• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Hello, I kind of need help deciding something regarding using other peoples resources

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 12, 2022
Hi, sorry for making another thread - but I was wondering about something, well for my first game - I want there to be moves and pokemon that don't seem to be here already - and there seems to be a few choices for resources that I can use to do that. The thing is though, I do want to kind of challenge myself with this, and I feel like if I do that - I'm kind of taking the easy way out, since the most I know about rpg maker are doing little events - and I feel like I'm going to miss out on learning coding and stuff. (Though I guess at the same time, I am kind of worried about using other peoples stuff - though I think that's silly since the essentials was made by people who are probably wizards irl - because this thing is insane).

Though I mean, I guess I'd be okay with that if it means my chances of making a game are more feasible - and I am pretty adamant about drawing every pokemon that doesn't have a sprite in essentials myself though, so even if I didn't have the coding stuff I'd still have the art side to challenge myself with.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this. Sorry if this sounds weird.

But I guess doe anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I should try to learn how to put in the new pokemon myself or just use something that's pre-made (not counting the sprites I guess)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 19, 2023
I would advise you to draw on whatever you can find (and which is public, of course). Making a game is time-costly and public resources are a great way to spare you some time. Of course, you may learn more things if you do it yourself... That being said, resources like sprites or PBS files are not always the most exciting thing to spend time on. It could take you a lot of time to make decent sprites while some people are expert at it.
If there is one thing you may want to do it on your own, I would say it is the scripting part, but it might be the hardest one. Again, starting with existing resources helps.
Another point is that downloading resources is just the first step; you have to implement and understand how they work anyway. Things are rarely 100% plug and play.

Reactions: FL
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 12, 2022
Well, Ok. I guess what I'm mostly interested in right now - is moves (especially animation wise) I'm absolutely fine drawing sprites for pokemon (even if it will take awhile and I'm sure people will have made better sprites) - though I probably won't do all of them, because I don't think I'm going to need everybody.

I guess there really isn't much left to answer here then - but I'd really appreciate if anyone knew any good resources to look at so I can weigh my options, specifically ones that add in moves from gen 6 + 7.

Back