• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Extensive Title Screen Hacking

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
@ pokefanT: Find it, then click "save as"

@ Wiggletghfh: I don't remember try searching and if you see a piece of the title screen then it should be in that area.

@ Inferno-ape: Could you post a picture so we can help?

@ indoheckrz: Search in the same area as the other title screen pieces. Then it's the same process.

@ meganium14: You need to break it up into separate rectangles that are the length of the final product. Then, match each piece up according to it's place in the original. So in other words, the top bar in yours needs to match up with the top bar in the rectangle. I know that's confusing but it's the only way I can think of putting it.

@ tboandfshady: There is another way. It's called tilemap editing. It has more flexability but is still pretty difficult for first timers.

Sorry if I'm intruding myfavouriteax I was just trying to give some advice. I don't think you'll mind though, less typing for you!

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Hey guys!
*waves*

Updated my previous post.
The correct offset for the pallete of the charizard is 00EAD5E8.

Whoops...

RomGenius

Bad Ass ;)
Years
How do you use UNLZ. I tried using it for my pokemon leaf green. Even downloaded it a few times. Still won't work. Will not reconize my ROM. And every other program will just not this one. Anyone know what's up with that or know of a program that will edit the title screen?

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
How do you use UNLZ. I tried using it for my pokemon leaf green. Even downloaded it a few times. Still won't work. Will not reconize my ROM. And every other program will just not this one. Anyone know what's up with that or know of a program that will edit the title screen?

Close down all other programs that your rom is open in and hen try again. If that doesn't work, check the rom's header or download a new rom.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2010
Needed Programs:
-unLZ-GBA
-Gameboy Advance Emulator
-Hex Editor
-Advance Palette Editor (APE)

Needed unLZ-GBA numbers:
-2011 = the Charizard tilemap
-668-1498 = random pokemon sprites
-2013 = "Gamefreak inc." logo
-2009 = "Pokemon Firered Version" tilemap

Hacking the Title Screen

Open your rom and go to 2011. Select "Use Black/White", and use the "+/-" buttons until the picture looks like the one displayed.
First.png

Click "Save As", and save it as a .png file. Click save as a second time, and save the same picture with a different name. Open the file in paint. Extend the workspace to allow yourself more workroom. Arrange the image as so. Save the finished image twice as well.
Two.png

Next, select the black colour from the image, and clear it, so you're left with only a black image in the same arrangement.
Three.png

Now. Go back into unLZ-GBA, and find a pokemon you want to replace the Charizard with. I'm going to use Caterpie, because I'm lame. Make sure it is in Black and White before clicking save as. Open it in paint, and copy/paste it into clear space. Try to make it touch the back of the clear space.

Four.png

We need to re-arrange the image back to it's original form. Open the second, unedited Charizard picture you saved in step two, as well as the other second edited Charizard picture. Use both of these images as a reference, and move the blocks back into shape.
Five.png

Yes, really. It's supposed to look like this. Open up unLZ-GBA yet again, and go back to 2011. Click "Import", and select the image you just saved. Click "Write to Rom", and OK. Very good! It has been indexed into the game. Open up your emulator and check it out! Don't get your hopes up however, we still need to palette edit!
Six.png

Palette Editing the Title Screen
So you may notice the Caterpie looks a bit ridiculous. You'd have to be mental not to. The Caterpie is still in the Charizard's palette. Open up Advance Palette Editor and your Hex Editor (I'd recommend Hex Workshop). I think it's much easier to hex edit palettes then to use APE, but you may find differently. Open your rom in the emulator and maneuver to the title screen. Click Tools and Palette Viewer.
One.png

Now all you have to do is find the palette. I've circled it for you because I'm bored. Now we need to write down all ten of the the colours in hexadecimal. However, before we write them down, we need to separate and switch them. It sounds more difficult then it actually is. For example, the darkest colour in hex is 0x0004. We remove the "0x", and separate it into two groups of two numbers. 0004 would become 00 04. Then all you do is switch the two sets. 00 04 would now be 0400. It's that simple. If you do that for every colour in the palette, you will get 1F7C 1F7C 1F7C 0400 0600 0800 0B00 8F00 9300 D600 1901 7B01 FC01. Now put it all together and search for 1F7C1F7C1F7C0400060008000B008F009300D60019017B01FC01 in your hex editer.
Two-1.png

Open up APE. This obviously is used to edit the palettes, but I much prefer hex editing, as it is MUCH easier. Go to Tools, and Colour Picker. Now, before I hear any remarks about how unprofessional this tutorial is about to become, I'll tell you that this part is rather unprofessional. Open up paint. Open a picture of your sprite in colour. Now, use this as a reference. Right now, I can see on the titlescreen that Caterpie's ... antler(?) is the darkest colour in Carizard's palette (0x0004), therefore, when we look at the sprite of Caterpie, we see that it is a medium tone of red. A lot of this is guessing and checking. We find that tone of red in APE's colour picker, copy down the four digit hex value, and replace the value in the Hex Editor.
Three-1.png

Good, good. Now do that with every value (if needed) until your sprite is in its' original palette.
Four-1.png

Now. The rest of the screen can be palette edited as well. Just follow the same basic steps. Open up VBA, and go to Palette Viewer. Find the colour of the object you wish to change (for example, the red bar at the top), search for the string of values, find a colour you want it to be, and replace. Here's the screen after I palette edited.
Five-1.png

Yeah, I know this is hard to understand, but it's even harder to explain. If you have any specific questions, just PM me.

Coming Soon!
-Editing "Pokemon Firered Version" text
-Editing "2004 Gamefreak inc" Text
-Editing the fire
The thing im tryin to do is change the light green sorta bluish to gray ive tryed lookin over and over and no luck

Years
i'm confused

I'm confused with this. i'm a begginer to this,i'm still confused with a lot of programs like this, like unlz.gba, every single time a make a sprite it's all glitchy.

BlixxNova

THEY GOT EATEN BY WILD POKEMON
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 4, 2011
I do know that this is a rather late post, but I would like to know; is the Editing "Pokemon Firered Version" text up yet? I could really use that!

Years
Can someone that uses ntme to edit the title screen help me out? i put the sprite i want to change from charzard into the tile map and change the sprite from 0 to D. then i write it to the rom and dump the raw on tilemap 2012. for some reason the backgroung changed to all orange and the spite is the flames. ive followed youtube videos exactly and still get the same error occuring everytime. if you know how to resolve this issue plz let me know how. thx

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2016
Fire help

How to remove the fire from titlescreen. Its showing in my screen. Plz help me someone. Pm me thanx to all

How to remove the fire from titlescreen. Its showing in my screen. Plz help me someone. Pm me thanx to all

Last edited:
Back