• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
What is the easiest way to edit attack descriptions in fire red?
If A-text (which I assume is the only text editor you could use) doesn't let you edit more than one description at a time and you would have to search for another one, one after another, don't use it.

I recommend using a hex editor, possibly Translhextion or GoldFinger (I use GF myself but I can't say whether it's really the best hex editor out there, others like WindHex could be better too) and a FireRed table file.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,13825.0.html

What you've gotta do is to copy the contents from that site to a notepad file, and change the extension from .txt to .tbl. After you have done this, a hex editor can open up that file and use it for "translating" bytes to the language defined with the contents of the table file.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
I have a question. Hope someone can answer.

How would I go about getting rid of the truck ANIMATION when you start up Pokemon Ruby? I know it's not a level script that is causing the animation to occur, so I'm guessing it involves some ASM hacking. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance!

Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2012
Soooo I'm brand new to ROM hacking, and having a little bit of trouble understanding how to add events and such. I'm messing around with LeafGreen (I hope this isn't a problem, I don't see many posts referencing it, but I assume it works the same as FireRed). I added a house on Route 1, and was going to include a warp to it's interior...

To test I could even make a working warp, I just wanted it to send you into Oak's Lab back in Pallet Town, so I set the Warp No to 0, Map Bank to 4, Map to 3. File->Save. Then I try to change which map I'm editing, and it keeps prompting me to save the map... I click yes, it just keeps me on Route 1, try to change again: Save? Yes. Back to route 1... I booted the ROM up to test and it most definitely hasn't saved...

Sorry if this is a bit ramble-ish, but I'd like to know why this isn't working, or how to actually save my new event? :x

Herpahermaderp

I liek Mudkipz
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 3, 2017
Ok, I've been repeatedly trying to insert this sprite
003_Tsunomon_zps47147704.png

Using Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor. Everything goes well when I insert it, it's just when I try to fix the palette's, it crashes. No errors, just closes out the program. It does this with Kapurimon as well. Any ideas on how to make it stop?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Soooo I'm brand new to ROM hacking, and having a little bit of trouble understanding how to add events and such. I'm messing around with LeafGreen (I hope this isn't a problem, I don't see many posts referencing it, but I assume it works the same as FireRed). I added a house on Route 1, and was going to include a warp to it's interior...

To test I could even make a working warp, I just wanted it to send you into Oak's Lab back in Pallet Town, so I set the Warp No to 0, Map Bank to 4, Map to 3. File->Save. Then I try to change which map I'm editing, and it keeps prompting me to save the map... I click yes, it just keeps me on Route 1, try to change again: Save? Yes. Back to route 1... I booted the ROM up to test and it most definitely hasn't saved...

Sorry if this is a bit ramble-ish, but I'd like to know why this isn't working, or how to actually save my new event? :x

Did you get any type of error message at any point? If not, close Advance Map, (which I'm going to assume your using), open up your game and test it out. If it did indeed save, then it is probably just a small bug that probably won't happen again after you restart Advance Map. If it didn't save, still, just try it again. Also, what version of A-map are you using? The newest one (1.95) was a beta and has a few bugs. If there was a specific error message, its number and description would be appreciated.

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Ok, I've been repeatedly trying to insert this sprite
003_Tsunomon_zps47147704.png

Using Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor. Everything goes well when I insert it, it's just when I try to fix the palette's, it crashes. No errors, just closes out the program. It does this with Kapurimon as well. Any ideas on how to make it stop?
I'm not sure if this is the issue or not but it seems to work better when you insert each one at a time instead of 2 at a time. Either that or you insert all 4 in a single picture. Are you sure that it's sized properly too?

Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2012
Did you get any type of error message at any point? If not, close Advance Map, (which I'm going to assume your using), open up your game and test it out. If it did indeed save, then it is probably just a small bug that probably won't happen again after you restart Advance Map. If it didn't save, still, just try it again. Also, what version of A-map are you using? The newest one (1.95) was a beta and has a few bugs. If there was a specific error message, its number and description would be appreciated.

Ty for the reply. :)

No errors, just won't save for me. I tested in-game and my changes weren't there.

I ended up running 1.92 (via GBA Pokemon Game Editor (super nifty collection of tools, I might add)) and I haven't had any issues adding/removing/changing scripts/warps/events and such. Guess I'll just have to juggle back and forth between versions depending on what I want to do. :P

Now to dive into the nitty-gritty of scripting, hoorah. :D

Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2013
I am currently working on my first rom hack, and while testing it i found some bugs that I did not know how to repair. (I'm hacking fire red btw)

1) I had set Route 1's pokemon to what i wanted them to be. But at some point when I changed it it gave me some kind of error thing. It went away so I thought nothing of it. But when I went to test what i had done so far the only pokemon there was a Sunflora, randing from level 0 to 100. When i go into advanced map the pokemon i want there are still set there. (the pokemon i wanted there had been there before when i went to go test in game.

Then there is the worse one.
In my version of Viridian city I deleted the man with the PokeTV because anyone that was going to play my ROM would probably already know what to do. But now when I try to leave the city from the north towards the forest, the game freezes and in the backround I can see a sprite pop up that was not there before, and i cant find him on A-Map. I can leave the city from the west without any problems though.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I am currently working on my first rom hack, and while testing it i found some bugs that I did not know how to repair. (I'm hacking fire red btw)

1) I had set Route 1's pokemon to what i wanted them to be. But at some point when I changed it it gave me some kind of error thing. It went away so I thought nothing of it. But when I went to test what i had done so far the only pokemon there was a Sunflora, ranging from level 0 to 100. When i go into advanced map the pokemon i want there are still set there. (the pokemon i wanted there had been there before when i went to go test in game.

Then there is the worse one.
In my version of Viridian city I deleted the man with the PokeTV because anyone that was going to play my ROM would probably already know what to do. But now when I try to leave the city from the north towards the forest, the game freezes, I can see a sprite pop up that was not there before that is behind me, and i cant find him on A-Map. I can leave the city from the west without any problems though.

Last edited:

Terrac

Scrambled Egg
Years
Hi! Me and a friend (fireguy135) are working on a new rom hack (our first official one, but we've had a bit of experience poking around with tools and stuff), and we were wondering, is there any way to delete a map in advancemap without it adding new blank banks and just moving it around? everytime we try to delete a map we end up with extra banks and we don't know what went wrong... any help would be appreciated, thanks! and we're hacking emerald and using advancemap 1.90.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
Ok I'd didn't have time to go through 900 pages of this so I don't know if my question has been answered.
When I edit most maps with advanced map in pokemon ruby it will mess up my game by making it start up with a white screen. I've tried thee hole 128k save file thing and it didn't work. I won't even edit the script and it gets screwed up. All I will do is change the size (sometimes), or add people or just change the ground. On routes an that kind of thing I have no problem with but if I change let's say little root town it screws up. I usually try to put in my own maps and just use that but I can't add the chose pokemon script or the poked script or any other specials without it getting messed up. I would love some help on figuring out why.
Thx in advance!!!!

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2014
Anyone know how to add a complete new tileset in Advance Map? I'm hacking Emerald and I want to add DP and Platinum tiles into it, but I don't want to damage or change any of the prexisting Emerald tiles. I've seen some people with whole new customs tilesets (with insanely large tileset numbers), but aren't that many tutorials out there. I did see LU-HO's tutorial, but it is closed and most of the links and pictures are broken. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :3

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2014
Yeah..., it's been a while ever since I posted last...
>Though... Question...

How does one edit Abilities, (their effect in battle/name/description/etc.)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back