• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I started getting this error lately after choosing a name while creating a new game.
I would appreciate any help

Error.png

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
Years
URRGGHHHH! could some one PLZ reply? thx!

No need to get frustrated. This thread doesn't exist for the sole purpose of answering people's questions, you know.

Global switches can be controlled via events by choosing the "Control Switches" command. Clicking on the little arrow next to the switch name brings up a dialogue where you can add/edit/remove all global switches in your game.

This is an RMXP feature non-exclusive to Essentials, however, and you're question would've been answered in the RMXP help files or even from a quick Google search.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
URRGGHHHH! could some one PLZ reply? thx!

Please, you've got to be patient. The worst thing to do when asking for help is to be rude.

Anyway, global switches are simply the set of switches that come with RMXP. They are used to control events, such as making sure a player can't get anything out of a treasure chest once he has already opened it and received its item. The counterpart of global switches would be self-switches, which should be used for the event only and should not be relied on for the game as a whole.

Are you even familiar with RPG maker as a whole? While I'd hate to be a spoiler, if you aren't you shouldn't be attempting to make a full fledge pokemon game with this maker yet. You should practice reading the help files and making default projects so that not only you can enjoy game-making, but also learn about the features of your engine. Pokemon Essentials is an add-on to this maker, and if you don't know the basics, using this will be harder than it should be.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I have another doubt very important. I hope you can help me.

How can I delete this effect without delete the script?

efecto.png
What effect are you talking about? The glow? That's because the door event is called "Light" or "OutdoorLight". Rename it.

Use the Pokemon Starter Kit and using the editor that is included, I link one map to another so it does not teleport the character ...
When I link any map in the editor seems that looks good but when you get to play the map you link is black (which would not have to happen) anyone can help me?
PD: will add the pokemon following character...
Sorry for my english ,I'm Argentine...
I was very much tempted not to answer this, because you're so impatient.

Make sure that you place the maps next to each other correctly in the Editor. They should not overlap.

I started getting this error lately after choosing a name while creating a new game.
I would appreciate any help

Error.png
Have you compiled the game (i.e. play it from RPG Maker XP)?

The problem is that it doesn't know how many Pokémon there are in total in your game, which is something that is set during compilation.

jota_rdk

Spanish hacker [Javi4315]
Years
Hello!

Is it possible to change the wild pokémons and battle background at night?

Greetings!!

Years
Anyone know how to create an opening scene in your pokemon game. Can you upload it as a .swf to create a scene, like in the original Nintendo Pokemon games when you leave the menu for a short bit, a scene plays. I wanna be able to create one of those, because I'm a decent animator and I have some awesome cutsenes to make. PM me anyone who could help. All help is appreciated, and accounted for. :)

tylerab01

Pokemon AquaHarmony
Years
Hello, I am trying to make a Wild Pokemon Battle Script but nothing is working, i am using this script:

pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10)

either nothing happens or an error pops up.

Spoiler:

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Hello, I am trying to make a Wild Pokemon Battle Script but nothing is working, i am using this script:

pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10)

either nothing happens or an error pops up.

Spoiler:
A couple of things: first, it helps when you cut the fat out of the error message, like I did above. Second, the line highlighted in blue tells you exactly what to do. So, instead of

pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10), use:

pbWildBattle(
PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10)

(with the first parenthesis on the first line, and the rest on the second line). Also, this question is answered in the wiki, as are many other common questions. I'd really recommend looking around there more when you have problems or just want to learn more about how the kit works.

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
Hello everybody, does anybody know how to, in the newest version of Essentials, make a game where your character can sprint when not using the day/night cycle? I'm sure someone has asked this before, but I can't find an answer anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

tylerab01

Pokemon AquaHarmony
Years
A couple of things: first, it helps when you cut the fat out of the error message, like I did above. Second, the line highlighted in blue tells you exactly what to do. So, instead of

pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10), use:

pbWildBattle(
PBSpecies::SHAYMIN,10,10)

(with the first parenthesis on the first line, and the rest on the second line). Also, this question is answered in the wiki, as are many other common questions. I'd really recommend looking around there more when you have problems or just want to learn more about how the kit works.

Thank you very much for the feedback! But now my issue seems to be that when ever i talk to the shaymin the battle does not take place. >.< Why does this stuff have to happen? When i was working on the Old AquaHarmony this did not happen :p

Last edited:

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
Years
Hello everybody, does anybody know how to, in the newest version of Essentials, make a game where your character can sprint when not using the day/night cycle? I'm sure someone has asked this before, but I can't find an answer anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

How have you disabled the day/night cycle? There's a few ways in which this can be done, but as far as I know as long as you still set maps to be outdoors then running still works fine.

I believe there's a line somewhere (Walk_Run?) which you can modify to allow the player to run when indoors. I'll take a look when I get home and get back to you.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
How have you disabled the day/night cycle? There's a few ways in which this can be done, but as far as I know as long as you still set maps to be outdoors then running still works fine.

I believe there's a line somewhere (Walk_Run?) which you can modify to allow the player to run when indoors. I'll take a look when I get home and get back to you.

Bad idea. Calling a map "outdoor" means more than shading the screen - you can only run outside, and you can only use Fly outside too.

It's also too much work. Just look in PokemonUtilities and find the line that says "ENABLESHADING = true" (around line 314). Change it to false. Job done.
Yeah, today I fond this shading thing.
For run in any non-outdoor maps like DP and posterior games, in Walk_Run
Code:
def pbCanRun?
 return Input.press?(Input::A) && 
    $PokemonGlobal &&
    $PokemonGlobal.runningShoes &&
   (
    pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor) ||
    ($PokemonEncounters && $PokemonEncounters.isCave?)
   ) && 
   !@move_route_forcing && 
   !$PokemonGlobal.diving &&
   !$PokemonGlobal.surfing &&
   !$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
end
change to
Code:
def pbCanRun?
    $PokemonGlobal &&
   (
    pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor)
   ) && 
   !@move_route_forcing && 
   !$PokemonGlobal.diving &&
   !$PokemonGlobal.surfing &&
   !$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
end
To run while using Surf/Dive (without changing graphics) use the above code instead.
Code:
def pbCanRun?
    $PokemonGlobal &&
   (
    pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor)
   ) && 
   !@move_route_forcing && 
   !$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
end
It's only two pages before...

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
That is working as intended.

Since all timing in Essentials is measured by frames (i.e., pbWait, animations, transitions), increasing the number of frames per second - while making things smother - will speed the game up.

Considering that many transitions and animations are by default rather slow, increasing the framerate to 60 is probably a good idea. You'll probably want to reduce the player movement in Walk_Run if you do this, however.

Poccil still responds to PMs on occasion, but suffice to say he is no longer actively working on Essentials. To be honest, there's no real reason to. There's a few broken/missing features, but for the most part it's working fine. There's only been one game in over four years that has actually been completed with Essentials, so I don't blame him for not investing more time into it.
Put I thinks that the more important thing is the thousands of people that used the kit and enjoy. In http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151474 poccil stated that kit is "it's clearly successful".
But you thinks that more completed games can make Poccil back actively working? And Pokemon Crystal Rain is completed.

In the lag subject, for me the lag occur only in the beggining when I open a game.

How do you get it so that other trainers can swim? They can't move because the water is marked as X in the passage and terrain tag 6, so that they can only be surfed on by the player, but this limits movement by other trainers in the water. How do I fix this?
In my version they can swin, but only when I was surfing. If you have tried to surf and they won't move, checks if you have in the PokémonField this piece of code:
Code:
def pbIsPassableWaterTag?(tag)
 return tag==PBTerrain::DeepWater||
        tag==PBTerrain::Water||
        tag==PBTerrain::StillWater||
        tag==PBTerrain::WaterfallCrest
end

def pbIsGrassTag?(tag)
 return tag==PBTerrain::Grass||
        tag==PBTerrain::TallGrass||
        tag==PBTerrain::UnderwaterGrass
end

def pbIsWaterTag?(tag)
 return tag==PBTerrain::DeepWater||
        tag==PBTerrain::Water||
        tag==PBTerrain::StillWater||
        tag==PBTerrain::WaterfallCrest||
        tag==PBTerrain::Waterfall
end

Can anyone explain how battle backgrounds work? I want to have something more than the basic 3rd gen background, but I need to know how to format the background so it works. Is it possible to just put the background in as it is, or do I need to rearrange it?
See the line 1111 in PokemonField
Code:
def pbGetEnvironment
 return PBEnvironment::None if !$game_map
 if $PokemonGlobal && $PokemonGlobal.diving
  return PBEnvironment::Underwater
 elsif $PokemonEncounters && $PokemonEncounters.isCave?
  return PBEnvironment::Cave
 elsif !pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor)
  return PBEnvironment::None
 else
  terrain=$game_player.terrain_tag
  if terrain==PBTerrain::Grass # Normal grass
   return PBEnvironment::Grass
  elsif terrain==PBTerrain::TallGrass # Tall grass
   return PBEnvironment::TallGrass
  elsif terrain==PBTerrain::DeepWater || terrain==PBTerrain::Water
   return PBEnvironment::MovingWater
  elsif terrain==PBTerrain::StillWater
   return PBEnvironment::StillWater
  elsif terrain==PBTerrain::Rock
   return PBEnvironment::Rock
  elsif terrain==PBTerrain::Sand
   return PBEnvironment::Sand
  end
  return PBEnvironment::None
 end
end

Hello!

Is it possible to change the wild pokémons and battle background at night?

Greetings!!
In the above code made changes like
Code:
put
Code:
   time=Time.now
   if PBDayNight.isDay?
   else
     return PBEnvironment::TallGrassn
   end

Remember to change PBEnvironment and put TallGrassn in this example with number of night grafics.
I think that have something with line 1111 in PokemonField.
The only fix that I can thing is to change
Code:

To
Code:
  terrain=$game_player.terrain_tag
  if terrain==PBTerrain::DeepWater ||
 terrain==PBTerrain::Water || PBEnvironment::MovingWater
    return PBEnvironment::CaveWater
  else
  end
And make a new background mixing the base and bg
2-Any news in the anti-lag tips? For me the lag occur only in the beggining when I open a game, anyone had any idea?
3-I probably got missed:
There is a way that I can give the player a item with internal name stored in one variable?

Last edited:

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
then, I can not use pokemon Following characters with pokemon essentials kit?

Well, not with versions going on past from may 2010, try out pokemon essentials Ds if you wanna have your game with the pokemon following character script, they seem to have got it working to a certain extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back