• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Ruby Bug Monotype – Introduction/Analysis

Spoiler:

Ruby Bug Monotype – Part 1 – Badge 1/8

Spoiler:

Ruby Bug Monotype – Part 2 – Badge 2/8

Spoiler:

Ruby Bug Monotype – Part 3 – Badge 3/8

Spoiler:

Ruby Bug Monotype – Part 4 – Badge 4/8

Spoiler:

Ruby Bug Monotype – Part 5 – Badge 5/8

Spoiler:

Ruby Bug Monotype – Part 6 – Badge 6/8

Spoiler:

Ruby Bug Monotype – Part 7 – Badge 7/8

Spoiler:

Ruby Bug Monotype – Part 8 – Badge 8/8 + Elite 4 (END)

Spoiler:

Ruby Bug Monotype FIN!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Water Monotype Challenge - First Update
Heart Gold | Marko

40px-Zephyr_Badge.png
40px-Hive_Badge.png

So the journey through Johto begins! I once again named myself Marko as it is what I had named myself in the previous run. Started the game and picked out my starter Pokemon and the first member of my team Tortilla the Totodile. Then I set off to do Professor Elm's errand. Easy enough. Fought against my rival who I later named Polo, once again as it was my Rival's name last run.

The first gym was easy and so was the Bellsprout Tower. Tortilla basically bit everything in his path. He evolved into a Croconaw just after the fight against Faulkner. I picked up the secret Wooper egg to become my second team member, but I found it quicker to just catch a Wooper on the route ahead. Enter Burrito the Wooper! Used the cave ahead to grind Burrito up and once that was done moved on to Azalea Town where I'd fight Team Rocket, the next gym, as well as find my third Member.

After Team Rocket was taken out of Slowpoke Well you guessed it, I went and caught a Slowpoke to be the third member. Enter Chimi the Slowpoke (Chimichanga wouldn't fit Heart Gold's letter limit rip) where I then once again spent time grinding him in the cave. I also trained Tortilla up until he learned Ice Fang so facing both Bugsy and my Rival were both easy wins between Chimi's Confusion and Tortilla's Ice Fang. Caught an Oddish for a HM Slave so I can Cut my way through to the next city. Now I'm in Goldenrod City having just finished evolving Burrito into a Quagsire. Figured with her being the same gender as Miltank and having a resistance to its Rollout Whitney shouldn't be an issue. We'll find out next time, won't we.

croconaw.png

Tortilla (Croconaw) ♂ | Naughty | Level 23
Ice Fang, Bite, Water Gun, Rage

quagsire-f.png

Burrito (Quagsire) ♀ | Hardy | Level 20
Water Gun, Headbutt, Slam, Mud Bomb

slowpoke.png

Chimi (Slowpoke) ♂ | Bashful | Level 17
Curse, Yawn, Confusion, Water Gun

HM Slaves
oddish.png

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
Forum User Name: adzpower
Game(s): Omega Ruby
Pokémon Type: Grass
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single

Spoiler:

Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
HeartGold Bug Monotype – Introduction

Spoiler:

HeartGold Bug Monotype – Part 1 – Badge 1/8

Spoiler:

HeartGold Bug Monotype – Part 2 – Badge 2/8

Spoiler:

HeartGold Bug Monotype – Part 3 – Badge 3/8

Spoiler:

HeartGold Bug Monotype – Part 4 – Badge 4/8

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years

Mono Bug on R/S/E is probably the single hardest Monotype Challenge out there. All of the Bug types out there suck. It's also the only one I never completed. I should try it again some day, but I'm still currently struggling through a Black 2 Nuzlocke. My team keeps on dying and the number of encounters left is shrinking, so the prospects of actually winning this time are somewhat bleak...

In contrast, Mono Bug in Black 2 was very doable. Lots of strong options there, but it's still a lot of fun, so you'll have something to look forward to if you plan on doing all games. :)

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Mono Bug on R/S/E is probably the single hardest Monotype Challenge out there. All of the Bug types out there suck. It's also the only one I never completed. I should try it again some day, but I'm still currently struggling through a Black 2 Nuzlocke. My team keeps on dying and the number of encounters left is shrinking, so the prospects of actually winning this time are somewhat bleak...

In contrast, Mono Bug in Black 2 was very doable. Lots of strong options there, but it's still a lot of fun, so you'll have something to look forward to if you plan on doing all games. :)
It was very difficult. I was honestly tempted to give up at Steven. I must've reset about 20-30 times before finally defeating him. It was one of, if not the hardest battle I've ever done in an RPG, nevermind in just a Pokemon game, and if it wasn't for Shedinja being pure cheese I wouldn't have been able to do it. As far as I'm concerned now that that one's out of the way, the others can't possibly be harder. I get the feeling Platinum will be pretty unforgiving too though.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
Spoiler:

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
It was very difficult. I was honestly tempted to give up at Steven. I must've reset about 20-30 times before finally defeating him. It was one of, if not the hardest battle I've ever done in an RPG, nevermind in just a Pokemon game, and if it wasn't for Shedinja being pure cheese I wouldn't have been able to do it. As far as I'm concerned now that that one's out of the way, the others can't possibly be harder. I get the feeling Platinum will be pretty unforgiving too though.
Platinum really sucks at the start of the game since Kriketune is the only option for Roark, but it gets better as you get access to Vespiquen, Yanmega, Heracross, and Scizor.

Unova by comparison has so many great options, Nintendo did a good job addressing the low number of of good Bug-types in Gen V.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
I'm changing from a single challenge to an ultimate challenge, I feel very motivated to do this.

Forum User Name: adzpower
Game(s): Leaf Green, Heart Gold, Omega Ruby, Pearl, Black 2, Y, Sun
Pokémon Type: Grass
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

Currently working on Omega Ruby, have all the games on console so will take terrible phone quality pics of important parts and do a big post when each challenge is complete.

EDIT - Switching to Pearl instead of Platinum

Last edited:
Years

Nah, Platinum is fine. Scyther/Scizor is absolutely amazeballs in Gen 4. Scyther was the MVP in my Christian Challenge on Platinum (meaning no evolution, no Ghost/Dark/Psychic Pokemon or moves, and a couple of other less important rules). I never tried Mono Bug on Platinum but it should be doable.

Black 2 is probably the easiest one out there, which is funny since Black 2 is usually the hardest game for most challenges. I used Heracross, Volcarona, Crustle, Galvantula, Leavanny and (post-league) Yanmega, but there's also Scolipede, Vespiquen, Pinsir, Escavalier, Accelgor, Skorupi (lol) and I guess Shuckle (meh). Even if you insist on using only Gen 5 Pokemon you could get a pretty nice team.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
Spoiler:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Nah, Platinum is fine. Scyther/Scizor is absolutely amazeballs in Gen 4. Scyther was the MVP in my Christian Challenge on Platinum (meaning no evolution, no Ghost/Dark/Psychic Pokemon or moves, and a couple of other less important rules). I never tried Mono Bug on Platinum but it should be doable.

Black 2 is probably the easiest one out there, which is funny since Black 2 is usually the hardest game for most challenges. I used Heracross, Volcarona, Crustle, Galvantula, Leavanny and (post-league) Yanmega, but there's also Scolipede, Vespiquen, Pinsir, Escavalier, Accelgor, Skorupi (lol) and I guess Shuckle (meh). Even if you insist on using only Gen 5 Pokemon you could get a pretty nice team.

Admittedly, I'm not as familar with Platinum as I am with other games, but I'm fairly sure you don't get access to Scyther until you have at least 3 or 4 badges. You don't get access to Yanma to get Yanmega until you have 3 or 4 badges either. The early game will be absolutely awful as you only have access to Kricketot, and Wurmple who you basically have to beg will evolve into Beautifly if you pick it up. The earliest decent pick up you can get is Vespiquen, but she requires both waiting around for honey trees to spawn Pokemon, and to specifically get a female Combee.

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
HeartGold Bug Monotype – Part 5 – Badge 5, 6 & 7

Spoiler:

HeartGold Bug Monotype – Part 6 – Badge 8/8

Spoiler:

HeartGold Bug Monotype – Part 6 – Victory Road + Elite 4 (Final NECESSARY Part)

Spoiler:

HeartGold Bug Monotype FIN....?
(Kanto to be done after I've finished the rest of the ultimate challenge)​

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
Heart Gold Gyms 1, 2 & 3

Spoiler:

Heart Gold Gym 4/Training

Spoiler:

Heart Gold Gyms 5, 6, 7, 8

Spoiler:

Heart Gold Training & Pokemon League

Spoiler:

Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Pokemon Black Bug Monotype - Introduction/Analysis

Spoiler:

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 1 – Badges 1 & 2

Spoiler:

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 2 – Badge 3/8

Spoiler:

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 3 – Badge 4/8

Spoiler:

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 4 – Badge 5/8

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Water Monotype Challenge - Second Update
Heart Gold | Marko

40px-Zephyr_Badge.png
40px-Hive_Badge.png
40px-Plain_Badge.png
40px-Fog_Badge.png
40px-Storm_Badge.png
40px-Mineral_Badge.png

Whoo, a lot has happened since the last time we updated! First off the battle against Whitney that went .... well she was a pain. We managed to defeat her with a mix of all three Pokemon but christ her Stomp attack and the fact that she always seems to get off a flinch is downright dirty tbh. After the defeat of Whitney the game went a lot more smoothly.

We made our way up to Ecruteak City where we easily took down our rival Polo (Chimi took care of his Gastly and Zubat, Burrito his Magnemite, and a swift Ice Fang from Tortilla took down his Bayleef). Then we went to Olivine City to ... try to get one of our members but was stopped by some dude. Anyways we at least picked up the Good Rod we'll be needing for two of our members. I wouldn't grabbed one of the other ones except I didn't realize they were on a route that I already had access to until after I defeated Morty. Which by the way was incredibly easy between Chimi's Confusion and Tortilla's Bite.

Before I continue let me just warn you that I went all over the place for no particular reason other than being disorganized. Oops. Anyways. Our first new member of our team after we defeated Morty was Chalupa the Chinchou! Once she was acquired we backtracked to Route 32 to fish up our next member! Eventually entered Enchilada the Qwilfish! Once we obtained Enchilada we only had one more Team member to acquire then we had our full team.

That way, we made our back to Olivine City and onto Route 41 where we surfed for a bit. The Tentacool, Tentacruels, and trainers made for some nice experience and eventually Tortilla evolved into a Feraligatr! Soon after we encountered and caught our last team member Taco the Mantine. After we got everyone we made our way back to Olivine City to go up the lighthouse, get our mission, and then set sail, one more, for Cianwood. During our trek there Chalupa evolved into a Lanturn!

Chuck was honestly a little harder than I expected. I should have grinded a bit more before taking him on. Used Toxic Spikes during Primeape with Enchilada so the fight against Poliwrath was a mix of stalling and then finishing it off with a Spark from Chalupa. Then we trekked back to Olivine with a quick surf (it's honestly not a far surf and experience was always needed. That and I didn't pick up a Bird slave for Fly) so we can deliver the medicine to Jasmine. Except I forgot the medicine so then I had to make another round trip. Oops. But mission was (eventually) completed and off we went to fight Jasmine! She was honestly a lot easier than Chuck between Chalupa's Volt Absorb and Surf and Taco's Surf for Steelix.

With that all said and done we backtracked to Ecruteak and now we're standing in front of Mt. Mortar ready to continue! Already I can tell I'm slowly getting "underleveled" just like in every playthrough of mine in Johto, but I don't believe it should be an issue. If anything I'll just grind until I'm tired like always and then just slam my way through everything after. Guess we'll find out!

feraligatr.png

Tortilla (Feraligatr) ♂
Naughty | Torrent | Level 31
Ice Fang, Crunch, Water Gun, Rage

quagsire-f.png

Burrito (Quagsire) ♀
Hardy | Water Absorb | Level 28 @ Quick Claw
Water Gun, Headbutt, Slam, Mud Bomb

slowpoke.png

Chimi (Slowpoke) ♂
Bashful | Own Tempo | Level 30
Curse, Headbutt, Confusion, Water Pulse

lanturn.png

Chalupa (Lanturn) ♀
Bashful | Volt Absorb | Level 29
Stockpile, Surf, Confuse Ray, Spark

qwilfish.png

Enchilada (Qwilfish) ♂
Quirky | Poison Point | Level 24
Harden, Toxic Spikes, Water Gun, Rollout

mantine.png

Taco (Mantine) ♀
Docile | Water Absorb | Level 24 @ Sharp Beak
Surf, BubbleBeam, Headbutt, Wing Attack

HM Slaves
oddish.png
wooper.png

Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Platinum Bug Monotype – Introduction

Spoiler:

Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 1 – Badge 1/8

Spoiler:

Years
Oh yeah, you wouldn't normally use Scyther here, of course. Only using Gen 4 Pokémon is tricky, but should still be a LOT easier than Emerald. Yanmega and Vespiquen are both pretty usable, although they do give you a ton of weaknesses, but Wormadam helps with that.

I knew that Kricketune is not that awful early game, but I didn't expect it to be that good either. By all means keep using it over Mothim ;)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
Kricketune is pretty good actually, decent attack stat and it gets X-scissor and Night Slash by level up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back