• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My New OU Team

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
This is my new OU team. From past RMTs I've been told I need to work on team synergy so I thought of that when building this team.

swampert.png

Swampert (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Swampert is intended to get Stealth Rock up and can deal decent damage with its attacking moves as well. Grass moves go to Heatran.
---

scizor.png

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Choice Band Scizor is one of the most powerful revenge killers in the game. It picks off Pursuit bait and does most of the general revenge killing with Bullet Punch and sometimes with U-Turn for slower enemies.
---

gyarados.png

Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Taunt

THis is a bulky DDGyara set. Waterfall+Bounce provide excellent dual STAB coverage that's only resisted by Lanturn and Empoleon. Taunt can provide annoyance to Pokemon that aren't directly attacking.
---

jolteon.png

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
-Discharge
-Hidden Power Grass
-Shadow Ball
-Baton Pass

Okay so Jolteon made its way here in order to have a Gyarados check. I chose Discharge over TBolt for greater ParaHax chance. HP Grass takes out Swampert and most other opposing Ground-types bar Gliscor. Shadow Ball hits Latias and Baton Pass is for Passing the Speed boosts I get from Volt Absorb.
---

infernape.png

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spd
Timid nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
-Nasty Plot
-Fire Blast
-Hidden Power Ice
-Grass Knot

Infernape is also pretty good at breaking stall. NP's reasoning should be obvious. Fire Blast is for STAB. Grass Knot hits bulky waters nicely except for bulky Gyarados but after an NP it should 2KO even that. HP Ice hits Dragons and Gliscor.
---

lucario.png

Lucario (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
EVs:
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Crunch

I figured my team is kind of Stall weak so SD Lucario was in order here's what it does to the metagames top defensive threats (credits to Smogon):

Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Skarmory 84.4% - 99.7%
Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Bronzong: 95.2% - 100% (67% chance to OHKO)
Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Hippowdon: 75.7% - 89.3%
Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Forretress: 79.7% - 93.8%
Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Donphan: 82.0% - 96.9%
Crunch vs. max HP / Def Cresselia: 63.5% - 74.8%
Crunch vs. max HP Cresselia: 85.1% - 100% (2.6% chance to OHKO)
Crunch vs. max HP / Def Dusknoir: 88.4% - 100% (21% chance to OHKO)
Crunch vs. max HP / Def Celebi: 78.7% - 93.1%
Crunch vs. max HP / Def Rotom - Appliance: 100%
---
Thanks everyone for your helpful rates!

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
Torment Tran only works with Toxic Spikes, otherwise its dead weight. Switch it to LO Tran or sub + Toxic heatran. Both lure in and destroy waters and helps Gyarados sweep.

Scizor wants 248 HP / 252 Att / 8 Speed or your only defense against Latias takes like 75% from switching into a Draco Meteor and then is KO'd by the following one, that and CB Tar 2hko's it with Crunch. :/

Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2012
Dragon Dance Gyarados 6-0's you without any effort; sets up on Lucario, Swampert, Scizor, Heatran, and Gallade (which is 5/6 of your team! Can also set up on Gyarados if Bounce doesn't paralyze). I would remove Heatran for something that can actually stop Gyarados, such as a Choice Scarf Infrnape with Thunderpunch, or if you want to do something good, remove Gallade, lead with Swampert, make Heatran a Choice Scarf user, and you'll have a leftover slot to counter Gyarados with...So:

*Lead with Swampert
*Make Heatran a Choice Scarf variant
*Remove Gallade for a Gyarados counter / check

There are a multitude of stuff that does the job, but since you are also massively weak to stuff like Life Orb Starmie, you could use a Trick Scarf Starmie. I don't know man, focus on countering Gyarados, there are so many ways to do it and be creative.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
With advice from DA and Metang taken in account: instead of Gallade I will use Specs Jolteon as a Gyarados check. Hetran now becomes NP Nape and Swampert moves to the lead position. I'm changing the main body of the RMT to reflect this.

Last edited:

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
I just don't get why you chose such a strange EV distribution for Infernape, along with the nature you chose, and why you chose a special move set for him instead of a mixed one. And for Jolteon why you chose to teach it roar, and why you chose discharge over thunderbolt.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
I just don't get why you chose such a strange EV distribution for Infernape, along with the nature you chose, and why you chose a special move set for him instead of a mixed one. And for Jolteon why you chose to teach it roar, and why you chose discharge over thunderbolt.

Thats a standard special sweeper EV spread.... he chose special moveset because its a special sweeper. timid nature is for greater speed.

Jolteon has roar 4 PHazing, discharge is for greater parachance.

Salvation

To be saved.
Years
Um just a nitpick,

For Infernape, the spread is 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP or Def and the standard set is Nasty Plot / Focus Blast / Flamethrower / Grass Knot I think :x

Anti

return of the king
Years
Jolteon has roar 4 PHazing, discharge is for greater parachance.

Yes, I think he was going for "what is the point of a PHazing Specs Jolteon and a weaker STAB move" as opposed to what they do.

Indeed, Thunderbolt is better since Jolteon is trying to do the most amount of damage as quickly as possible. Roar wastes Jolteon's Speed and and is just generally inferior to Baton Pass. Yeah if you want "Stealth Rock abuse" it is okay in theory but Jolteon isn't exactly the ideal choice for that, especially given how easy SR is to spin away and how frail Jolteon is.

Moving on to other things, Earthquake serves no practical purpose for Gyarados. Lanturn is obscure (to say the very least) and Empoleon would be insane to try to beat Gyarados. Just use Taunt.

Weird Infernape set, don't really know what it's trying to accomplish specifically (care to specify?). Shadow Ball is basically an inferior Fire Blast that only hits Latias, and that's going to be faster than you more often than not.

Huge stall weak is the number one problem. Nothing on this team comes even close to beating it besides, ironically enough, Infernape. But Infernape can't beat defensive Gyarados or Latias and gets picked apart by residual damage very quickly.

For now, I'm not going to suggest any real changes since you said this team was built with synergy in mind and I'd like to hear the basic strategy of the team before I make any major changes.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Changes made so far:
-Infernape has 252 Special Attack EVs that was a typo before
-Grass Knot on Infernape
-Taunt > EQ on Gyarados
-Baton Pass > Roar on Jolteon

MixNape might be a better set but I don't know what set to use. MixNape has so many moves it can use it's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Years
ide change focus blast to close combat just to be on the safe side of heatran and bliss if ure in a battle and thats your last poke you could have a real turn around.

Last edited by a moderator:

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Where were you even getting Shadow Ball from on Infernape? It's never been able to learn it. ~_~

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Where were you even getting Shadow Ball from on Infernape? It's never been able to learn it. ~_~

I must have been given false info. We were discussing Infernape sets on Shoddy and that move came up.

Well I decided if I use MixApe its best I use Close Combat, Grass Knot, Shadow Claw, and Wacuum Wave or maybe TPunch instead of Shadow Claw.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
I must have been given false info. We were discussing Infernape sets on Shoddy and that move came up.

Well I decided if I use MixApe its best I use Close Combat, Grass Knot, Shadow Claw, and Wacuum Wave or maybe TPunch instead of Shadow Claw.

Shadow Claw sucks ass and so does T-Punch.

An Infernape with no fire move is a sad Infernape i can tell you now Fire Blast>> Suck Claw also use HP Ice >> T-Punch for dragons since Grass Knot already 2HKO's all but the most sp.def Gyarados with SR up.

Last edited:
Back