• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular Opinions

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
What are some unpopular opinions you have about the show. Whether its about a series, or a character, so on. Something that you're in the minority for when it comes to said opinion.

Like for one I dont think Ash needs to change or be replaced hes fine the way he is overall. Also Best Wishes is a good series despite its flaws. There are more but honestly I'm not 100% sure anymore if they're just unpopular here on PC or in general.

And please, for the love of Arceus, don't go around saying someones opinion is bad or try to argue it or whatever. Leave peoples opinions alone in this thread thanks!!

Unless youre agreeing with an opinion thats different.

Last edited:

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I actually liked the Hoenn saga; I know everyone said it had some bad writing (ie Thunder Armor), but I rather enjoyed it for the most part~

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Wait people disliked the hoenn anime?! I loved it too

The Hoenn Gym Leaders were a downgrade from past regions. Roxanne gave Ash a run for his money losing to his Ace in Pikachu and even Brawly gave him a licking. After that it was downhill with Watson being swept aside thanks to a fluke run in with a robot. Flannery went down easily, as did Norman and Winona. Infamous Thunder Armor was against Tate&Liza and Juan, not Wallace, was Ash's opponent for the final badge.

Therefore the region is treated rather harshly in that regard. In some ways I understand their arguments but like you I enjoyed the region, even if it was painful to watch at times.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I haven't been able to watch all of Hoenn but from what I have watched I've enjoy it myself! Of course, this is coming from someone whose favorite series is Best Wishes aka the one that people seem to dislike the most! It's basically like what CodeHelmet said about Hoenn: I understand people's arguments about the series and yes, it is painful to watch sometimes (Ash's battle with Elesa......) but in the end I love the series for what it was.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
Years
The Hoenn Gym Leaders were a downgrade from past regions. Roxanne gave Ash a run for his money losing to his Ace in Pikachu and even Brawly gave him a licking. After that it was downhill with Watson being swept aside thanks to a fluke run in with a robot. Flannery went down easily, as did Norman and Winona. Infamous Thunder Armor was against Tate&Liza and Juan, not Wallace, was Ash's opponent for the final badge.

Therefore the region is treated rather harshly in that regard. In some ways I understand their arguments but like you I enjoyed the region, even if it was painful to watch at times.

Honestly I'm like that with BW and SM yet I'm more open to BW since it does have good parts unlike SM which has made me so mad

Last edited:
Years
i liked may. i also liked dawn but she seems overrated compared to may. i also like the anime. i also didn't like the serious team rocket in bw. i mean, sure, they can have serious missions but i've always liked them because they give humorous scenes. i mean, serious mission + humor = good team rocket.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
The art style in Sun/Moon is good, and people's outcry that it was "bad" was annoying af.

I finally just started Sun/Moon and I can tell you I 100% already agree with you. It's so cute and the animation is so smooth like tf are people talking about "it's bad".

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
I like the Sun and Moon anime, I like the style and the slice of life type episodes. It feels true to Alola.

I loathe Team Rocket, everytime Ash gets to a new region we never really get to meet or spend much time with that regions enemy team, and I think its because they always drag Jessie and James along with him who take up the screentime.

LatchoDives23

Official Nicktoons Fan of the Boards
Years
I don't know if this is unpopular, but I despise Paul with a passion.

I'm wondering because I've seen hate for him, but I've also seen his fair share of defenders/fans.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I don't know if this is unpopular, but I despise Paul with a passion.

I'm wondering because I've seen hate for him, but I've also seen his fair share of defenders/fans.

Most people like him because of how much he pushed Ash and how he was as a rival in general. But I can totally see the other side of the argument and why people would dislike him (I wasn't a fan of him at first, either. he grew on me over the years though).

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 9, 2019
I literally cannot stand the Alola region season and it makes me sad.

I miss Ash travelling through the region with his new friends. Going around, catching new pokemon, training them and doing gym battles. Meeting his rivals along his way and doing his best to win the final tournament.

I can only hope it returns to this soon enough.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Regarding unpopular opinions, I only have a few that come to mind:

*Johto wasn't really that bad of a saga (certainly not bad enough to be considered the worst saga until BW anyways). Sure, it's pretty lengthy at times, and it sometimes did screw up characters. But on the other hand, Misty did get some starting focus on her goal, and aside from that, Ash actually showed progress in his goal, something we never got in later seasons, not even DP and XY, which were the only other times up to this point that Ash actually increased in rank, even beat his life-long rival Gary as well.

*Togepi wasn't even that bad of a character overall. Actually, if anything, I didn't mind that Togepi went to Misty, and I actually found it nice that Misty would be a mama bear to it. And I don't think it ruined her character, either. 1. Even before she got Togepi, she still seemed very tame in the Tsundere department (I've seen Bulma, Jessie, and the Love Hina girls treat others far more harshly), and 2., she always showed a bit of a motherly streak even before Togepi came around (case in point, her concern for Pikachu in the first two episodes, and her helping out that Cubone in the ER episode). In a way, especially when Togepi's detractors essentially compare it to a Metroid, I actually compare the relationship to that of Samus Aran and the Baby Metroid in Super Metroid, or heck, Terra Branford and the Children of Moblis in Final Fantasy VI. Plus, I utterly hated how characters bashed Togepi for "not doing anything". It's a baby, do you REALLY think it would just battle other Pokémon? That would be an exceptionally bad idea (and I personally blame those fan complaints for how we get OP mary sue baby Pokémon like May's Eevee, May's Squirtle, or Dawn's Piplup, to say little about Ash's Hoenn team).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Mine is that evolution is overrated. Folks seem to foam at the mouth whenever they see an un-evolved Pokemon on Ash's team near the end of each saga, but I don't see it as a bad writing decision.

Just saying I agree with this 100%! I feel like Pokemon not evolving sometimes makes it more realistic than every Pokemon evolving. They're their own being and as we've seen they have their own thoughts and opinions on evolution (Pikachu, Bulbasaur, etc) and I think that's a good decision. Separates them from the ones who do evolve.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 17, 2022
I'm actually enjoying the Sun and Moon series, I know some people don't like the slice of life the series is doing and the whole wacky nature of it but for me I actually like it. Also I'm not watching the Sun and Moon series weekly instead I wait until I miss more than 10 episodes, and then binge watch the episodes I missed. When I do it like that I actually enjoy the series more instead of watching it weekly, which I originally did but stopped after a while when I realized that for me the Sun and Moon series is more enjoyable binge watching it instead of watching it weekly.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
Years
Oh ho boy this thread I've been needin' to visit.

Iris is better than Misty in character. I believe from what I've recalled of both animes, Iris is the one that more realistically grows and struggles more compared to Misty's "I don't like my older sisters being all condescending and stuff." I think the excuses levied at Iris being bad aren't well reflecting her entire character as a whole or developed over the series. Speaking of, I liked the BW series and found it had a very nice cast of mons that generation. Yeah, not all were given great character, but the ones that were, were really good. Better than the XY cast mons that got shoved in a closet in XY and Z.

Speaking of, I was okay with XY at first and I liked the flare arc, but XY failed a lot of ways to me. It was too convenient and "one hit KO's" a lot in the league and there is no sense of power scale or consistency there, or at least it feels like.

SM drawing is rather basic. No real pros or cons on it.
I like Ash's torterra, what can I say. DP had some good moments, despite being annoying filler city. Hoenn was fine. Johto I don't think I ever delved into and the originals was a biiiiiiiiiit too much it's time to appreciate a better narrative, but eh, nostalgia can cover even the most basic flaws.

Oh and my number 1 opinion.
shipping hints and all in the anime is getting too much. Serena's bit was way to costly of her character, Iris's was well...subtle but I'm glad it didn't go through, Dawn is well...okay, and Misty really was shoehorned in as well. I dunno, I'm getting tired of a lot of the females getting interested in Ash along the series and I hope Gen 8's is a nice break from that and can carry out, maybe even being a fellow trainer

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Speaking of Iris, my unpopular opinion is that Iris was actually not all that bad of a character. I mean, yeah, sure, she does call Ash a kid too many times (though to be fair, Ash's own behavior in BW didn't help her opinion), but if you ask me, one of the reasons I'm fond of Iris is precisely BECAUSE she was more like Misty than she was May, Dawn, or Serena. She made a worthy successor, and I actually view her as the second-best character in the series for that reason, the other being Misty. Also helps that unlike Misty, Iris actually WAS allowed to continue on with her goal (too bad we didn't see her again afterward, she definitely had a more plausible means or revisiting Ash than Dawn did anyway).

Back