Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

TrollandToad.com

Old August 14th, 2016 (10:15 AM). Edited August 14th, 2016 by mej71.

Since these questions get asked fairly often, and are of general intrigue, I figured we should go ahead and address some common questions.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Are fangames legal?
Technically speaking, no. If they desire, Nintendo has every right to request a Cease & Desist (C&D) from your project. If you are using Pokémon, their assets (tiles, sprites, fonts, etc), it is an infringement upon Nintendo's IP, and they can take legal action against you if you refuse.
That being said, as long as your game doesn't become to big or use completely different gameplay (like Evoas), they will probably not notice or care. Develop at your own risk.

Can I sell fangames?
No, as I've previously stated, they are not legal to begin with (even without monetary gain), and you cannot sell them (or set up Patreons, or any kind of paywall). If you insist on having them anyway, you cannot have those links (or potentially your game) in this forum.

But what if I'm making a non-Pokémon game that is similar? Can I sell if for profit if I use Essentials?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
If you're using Essentials, you don't make money off it. Simple as that. The engine wasn't made for other people to monetize it.

Relevant Advertising!

Quick Reply