• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Pokemon Fire Red Dragon Monotype Ultimate Challenge

My progress:
Spoiler:

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Attachments

• Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_03.png
    Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_03.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_04.png
    Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_04.png
    6 KB · Views: 2
  • Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_05.png
    Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_05.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_06.png
    Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_06.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_02.png
    Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_02.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Current Team:
Spoiler:
Not to sound condescending, but I just want to make sure. You ARE going to pick up a second Dratini, right? The rules say that you need at least 2 Elite Four viable Pokemon by the end of the game of your stated type.

Edit: Nvm, read your post in more detail, lol.

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Ice Waves
ddrox13's Monotype Challenge of Renegade Platinum with the Ice type.
471MS.png
478MS.png
473MS.png
460MS.png
461MS.png
latest

Challenge Complete!

This run, man.

Doing an insane challenge like this really helps solidify your love for a type. Ice is just not a great type to mono with, but if you're gonna do it, it's a hell of a lot of fun. Renegade Platinum is also an absurd game to do any challenge in, but here we are.

Bar the obvious exception bearing the name Infernape, late-game Sinnoh is actually fairly nice to Ice-types. Not too many pesky fighters, not too many fiery things outside of Flint's room, lots of Pokémon with low Defenses to one-shot. This meant there were a lot of things for my one-shotters - most notably Leiptr (Weavile), Gjoll (Froslass), and Sylgr (Mamoswine) - to lay the smack down on. My more well-rounded first partner Fjorm (Glaceon) was able to patch up many situations where a one-shot wasn't in the cards, which was a major asset and led to her being this run's MVP. Combine those four with Hail support and the occasional Hammer Time from the still-fairly-underwhelming Hrid (Abomasnow) and some Fire protection in Svol (Walrein), and you have as close to a recipe for in-game success as you can have while being locked to the worst defensive type in the game.

Through all the ups and downs, this has been one of my most fun monotypes, if not my most fun, to date. If you love the Ice-type as much as I do, feel free to give this run a try. Thanks again to Dray for an amazing game, and thanks to all of you lovelies for reading this mess.

---

Cyrus II is actually an okay fight, despite a number of annoying things. Svol of all people netted KOes 1-3 on Crobat, Magnezone, and Houndoom. Fjorm mopped up Honchkrow and Weavile with a few well-placed Dazzling Gleams.

Gjoll, in her standard refusal to be outshown by her sisters, took out four of Saturn's Pokemon, leaving only Marmortar for Sylgr to dispose of.

Leiptr, for her part, led the team through the entire Hrid-less ascent of Mt. Coronet. Mars/Jupiter goes about as well as it physically can go - Rabinov *didn't* mess anything up, meaning Leiptr, Gjoll, and Fjorm could sweep through the twin commanders with little to no resistance (bar a rogue Hammer Arm from a Scrappy Kangaskhan KOing Gjoll). Distortion World time!

After the only good puzzle area in the series, It's time for Cyrus... WAIT I FORGOT HE KEEPS THE LEGENDAR.... It's time for a double battle with Dialga and Palkia! Leiptr and Fjorm fall to a pair of Aura Spheres, but not before doing a significant chunk of damage to Dialga and Palkia respectively. Gjoll finishes the latter, while Sylgr evicts the former. The actual Cyrus III fight that follows plays out quite similar to Cyrus II, except that he now has a Gyarados for Gjoll to nuke. Giratina, now dubbed Hel to be at least somewhat on-theme, then takes a Master Ball to the face because she's a more HM-efficient Fly slave than Murkrow (after listening to her battle theme for ~10 minutes while I logged up to this point).

Volkner was next, and Sylgr and Fjorm basically trivialized this fight. Sylgr took out Jolteon while taking a good chunk of damage, but stayed in to donk Magnezone anyway. Volkner's two Rotom possess the Heat and Wash forms, and were evicted by Svol and Leiptr respectively. Fjorm was finally responsible for cleaning up the two Physical attackers, Luxray and Electivire.

Pretty much everyone contributes on Victory Road (except for Hrid for obvious reasons - she's benched). As you'd probably expect by now, the Marley quest is mandatory and pre-E4. That sidequest and Lucas provide enough of a challenge to convince me we need a couple more levels (and to dump Svol's unwanted HMs). So, we do. And we catch Hrid up, then equip her Ball Capsule for the final time, locking my final party of six.

The final fight with Rabinov is the only thing between us and the E4, and everyone manages to help out. Staraptor gets a Leiptr Punch (the Icy variety, specifically) to the face, Fjorm crits Heracross, Svol eats a Close Combat and Surfs away the subsequent fire doggo, Gjoll gets the free OHKO on Torterra, Hrid makes her first appearance of the update to drop a Wood Hammer on Azumarill, and Sylgr is the option for deleting the Snorlax that caused me no end of problems before. A fine way to start the League, if I do say so myself.

The Elite Four in Renegade Platinum is semi-randomized - each Elite has 4 potential teams, and you won't know which you're facing until you get there. So, no Serebii cheese.

Aaron leads with a Masqrain, which in this game actually resists Ice due to inheriting its pre-evolution's Water/Bug style. It manages to take out Gjoll, but it can't stop the Leiptr one-shot that follows. Fjorm chunks Aaron's Heracross before eating a Close Combat, but Leiptr, being Leiptr, is there to snag the KO. Scizor takes down everyone but Hrid, although he also goes down with Sylgr due to the Life Orb. Hrid miraculously tanks a Bug Buzz and Aaron's Beautifly misses the coin flip on the subsequent Hurricane in Hail, meaning I have time to Revive both Leiptr and Gjoll, the latter at full health. Gjoll then punishes Beautifly with an Ice Beam. Leiptr gives her life again to allow me to revive Sylgr, who in turn removes Drapion and Dustox from play with Earthquake and Rock Climb (which is now a Rock-type move), winning me the match.

Bertha is hypothetically the easy one, by virtue of types. I correctly guess that Bertha would lead with something that makes a Sandstorm, so I lead Hrid to cancel it. She lands a Blizzard and an Ice Shard to win the round. Bertha leaning towards her Flying-type Gliscor next hints that a Poison Jab is in Hrid's future if she stays in, but Sylgr's Icicle Crash has other plans. Hrid makes a reappearance to handle Wishcash, and manages to win with Wood Hammer despite the surprise Bounce. Hrid is now too damaged to use Wood Hammer again, so I call in Svol to finish the match by one-shotting Golem (with the help of Hail), Rhyperior, and Donphan.

And now we come to the hard part. I make the same somewhat gutsy call to lead Hrid again, and it once more pays off as it cancels the Drought from Flint's Ninetales. Obviously I can't leave her in to take an Overheat though, so Svol takes over to do that. The bane of my existance, Infernape, is the next call from the flame master, and it is now that I realize I didn't go through with my Genius Plan of giving Fjorm the Soft Sand. So, I first preform "The HJK Test", aka leading Fjorm and switching into Gjoll to attempt to see if Infernape bears High Jump Kick. Turns out he went for the Flare Blitz, however, so Gjoll falls instantly. The recoil damage does allow Fjorm to get the revenge kill successfully. Flint answers with Flareon, and fittingly both Eeveeloutions fall together to Flare Blitz when Earth Power fails to KO. Due to the double-KO I'm blind picking my next sub, and I go with the safe option of Svol. She manages to survive Rapidash's Wild Charge, and answers with Surf. I keep her in on Houndoom and throw a Potion her way, allowing her to eat two Fire Blasts in style and respond with another Surf. Flint's ace is Magmortar, but he falls to the faster Sylgr in a single Earthquake.

Lucian has traditionally been the E4 member that gives me the most trouble. I again lead Hrid for that sweet, sweet chip damage from Hail into Lucian's barrier-happy Mr. Mime. Not that Hrid cares terribly much about Reflect - Wood Hammer still nets the OHKO. Bronzong is probably my least favorite Pokemon to fight in-game ever, and it lives up to that here by tanking a Gjoll Shadow Ball and retaliating with Gyro Ball. Obvious Full Restore is obvious, so Leiptr has two shots to Thief Bronzong to death, which she succeeds. My plan against Gallade is to see how Fjorm fares, then sac Hrid to revive Gjoll. Turns out the latter part of the plan doesn't matter, as Fjorm gets her first Snow Cloak dodge of the run to complete the 2HKO with Dazzling Gleam. Unlike Bronzong, Metagross doesn't have Levitate, so Sylgr gets to throw out an Earthquake. Unfortunately, Gross survives because of that Reflect I totally forgot about from turn 1 and KOes with Meteor Mash, so Leiptr comes back out to clean up again, "accidentally" taking down Lucian's Espeon and Alakazam in the process to end the duel.

Cynthia time! The "lead Hrid, push Wood Hammer, and hope for the best" strategy seems to have worked so far, so I keep it up. Spiritomb does survive it and answers with W-o-W, so I resort to Blizzard to finish the job [ddrox 6 - 5 Cynthia]. Lucario is sent out, so I try the "check for HJK" trick again and it once more gets Gjoll killed, this time by Meteor Mash [ddrox 5 - 5 Cynthia]. That said, Sylgr remains ever faster than I expected, and nets the return KO [ddrox 5 - 4 Cynthia]. Milotic is next, and my answers are either Burned (Hrid) or dead (Gjoll). I pick the former, and just drop a Full Restore to get her back in fighting shape. At this point, it's (Wood) Hammer time [5-3]. My only good answer to Togekiss is to hope Sylgr's Icicle Crash OHKOes. It doesn't, but nor does the return Moonblast, so Ice Shard picks up the round [5-2]. At this point, Cynthia is down to her Ice-weaks. Roserade is first, but it takes a Leiptr Punch to the face in rapid order [5-1]. Lastly, I always go out of my way to give the final kill on Cynthia to whoever I think deserves it the most. In this case, the answer is fairly obvious, as Fjorm is the one to eliminate Garchomp, even through the Yache Berry. GG.

KDjpM1w.png

The Team
471MS.png
478MS.png
473MS.png
460MS.png
461MS.png
365MS.png

Now with commentary! And Hall of Fame Screenshots!
Spoiler:

-------

THREAD UPDATE:
Due to Kingswing being dead for 2 months and this being the Monotype Challenge, I will be mod-editing the OP with challengers and completed challenges as soon as I get time. This thread will continue to be used up until November, at which point I will create a new thread for this challenge, as Monotype deserves a new thread every generation or so.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Water Monotype Challenge - Second Update
Black | Marko

50px-Trio_Badge.png
50px-Basic_Badge.png
50px-Insect_Badge.png
50px-Bolt_Badge.png
50px-Quake_Badge.png

So thankfully I realized that I was able to get to the Relic Castle and obtain my fossil so I can have the next member on my team, and also the member that I picked BW over BW2 for. That's right, I picked up the Cover Fossil and then after reaching Nimbasa and getting the bike for faster travel, quickly trekked back to revive Cereal the Tirtouga. After her glorious revival I went back to the Resort where I then went around fighting all the trainers to level her up as best I could, then moved on to Nimbasa. Went on the Ferris Wheel and fought N, then moved on to battling Elesa.

With Donut on my side she was really easy. Donut quickly took down her two Emolgas and after she was taken out by Zebstrika Pancake went in and finished her off. With the Bolt Badge in hand we followed Elesa out to go bring down the drawbridge (after the... two fights I got from the stadium. lame.) and onto Driftveil City to what I already knew was going to be an easy gym match. Of course, this wasn't before I picked up my fifth member, Oatmeal the Ducklett!

After beat Team Plasma once again in the freezer I actually went to the route beyond Driftveil to level Cereal and Oatmeal up a little bit so they were closer to their other team members. Once I got tired of seeing Emolgas instead of Audinos I then went to face Clay. Right before the fight Donut evolved into Seismitoad! And of course with her fully evolved form in tow she quickly demolished his first two Pokemon (she's quickly becoming an MVP here isn't she) and just for the heck of it allowed Pancake to finish off his Excadrill with Revenge instead of a water type because why not. Right after Clay's gym match Pancake then moves on and evolves into a Samurott! Another member fully evolved.

Once Pancake had evolved I had decided to grind out on the route before Chargestone Cave. One so my latest two members can finish catching up to the other three and two because I didn't feel like going into the cave yet (I don't like going through this cave I find it tedious). So after more Audinos later we now have Oatmeal the Swanna and Cereal the Carracosta! Now four out of five of our members are fully evolved (you'll evolve soon Poptart I promise) and next time we'll tackle Chargestone Cave and go on to face our next Gym Battle, Skyla! I don't expect this game to really be all that difficult from here on out but we'll see knock on wood and all that.

samurott.png

Pancake (Samurott) ♂
Relaxed | Torrent | Level 36 @ Mystic Water
Revenge, Razor Shell, Fury Cutter, Slash

seismitoad.png

Donut (Seismitoad) ♀
Serious | Poison Touch | Level 37 @ Amulet Coin
Grass Knot, Mud Shot, Acid, Muddy Water

panpour.png

Poptart (Panpour) ♀
Hasty | Gluttony | Level 34
Acrobatics, Bite, Scald, Work Up

carracosta.png

Cereal (Carracosta) ♀
Hardy | Solid Rock | Level 37
Aqua Jet, AncientPower, Crunch, Brine

swanna.png

Oatmeal (Swanna) ♀
Hardy | Big Pecks | Level 35
Air Slash, Rain Dance, Bubblebeam, Roost

HM Slaves
pansear.png

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Pokemon Omega Ruby Fighting Monotype Challenge - Part 2 - Badges 2, 3, 4 and 5 + midroute update

Spoiler:

Pokemon Omega Ruby Fighting Monotype Challenge - Part 3 - Badges 6 & 7, New Pokemon & regular trainer battles

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Pokémon Fire Red Dragon Monotype Ultimate Challenge

One thing I haven´t mentioned yet is that I'm catching pokémon along the way to fill my pokédex. The purpose of this is to get the National pokédex so I can eventually beat round 2 of the Elite Four. With that said I have a question. Can I use trainer battles to train the pokémon that evolve through level-up if they aren´t of my chosen type?

My progress:
Spoiler:

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Attachments

• Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_01.png
    Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_01.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 0
    5.2 KB · Views: 0
    5.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Pokemon Omega Ruby Fighting Monotype Challenge - Part 4 - Team Magma, Badge 8, Victory Road and Elite Four (Finale)

Spoiler:

Edit: Also need a smaller challenge to do whilst in transit. I spend a lot of time travelling and often don't have all my carts on me, nor do I particularly want to carry them around. I have the gen 1 and gen 2 games are already pre-installed onto my system so...

Forum User Name: FactoriesFarAway
Game(s): Red
Pokémon Type: Flying
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Pokémon Fire Red Dragon Monotype Ultimate Challenge

My progress:
Spoiler:

Current team:
Spoiler:

Attachments

4.9 KB · Views: 2
    5.3 KB · Views: 2
    5.4 KB · Views: 1
    3.7 KB · Views: 1

Newfi Cheese

It's Newfi Cheese!
Years
Hey all! I'm a complete and utter noobie who loves Pokemon! I'd love any sort of help, since I'm just trying my best out here, attempting a Ultimate Steel Run, since it's my favorite type. I know you don't have to do Gen 1 as Steel, but, I can use two Magnemites and have it count, right? I just wanna make sure. Anyway, moving on!

Forum Name: Newfi Cheese
Games: Leaf Green, Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black 2, Y, Moon
Pokemon Type: Steel
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

Starting with a Moon run I started a good bit ago. There's a ton of stuff that's already happened, but nothing much exciting. Sorry if I'm not good at this kinda thing, I'm new to updating and whatever. Long story short, I'm training up Rufus the Diglett and Twobit the Magnemite for Wela Volcano Park, which is gonna suuuuuuck.

Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Question: Would I be able to use a hack like Moemon for future ultimate challenges, where it doesn't really change anything of importance other than the sprites?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Pokémon Fire Red Dragon Monotype Challenge

My progress:
Spoiler:

Current team:
Spoiler:

Attachments

5.3 KB · Views: 0
    5.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_06.png
    Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_06.png
    5 KB · Views: 0

Newfi Cheese

It's Newfi Cheese!
Years
Continuing in my Monosteel Moon run, Salazzle got absolutely wrecked by Rufus the Dugtrio! But then I got to Lurantis.... This one was difficult. Rufus didn't do much to repel it, so I had to do some serious sand attack cheesing and slowly whittle it down with Twobit the Magnemite. After that dreadful fight Olivia got absolutely Bulldozed! Off to Ula Ula, after picking up a Shieldon. I do have two questions. Is emulation allowed? Im missing Gen 1 2 and 4. Secondly, anyone have tips for baby's first monotype run. Thanks in advance!

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Pokemon FireRed Fighting Monotype – Part 2 - Badges 3, 4 and 5

Spoiler:

Pokemon FireRed Fighting Monotype – Part 3 - Badges 6 & 7

Spoiler:

Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Is emulation allowed? Im missing Gen 1 2 and 4. Secondly, anyone have tips for baby's first monotype run. Thanks in advance!
Emulation is allowed. You don't need to play Gen 1 though, as you can still use FireRed/LeafGreen if you want. You just need one game from each region.

My tip for babby's first monotype run is wide move type coverage and good stats are both more important than Pokemon type coverage. An example of what I mean is you might think Parasect is a good pick-up in a bug or grass monotype because of its fairly unique typing, when in actuality there usually is better options because its movepool is horrid and its stats are awful aside from its Attack.

Newfi Cheese

It's Newfi Cheese!
Years
Emulation is allowed. You don't need to play Gen 1 though, as you can still use FireRed/LeafGreen if you want. You just need one game from each region.

My tip for babby's first monotype run is wide move type coverage and good stats are both more important than Pokemon type coverage. An example of what I mean is you might think Parasect is a good pick-up in a bug or grass monotype because of its fairly unique typing, when in actuality there usually is better options because its movepool is horrid and its stats are awful aside from its Attack.
I don't have FR LG, but with Steel, I'm exempt, right? Doesn't Dragon have to do it with only one mon? Anyway, there's no way to "lose" right? Even if my team composition is garbage and bad moves I can just grind grind grind? Sorry, I've got oodles of questions, other than (mostly failed) nuzlockes challenges are new to me.

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
I don't have FR LG, but with Steel, I'm exempt, right? Doesn't Dragon have to do it with only one mon? Anyway, there's no way to "lose" right? Even if my team composition is garbage and bad moves I can just grind grind grind? Sorry, I've got oodles of questions, other than (mostly failed) nuzlockes challenges are new to me.
Unless you want to restrict yourself in some way, no, there's no way to "lose" by the basic challenge rules. Grinding may test your patience though, it's certainly tested mine at times. *stares at Platinum*

And OP says Steel is exempt from a necessary Kanto game, but I feel that's an odd choice personally, as Kanto is necessary for Dragon type Ultimate even though there's only one Dragon type Pokemon in the game (you just have to use at least 2 of the Dragonite line on your team). OP has been inactive for a long time, so I feel it's something posters in this thread should probably come to a conclusion together somehow about what should be done with regards to that rule. Because to me at least, it makes no sense.

Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Pokemon FireRed Fighting Monotype – Part 4 - Badges 8 and Champion (finale)

Spoiler:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Pokemon White Fighting Monotype – Introduction

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back