years
Hi there, I'm one of your stream viewers from the other days. I'm playing through your hack (only up to Cinnabar Island so far), and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm just posting here because I want to report a few glitches and error.

1) Whatever system you used to decapitalize everything missed some stuff. For instance, the trendy words for the easy chat system vary from being decapitialized, to being fully capitalized, to being partially capitalized. Other instances of this is the flashback screens that happen when you load the save file referring to the "Pokemon League Gate" as the "Pokemon League GATE", and a message on a computer in the Cinnabar Lab ending with "Pokemon RESearch TEAM". I understand this might not be something you can fix, but figure it's worth noting

Spoiler:

2) Related to the easy chat system mentioned above, is the fact that the questionnaire fully works even with the Pokemarts being empty. If you put the LINK TOGETHER WITH ALL message, the non-existent sales clerk will tell you that mystery gift is unlocked and the option will be available.

Spoiler:

3) The broken boat on Route 23 can be walked through except for one tile.

4) On floor 8 of the Silph building, one of the policemen has the title of Elite Four, which gave me a good laugh when I saw it. Also, his defeat text has a sentence error, as he says "Items should would come in handy." One of the -ould words needs to go. This is the guy:

Spoiler:

5) A spelling error for the policeman in front of the Pokemon Trainer Club house, he says "The man in this house won't resond to us." Respond is missing a p.

6) If you try to take the Hitmonchan from the fighting dojo while you have a full party, it gives you the message " navybue fr You party is full." Forgot an l and a r here.

7) Finally, a major one with the fossil restoration system. It seems to be mixed up about which fossil you have. I had only the Helix fossil, but the text asked me to revive the Dome fossil, and gave me a Kabuto. Likewise, when I grabbed the Dome fossil after this, it asked if I wanted to revive the Helix fossil and game me an Omanyte. The Old Amber works fine if you give it to the machine after the other two at least.

Spoiler:

That's all I've found so far. Like I said, I'm enjoying the hack so far. It's challenging and I'm having fun with it, plus the mystery has me hooked on figuring out what is going on. Thanks for everything!

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Hi there, I'm one of your stream viewers from the other days. I'm playing through your hack (only up to Cinnabar Island so far), and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm just posting here because I want to report a few glitches and error.

1) Whatever system you used to decapitalize everything missed some stuff. For instance, the trendy words for the easy chat system vary from being decapitialized, to being fully capitalized, to being partially capitalized. Other instances of this is the flashback screens that happen when you load the save file referring to the "Pokemon League Gate" as the "Pokemon League GATE", and a message on a computer in the Cinnabar Lab ending with "Pokemon RESearch TEAM". I understand this might not be something you can fix, but figure it's worth noting

Spoiler:

2) Related to the easy chat system mentioned above, is the fact that the questionnaire fully works even with the Pokemarts being empty. If you put the LINK TOGETHER WITH ALL message, the non-existent sales clerk will tell you that mystery gift is unlocked and the option will be available.

Spoiler:

3) The broken boat on Route 23 can be walked through except for one tile.

4) On floor 8 of the Silph building, one of the policemen has the title of Elite Four, which gave me a good laugh when I saw it. Also, his defeat text has a sentence error, as he says "Items should would come in handy." One of the -ould words needs to go. This is the guy:

Spoiler:

5) A spelling error for the policeman in front of the Pokemon Trainer Club house, he says "The man in this house won't resond to us." Respond is missing a p.

6) If you try to take the Hitmonchan from the fighting dojo while you have a full party, it gives you the message " navybue fr You party is full." Forgot an l and a r here.

7) Finally, a major one with the fossil restoration system. It seems to be mixed up about which fossil you have. I had only the Helix fossil, but the text asked me to revive the Dome fossil, and gave me a Kabuto. Likewise, when I grabbed the Dome fossil after this, it asked if I wanted to revive the Helix fossil and game me an Omanyte. The Old Amber works fine if you give it to the machine after the other two at least.

Spoiler:

That's all I've found so far. Like I said, I'm enjoying the hack so far. It's challenging and I'm having fun with it, plus the mystery has me hooked on figuring out what is going on. Thanks for everything!

Sapphire Kirby? Hey there :)
Thanks for all of the glitch reports! Very detailed, very valuable. I'll be fixing them in the near future.

Years
Hi again. Glad you were happy with the first report, cause I have some more errors and glitches. I haven't beaten the game yet so I'll save most comments on the game itself until then, though I'm close. That said, I do agree with the others that Unknown Tower needs to be fixed to make grinding easier, like adding a few more trainers or upping the levels of the Pokemon found with the good rod and from the elevator grids.

Anyways, here's what I found, glitch-wise:

1) This is actually something I discovered earlier but I forgot about it. When you cross the water on Route 23, the black screen effect doesn't make everything black. Sometimes the boats will still be visible. I think how many are visible depends on which way you're going.

Spoiler:

2) Not sure if this is an error or for space limitations, but May and Brendan have the trainer class "Hoen Trainer" rather than "Hoenn Trainer".

3) Related to the above: In text outside of battle Brendan's name is correctly spelled, but in battle his name is misspelled as "Brenden".

Spoiler:

4) In newer Pokemon games, Growth raises Attack and Special Attack by 1 stage normally, and raises those stats by 2 stages if in strong Sunlight. In this hack, the attack raises both stats by 2 stages in normal weather. Slightly annoying for Brendan's Tropius, really annoying for a certain Petal Dance-using Venusaur.

5) After exiting the shopping menu from the repel salesman in Victory Road, the salesman will start walking around while the buy sell exit menu is up. Also I think the palette in the shopping menu becomes glitchy (due to not being a Pokemart /Pokemart tileset like you said in your tutorial videos) but I can't remember since I didn't take a picture of that part. Neither of these issues effect the Unknown Tower saleman.

Spoiler:

6) Related to the decapitlization issues from the first post, the Curse status is referred to in all caps. The name of the attack is fine though.

Spoiler:

7) Spelling error: When Xergle has the guards surround you, he'll yell "WHAT IS HELL IS TH--". I'm guessing the first IS should be a THE.

8) Something got messed up with the TM palettes, as they all have glitchy coloring. Dragon is the exception, as Dragon Claw looks normal for some reason.

Spoiler:

9) Normally when you try using Thunder Wave on a Pokemon that's immune to it, the attack animation won't play and you'll get a message saying the move has no effect. Twice when I used Thunder Wave on a Porygon in the tower, the animation played but the Pokemon wasn't paralyzed and didn't give a message saying it was immune. Both those Pokemon had the ability Download and I was able to paralyze a Porygon with Trace, so I think Download might be the problem. I'm not sure, that glitch will need some investigating.

10) Unless you changed the TM charts, no Pokemon available to the player (according to the Obtainable Pokemon text file) can learn Calm Mind, Making the Calm Mind TM that's available useless.

11) Unless you changed how evolution works for some Pokemon, the Moon, Sun, and Leaf stones available from the Pokemon Mansion are useless.

12) The Obtainable Pokemon text file in the zip folder for the game doesn't list the Pokemon available from the elevator grid in the tower (Porygon, Magnemite, Gastly).

Since I'm almost finished with the game, I doubt there'll be anymore errors or glitches, but if there are I'll report them.

Last edited:
Years
So is there going to be a sequel?I feel abit annoyed and sad because of the forced "death" with no way to save anyone.I really didn't know it would have such an awful and depressing ending.And if there is a sequel it has to be our real character and not some new person added to the story...

Besides the ending upsetting me the game was pretty good.

Last edited:

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
So is there going to be a sequel?I feel abit annoyed and sad because of the forced "death" with no way to save anyone.I really didn't know it would have such an awful and depressing ending.And if there is a sequel it has to be our real character and not some new person added to the story...

Besides the ending upsetting me the game was pretty good.

Yes, the plan was to reveal the rest of the story with more content in the future. I'll be releasing an aftergame within the coming weeks, which will peek into the next part of the plot. Hopefully that will ease your disappointment with how things were left off through the main part of the game! :)

Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2019
Congratulations on this very beautiful hack, really waiting for a sequel

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I really like hacks that focus more on the story than anything else. I also like unhappy stories haha. I'm gonna have to get around to playing this soon, heard good things!

Years
Somes songs were nice, and I ask you, what were the song from the trainer battle and the song in viridian city

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Charizard just walks through this game without even hitting lv40. And tbh that really was the worst ending, it makes the game not worth picking up in the first place. At least leave the empty region open to explore.
It's VERY short
There's no variety of interesting pokemon (even NPC's have no variety)
It's easy to get stumped by unintuitive progression triggers (hence the FAQs above that tell you how to progress)
The story is interesting, though there is a lot of reading, I was invested until the poor ending ruined the whole game
All in all its disappointing considering the potential it had. I wouldn't like to see a sequel to this game, I'd like to see this game improved and continued from where it ends.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 17, 2021
That darkrai glitch still happens to me even on v1.3. Is there any way to fix it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 10, 2020
I have been extremely busy lately, so I couldn't take my time to write a review for this so it's going to be a mini-review.

Before that I would like to thank Anthroyd for letting me play his game! So let's go into it!

Story:
Very unique and special! This romhack is mainly a story-driven game. Initially the plot could be a little confusing, but more things will be unfold as you progress through the story. Unfortunately the story is too short, that you can easily complete the game in less than 8 hours, leaving you wanting for more.

Gameplay:
Some difficult spike here and there, but mostly manageable except towards the end, which may required you to grind a little bit. Most of your party members will be given to you. Because this game is story-focused, there will be little chance for you to explore the region around, hence less chance for you to catch your favourite Pokemon for your team.

Music:
Good custom music, although it is a little strange to hear a famous Final Fantasy victory fanfare as the victory theme. lol.

SCORE:
7 out of 10

The following link below is my let's play of Pokemon Dreary. If you ever get stuck, or just want to have a look at how the game is you can visit the link for the playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQJZvIgYpjE2-qk_savcRxH7cIRGt3rpE

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Updating this thread to alert that the variety update, v1.4, has been completed and released!
Nearly all 151 mons are now available to catch and raise, and most trainer teams have been reworked to add far greater variety in mons.
See Version Log for details.

An aftergame is being developed and will be released in v1.5.

DeathKing said:
That darkrai glitch still happens to me even on v1.3. Is there any way to fix it.
Are you using the MyBoy emulator on Android? If so, then that's unfortunate. Thanks for the report: I'll continue looking into a fix.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2023
Hello! I absolutely love this game. I will withhold more feedback until I finish it, though. But that might not be happening, since I got stuck pretty badly. I lost to Darkrai with absolutely no chance to win, so I figured I'd leave and grind. Now that I come back to the room, Darkrai is nowhere to be seen. I don't know what to do.

Admittedly, I used a save editor, only for the purpose of changing my pokemon's nicknames (as a side note, please add the possibility of naming them as you receive them, I find it really necessary for immersion). I figured I'd risk it, since I was only changing my party data everything else should be fine. It was a while ago in-game too, back in Celadon, so I don't think it was the cause of this bug, but figured I'd mention it.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Hello! I absolutely love this game. I will withhold more feedback until I finish it, though. But that might not be happening, since I got stuck pretty badly. I lost to Darkrai with absolutely no chance to win, so I figured I'd leave and grind. Now that I come back to the room, Darkrai is nowhere to be seen. I don't know what to do.

Admittedly, I used a save editor, only for the purpose of changing my pokemon's nicknames (as a side note, please add the possibility of naming them as you receive them, I find it really necessary for immersion). I figured I'd risk it, since I was only changing my party data everything else should be fine. It was a while ago in-game too, back in Celadon, so I don't think it was the cause of this bug, but figured I'd mention it.

Thanks, glad you like it. I completely forgot about the nicknaming... I'll make sure to add that in for the next patch. Also, the v1.4 patch decreases the level curve in Unknown Tower, so that may help you out. :)
I'm aware that someone else tried editing their save and using cheats, and the game broke for some reason as well. I'm not sure if your case is the same.

Just to clarify: did you battle Darkrai and lose? After you lost, the game should have reset and sent you back to your last save. Returning to Darkrai's room should trigger the same scripts, since everything was reset after losing. Perhaps you forgot to jump down the black holes and talk to Xergle, Nietzsche, and Palkia? The Darkrai script will trigger after speaking to those NPCs.

Last edited:
Back