• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Textbox Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Textbox Editing​
Like my Grass editing tutorial, another quirky little edit.​

What you'll need:
Visual Boy Advance
Tile Molester (Or TLP or TileEd)
Hex Editor (Anything with a search function, XVI32 is a basic freeware hex editor)
A Rom (This tutorial uses a Fire Red rom)
For tools, Google is your friend.

I've written this tutorial for 12 steps and about 9 of them cover just finding the box. Okay, I'll get started now.
Step 1. Open up your rom in VBA and run it to a screen that shows the textbox. Avoid using the Oak Intro, as the following steps do not work with it. This is the place I used.
1636-Pokemon-FireRedVersionUS_02.png
Step 2. Now open up the map Viewer in VBA
Step 3. Click the corner of the textbox already in the little screen.
mapview.png
Step 4. Take notice of the tile, which is important now and the palette, which will play a little part later.
Step 5. Open up the tile viewer and find the tile viewer and find the corner tile. The Char base is found in the Map View.
Step 6. Now check the palette just to make sure. Remember the palette number, that's what it is. The first palette is 0. The last palette is 15.
tileview.png
Step 7. Take note of the Address.
Step 8. Now open the memory viewer to the the address tthat I said to take note of from the tile viewer.
memoryviewer.png
Step 9. Now search for 5-6 of those bytes in your preferred hex editor. You should only come up with one hex address which is somewhere near 0x41F280.
Step 10. We're almost done now. Open up TileMolester or TLP or TileEd, whichever one you prefer and go to the address that was brought up in the hex editor.
Step 11. Look it's the boxes that were in the map viewer. Change this to whatever you want. I don't want to go over the editing of the tiles in TileMolester as it's basically paint. If you can use Paint, you should find TileMolester really basic.
Step 12. Let's see how it looks. Open up your rom in VBA. Ta-Da. You just edited the text box. Here's my really lazily edited version that I did in about a minute. I'll make a better looking one later on.
1636-Pokemon-FireRedVersionUS_01.png
Now here's a good looking one, changed and also with a palette edit.
1636-Pokemon-FireRedVersionUS_01-3.png

And I hope you learnt something today. Visual Boy Advance is a tool aswell. Don't take it for granted.

Last edited:

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
Nice tutorial TTTT, good to see you back hacking FireRed, or are you?
Well The blank spaces between the frame of the text box and the text, is that normal?

Years
Nice tutorial TTTT, good to see you back hacking FireRed, or are you?

Ummm... yes and no.
Well The blank spaces between the frame of the text box and the text, is that normal?
No, but like I mentioned in the tutorial, this was about a minute job and I forgot to add the white parts. Later today I'll get a better looking one up and I might add an image of Tilemolester.

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
Years
Great tutorial, I've learned this already, but this will help a lot of people, I get spammed my newbs on how to do this :)

Master_Track

ROM Reaverz Scripter
Years
When I saw the link in your sig to this tutorial, I was prepared that it will be as great as all of your tutorials.
and...it is :D
Thank you for this, I'll for sure use this.
It's really well explained and understandable even for n00bs.
Good Job :cool:

Sky
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
How to edit pallete?
Can you help me? (Pokemon Ruby)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back