• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriter's Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnfsf11

Your Venusaur is almost perfect, but you used too many shades of every color & made it look less like a sprite, instead you could just reduce the number of shades per color & dither a bit like you did in the flower, which is fine for me, also a bit of contrast please. The shadow beneath the chin is somewhat not going with the light source, which was supposed to be from the back (the worst place for a light source tbh).
Other than that the sprite is fine, the shadow around the background is not needed & should be removed.
I'll post the picture for you ^^
venusaur_by_taratos-d5kmpg9.png

F13rC Pulse,
The far right sprite is good (the humanoid thingy), somewhat small but good. I don't have anything else to add so maybe a pro will find some flaws in it & tell us lol {XD}
As for the other 2 I think you could use colors with a bit more contrast, also adjust the light source and the outlines around the tentacles & the red thingies. Other than that I see no problems with your sprites & good luck with your future works. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
I just started with spriting so I basically have no experience, but I tried to sprite one of my fakemon anyways lol.
(x2 the original sprite size)
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2014
@F13rC Pulse
Great improvement from your previous version of Musdkal! I find the pose and size of Musdkal fine, though Shudthistl looks a bit small compared to other sprites (I used Cacturne for size reference). There's also a bit of inconsistency with shading on Shudthistl.

@reshilegend
Very nice job for your first try! Interesting concept for a bird type fakemon, and great job for not overdoing your color palette. I suggest working on shading and outlining, also you can check out a couple of bird pokemon like Starly or Taillow for bird's feet and tail reference. :)

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
Very nice job for your first try! Interesting concept for a bird type fakemon, and great job for not overdoing your color palette. I suggest working on shading and outlining, also you can check out a couple of bird pokemon like Starly or Taillow for bird's feet and tail reference. :)

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to improve my shading and outlining. :)
I actually used Starly's and Pidove's sprite as a reference for the body but didn't really pay attention to the feet or tails too much. Will work on that as well.

Years
@ares10
It's best to save pixel art in the .png or the .gif format, especially the former. Just to clarify, this place is for posting original and scratch work.

Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2016
@F13rC Pulse
Great improvement from your previous version of Musdkal! I find the pose and size of Musdkal fine, though Shudthistl looks a bit small compared to other sprites (I used Cacturne for size reference). There's also a bit of inconsistency with shading on Shudthistl.

Thanks for the approval of my Musdkal, I don't think there is anything that needs changing on it.

Exactly how big can I make Shudthistl?
I'm going for a Firered sprite size, so I may have picked the wrong dimensions for its max size.

I agree about the shading and I'm definitely going to look into picking better colors for it.

Ęℓαчиıı

Blizzagon used Arctic Claw!
Years
Hey there, guys.

I'm back again with my latest sprite, Chioras. I need some help with the outlines, again. Hopefully, the sprite itself is decent...

chioras%20sprite.png

Years
The pose is great, Viv. The outlines are actually the main problem, as it appears to be very jagged due to the anti-aliasing. I don't think it's required to have it there and if you do want it, there are more smoother and simpler ways.

97sfo1.jpg

First of all, I've only fixed up most of the head, I'll leave the rest for you! :D

In the B/W style usually colours are dark and all but they consist of:

• a base colour
  • one shade
  • a darker shade mainly for outline
That means that the one shade can be used in various ways such as anti-aliasing along black outlines, or brighter sel-out and mainly to shade. You have a lot of black outline which is understandable because of the B/W dark style, but you can use that darker shade to outline the parts the light source touches and create a more smoother outline.

The pose and outline is great, most you could do is pay attention to your light source and your selective-outlining. If you would like I can show you what I would do to fix up the whole sprite or the bottom half.

Ęℓαчиıı

Blizzagon used Arctic Claw!
Years
The pose is great, Viv. The outlines are actually the main problem, as it appears to be very jagged due to the anti-aliasing. I don't think it's required to have it there and if you do want it, there are more smoother and simpler ways.

97sfo1.jpg

First of all, I've only fixed up most of the head, I'll leave the rest for you! :D

In the B/W style usually colours are dark and all but they consist of:

• a base colour
  • one shade
  • a darker shade mainly for outline
That means that the one shade can be used in various ways such as anti-aliasing along black outlines, or brighter sel-out and mainly to shade. You have a lot of black outline which is understandable because of the B/W dark style, but you can use that darker shade to outline the parts the light source touches and create a more smoother outline.

The pose and outline is great, most you could do is pay attention to your light source and your selective-outlining. If you would like I can show you what I would do to fix up the whole sprite or the bottom half.

I'd really appreciate you showing me, Logie.

I keep switching styles; it's either HG/SS or Black and White. I'm just not too keen on the outlines, if they were just solid black, I'm sure I'd be fine. xD; I'm still trying to learn and it seems outlining and anti-aliasing just get me. Hmm, I'll try to give it another shot later on... I'll practice with this one.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I just missed Elaynii's sprite ;;

Anyway I'll show you the latest thing in my workshahp!!!

BattleBGInTraining_zps57ee540b.png

i don't vant anyone to steal this plz dont
can u plz comment i have a lot to learn

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
Rate my fakemon sprites which im going to put into my pokemon hack

i only got 1 its called T-Red (ha playing on t-rex cos hes red XD) so please rate it and tell me wot i need to improve it coz i no it's not the best. but i still think its really good.

please dont steal because i know my sprite is good but it is mine!

T-Red.png

guys seriously halp me. my brother says my sprite is crap so i need help too make it better

Last edited:

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
You know, if you really want to know if it's well done, just compare yours with an official Pokemon sprite, and ask yourself,
"Does mine look good, or at least decent, compared to this other one?"

Maybe if you made it a little less "messy" and applied at least some small shading, it would look a bit more decent for other people, like your brother :P
And do you notice the outline?
Usually, the outline isn't just drawn and left like that. It's usually gone over to remove some inconsistencies and screw-ups.

And here's a great link to better explain what I'm saying :D
http://www.dragonflycave.com/recoloring.aspx

It's near the middle, and the title is "scratch sprites"

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
ah yes i see. here's my new one, as u can see i used shading this time and tidyed up the lines a bit. wot do u think?

T-Red-1.png

Years
Sorry, Papajones33. To have your own thread, you require at least 4 scratch/original pixel art pieces. Here are some basic tips to help you; most of which Sunfished has already said:

• Clean outlines like Pokemon sprites do
  • Shading
  • More thought out designs and concepts (sketch them out with ideas!)
  • Look at existing work to guide you
  • Use references for poses
  • Use colours from Pokemon sprites that you can get from this link to help you out with basic palettes
There's more that can be said and hopefully others can help ya out. You can check out Chesu's tutorials as well!

Years
The outline is actually a great improvement and much better from before. Another factor you have to pay attention to is palette diversity and colour count. Not every colour can be strictly just darker from the previous colour. Keep in mind contrast as well as your black colours are really dark.

Here is my edit that I said I would do for ya:
24yn78k.jpg

ps. use it if you want. :P

These are things that I changed;

• I defined the light source more having it a little less dark because of the hood
  • Your sprite had 18 colours and I reduced it to 13
  • I added a more texture-like shading for the hood
  • The shading for the other part is a little more accurate (although I'm still not sure myself how it works)
  • Changed a bit of the purple's hue
  • Slightly fixed the curve part of the eye/antenna
  • The scarf is more in position and completely new (I tried to make it look like the artwork)
Your sprite had a red colour: #750000 that was only used for two little pixels that are on the eye and the gem, so what I did was
1. Remove the red
2. Change the base of the red
3. Changed the hue of the mouth
4. Used the new pink colours to help with the gem and eye

I'm sure there can be more done to my sprite, so take what I said and try to apply it to another future sprite. :D

Also, keep in mind that try to not have a lot of colours dark as black because It's not really necessary to have both black and the dark colour if they are really close to each other. If that's the case then either remove one or the other.

Good luck! Keep pixeling.

Emerald_Fire

(Insert Espurr meme here)
Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2014
Hey, I have made some sprites of my own. It's not exactly a fusion, and more of taking some parts from this and that to make something new. I've also named them!

picture.php

This is Electronio.

picture.php

This is Muonico.

picture.php

This is Tauonico.

I hope they're good. I think they can pass for regular Pokemon.

Years
Hey, I have made some sprites of my own. It's not exactly a fusion, and more of taking some parts from this and that to make something new. I've also named them!

picture.php

This is Electronio.

picture.php

This is Muonico.

picture.php

This is Tauonico.

I hope they're good. I think they can pass for regular Pokemon.

You might be grasping the concept of pixel art, but first things first, never use anti-aliasing or 'auto-blurring' tools as pixel art is mainly based on just the pixels with shape,bucket and pencil or related tools.

q: but i can see pixels, why isn't it pixel art?
a: basically pixel art must be produced by hand(mouse/tablet) plotting individual pixels onto digital canvas to create sprites or pixel art.

Look at Tauonico for example,
his black outline is really blurry to due an auto-anti-aliasing from resizing the shape. You shouldn't be using blur tools or brush tools from Photoshop or those other programs. Program like Windows XP paint or GraphicsGale is better suited for Pixel Art.

Sketching down ideas is good to, this way your designs are unique as you really have 3 ghost-like Pokemon with very similar and plain features. Embellish and draw the designs and concepts first or at least have a clear mind of an embellished design in your head before you pixel it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back