• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

single player vs multiplayer

Years
it's needless to say that there are some games that do better in their single player stories than multiplayer, and it's also true that there are games that exist that place far more emphasis on the multiplayer aspect than single player.

what do you, as a player, place greater emphasis on? basically, do you care more about one than the other?

Years
I generally don't enjoy multiplayer so I'll take single player content first and foremost. Multiplayer content on the side that doesn't detract from the main game is fine. But I'm not going to complain about clearly multiplayer focused game being focused on that side of the game, I just don't buy or play those games in the first place.

MargatroidCA

Puppeteer of the Hail
Years
Multiplayer can be great, but between not having friends and most people online being toxic as hell, I find it almost impossible to really enjoy any multiplayer-oriented games (with a few exceptions).

So yeah I tend to favour games that focus more on the singleplayer content, or at least ones that have decent alternatives to their online modes.

Cid

Years
it's needless to say that there are some games that do better in their single player stories than multiplayer, and it's also true that there are games that exist that place far more emphasis on the multiplayer aspect than single player.

what do you, as a player, place greater emphasis on? basically, do you care more about one than the other?
Not too long ago I've been really into the multiplayer aspect of Smash Ultimate and Pokémon USUM VGC, and that lasted up to a point. But now, I'm just lukewarm towards either. I guess it really depends on where you get your enjoyment out of the game: from playing it with other people or from the game itself as a solo experience. For me, Pokémon Showdown is still a nice way to get that multiplayer fix, but other than that, I'm confident in saying I prefer single player experiences.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
It depends, I play a lot of shooters and I literally cannot be bothered with the campaigns because the gameplay is so much more exciting with and against others. But I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into Fallout 2 and Fallout NV (Ive put a lot in 1, 3 and 4 also, but no way near as much as 2/NV) and I play through FF6 like once a year.

So I like both, but it's very genre dependent.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
Years
My preference to single or multiplayer depends entirely on the specific game I'm playing. I wouldn't want to jump into Halo multiplayer alone, but Persona 5 is just fine where it is being a singleplayer. I don't have a preference for either personally as long as the game is good, but I tend to gravitate towards small-group multiplayer like Warframe, Borderlands, or Destiny, because I game with my mom a lot.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
Years
I rarely play multiplayer, and I do enjoy playing every time to time even predominantly multiplayer games in single (like, I started playing Smash Bros. as a single player game (specifically Melee) before playing it multiplayer (especially Brawl with friends back when I was in middle school), and still play it mostly as single player nowadays).
The games I generally play multiplayer are all off-line when I'm with my parents, as I don't have any online subscription and having moved home a few times I have few friends near to where I live. We mostly play CTR (which though I play a lot also in single), the Mario Party and Mario Kart series, older F1 games (generally F1 2011 as it has better couch multiplayer options than the others I have), Crash Bash, and back when I had a Wii plugged in at all times also sometimes Wii Sports or Wii Play.

Years
personally, i prefer more of a solid single-player experience. having decent multiplayer is something that would be a nice bonus, but it's not something that i prioritize. i like to get as much as i can out of the single player story content as i can and that's what is most important to me.

Years
  • Age 43
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 6, 2019
I really like multiplayer on xbox and playstation.
On PC, I'd better play singleplayer, but it depends more on friends than on the game, it's always more fun to play together.😃

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen yesterday
Single player all the way. I play video games to relax, not to encounter grievers or have someone scream into my headphones. Pokémon aside, RDR2 is the only game I own with multiplayer, and even then I don't play Red Dead Online.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
I enjoy both Single and Multiplayer games overall, but it does vary with specific games. I've played plenty of games with great campaigns and terrible multiplayer, great multiplayer and mediocre story, and just some where both suck. The crown jewel is of course the game with both modes well executed.

Glameow

Purrrfect~
Years
I've rely been into playing single player games lately. I'll jump on Overwatch on a rare occasion. That's kinda it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I mostly do single player campaigns, as I'm an JRPG fan for the stories. Heck, most of the games I play don't even HAVE multiplayer.

Pokemon and Mario Kart are the only games that I play their multiplayer modes with some frequency, and even so I'm not constantly on their multiplayer. Well, them and Super Mario Bros./SMB3 if you consider "my buddy plays as Mario until they die, then I play as Luigi" to be multiplayer.

I'm horrible at drifting in Mario Kart and I'm held back in Pokemon since I don't use the same strong Pokemon as all the competitive players.

Back