• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Silver hack: Pokémon Dark Energy - Beta 5 Released

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I went to your website and downloaded it, it worked out fine that way. For some reason that error only happened hen trying to go from this thread.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2023
Thank you :)

Yes, you can find all the 7 miners, but finding the seventh one is problematic as it's no way explained. Beta 6 will cover hints about a certain adventurer who may under certain circumstances join you as one of the miners. Now then.. you must have recruited 6 miners before you can even find this last one which you have naturally done, but typing this here as someone else could be interested as well.

Given you have recruited the other miners, there is a certain cave/mountain area where this new fellow will show up although there hasn't been anyone there before. You won't be able to recruit him directly as you approach him, but you should get the idea.. :)

OH! I realized who it was as I was reading this post. I think I've actually talked to him before finding the other six, and he just introduced himself (I honestly don't remember if it even gave me the option to recruit him).

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I could use this information real quick if at all possible, what do I need to evolve Scyther into Scizor? I thought perhaps a moon stone would do it considering no other evolution stone logically works on it for this rom hack, but no effect. I wanna know since I want it to learn Metal Claw at 30 (its at 29 now).

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I could use this information real quick if at all possible, what do I need to evolve Scyther into Scizor? I thought perhaps a moon stone would do it considering no other evolution stone logically works on it for this rom hack, but no effect. I wanna know since I want it to learn Metal Claw at 30 (its at 29 now).
Not sure how far you have gotten since then, but I think I have made Scyther evolve by level, and it should evolve somewhere around level 45. I could check out the evolution levels and movesets which these trade evolution pokemon learn, and see if they should be adjusted somehow. It would make sense to have the possibility to get a Scizor knowing Metal Claw indeed. For now, I'm not sure but I don't think I have changed the way Scizor would still learn Metal Claw at lv30. :/

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I have since chosen to get a snorlax rather than scizor, but thanks for the heads up there. I hadn't bothered raising scythe further so I've no idea of what level scizor gets metal claw yet if it learns it post evolution at all.

Also I am a bit let down Venusaur wasn't allowed to learn Sludge Bomb via TM in this, since that would be very helpful in comboing with Leech Seed. Any chance that can be adjusted in the future? and what level does blastoise learn Skull Bash?

Years
"It's been 84 years..."

But seriously tho, the moment you start searching for a romhack to play just out of a thought, and find out that Dark Energy has finally a new beta version after 4.1? It's like a second christmas man! I just can't portray how happy this makes me! Hope that the almost 5 years of waiting is worth it! Keep your work up fellow Finn!

Years
  • Age 114
  • Seen today
Beta 5 offers hours and hours of (possible) excitement, and finishing its main story part should take longer than becoming Pokemon champion in Pokemon Silver. If one also counts all the sidequests as part of the gameplay, the hack takes longer to finish than the whole Pokemon Silver.
so this means the main story is complete, and whats incomplete is postgame/sidequests?

miksy91

Years
Also I am a bit let down Venusaur wasn't allowed to learn Sludge Bomb via TM in this, since that would be very helpful in comboing with Leech Seed. Any chance that can be adjusted in the future? and what level does blastoise learn Skull Bash?
I don't think I have changed the TMs pokemon can learn. Do you know if Sludge Bomb is only teachable to Venusaur in future pokemon generations? Not that that would prevent me from making it learn that move via TM in Dark Energy as well, and I don't see a reason why not to do that :)

Also were the Blastoise's level up moves different? I did adjusted the base stats of the starter pokemon before which I have mentioned in the ReadMe, but I don't think I have touched the level up moves. This is something I could check out though. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to compare if the data is the same as in original Silver rom file.

"It's been 84 years..."

But seriously tho, the moment you start searching for a romhack to play just out of a thought, and find out that Dark Energy has finally a new beta version after 4.1? It's like a second christmas man! I just can't portray how happy this makes me! Hope that the almost 5 years of waiting is worth it! Keep your work up fellow Finn!
And now that you mention it, yeah, I do remember you hanging around in Skeetendo Inc. way back then and also mentioning you're a Finn yourself.

so this means the main story is complete, and whats incomplete is postgame/sidequests?
I didn't actually mean that the main story would be complete. I just meant that playing though the "main story part of beta 5 should take longer than becoming Pokemon champion in Pokemon Silver".

As of now, my plan is to eventually release beta 6 covering more main story, and later the first final version covering the whole gameplay. After that I would add only possible minor improvements and bug fixes on top of it. Postgame is something I don't think is necessary to have. I'll rather have everything accessible for the player right before the final battle.

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I don't think I have changed the TMs pokemon can learn. Do you know if Sludge Bomb is only teachable to Venusaur in future pokemon generations? Not that that would prevent me from making it learn that move via TM in Dark Energy as well, and I don't see a reason why not to do that :)

Yeah venusaur only learned sludge bomb as of the third gen, which is odd as vileplume and victreebel could learn it back in gen 2.

Also were the Blastoise's level up moves different? I did adjusted the base stats of the starter pokemon before which I have mentioned in the ReadMe, but I don't think I have touched the level up moves. This is something I could check out though. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to compare if the data is the same as in original Silver rom file.

My pokemon are roughly 45 on average now, so chances are Blastoise hasn't actually reached the right level, but I wanted to be sure considering seeing as how TMs aren't reusable so I didn't want to teach Blastoise a move that I would also want on another pokemon. Plus I don't want to double up on HM moves (blastoise already has Surf) and G/S/C notoriously had poor TM variety in general.

miksy91

Years
Yeah venusaur only learned sludge bomb as of the third gen, which is odd as vileplume and victreebel could learn it back in gen 2.

My pokemon are roughly 45 on average now, so chances are Blastoise hasn't actually reached the right level, but I wanted to be sure considering seeing as how TMs aren't reusable so I didn't want to teach Blastoise a move that I would also want on another pokemon. Plus I don't want to double up on HM moves (blastoise already has Surf) and G/S/C notoriously had poor TM variety in general.
Okay, I guess I'll have to just edit Bulbasaur's evolution line to learn that move via TM then.
And I also checked Blastoise's moveset learning data for ya. It learns Skull Bash at level 55. That's the same level it learns the move also in GSC.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
@miksy91 unable to play with my old bpy emulator" (for android).
Game crash after the first "in house" dialogue.

Dusterr

The Unchosen Starter
Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Jan 8, 2022
@miksy91 unable to play with my old bpy emulator" (for android).
Game crash after the first "in house" dialogue.

Miksy mentioned that if you're using MyOldBoy then it will not work. If that's the emulator you're using you may have to use another one or wait for a new patch or beta.

miksy91

Years
I investigated a bit more related to the My OldBoy issue today, and was pleasantly surprised to actually find a way to fix that problem! :)
One can thus expect a bug fix to the game crashing on My OldBoy emulator in a reasonable time. The reason I'm not releasing this bug fix yet is because even though I have confirmed the game to actually run properly using it, there might be other oddities playing with My OldBoy I'm not aware of. BloodlessNS (creator of a certain other neat hack on top of pokecrystal) will however test this bug fix, and if the game seems to be working with it as expected, I'll then release that bug fix in public.

In short, there will be a bug fix for My OldBoy crashing coming up. I won't be releasing any other new features yet though, but there has been some work on top of Beta 5.00 done already. Those features will have to wait for another release which might come later in the Spring / at Summer.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
I investigated a bit more related to the My OldBoy issue today, and was pleasantly surprised to actually find a way to fix that problem! :)
One can thus expect a bug fix to the game crashing on My OldBoy emulator in a reasonable time. The reason I'm not releasing this bug fix yet is because even though I have confirmed the game to actually run properly using it, there might be other oddities playing with My OldBoy I'm not aware of. BloodlessNS (creator of a certain other neat hack on top of pokecrystal) will however test this bug fix, and if the game seems to be working with it as expected, I'll then release that bug fix in public.

In short, there will be a bug fix for My OldBoy crashing coming up. I won't be releasing any other new features yet though, but there has been some work on top of Beta 5.00 done already. Those features will have to wait for another release which might come later in the Spring / at Summer.

Miksy mentioned that if you're using MyOldBoy then it will not work. If that's the emulator you're using you may have to use another one or wait for a new patch or beta.

Sorry I missed the message where it is reported.
Thanks for the hack very nice!

Last edited:
Years
Hello Miksy! This is amazing hack and I'm your fan, really great job! Btw, think I'm stuck, have 3 elemental orbs (deep, ice, north) 5 sidequests ( onix, sages, bird trio, adria, abandoned r.c.) is there any trick should be done in rocky mountain? I read the old writing, saw the girl, found some items.. Is fourth orb obtainable? And it's possible to found the keys to the harbour?
Cheers!

miksy91

Years
Hello Miksy! This is amazing hack and I'm your fan, really great job! Btw, think I'm stuck, have 3 elemental orbs (deep, ice, north) 5 sidequests ( onix, sages, bird trio, adria, abandoned r.c.) is there any trick should be done in rocky mountain? I read the old writing, saw the girl, found some items.. Is fourth orb obtainable? And it's possible to found the keys to the harbour?
Cheers!
Hi,
Glad to hear you have liked it! Unfortunately you're pretty much at the end of the current beta. At this point if you return to mystery woods (related to "wood" as mentioned by the archaelogists), the game tells you this as well.

You can keep working on the remaining sidequests if you like, but that's pretty much all you can do at this point. Fourth Elemental Orb cannot be acquired in beta 5, and you can't get HM Waterfall either which is required for progressing forward in Rocky Mountain. If you use "walk through walls" cheat, you can access another room, but that won't take you any further in the mountain yet either.

The harbour area is also something that will be accessible in the next release (yet I have partially scripted the events there as well :laugh-squinted: ). There will be some funny stuff going on there. If someone wants to take a look with JohtoMap and pksv, what might happen there, be my quest.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 21, 2020
Greetings
It would seem now that I just finished reading through all 48 pages and made an account I can not figure out what I wish to say, which seems amusing to me. Anyway, I am fairly unfamiliar with even the idea of .rom hacks and only just found out that there are a great many pokemon hacks available. I actually came to this site because I saw a few hacks for sale on eBay, including Dark Energy and a number of other hacks from you and many others in cartridge form, and I was curious to see what they were like before I actually tried to buy them, which led me to a site that was hosting a version of Dark Energy, and while playing that I eventually ended up here.

Is there a site that is hosting the most current beta? Because the one I was just on only had up to 4.1. I guess I could at least play through that one for now, though I am fully aware that there are a number of changes between it and 5.00, that the save states are not fully compatible and that the differences would make starting over highly advisable.
It does seem like an interesting game. There are a number of people who seem to love this game and find it to be great, in every beta. As of yet, I cannot completely say much about it, because I haven't played much of it yet, and I have not yet played the most current available version. I do like the Silver graphics, with the upgraded sprites. And it is fun playing a character that looks like Gary, and interesting to have others with you.
When I first started I was still in basic have to catch them all mode and filled up my party quickly with Caterpie, Weedle (they may not be the strongest in the world, but they are fairly decent pokemon, I think my brother kept his Beedrill with him even up to the Elite Four in Red/Yellow), Rattata, and Pidgey along with the Bulbasaur you get from beating Beauty and of course our Eevee, though it has been a while since I have had to work with low-level pokemon and how much babying they need those first few levels before they can gain decent exp on their own (yes I do know about the battle simulator, you did a decent job mentioning about it, and I like the fact that I don't have to heal pokemon in between each round).
I think that for a new playthrough I will worry less about catching every pokemon I see though, especially the level 2-3 pokemon seems how this is not a game with the emphasis on catching all the pokemon or even really beating the gyms.
I still haven't decided on a team, but will probably start with Eevee, and Bulbasaur, and get a Magikarp and Magby from the bp, just to get started on training that Magikarp, assuming I still decide to play the hack.
I like having the running shoes in the game, (sort of funny too, as I was just thinking I would like to move a little faster but as it was a silver hack, which was before the running shoes were implemented I didn't really expect to see them, and then there they were!).

I do have to say though that I am not impressed by the English in the game. While it is nothing so drastic as to severely impede gameplay it does detract from my attraction to the game. I do realize you are not a native English speaker, and it may be possible that those working with you to proofread are not native English speakers, or may not use American English. (Of course even amongst native speakers there are some drastic differences in the way we speak or words we use as such.)
I guess I could offer to help, (yes, I am a native English speaker, American English at that, though not sure that is much to brag about, haha) but I believe you did say you had one person and didn't see any need for others (all things considered it is very easy for one person or even many people to overlook some errors even with multiple readthroughs, and there is the degree of competence to be considered) and as I recall you did mention that it was not so easy a matter as copying and pasting in different text so you didn't want to worry too much about changes in the English.
As far as the selling of the game cartridges on eBay goes, if they had been in some way connected to you (which I currently don't think is) I may have considered to buy it in order to support you. But as that is likely an incomplete and now outdated version, then I will forgo the idea of buying it.

The game does seem cool so far, I will see about playing more of it.

And I apologize, that turned into a really long post.

Last edited:

miksy91

Years
Greetings
It would seem now that I just finished reading through all 48 pages and made an account I can not figure out what I wish to say, which seems amusing to me. Anyway, I am fairly unfamiliar with even the idea of .rom hacks and only just found out that there are a great many pokemon hacks available. I actually came to this site because I saw a few hacks for sale on eBay, including Dark Energy and a number of other hacks from you and many others in cartridge form, and I was curious to see what they were like before I actually tried to buy them, which led me to a site that was hosting a version of Dark Energy, and while playing that I eventually ended up here.

Is there a site that is hosting the most current beta? Because the one I was just on only had up to 4.1. I guess I could at least play through that one for now, though I am fully aware that there are a number of changes between it and 5.00, that the save states are not fully compatible and that the differences would make starting over highly advisable.
I'm hosting the hack as in IPS patch file. You can't run the IPS patch directly via an emulator, but what you can do is to "patch" it over a Pokemon Silver rom file. What "patching" does is to change all kinds of data in the rom file so that that Pokemon Silver rom actually turns into Dark Energy Beta 5 rom file.

See this tutorial, and download Lunar IPS in order to do that manual patching they refer to:
https://www.fantasyanime.com/patching#lunarips
It does seem like an interesting game. There are a number of people who seem to love this game and find it to be great, in every beta. As of yet, I cannot completely say much about it, because I haven't played much of it yet, and I have not yet played the most current available version. I do like the Silver graphics, with the upgraded sprites. And it is fun playing a character that looks like Gary, and interesting to have others with you.
When I first started I was still in basic have to catch them all mode and filled up my party quickly with Caterpie, Weedle (they may not be the strongest in the world, but they are fairly decent pokemon, I think my brother kept his Beedrill with him even up to the Elite Four in Red/Yellow), Rattata, and Pidgey along with the Bulbasaur you get from beating Beauty and of course our Eevee, though it has been a while since I have had to work with low-level pokemon and how much babying they need those first few levels before they can gain decent exp on their own (yes I do know about the battle simulator, you did a decent job mentioning about it, and I like the fact that I don't have to heal pokemon in between each round).
I think that for a new playthrough I will worry less about catching every pokemon I see though, especially the level 2-3 pokemon seems how this is not a game with the emphasis on catching all the pokemon or even really beating the gyms.
I still haven't decided on a team, but will probably start with Eevee, and Bulbasaur, and get a Magikarp and Magby from the bp, just to get started on training that Magikarp, assuming I still decide to play the hack.
I like having the running shoes in the game, (sort of funny too, as I was just thinking I would like to move a little faster but as it was a silver hack, which was before the running shoes were implemented I didn't really expect to see them, and then there they were!).
Good to hear you have had fun with the hack so far :)

In case you're interested, implementation of Running Shoes for G/S/C was discovered a long time ago. My implementation in DE would for example be derived from Koolboyman's initial implementation for Prism from 2010:
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9936553
I do have to say though that I am not impressed by the English in the game. While it is nothing so drastic as to severely impede gameplay it does detract from my attraction to the game. I do realize you are not a native English speaker, and it may be possible that those working with you to proofread are not native English speakers, or may not use American English. (Of course even amongst native speakers there are some drastic differences in the way we speak or words we use as such.)
I can imagine the English of beta 4.1 is definitely a turn off for some players. For beta 5, I spent a little bit of time trying to correct such text errors that I was aware of there being myself. My English has gotten a bit better since I started this hack. I'm also pretty sure I didn't pay that much attention to the grammar back when I started, and thus the grammar in the beginning of the hack is worse than in late game.

Also, BlueEmerald did help with grammar back in the day, but I haven't heard of him in a few years.
I guess I could offer to help, (yes, I am a native English speaker, American English at that, though not sure that is much to brag about, haha) but I believe you did say you had one person and didn't see any need for others (all things considered it is very easy for one person or even many people to overlook some errors even with multiple readthroughs, and there is the degree of competence to be considered) and as I recall you did mention that it was not so easy a matter as copying and pasting in different text so you didn't want to worry too much about changes in the English.
If you want to help, I can surely take spend some time handling some grammar errors. If it seems there are lots and lots of minor errors out there, I can't promise I want to spend time taking care of them. The biggest issue correcting grammar errors is that it's, more or less, most convenient to fix them with a hex editor that isn't that suitable for text editing. Thus it takes a lot of time to fix the errors, and I would much rather spend that time working on new features, or developing the hack further.

But yeah.. if you want to help, you could first of all download beta 5.00 (because it doesn't make sense to play with outdated beta 4.1). Beta 5.00 has also some (or maybe most?) of those grammar errors of beta 4.1 already corrected. I'm satisfied with beta 5.00 grammar myself, and you can expect the text of that one to be comparable with what I'm writing here just now (in terms of grammar). Naturally the text there isn't perfect either (and I'm pretty sure my previous sentence was incorrect in one way or another as well, but I'm mostly content with it).
As far as the selling of the game cartridges on eBay goes, if they had been in some way connected to you (which I currently don't think is) I may have considered to buy it in order to support you. But as that is likely an incomplete and now outdated version, then I will forgo the idea of buying it.
I'm aware of them selling my hack, and don't really mind it :)
I would assume most buyers to be aware of the concept of rom hacks, but some definitely aren't (like you were for instance).
The game does seem cool so far, I will see about playing more of it.

And I apologize, that turned into a really long post.
Have fun with beta 5! :)
And don't worry - it wasn't that long a post.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 21, 2020
Was finally thinking of going forward and downloading all the required stuff to play the current beta, but of course, my antivirus does not like with the silver rom or the hack. Ha ha. I don't suppose you have a copy of all the text in the game for editing purposes?

Back