• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Have you thought about having an optional patch to remove the colored text the npcs speak?

I don't know, having the girls speak red while boys speak blue always seemed sort of pointless addition to me.
Seeing as it's nonstandard for the rest of the series, and all other RPGs in general, I could definitely see myself including this. Right now, though, I wouldn't want it forced on people who want the rest of the stuff from the Extras patch. I wouldn't want to include it as its own patch, either, as that's something that people can add to their hacks on their own without much of a hassle. Only if I split every part of the Extras patch into its own patch would I consider doing that...but then I'd have an unruly amount of files to deal with.

I really need to learn how to create a patching program. That, or get help from someone who can do that. At this point, I feel including one is long overdue, and I feel terrible for not having one.

yaya0

は真優勝
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2015
I am using other patches in addition to yours and I found, to my annoyance, that your latest patch in combination with mine crashes on getting the Running Shoes. Did you change anything to do with that?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I am using other patches in addition to yours and I found, to my annoyance, that your latest patch in combination with mine crashes on getting the Running Shoes. Did you change anything to do with that?
The only thing I changed concerning the Running Shoes was that you can now run indoors. A quick test on my end shows no problems with obtaining them.

yaya0

は真優勝
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2015
In other words, my patch (not yours) is the problem. I was able to switch to version 3.8.3 and get the Running Shoes, then switch back.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
In other words, my patch (not yours) is the problem. I was able to switch to version 3.8.3 and get the Running Shoes, then switch back.
That may or may not be the case. All I know is that my patch is not the problem. It could be a whole host of other issues, not necessarily your patch.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
I have an issue to report.

I am currently trying to play v3.90 of this rom hack, and have tried to patch it onto a FireRed BPRE 1.0 with Multipatch. However when I try patching it, it comes up with "failed to apply patch" error. Can anyone help?

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
I have an issue to report.

I am currently trying to play v3.90 of this rom hack, and have tried to patch it onto a FireRed BPRE 1.0 with Multipatch. However when I try patching it, it comes up with "failed to apply patch" error. Can anyone help?

What you want to do is use Lips (Lunar ips) to patch a clean version of fire red BPRE 1.0, this should work flawlessly.

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019
It's been a while since I've posted, but I just noticed a pretty big glitch with the Infinite TMs feature. For some reason, if the Pokemon the TM is used on has fewer than 4 moves and the animation is not skipped, the TM is used up. I'm using the all-in-one patch, and while I only had one Pokemon to check this on (teaching a low-level Rattata Thief), I did confirm that skipping the animation makes it work properly and that it always works on Pokemon with 4 moves.

Also, I'm pretty sure "Leech life" should be "Leech Life." I'm surprised no one noticed this, with how common Zubat are early on...

Edit: Also "Water Spore" should be "Water Sport," there's a guy on the S.S. Anne who talks about Strength but it isn't capitalized correctly, and I believe Lt. Surge still refers to either Electric or Lightning with all-caps at least once.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2016
Have you thought about changing the TM list into the list pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow used? instead of the 3rd gen TM list.

Alex Night

Charmander Shepard
Years
Oh my goodness, man. I'm currently doing a Nuzlocke for Pokemon Throwback with the FireRed rom. I'm already loving the changes you made with this especially the Move tutors and Cut changes where the trees never come back again. I mean, something is up with the Repel system, but that's not a deal breaker really. Anybody who has never played this, needs to play this as this makes FireRed much better to play with. I hope you continue to make this better and better.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
It's been a while since I've posted, but I just noticed a pretty big glitch with the Infinite TMs feature. For some reason, if the Pokemon the TM is used on has fewer than 4 moves and the animation is not skipped, the TM is used up. I'm using the all-in-one patch, and while I only had one Pokemon to check this on (teaching a low-level Rattata Thief), I did confirm that skipping the animation makes it work properly and that it always works on Pokemon with 4 moves.

Also, I'm pretty sure "Leech life" should be "Leech Life." I'm surprised no one noticed this, with how common Zubat are early on...

Edit: Also "Water Spore" should be "Water Sport," there's a guy on the S.S. Anne who talks about Strength but it isn't capitalized correctly, and I believe Lt. Surge still refers to either Electric or Lightning with all-caps at least once.
Welcome back! I'm happy to see that you're still having fun with the hack.

When I first added the decaptialization patch, I noted that there were likely to be a few issues with text that I didn't catch. Having to mess with nearly all of the text in the entire game can cause some issues... especially in an RPG. TBH I don't think that many people actually pay attention to the text in Pokémon hacks if they're not completely new stories, so it's understandable why issues like those might crawl up. I've now updated the download in the OP with the decap fixes. It's not a new version release since it's such a minute issue. If anyone ever finds any more issues with the decapitalization, let me know!

As for the infinite TM issue: I used the version that FBI agent developed. I can confirm that it also happens if you add it to a vanilla ROM, indicating that it's an issue with the ASM code he provided. It's another one of those things that can easily slip by in testing, seeing as most people don't want to sit through the entire animation (or would think that it would be dependent on a function occurring correctly). I'll make note of it in the ASM Resource Thread.

But hey, at least it's magnitudes better than any other solution before it!

Have you thought about changing the TM list into the list pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow used? instead of the 3rd gen TM list.
I'm not really considering it. The original TM list was pretty janky, largely out of necessity. There weren't a lot of moves back then, so many of the TMs used were of moves that didn't exactly deserve the distinction. Would you really be excited to be able to teach a Pokémon Water Gun via TM again?

Also, one of my main goals with the hack is to remain consistent and retain canon and compatibility with the official games. I'm not willing to make a change that messes with that. In this case, changing the TMs would make it so trading over a Pokémon holding a specific TM could lead to that TM changing its move if the donor game is one of the official games.

Oh my goodness, man. I'm currently doing a Nuzlocke for Pokemon Throwback with the FireRed rom. I'm already loving the changes you made with this especially the Move tutors and Cut changes where the trees never come back again. I mean, something is up with the Repel system, but that's not a deal breaker really. Anybody who has never played this, needs to play this as this makes FireRed much better to play with. I hope you continue to make this better and better.
Thanks! I personally find my hack to be an odd one to use for a Nuzlocke since it arguably makes the game easier. But I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying it. :)

What do you mean by "something is up with the Repel system"? I haven't ran into any issues with it while testing via VBA-M.

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019
Welcome back! I'm happy to see that you're still having fun with the hack.

When I first added the decaptialization patch, I noted that there were likely to be a few issues with text that I didn't catch. Having to mess with nearly all of the text in the entire game can cause some issues... especially in an RPG. TBH I don't think that many people actually pay attention to the text in Pokémon hacks if they're not completely new stories, so it's understandable why issues like those might crawl up. I've now updated the download in the OP with the decap fixes. It's not a new version release since it's such a minute issue. If anyone ever finds any more issues with the decapitalization, let me know!

As for the infinite TM issue: I used the version that FBI agent developed. I can confirm that it also happens if you add it to a vanilla ROM, indicating that it's an issue with the ASM code he provided. It's another one of those things that can easily slip by in testing, seeing as most people don't want to sit through the entire animation (or would think that it would be dependent on a function occurring correctly). I'll make note of it in the ASM Resource Thread.

But hey, at least it's magnitudes better than any other solution before it!

Thanks! This is probably my favorite hack at this point, and it's only gotten better!

I tend to automatically read whatever I'm looking at, and with my mother being an editor, little mistakes tend to jump out at me. I'll keep trying to report anything I see! On that note, I think there was a capitalization problem with a sign post outside the Safari Zone. Also, while I do like your new fossil event, I think there were a few problems with it -- a couple of spots where the spacing seemed weird, one or two ellipses that were missing a dot.

I had guessed it was something with his code, since it didn't seem like anything else would conflict with it. I honestly forgot that I could skip it the first time, and remembered when I was experimenting after I reset. Hopefully this last little bug can be squashed!

Also, I've been Nuzlocking this too, and while it does make things easier, it also adds more variety with the Catch 'em All patch. Being able to get things from both versions, as well as having Yellow encounters added too, really helps with the lack of variety early on. Honestly, aside from small decaps errors and such, this has become the definitive Gen 1 remake (at least to me)!

Alex Night

Charmander Shepard
Years
What do you mean by "something is up with the Repel system"? I haven't ran into any issues with it while testing via VBA-M.

Well, it's just that. Whenever I say yes to the option of using another Repel like in newer games, I still get pulled into a battle with Pokemon that are not even on my level. I'll show you what I mean with a video.

http://youtu.be/kkhzhZNZiA0?t=13m7s

Watch from that point on. I distinctly remember pressing the X Button on my controller which was mapped to the in-game A Button. It still didn't work. Regardless of that, the TMs are reusable, the Move Tutors will still teach as many times as necessary, and the trees will stay down when Cut down. This is the only thing that doesn't work for me.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Thanks! This is probably my favorite hack at this point, and it's only gotten better!

I tend to automatically read whatever I'm looking at, and with my mother being an editor, little mistakes tend to jump out at me. I'll keep trying to report anything I see! On that note, I think there was a capitalization problem with a sign post outside the Safari Zone. Also, while I do like your new fossil event, I think there were a few problems with it -- a couple of spots where the spacing seemed weird, one or two ellipses that were missing a dot.

I had guessed it was something with his code, since it didn't seem like anything else would conflict with it. I honestly forgot that I could skip it the first time, and remembered when I was experimenting after I reset. Hopefully this last little bug can be squashed!

Also, I've been Nuzlocking this too, and while it does make things easier, it also adds more variety with the Catch 'em All patch. Being able to get things from both versions, as well as having Yellow encounters added too, really helps with the lack of variety early on. Honestly, aside from small decaps errors and such, this has become the definitive Gen 1 remake (at least to me)!
Not just Yellow, but Japanese Blue, too! I don't remember off the top of my head, but I may have also taken a tiny bit of inspiration from G/S/C. One of the *only* things harder about it is that there are Nidoran in Route 22. Physical attacks can cause poisoning. I can see why Game Freak removed them from FR/LG, but it really does lower variety of Pokémon choices.

Got the Safari Zone sign fixed now! Thanks again for the report.

The fossil event was actually the first custom event I ever made for a Pokémon hack. Ever since it's completion, I haven't really looked back at it to find any issues with it. I always thought it worked well enough for what its purposes are. I may retool it a bit if I ever get around to overhauling certain parts of my hack. One thing I could change is the use of small text for murmuring. I don't think the game uses it anywhere, so a future change would see some alterations to the event to accommodate for that. For now, though, it's fine as it is. The ellipses actually all have three dots. The reason it might not look like it is because they're all really small. The game's letter set has its own distinct entry for ellipses, which is what I elected to use.

Spacing looks fine to me. I don't believe there's a whole lot of consistency when it comes to spacing out sentences. Sometimes they extend to the ends of the dialogue box borders, other times they remain more conservative. Heck, one of the scripts is taken straight from the Game Boy originals, line break and all! If you try to use the Potion from your PC before you get your first Pokémon, the game will say "There is no POKéMON." Except it doesn't look like that. Instead, it uses the same spacing as in the original game, formatted especially for a 160 horizontal pixel resolution:

There is no
POKéMON.

Pretty distracting, no? I actually just decided to fix it for this quick update. I'll probably fix up other issues like those if I can find them and am capable of doing so. Just so long as they don't affect battles.

As for the TM usage bug...I'm not sure what I can do. A fix was found involving nop-ing out some values. Unfortunately for me, my hack already has those hex values at 00. It fixes the issue in general, but my hack won't see a benefit from it. I think a previous implementation of the TM reuse feature may have resulted in that being the case.

Considering this, and several other things that have been dwelling in my mind about it, I've now reached the point where making many more changes to the Extras patch may just cause some things to fall apart due to the age of the hack and my lack of properly keeping things organized for it. I think I may have to start creating individual patches for each different feature in the Extras patch so as to not cause any conflicts in code between things. Well, on my end, at least. I could never expect others to apply patches for every single little feature that they want.

This is where a patching program would come in handy. And I don't mean something like Lunar IPS, I mean a dedicated patching tool for my hack where people could select different features they wanted to patch into their ROMs and then apply it all at once. Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to do that. I know others who might be able to, but I sincerely doubt any of them will be willing to make it for me, and I feel it'd take too long to teach me how to do it myself for it to be worth it.
Well, it's just that. Whenever I say yes to the option of using another Repel like in newer games, I still get pulled into a battle with Pokemon that are not even on my level. I'll show you what I mean with a video.

http://youtu.be/kkhzhZNZiA0?t=13m7s

Watch from that point on. I distinctly remember pressing the X Button on my controller which was mapped to the in-game A Button. It still didn't work. Regardless of that, the TMs are reusable, the Move Tutors will still teach as many times as necessary, and the trees will stay down when Cut down. This is the only thing that doesn't work for me.
What emulator are you using? Are you sure the button you're using isn't configured to more than one GBA button? Whenever you select "Yes" to use another Repel, you should hear the spraying sound and see the message "[Player] used the [Repel Type] Repel." This isn't the case in the video, so clearly something's going on. I just don't know what it is. The Repel system works correctly on my end.

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019
Ooh, I hadn't noticed that! That's really cool! And the Nidoran are kind of a double-edged sword, since they're immune to poison themselves. Nidoran Male in particular learns Peck, right? It could probably solo Viridian Forest without any training.

It dThat makes sense, if it was your first custom event. It does work well enough on the whole, but it just seems a little off compared to the main game. It definitely shouldn't be your first priority, of course. You're right about the small text, though; that seemed particularly out of place (and was probably where I saw the ellipses problem -- I may check again later).

Yeah, text spacing has never been very consistent. Except in the first two gens, and that was out of necessity. I've never seen that particular script before, mainly because I never thought to try using a Potion on nothing.

The TM issue is fine, as long as you make note of it somewhere. By the time I got my 3rd badge, it had completely stopped being an issue (and it only took that long because of the Nuzlocke). On a related note, I noticed that a lot of Trainers talk about how TMs are only one use, which is almost comical when you could potentially have every member of your team learn Secret Power early on. Again, it's probably not something that needs immediate attention, but it is a bit jarring.

I'd say a patching program would be incredibly useful, especially since it could let De-Caps work with as many or as few of the other changes as desired. You could also use it as an opportunity to put in a few convenience features that you might not want in the main Extras patch, like alternate evolution methods for Trade evolving Pokemon. I know my personal set up makes it difficult to trade, so my Haunter may never evolve otherwise... And while I've looked at one solution, it also changes things like time-based evolutions that don't need to be messed with in your hack.

As for Alex Night's Repel problem... It's working for me, too. Just to make sure, do you have the most recent version of the hack? I know that the Repel system was broken in a somewhat recent version.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I really don't know why I never bothered to change the text of the people talking about how TMs are one-time use. I guess they still are in one sense, so I inadvertently did something kinda right! I'll change it if/when I get around to properly fixing the TM issue.

The possibilities really do expand if I change to a patching program. I'd be more comfortable allowing battle changes to be in the hack because they'd be in their own section of the program. It'd say something like:

Augment your Kanto hack further with these changes. Experience the battle styles of the more recent entries in the franchise to keep yourself on top of your game!

DISCLAIMER: These changes will break cross-play compatibility with Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, Pokémon Emerald, Pokémon Colosseum, and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness. These changes can also potentially break compatibility with importing to the Pal Park in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, Pokémon Platinum, and Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver. You have been warned.

With that, I'd finally be fine adding to-the-side options for things such as a Physical/Special split, the Fairy type, altered evolutions, and altered/new moves. The issue is actually making it. I don't want to make any promises I know I can't assure, so I'll just say that I hope it comes to fruition as much as others want it.

One thing to note about such a switch is that I'd have to remove a couple of features from the hack if I changed to that style. For example, I'd no longer be able to have the changed Repel system in the hack. The new system would mean that it would be its own patch, and having it be that way for the Repel feature would be against Darthatron's wishes. I don't really want to attach it to some other feature unnecessarily, either. It'd be like forcing someone to order a side of fries with their cheeseburger. I'm sure there one or two more things that would need to be axed, but I'm not certain what they are.

Alex Night

Charmander Shepard
Years
What emulator are you using? Are you sure the button you're using isn't configured to more than one GBA button? Whenever you select "Yes" to use another Repel, you should hear the spraying sound and see the message "[Player] used the [Repel Type] Repel." This isn't the case in the video, so clearly something's going on. I just don't know what it is. The Repel system works correctly on my end.

I couldn't imagine what the Z key would hit as well since that's been assigned to the A Button for the game. It's Visual Boy Advance which I very much prefer. I don't know how this happens... Also... I'd hate to find something else that happens for me, but...

http://youtu.be/p7KRG0Hoyto?t=32m46s I found some other kind of bug when I went to the Game Corner to check out the TMs because woo curiosity. I don't know if this was already a reported bug and that I missed it (which is likely knowing me lol), but the game sort of freezes on me when I try to take a look at what the TM is at the Game Corner.

I don't know, I still enjoy this ROM hack and I definitely would still recommend this to any Pokemon FireRed fan. It'd just be nice if some of the things would work for me.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I couldn't imagine what the Z key would hit as well since that's been assigned to the A Button for the game. It's Visual Boy Advance which I very much prefer. I don't know how this happens... Also... I'd hate to find something else that happens for me, but...

http://youtu.be/p7KRG0Hoyto?t=32m46s I found some other kind of bug when I went to the Game Corner to check out the TMs because woo curiosity. I don't know if this was already a reported bug and that I missed it (which is likely knowing me lol), but the game sort of freezes on me when I try to take a look at what the TM is at the Game Corner.

I don't know, I still enjoy this ROM hack and I definitely would still recommend this to any Pokemon FireRed fan. It'd just be nice if some of the things would work for me.
That problem doesn't occur for me, either.

Which version of VBA are you using? VBA? VBA-M? VBALink? Are you certain that you are patching the hack to a clean FireRed ROM? And are you certain that the ROM version is 1.0? Are you manually patching the file, or are you letting the emulator auto-patch it? If manually, what program are you using?

Also, can you send me your save file?

Alex Night

Charmander Shepard
Years
That problem doesn't occur for me, either.

Which version of VBA are you using? VBA? VBA-M? VBALink? Are you certain that you are patching the hack to a clean FireRed ROM? And are you certain that the ROM version is 1.0? Are you manually patching the file, or are you letting the emulator auto-patch it? If manually, what program are you using?

Also, can you send me your save file?

Just regular VBA, yes I checked on both VBA and the Pokemon Universal Randomizer, I don't know what you mean by auto-patching it as I used Lunar IPS to patch a new copy of Pokemon FireRed with Pokemon Throwback, and sure I guess I could send you that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back