• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Seraphim

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Team Seraphim

Introduction

Genesis is very nearly finished and I need some help polishing things off. Any projects you might have, I (and the rest of the team) would be glad to help out with as well. We won't be a huge group because I know from experience that large teams don't work. I won't be accepting just anyone either, I have very strict requirements for the open positions. As a former moderator and founder of the ROM Hacking Newsletter I have a proven record in leadership. Under Team Seraphim Genesis will be completed.

Current Staff

Projects

• Pokémon Genesis
    "In the End everything returns to the Beginning..."
    vk2h.png
    mifpc4.png
    illua8.png

Open Positions

• Mapper
    Prerequisites: A mapping style consistent with the maps already in Genesis.
  • Scripter
    Prerequisites: A working knowledge of every command. Good grammar and spelling.
  • Spriter
    Prerequisites: A style consistent with FR/LG sprites and/or tiles.
  • Storyline Editor
    Prerequisites: A good knowledge of western religions and their history. Excellent grammar and spelling.
  • Music Composer
    Prerequisites: Knowledge of how to insert and loop music. Ability to compose original music or convert existing music.

Application Form

HTML:
[B]Name:[/B] 
[B]E-Mail:[/B] 
[B]IM:[/B] 
[B]Position:[/B]
[B]Proof of Work:[/B]

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Name: Player
E-Mail: [email protected]
IM: none but I can make one
Position: Map
Proof of work: attached
Sorry but your mapping is quite what I want.

Name: Harris
IM: Same as above
Position: Mapper and Spriter
Proof of Work:
Spoiler:
I can't accept you as a mapper but I do like your spriting. However it isn't the kind of style I'm looking for. Could you do an OW (just the front sprite would be fine) of the heroine? The only important feature is that she has to have black hair. Everything else is up to you.

Name: Dratii
Position: Mapper
Proof of Work:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Thats perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. To start off with could you do a remap of Munis Lakeside? You can do whatever you want with it. Starting fresh would be best.

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
Years
Hows this?
heroin10.png

I made two versions, one in pink and one in red.
I hope you liked the hair band thingys that I added for uniqueness..

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Name: Jake
E-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]; I can check the bitshed one more readily and it has less spam! :D
IM: [email protected], although I haven't been able to get on much lately
Position: Storyline Editor
Proof of Work: Well, there's not too much I can show as proof of this, but I'll do what I can. I have pretty much near-perfect grammar and spelling. Here's two of my longer posts that I've written (albeit a while ago), but yeah. 1 2

If you want some storyline-ish examples, I have some things of my own hack that I've written that I can send you. As far as dialogue goes, I'm pretty creative. ;)

Um, I have a pretty good knowledge of most history. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I could learn about it anyways. XD

Also, I've been having some internet troubles, but I can check PC generally every day during school (iTouch) but I won't be able to respond to anything until I get home and have an excuse to get on the computer. So.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
You two are both in. Unfortunately I'm extremely busy till the 16th so I won't be able to come on PC till then. See you guys then!

Years
Name: Haroun
E-Mail & IM: [email protected]
Position: Scripter
Proof of Work:
Spoiler:

Please and thank you.

Last edited:

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
Years
Name: simon
IM: [email protected]
Position:mapper, spriter, tile editor(if needed^^)
Proof of Work: (they are all only these that i use for my hack thats why i don't have manny^^)

Spoiler:

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Thank you so much Thrace! So What OWs do ya want first?
The Heroine OWs, make it the one with the hair bands. Would it be possible to use the same palette as the hero's? You can get the palette from the latest Genesis beta. If you can't use those colours then don't worry about it, we'll just insert a new palette.

Name: Haroun
E-Mail & IM: [email protected]
Proof of Work:
Spoiler:

Please and thank you.
Yup you're in. Don't worry, I'll have detailed explanations of what I want for every script. I don't have anything for you to do right now but I'll let you know when I do. I've added you on MSN. You can download the scripting standards file I've attached. Its missing some stuff but I'll tell you those over MSN.

Name: simon
Position:mapper, spriter, tile editor(if needed^^)
Proof of Work: (they are all only these that i use for my hack thats why i don't have manny^^)

Spoiler:
I'm afraid I can't accept you as mapper even though some of your maps are quite nice. I can't accept you as a spriter either since you haven't provided proof of FR/LG style tiles.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Name: Sean
Proof of Work: This post contains the final draft of a random weather script that I collaborated with Darthatron on. The bulk of the script was written by myself but Darthatron chipped in a few, very useful, add-ons such as the check for the current map's weather and map type. If you want proof that I was the original conceiver of the script, this post contains the very first draft (which, though it will work, contains a few bugs that cause the odds to work differently in-game).

I'm going to be honest with you, it's been a while since I've done any major hacking. My "working knowledge of every command" is probably a bit rusty (though my spelling and grammar are in top shape) but I'm hoping that by joining a team, I can refresh my memory and get back into hacking again. I've also been experimenting with GBA development (Vrai can back me up on that ;) ) and I'm working towards implementing that knowledge into hacking.

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
Years
I'm afraid I can't accept you as mapper even though some of your maps are quite nice. I can't accept you as a spriter either since you haven't provided proof of FR/LG style tiles.

well, the maps are ruby maps and they are not the best, its the 5 last i made for my hack, i have of course better than this, and the tiles are also the last i done but don't worry i started doing a completly new tileset, now i even hesitate if i need to use my new tiles for my own hack or for this team^^

but well, i'll see........

and i'll also post my new tiles ;D

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Name: Sean
Proof of Work: This post contains the final draft of a random weather script that I collaborated with Darthatron on. The bulk of the script was written by myself but Darthatron chipped in a few, very useful, add-ons such as the check for the current map's weather and map type. If you want proof that I was the original conceiver of the script, this post contains the very first draft (which, though it will work, contains a few bugs that cause the odds to work differently in-game).

I'm going to be honest with you, it's been a while since I've done any major hacking. My "working knowledge of every command" is probably a bit rusty (though my spelling and grammar are in top shape) but I'm hoping that by joining a team, I can refresh my memory and get back into hacking again. I've also been experimenting with GBA development (Vrai can back me up on that ;) ) and I'm working towards implementing that knowledge into hacking.
Thats great. You're in too. I've already asked Darthatron for some help on this but it couldn't hurt to ask you too. There are some very important events in Genesis that are flashbacks. To emphasize their importance I want to make everything grayscale and have black bars on the bottom and top (like in the intro to FR/LG). Think that might be something you could do?

well, the maps are ruby maps and they are not the best, its the 5 last i made for my hack, i have of course better than this, and the tiles are also the last i done but don't worry i started doing a completly new tileset, now i even hesitate if i need to use my new tiles for my own hack or for this team^^

but well, i'll see........

and i'll also post my new tiles ;D
OK, I look forward to seeing these new tiles. :D

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Thats great. You're in too. I've already asked Darthatron for some help on this but it couldn't hurt to ask you too. There are some very important events in Genesis that are flashbacks. To emphasize their importance I want to make everything grayscale and have black bars on the bottom and top (like in the intro to FR/LG). Think that might be something you could do?

Thanks for the admission.

As for the flashback, I wrote a routine which adds a border to the player's window. Here's a video of it. I can make the borders thinner if you want (they're currently 16px in width and I can make them 8px). Making things grey will take a little while because I'd have to write an algorithm to convert whatever palettes are currently loaded into a grey color of the same darkness. But right now, I've got schoolwork to finish. :(

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
So I thought that creating a shade of grey from each individual color would be hard until I looked up the Wikipedia article on Greyscale. Turns out that using the formula "(11*R + 16*G + 5*B) / 32" (where R, G, and B are the red, green, and blue values of the original color, respectively) yields a pretty close representation of the original color but using only grey. This is also really nice because I've heard that doing division with ASM is fairly difficult but because the divisor (32) is a power of 2, the division can be done with a single instruction. Anyways, after toying around with the formula, I eventually implemented it into a routine which immediately converts all of the palettes into greyscale. Here are my results.

I tried to keep it as close to the model as possible, with the model being the clips that play when you load up your save file. The colors generated with my formula are actually a little bit darker than the ones used in the "Previously on your quest..." countdown but only slightly and that's understandable seeing how Game Freak probably used a slightly different formula for obtaining those values. To see the difference, compare my greyscale with the official greyscale. Also in keeping with the official model, the routine changes all of the palettes in both the BG and OBJ palette memories except for the last three palettes in the BG Palette Memory. These are used for things such as the textboxes and, as noticeable in the video, the START menu. After observing the effects of the official greyscale, I noticed that they didn't touch those three palettes so I, too, left them as they were. I figure it will help with the flashback seeing how having the option of colored text might be nice.

Now that the bulk of the code is out of the way, I think we should focus on its implementation. Obviously, when a flashback plays, the colors aren't going to instantly change to greyscale. I'm thinking that before the flashback, you use a "fadescreen 0x1" command to fade the screen completely to black. Then, after a pause, we use a "callasm" command to fade-in to the greyscale palettes (this would require some more code but nothing unmanageable, I think). We could try to use a "fadescreen 0x0" to fade back in but it would most likely (I haven't tested it) load the original, colored palettes. In order for it to fade-in to the grey palettes, we would have to hack the command and frankly I think it would just be easier to write a fade-in routine from scratch. I also think that a nice touch would be to, as the fade-in is occurring, move the two border strips into position. I could alter the code so that they start just off-screen and then, one pixel per frame or two, they could be shifted down/up respectively until, after 16-32 frames, they are in position.

Eh, I'm just throwing out ideas here. It's your hack so your opinion is what matters. I've just been thinking about how we could realistically implement the code while making it look nice as well.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
thrace10.png

Here is the frames
Those look great but I think the clothes are a bit too dark. I'll insert them tomorrow and see how they look and get back to you on whether you should make any changes.

So I thought that creating a shade of grey from each individual color would be hard until I looked up the Wikipedia article on Greyscale. Turns out that using the formula "(11*R + 16*G + 5*B) / 32" (where R, G, and B are the red, green, and blue values of the original color, respectively) yields a pretty close representation of the original color but using only grey. This is also really nice because I've heard that doing division with ASM is fairly difficult but because the divisor (32) is a power of 2, the division can be done with a single instruction. Anyways, after toying around with the formula, I eventually implemented it into a routine which immediately converts all of the palettes into greyscale. Here are my results.

I tried to keep it as close to the model as possible, with the model being the clips that play when you load up your save file. The colors generated with my formula are actually a little bit darker than the ones used in the "Previously on your quest..." countdown but only slightly and that's understandable seeing how Game Freak probably used a slightly different formula for obtaining those values. To see the difference, compare my greyscale with the official greyscale. Also in keeping with the official model, the routine changes all of the palettes in both the BG and OBJ palette memories except for the last three palettes in the BG Palette Memory. These are used for things such as the textboxes and, as noticeable in the video, the START menu. After observing the effects of the official greyscale, I noticed that they didn't touch those three palettes so I, too, left them as they were. I figure it will help with the flashback seeing how having the option of colored text might be nice.

Now that the bulk of the code is out of the way, I think we should focus on its implementation. Obviously, when a flashback plays, the colors aren't going to instantly change to greyscale. I'm thinking that before the flashback, you use a "fadescreen 0x1" command to fade the screen completely to black. Then, after a pause, we use a "callasm" command to fade-in to the greyscale palettes (this would require some more code but nothing unmanageable, I think). We could try to use a "fadescreen 0x0" to fade back in but it would most likely (I haven't tested it) load the original, colored palettes. In order for it to fade-in to the grey palettes, we would have to hack the command and frankly I think it would just be easier to write a fade-in routine from scratch. I also think that a nice touch would be to, as the fade-in is occurring, move the two border strips into position. I could alter the code so that they start just off-screen and then, one pixel per frame or two, they could be shifted down/up respectively until, after 16-32 frames, they are in position.

Eh, I'm just throwing out ideas here. It's your hack so your opinion is what matters. I've just been thinking about how we could realistically implement the code while making it look nice as well.
That looks fantastic, exactly what I wanted. The difference is very slight between the two so thats fine.

Most of the time the flashbacks involve warping to black space on a new map and then scrolling down to show the event (not sure if that makes sense I wish I had a video to show what I'm talking about). We can use callasm at the very start of the level script while the screen is still in the black area. I don't think the fading is necessary because of that, the same goes for the sliding up/down of the black strips. I really love those ideas though and there are quite a few flashbacks I haven't scripted yet so we'll probably be able to use those ideas in at least one flashback.

I'm going to be a bit busy for a while, I promise that this is the last time I'll be busy (for a long time anyway). I'll be back in two days and I'll send out the patch to everyone then.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Most of the time the flashbacks involve warping to black space on a new map and then scrolling down to show the event (not sure if that makes sense I wish I had a video to show what I'm talking about). We can use callasm at the very start of the level script while the screen is still in the black area. I don't think the fading is necessary because of that, the same goes for the sliding up/down of the black strips. I really love those ideas though and there are quite a few flashbacks I haven't scripted yet so we'll probably be able to use those ideas in at least one flashback.

I think I get what you're saying. And yeah, that makes the issue of fading irrelevant. Though if you ever do need a fade-in, I think I might know how we can do it. It combines both the method that you're using and my method. First, we map out a portion of a map with all black tiles (like the way you've been doing it) and then, when the player is warped to that area, we use a fadescreen to set all the palettes to black (the player won't notice this change at all because the tiles that the player can see are already all black). Then we move the camera down to where the event is mapped out but, again, the player won't notice anything because everything is black (this time, because of the palettes, not the actual tiles). Finally, using a custom routine, we slowly fade-in to the greyscale palettes. It's definitely not the cleanest way of doing it but it's probably the easiest and it's unlikely that it'll cause any bugs. The alternative would be to hack the routine that runs whenever a player enters a new map via a warp and add a piece of code that checks if a flag has been set. If it hasn't, then nothing different happens. But if it has, then control will branch off, take the color that would be written to the Palette Memory, and convert it to its greyscale counterpart before storing it in the Palette Memory. Seeing how I don't know anything about that routine, however, I say that for now we stick with the first method.

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
Years
Those look great but I think the clothes are a bit too dark. I'll insert them tomorrow and see how they look and get back to you on whether you should make any changes.

Ok, Just tell me as soon as you can as to the changes you want.

Back